Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Good Resources on Greco-Roman Gods

Mhykiel
Posts: 6,127
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 4:04:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/12/2015 1:15:49 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
Does anyone have any good ideas for books that I may be able to find at a library?

What's the interest?

For me the path into reading about the greco-roman gods came from art. Many pieces of artwork and poetry allude to names, places, and events in the greco-roman mythology to form analogies.

Best compilation of those myths that became a great resource for understanding artwork is Ovid's Metamorphoses.
Nicoszon_the_Great
Posts: 167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 10:25:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/12/2015 4:04:33 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/12/2015 1:15:49 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
Does anyone have any good ideas for books that I may be able to find at a library?

What's the interest?

For me the path into reading about the greco-roman gods came from art. Many pieces of artwork and poetry allude to names, places, and events in the greco-roman mythology to form analogies.

Best compilation of those myths that became a great resource for understanding artwork is Ovid's Metamorphoses.

I'm interested in learning more about Athena specifically, but the Gods seem to be a decent metaphor of the human condition.
celestialtorahteacher
Posts: 1,369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 10:41:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
They are. In fact Gnostic Christians conceived an emanation of human emotions from a Godhead as angels, like mini gods, and that went for pagan gods in general representing emotional states or otherwise human attributes, e.g. Fortuna, Goddess of Luck, e.g. Venus, Goddess of Love.

Silly monotheists attempt to make a claim for a Single God of All but really, they can't do it, as our human minds just refuse to comprehend God as less than the way we are, male and females, that's two divisions of "God" right there. That's why even the religions claiming God is an unknown abstract Thing call God "Father" and treat God as if It were a Man with male feelings and attributes of men.

Because Abrahamic religions are based on swearing allegiance to this or that set of religious beliefs and rules in a religious loyalty oath type of way and not based on spiritual contact with God which is left to others, the prophets of old and their writers in the Bible, Abrahamic believers are taught to make war against other types of worship of God or gods representing a Cosmic Order. But its all the same human attempt to make sense of reality by structuring it in religious mythological terms.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 9,343
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 11:17:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/12/2015 1:15:49 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
Does anyone have any good ideas for books that I may be able to find at a library?

Hesiod's Theogeny, and Ovid's Metmorphoses. I like Sandys' translation of the Metamorphoses in particular.
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it."
- Lord Dunsany -

"The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? "
- W. B. Yeats -

Virtutem videant intabescantque relicta
Emilrose
Posts: 5,424
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 10:03:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/13/2015 9:30:11 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/12/2015 4:13:01 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Ewww you Pagan.

Is there a problem?

U a Pagan.
Reasonslap
Posts: 221
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 10:04:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/13/2015 10:03:57 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 9:30:11 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/12/2015 4:13:01 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Ewww you Pagan.

Is there a problem?

U a Pagan.

I am an atheist.
Emilrose
Posts: 5,424
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 10:11:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/13/2015 10:04:56 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:03:57 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 9:30:11 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/12/2015 4:13:01 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Ewww you Pagan.

Is there a problem?

U a Pagan.

I am an atheist.

OK, but alluding to the asker of this question: Greco-Roman gods are technically Pagan.
Reasonslap
Posts: 221
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 10:31:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/13/2015 10:11:34 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:04:56 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:03:57 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 9:30:11 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/12/2015 4:13:01 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Ewww you Pagan.

Is there a problem?

U a Pagan.

I am an atheist.

OK, but alluding to the asker of this question: Greco-Roman gods are technically Pagan.

And is there a problem with being pagan?
Emilrose
Posts: 5,424
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 10:34:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/13/2015 10:31:06 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:11:34 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:04:56 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:03:57 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 9:30:11 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/12/2015 4:13:01 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Ewww you Pagan.

Is there a problem?

U a Pagan.

I am an atheist.

OK, but alluding to the asker of this question: Greco-Roman gods are technically Pagan.

And is there a problem with being pagan?

YES.

But it's his prerogative if he *wants* to be one.
Reasonslap
Posts: 221
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 10:43:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/13/2015 10:34:55 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:31:06 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:11:34 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:04:56 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:03:57 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 9:30:11 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/12/2015 4:13:01 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Ewww you Pagan.

Is there a problem?

U a Pagan.

I am an atheist.

OK, but alluding to the asker of this question: Greco-Roman gods are technically Pagan.

And is there a problem with being pagan?

YES.

But it's his prerogative if he *wants* to be one.

I know.
Emilrose
Posts: 5,424
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 10:54:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/13/2015 10:43:52 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:34:55 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:31:06 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:11:34 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:04:56 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:03:57 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 9:30:11 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/12/2015 4:13:01 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Ewww you Pagan.

Is there a problem?

U a Pagan.

I am an atheist.

OK, but alluding to the asker of this question: Greco-Roman gods are technically Pagan.

And is there a problem with being pagan?

YES.

But it's his prerogative if he *wants* to be one.

I know.

Si.
Reasonslap
Posts: 221
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 10:55:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/13/2015 10:54:18 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:43:52 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:34:55 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:31:06 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:11:34 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:04:56 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:03:57 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 9:30:11 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/12/2015 4:13:01 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Ewww you Pagan.

Is there a problem?

U a Pagan.

I am an atheist.

OK, but alluding to the asker of this question: Greco-Roman gods are technically Pagan.

And is there a problem with being pagan?

YES.

But it's his prerogative if he *wants* to be one.

I know.

Si.

I believe all religions are problems, but paganism isn't worse than Judaism. Or better.
Emilrose
Posts: 5,424
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 11:17:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/13/2015 10:55:23 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:54:18 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:43:52 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:34:55 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:31:06 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:11:34 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:04:56 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:03:57 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 9:30:11 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/12/2015 4:13:01 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Ewww you Pagan.

Is there a problem?

U a Pagan.

I am an atheist.

OK, but alluding to the asker of this question: Greco-Roman gods are technically Pagan.

And is there a problem with being pagan?

YES.

But it's his prerogative if he *wants* to be one.

I know.

Si.

I believe all religions are problems, but paganism isn't worse than Judaism. Or better.

Not necessarily, religion has contributed vast amounts to culture/arts--and many of the values that we have today were influenced by religious belief. In terms of morality, Judaism is most certainly preferable to Paganism.

Paganism has historically lacked that kind of basis.
Reasonslap
Posts: 221
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 8:10:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/13/2015 11:17:47 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:55:23 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:54:18 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:43:52 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:34:55 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:31:06 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:11:34 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:04:56 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/13/2015 10:03:57 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/13/2015 9:30:11 AM, Reasonslap wrote:
At 7/12/2015 4:13:01 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Ewww you Pagan.

Is there a problem?

U a Pagan.

I am an atheist.

OK, but alluding to the asker of this question: Greco-Roman gods are technically Pagan.

And is there a problem with being pagan?

YES.

But it's his prerogative if he *wants* to be one.

I know.

Si.

I believe all religions are problems, but paganism isn't worse than Judaism. Or better.

Not necessarily, religion has contributed vast amounts to culture/arts--and many of the values that we have today were influenced by religious belief. In terms of morality, Judaism is most certainly preferable to Paganism.

Paganism has historically lacked that kind of basis.

Actually, no. Look at Greco-romanism.
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 8:24:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/12/2015 1:15:49 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
Does anyone have any good ideas for books that I may be able to find at a library?

Try a book called Mythology. It covers the Greek mythos.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW