Jump to topic:

Why do people who Lose their faith ??

graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 3:03:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Always attack the faith they started with and seemingly ever other faith??

Is it because they feel stupid for being duped??

is it because they feel stupid for losing their faith??

What makes them so seemingly anti God that hey feel the need to try to talk others out of their faith??
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 3:21:25 PM
At 7/15/2015 3:03:33 PM, graceofgod wrote:

What makes them so seemingly anti God that hey feel the need to try to talk others out of their faith??

In my case it is a combination of those two ideas, actually.

I was raised Roman Catholic. Baptized; cathechism; parochial school up until the 9th grade. But once I matured and began gaining knowledge of science and of how the real world works, as well as of all the reasons that God's existence is highly unlikely, I gradually left my Faith behind.

As Paul might say, I put away childish things.

So nowadays, after seeing all of the atrocities the RCC has committed and also attempted to cover-up over the decades, I sometimes feel foolish for once having been a member of that cult. I also often get angered at it, along with most organized religions, especially Fundamental Christianity and Islam, for their deleterious influence on the world today. ON man's quest for knowledge and understanding of His Place in The Word.

As Richard Dawkins says, "I am against religion because it teaches us that is all right not to understand the world."
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 3:27:24 PM

My experience has been that they are trying to internally justify their decision.
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 3:33:27 PM
People don't lose faith, perhaps its misplaced, stolen or replaced
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 3:40:03 PM
They can lose it due to rational or irrational reasons. If it is the later, they are more likely to be emotional and rebellious.
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 3:40:24 PM
Its like a sleep walker waking up just in time to avoid stepping over the edge of a cliff. He will naturally try to stop other sleep walkers on the same route.
Draconius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 4:04:39 PM

That is nothing more than your perception. The same perception that allows you to justify belief in so many ridiculous assertions and tenets put forth by all of the "sacred" texts. What you see as "attacks" are merely reasoned arguments as to why those beliefs are no longer accepted. You see them as attacks because your belief is very dear to you, and you take it personally when someone shows (demonstrates) that a belief that you hold is unreasonable, and could not be true. To you it feels like a personal attack when, in reality, it's merely a rational conclusion.
I have no problem with the existence of a "god." It is the behavior of his fan clubs that frightens me to no end...
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 4:18:44 PM

Well, I recently went through this and have done nothing of the sort.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 4:27:20 PM
At 7/15/2015 3:40:24 PM, kp98 wrote:
Its like a sleep walker waking up just in time to avoid stepping over the edge of a cliff. He will naturally try to stop other sleep walkers on the same route.

How are people of faith in danger ??

I think that is an excuse for people to lash out at what they no longer believe..
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 4:28:50 PM
At 7/15/2015 3:21:25 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

I was raised Roman Catholic. Baptized; cathechism; parochial school up until the 9th grade. But once I matured and began gaining knowledge of science and of how the real world works, as well as of all the reasons that God's existence is highly unlikely, I gradually left my Faith behind.

So nowadays, after seeing all of the atrocities the RCC has committed and also attempted to cover-up over the decades, I sometimes feel foolish for once having been a member of that cult. I also often get angered at it, along with most organized religions, especially Fundamental Christianity and Islam, for their deleterious influence on the world today. ON man's quest for knowledge and understanding of His Place in The Word.

As Richard Dawkins says, "I am against religion because it teaches us that is all right not to understand the world."

So you changed from faith in God to faith in what men tell you is truth??

is it not still faith...?
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 4:30:50 PM
At 7/15/2015 3:27:24 PM, Geogeer wrote:

My experience has been that they are trying to internally justify their decision.

I think you are right!!
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 5:29:34 PM
At 7/15/2015 4:28:50 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Faith in science. In things that have been tested and proved. Not simply mankind in general. Faith in the Empirical Method. Not superstition.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 5:31:33 PM

No, because he changed what he believed based on evidence. If there is evidence for a belief, faith is not required.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 5:38:41 PM

Many atheists do not attack the faiths of others. Using phrases like "Always" is very misleading. As an agnostic atheist who does criticize the faiths of others, I will do what I can to answer your question.

