Jump to topic:

Concept of Spirit.

Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 3:42:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It seems to me that every culture on the face of the earth and every human being in recorded history has had a concept of "spirit".

An essence of life that was in things.

Why didn't earlier mankind just adopt the principle that the only things that existed were what they could hear, see, and feel?

Why didn't they explain things in naturalistic terms or by using the stuff they already knew of?

Why is such a narrow view of all of reality now taking hold?

I think it is because mankind is getting dumber on the whole.

Increasing distractions, increasing selfish desires for self gratification, increasing skimming of information instead of digesting knowledge.

Which is probably why the other day someone suggested the writers of the bible didn't know how many legs an insect had. You mean the same people that picked fleas of their bodies, ate grasshoppers, slept with spiders crawling all of them, ect.. Those people didn't know how many legs a roach had?

So removed from reality that any thought that reinforces atheism no matter how stupid is acceptable.

Why is the concept of spirit so, well universal?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 4:07:04 PM
At 7/12/2015 3:42:32 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
It seems to me that every culture on the face of the earth and every human being in recorded history has had a concept of "spirit".

Why didn't earlier mankind just adopt the principle that the only things that existed were what they could hear, see, and feel?

Why didn't they explain things in naturalistic terms or by using the stuff they already knew of?

Increasing distractions, increasing selfish desires for self gratification, increasing skimming of information instead of digesting knowledge.

Which is probably why the other day someone suggested the writers of the bible didn't know how many legs an insect had. You mean the same people that picked fleas of their bodies, ate grasshoppers, slept with spiders crawling all of them, ect.. Those people didn't know how many legs a roach had?

So removed from reality that any thought that reinforces atheism no matter how stupid is acceptable.

Because it is word that is not defined as to what it actually is, so it's easy to toss around from folks who have no knowledge or understand of the world around them, who are indeed dumb, but want to pretend they're smart because they believe they possess some special knowledge. You can replace that word with any made up word and it will have exactly the same meaning and value, which is none at all.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 6:27:21 PM
At 7/12/2015 4:07:04 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Because it is word that is not defined as to what it actually is, so it's easy to toss around from folks who have no knowledge or understand of the world around them, who are indeed dumb, but want to pretend they're smart because they believe they possess some special knowledge. You can replace that word with any made up word and it will have exactly the same meaning and value, which is none at all.

All words are human creations and many words have many different meanings.
Any meaning of any symbol or group of symbols is whatever humans assign to the symbols.

http://sabian.org...

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean " neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master " that's all.'
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 6:34:28 PM
At 7/12/2015 6:27:21 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Any meaning of any symbol or group of symbols is whatever humans assign to the symbols.

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean " neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

Would you agree that the concept of "spirit" no matter what name it has gone by in a bunch of different cultures is prevalent in all human cultures.

I'm sure not every bag in human history was called "bag".

But I'm sure they all had an idea of a container for carrying stuff around in.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 6:47:51 PM
At 7/12/2015 6:34:28 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Would you agree that the concept of "spirit" no matter what name it has gone by in a bunch of different cultures is prevalent in all human cultures.

Yes I agree with that.

Bags obviously have different names depending on the languages used to describe them.

Yes they do. Some like to believe humans are old bags which contain spirits.
That could be true if you are talking about a drunk.

It could also be true if you are referring to a spirit as an attitude.
Humans are definitely attitude containers.

If you equate Spirit with Life then all living things contain spirit.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 6:51:56 PM
At 7/12/2015 6:47:51 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Yes I agree with that.

Bags obviously have different names depending on the languages used to describe them.

So in opinion, If someone asked why the concept of "bag" or "container" was so widely accepted across all human cultures, and the reply was "bag" and "container" have no meaning. they are just words thrown around.

You wouldn't accept that as plausible would you?

it is Fact that all human cultures, at least in recorded history have some concept we would call "spirit".

I would think the origination of that concept would be profound to the human narrative.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 7:11:31 PM
At 7/12/2015 6:51:56 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/12/2015 6:47:51 PM, Skyangel wrote:

So in opinion, If someone asked why the concept of "bag" or "container" was so widely accepted across all human cultures, and the reply was "bag" and "container" have no meaning. they are just words thrown around.

