Jump to topic:

Theists: Define God

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 11:24:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Mhykiel and I have had a little disagreement on the definition of God. Maybe you all can help us resolve it:

How do you define your god?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 11:36:58 PM
At 7/10/2015 11:24:30 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Mhykiel and I have had a little disagreement on the definition of God. Maybe you all can help us resolve it:

An invisible person who exists outside our universe who doesn't feel compelled to act when millions die of starvation and disease but if two consenting adults of the same sex marry will send earthquakes and hurricanes.............cause you know that is just crossing a line.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 11:37:58 PM
God is The Undefinable, That Which is Beyond All Abstraction, The Unnameable with many names, whose every motion is full of but beyond analysis, The Uncorrupted Data, The Beyond Transcription, The One whose shadow is all that can be observed.

The Totally Objective, The Ultimately Real, The Way Things Are, The Eternal Existence, The Most High, The Truth.

I can rattle off 10,000 names, and yet it will still be a mystery. Truly, it is God who reveals.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
ReformedPresbyterian72598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:20:19 AM

God is a spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, in His being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:40:14 AM
At 7/10/2015 11:36:58 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

An invisible person who exists outside our universe who doesn't feel compelled to act when millions die of starvation and disease but if two consenting adults of the same sex marry will send earthquakes and hurricanes.............cause you know that is just crossing a line.

Yes, this is the definition agreed upon by most modern theologians.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:42:34 AM
At 7/11/2015 12:40:14 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/10/2015 11:36:58 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Yes, this is the definition agreed upon by most modern theologians.

Please provide your definition.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 1:12:52 AM

God is a personification of all the forces, processes and principles in the universe.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 1:48:24 AM
"The object of attitudes valorized in the major religious traditions is typically regarded as maximally great. Conceptions of maximal greatness differ but theists believe that a maximally great reality must be a maximally great person or God. Theists largely agree that a maximally great person would be omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, and all good."

http://plato.stanford.edu...

" Theism is the view that there is a God which is the creator and sustainer of the universe and is unlimited with regard to knowledge (omniscience), power (omnipotence), extension (omnipresence), and moral perfection."

http://www.iep.utm.edu...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 1:52:01 AM

Isn't "an intelligent creator of the universe" good enough?
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 4:09:44 AM

How can you disagree with a theists definition of God? It's simply a label for something they believe exists. You have no say in what their beliefs are, ergo you have no say in the definition of God.

Unless, the disagreement is that their definition of God is not defining. I have yet to see one that is.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:51:40 AM

God, the true God Jehovah, is the creator of all that we can see, as well as what we cannot see.

He is the Giver of Life, to all, even those who are too ungrateful to give him the respect he deserves, including too ungrateful to care for the beautiful planet he has given us as a home.

Should we really be surprised that he is not going to tolerate their depredations for much longer?

Just like Satan, the one they follow, knowingly or not, their time is limited, and will soon be over, leaving those of us who wish to show Jehovah the respect he deserves with the peace we deserve, and the opportunity to show our gratitude by accepting our role of caring for the earth and all that is on it, rather than continually raping and abusing it as mankind does at the moment.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 7:17:01 AM
At 7/11/2015 5:51:40 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

God, the true God Jehovah, is the creator of all that we can see, as well as what we cannot see.

He is the Giver of Life, to all, even those who are too ungrateful to give him the respect he deserves, including too ungrateful to care for the beautiful planet he has given us as a home.

Should we really be surprised that he is not going to tolerate their depredations for much longer?

Not much longer? Dude, you - like your BotchTower cohorts - have no idea at all of the century that Jesus may return. You don't even know the millennium. So why issue those ridiculous predictions? It was 1874. Then 1914. Then 1915. Then 1918. Then 1925. Then the 1930's. Then the 1940's. Then, after a slight breather, it was 1975. And since then it's been "not much longer."

You have what's known as a "newspaper eschatology": you read the paper and watch the news, then think you see some sort of "fulfillment", andddddddd, "Things are bad. Things are getting worse. The end is near." End-times cults have been preying on such as you for the last 250 years.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 8:39:16 AM
At 7/11/2015 7:17:01 AM, annanicole wrote:

Not much longer? Dude, you - like your BotchTower cohorts - have no idea at all of the century that Jesus may return. You don't even know the millennium. So why issue those ridiculous predictions? It was 1874. Then 1914. Then 1915. Then 1918. Then 1925. Then the 1930's. Then the 1940's. Then, after a slight breather, it was 1975. And since then it's been "not much longer."

You have what's known as a "newspaper eschatology": you read the paper and watch the news, then think you see some sort of "fulfillment", andddddddd, "Things are bad. Things are getting worse. The end is near." End-times cults have been preying on such as you for the last 250 years.

Sorry Anna, it is you who has no idea - of anything scriptural.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 8:46:28 AM

Creator and giver of life....is that it? Focus more on the definition and less on the proselytizing, please! ;-)

Just like Satan, the one they follow, knowingly or not, their time is limited, and will soon be over, leaving those of us who wish to show Jehovah the respect he deserves with the peace we deserve, and the opportunity to show our gratitude by accepting our role of caring for the earth and all that is on it, rather than continually raping and abusing it as mankind does at the moment.

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 8:51:56 AM

Come on, Anna. Your here, the question is already warmed up, why not take it for a spin? How do you define God?

annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 9:05:58 AM
At 7/11/2015 8:39:16 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

I know what's not scriptural, though - and the Jehovah's Witnesses sub-sect constantly telling people, "It's right around the corner" is not "scriptural." It's the same old, same old employed by others. They become professional prognosticators and sign readers.