When I first became an atheist, this was the main reason that I criticized my family's religious beliefs. But as I have grown more intellectually mature, I have stopped criticizing people's faiths for this reason.

It is not for this reason, as I do not feel stupid for losing my faith.

First of all, atheists are not anti-god, in the same way that you are not anti-Galactus. I think that what you were trying to ask is why some atheists criticize the faiths of others. There are 2 reasons I frequently criticize the faiths of others. The first of which is that many religious people try to force their beliefs onto others, so naturally, I make an effort to explain why their religion is most likely not true, in an effort to make them stop. The other reason is that I see many people's faiths as ridiculous, and I want to explain to them why in such a way that they can abandon it.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 8:17:24 PM

It is like losing your belief in Santa as a magic man. It happens when you mature and gain the ability to think logically.
No adult who understands the adults of the world are Santa feels like they were duped as a child. They understand the adults are simply trying to protect them from the harsh realities of the world by encouraging them to live in fantasy land as long as possible.
Those adults are also trying to encourage creative imagination in the children by sharing fantasies with them.
No adult feels stupid for losing faith in Santa.

No person who loses faith in God ever feels stupid for giving up the idea either. It is simply part of growing up both spiritually and physically. When people come to understand WE are god as a corporate body, it might be easier for people to understand how God ( humans ) are already ruling the world. We always have and always will when it comes to making laws for humans to live by.

Talking others out of their faith is no different to a child who has discovered Santa is not real informing the younger children that he is not real in order to help them grow up and face reality and not let the adults and con artists of the world fool them.

People who find out the truth about something have a responsibility to tell others the truth about it. If they hide the truth you need to ask the reason for hiding it.
Does it protect people from pain to hide the truth or does it bring them more pain and anger when they find out the truth has been deliberately hidden from them and they have been conned and deceived all their lives?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 8:36:51 PM

Are you sovereigngracereigns?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
mjplatt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 8:46:32 PM

You must have limited experience. I am an atheist and the decision was justified by reason and evidence(and in some cases lack thereof). Most folks who come to terms with reality find themselves bombarded with well meaning folks trying to reconvert them. After enough times of explaining why they prefer evidence over mythology they get a little testy. This a good generalization for atheists in this regard, but each is different in his own way.
mjplatt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 8:50:57 PM
At 7/15/2015 4:27:20 PM, graceofgod wrote:

I think that is an excuse for people to lash out at what they no longer believe..

Granted there are belligerent atheists just as there are belligerent theists. The lashing out often happens after explaining yourself for the millionth time while knowing the person you are talking to is blind to all arguments except those that support his own belief system
mjplatt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 8:53:23 PM

It's a metaphor....duh!
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 8:57:45 PM

Because that is what they are most familiar with.

Ex mormons are more likely to argue against Mormonism

Ex Scientologists are more likely to argue against Scientology

Ex Catholics are more likely to argue against the catholic church

Ex evangelicals are more likely to argue against......

I find that most are hardly "anti God" in the same way they are not anti aliens or anti unicorns.

They are defiantly against the bullsh*t, special pleading and manipulation that goes under the name of God/religion.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 9:11:58 PM
At 7/15/2015 8:46:32 PM, mjplatt wrote:

You must have limited experience. I am an atheist and the decision was justified by reason and evidence(and in some cases lack thereof). Most folks who come to terms with reality find themselves bombarded with well meaning folks trying to reconvert them. After enough times of explaining why they prefer evidence over mythology they get a little testy. This a good generalization for atheists in this regard, but each is different in his own way.

So you get testy by people trying to reconvert you... so you go to encourage more people to reconvert you by going onto a debate website? Interesting...
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 9:43:55 PM

I refuse to speak on behalf of other individuals who have abandoned their religious beliefs or faiths, but the method of which I enjoy scrutinizing various faiths and engaging in discussion with those who currently beleive, is via critical thinking. I don't necessarily view that as attacking or even condescedning someone else's beliefs.