You wouldn't accept that as plausible would you?

it is Fact that all human cultures, at least in recorded history have some concept we would call "spirit".

I would think the origination of that concept would be profound to the human narrative.

Human concepts all originate in human perception and imagination.
The word Spirit can mean many things including referring to an attitude or a vibe in a group like the spirit of celebration at the party or the spirit of sadness at a funeral.
The word is referring to the vibe created by the attitudes of the people in the group.
When it comes to any individual the "spirit" they portray is simply a manifestation of their attitude or state of mind.
Angry people manifest a spirit of anger through their words and actions.
Loving people manifest a spirit of love through their words and actions.
Spirits of arrogance, ridicule and mockery can be discerned all across the forums through the words people write.
Their attitudes and mindsets come across through the way they express themselves.

When it comes to the concept of God being a spirit of Love for example, I do not see it as an individual supernatural entity being a loving ghost of some kind. I see it as the attitude of love being manifest in all loving people. God in that sense is an attitude, not an individual supernatural person.

Love is manifest in atheists who do not believe in supernatural gods as well as in believers who idolize those supernatural gods.
ranchero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 8:29:14 PM

Why is the concept of spirit so, well universal? : :

Genesis 1 King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

The earth was without form and void means that it was made as energy which can't be seen.

"God said" means God spoke everything into energy first. This energy is the Spirit of God.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 8:38:21 PM

I am a huge fan of Spirituality. I strive to attain it and enjoy it whenever I can. I usually find it when immersed in nature. As when I am out trail-running. Or rock climbing. Or riding my motorcycle. Or having great sex. Or watching a desert sunset.

But I would ask you to remember that there is a big difference in being spiritual and being religious. One can have the former without the latter. As do I.

In fact, I can honestly say that in my experience, religion has often constricted or flat-out erased any feelings of Spirituality for me.

To the point that I almost equate them two be mutually exclusive. If not polar opposites.

What is your definition of "Spirituality?"
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 8:55:01 PM
At 7/12/2015 8:38:21 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

I am a huge fan of Spirituality. I strive to attain it and enjoy it whenever I can. I usually find it when immersed in nature. As when I am out trail-running. Or rock climbing. Or riding my motorcycle. Or having great sex. Or watching a desert sunset.

But I would ask you to remember that there is a big difference in being spiritual and being religious. One can have the former without the latter. As do I.

In fact, I can honestly say that in my experience, religion has often constricted or flat-out erased any feelings of Spirituality for me.

To the point that I almost equate them two be mutually exclusive. If not polar opposites.

It seems your definition is that its all about experiencing various feelings, Drew. Am I right?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 8:59:39 PM
At 7/12/2015 8:55:01 PM, Skyangel wrote:

It seems your definition is that its all about experiencing various feelings, Drew. Am I right?

Yeah, that. But more to it, as well.

I would add: "Feeling to be a part of something larger in the world. Or even, the Universe." As well as "feeling as if you are actually transcending the usual every day naturally-caused sensations and feelings and going a step further, to where it seems as if you have moved up a level from the physical state of being to the level of Spirit."

With a capital "S".

And "being at peace with the state of Being."
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 10:02:32 PM
It takes discipline to be a good student.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 5:25:51 PM
At 7/12/2015 8:59:39 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/12/2015 8:55:01 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Yeah, that. But more to it, as well.

I would add: "Feeling to be a part of something larger in the world. Or even, the Universe." As well as "feeling as if you are actually transcending the usual every day naturally-caused sensations and feelings and going a step further, to where it seems as if you have moved up a level from the physical state of being to the level of Spirit."

With a capital "S".

And "being at peace with the state of Being."

I think most people experience much the same feelings through life. People just describe them differently. Some are controlled by their feelings and others learn how to take control of their own feelings.

When it comes to being at peace, I think inner peace is a state of mind and has a lot to do with our attitudes towards our circumstances and life in general.
Those who live in peace live in the state of "Heaven on Earth."
Those who suffer from inner turmoil and negative feelings or a guilty conscience, live in "Hell on Earth" due to their own state of mind.