As the Southern negro Witnesses say,

"Things is bad. Dey's very bad. Den all of a sudden, dey gits wuss. Lawd, Lawd. Peoples is fightin. Peoples is hongrey. Things is bad."

That's all the Witnesses BS amounts to: a newspaper eschatology.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
18Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 9:28:24 AM

https://www.youtube.com...
praise the lord Chin Chin
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 9:34:07 AM
At 7/11/2015 9:28:24 AM, 18Karl wrote:

https://www.youtube.com...

You win the most unique definition award. :-)

missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 10:17:49 AM

The very definition of god , means god can't be defined.
To define something is to give it boundaries or limits.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 2:50:21 PM
At 7/11/2015 9:05:58 AM, annanicole wrote:

I know what's not scriptural, though - and the Jehovah's Witnesses sub-sect constantly telling people, "It's right around the corner" is not "scriptural." It's the same old, same old employed by others. They become professional prognosticators and sign readers.

"Things is bad. Dey's very bad. Den all of a sudden, dey gits wuss. Lawd, Lawd. Peoples is fightin. Peoples is hongrey. Things is bad."

Sorry Anna, that is precisely the message Christ taught his followers to give. 100% scriptural.

No-one knows for sure how long the corner is, but it get;s ever shorter, and cannot be much further now.

What you choose, wrongly, to call "Witness BS" is purely based on acn coming from scripture, so ti is God's word you insult, not theirs, again, just as Jesus foretold.

All you are doing is fulfilling Jesus words, and those of the Apostles, to our benefit and your loss.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 2:53:59 PM
At 7/11/2015 8:51:56 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Come on, Anna. Your here, the question is already warmed up, why not take it for a spin? How do you define God?

I can answer that for her.

She defines God as an unjust sadistic being who believes in publishing people twice for one crime, and the second time in a non existent hell of torment.

I am sure you can imagine how God feels about her continually describing God that way against all that scripture teaches.

All because she cannot understand scripture, especially Luke 16, about the meaning if which she could not be more wrong lol.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 2:54:44 PM
At 7/11/2015 10:17:49 AM, missmedic wrote:

The very definition of god , means god can't be defined.
To define something is to give it boundaries or limits.

So? God has his limits, even if they are self imposed.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 2:57:19 PM
At 7/11/2015 8:51:56 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

PS, Anna is not interested in the topic, just following me around the site attacking me and the JWs, lol.

Still it gives me a reason to post the truth in answer to lol, without Anna I would not have so many chances to get the truth out there, lol.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 3:00:28 PM
At 7/11/2015 2:50:21 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 7/11/2015 9:05:58 AM, annanicole wrote:

Sorry Anna, that is precisely the message Christ taught his followers to give. 100% scriptural.

Not concerning His 2nd literal coming.

No-one knows for sure how long the corner is, but it get;s ever shorter, and cannot be much further now.

MCB: "No-one knows for sure how long the corner is"

Bingo. The BotchTower has proven that.

MCB: "but it get;s ever shorter"

Ummm ..... yeah. That's obvious.

MCB: "cannot be much further now"

You fell off the deep end and couldn't resist the BotchTower party line.

What you choose, wrongly, to call "Witness BS" is purely based on acn coming from scripture, so ti is God's word you insult, not theirs, again, just as Jesus foretold.

All you are doing is fulfilling Jesus words, and those of the Apostles, to our benefit and your loss.

That the BotchTower for the last 140 years. And it characterized other similar lunatics 50, 100, 150, 200, 250 years before that.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 3:00:59 PM
At 7/11/2015 8:46:28 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Creator and giver of life....is that it? Focus more on the definition and less on the proselytizing, please! ;-)

What more do you want? That is precisely what God is.

I suppose I could have added that he supports and cares for that life, pruning out the "weeds" and encouraging the good "growth" as any good gardener does.

As for proselytising.

Since it is not up to me how people react to what I preach, and I have no organisation to proselytise people to that is not a very accurate complaint.

As it is all I do is pass on jehovah's message to you all. As I say, what you do with that message is between you and him.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 4:45:29 PM

Interesting, you've received a plethora of word salads that have no meaning, yet each one of those who provided a word salad are adamant they know God. Good question, hilarious answers.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:31:42 PM

An invisible man in the sky who:

- Loves you, but will spend all eternity torturing you for not being convinced of his existence

- Is perfectly just, but will pardon you for committing murder if you come to Jesus afterward

- Doesn't involve himself in human affairs because that would violate free will, but is to be thanked for the meal we are about to enjoy for dinner

- Is all knowing, yet was surprised when Adam and Eve ate from the tree he told them to not touch, thus deserving no blame for it

- Is all powerful, and yet incapable of stopping Satan from opposing him

- Exists outside of time, yet took 6 days to create the universe

- Seems perfectly fine with dashing babies against rocks, but very concerned with what you do with your left hand at night.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:37:27 PM

God is all energy which has always existed. It cannot be created or destroyed but simply IS what it IS at all times in the past present and future.
It manifests in innumerable forms through physical things in the universe.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:44:11 PM
At 7/11/2015 4:45:29 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Interesting, you've received a plethora of word salads that have no meaning, yet each one of those who provided a word salad are adamant they know God. Good question, hilarious answers.

I predicted we would have an many different answers as there were people who answered. It looks like I was pretty close.

Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 10:50:10 PM

The definition I presented as being acceptable and inclusive to describe the majority of Deist or Theist concepts of God was:

The God that created the heavens and the earth and all life in them.