Sure I have been aggressive and at times employed inappropriate vitriol (which can be considered an attack), but I am aware that is is an redundant tactic and an unfavorable approach to dialogue.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 9:49:40 PM
At 7/15/2015 9:43:55 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

I refuse to speak on behalf of other individuals who have abandoned their religious beliefs or faiths, but the method of which I enjoy scrutinizing various faiths and engaging in discussion with those who currently beleive, is via critical thinking. I don't necessarily view that as attacking or even condescedning someone else's beliefs.

Sure I have been aggressive and at times employed inappropriate vitriol (which can be considered an attack), but I am aware that is is an redundant tactic and an unfavorable approach to dialogue.

* a redundant, not an
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 3:15:49 AM
At 7/15/2015 4:04:39 PM, Draconius wrote:

That is nothing more than your perception. The same perception that allows you to justify belief in so many ridiculous assertions and tenets put forth by all of the "sacred" texts. What you see as "attacks" are merely reasoned arguments as to why those beliefs are no longer accepted. You see them as attacks because your belief is very dear to you, and you take it personally when someone shows (demonstrates) that a belief that you hold is unreasonable, and could not be true. To you it feels like a personal attack when, in reality, it's merely a rational conclusion.

On the contrary I have seen reasoned arguments, I have seen outright attack, the outright attacks tend to come from those who claimed to have a faith and then denounced it or from those who have a problem with God because of something they have in their life that the bible disagrees with...

Yet so many come to a "rational conclusion" that God exists..

Why try to talk people out of their faith because they allegedly lost their own...
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 3:17:19 AM
At 7/15/2015 5:29:34 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Faith in science. In things that have been tested and proved. Not simply mankind in general. Faith in the Empirical Method. Not superstition.

have you some way of testing everything science claims? if not you are accepting it on faith...
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 3:18:41 AM
At 7/15/2015 5:31:33 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:

No, because he changed what he believed based on evidence. If there is evidence for a belief, faith is not required.

So why did Paul say "for I am convinced", it seems some evidence had helped him make his mind up...?
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 3:20:48 AM
At 7/15/2015 5:38:41 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:

Many atheists do not attack the faiths of others. Using phrases like "Always" is very misleading. As an agnostic atheist who does criticize the faiths of others, I will do what I can to answer your question.

When I first became an atheist, this was the main reason that I criticized my family's religious beliefs. But as I have grown more intellectually mature, I have stopped criticizing people's faiths for this reason.

It is not for this reason, as I do not feel stupid for losing my faith.

First of all, atheists are not anti-god, in the same way that you are not anti-Galactus. I think that what you were trying to ask is why some atheists criticize the faiths of others. There are 2 reasons I frequently criticize the faiths of others. The first of which is that many religious people try to force their beliefs onto others, so naturally, I make an effort to explain why their religion is most likely not true, in an effort to make them stop. The other reason is that I see many people's faiths as ridiculous, and I want to explain to them why in such a way that they can abandon it.

What I asked is why those who lose their faith tend to want to convince others to lose theirs...

you lumped atheists together..

if they asked you to abandon your faith in science??
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 3:23:01 AM
At 7/15/2015 8:46:32 PM, mjplatt wrote:

yet the same reasoning makes some believers, you have just chosen what to believe as we all do....
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 3:24:13 AM
At 7/15/2015 8:50:57 PM, mjplatt wrote:

Granted there are belligerent atheists just as there are belligerent theists. The lashing out often happens after explaining yourself for the millionth time while knowing the person you are talking to is blind to all arguments except those that support his own belief system

So why do they decide to make a thread explaining their losing their faith if they are tired of explaining it???
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 3:27:53 AM
At 7/15/2015 9:43:55 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

I don't think people of faith have any problem with scrutiny, I think anyone who does not scrutinise their own faith are in a dangerous place but I have seen many debates that had nothing to do with scrutiny and more to do with offensive abuse...