Jump to topic:

Comedy Critique

RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 1:40:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A thread on stand-up comics who identify themselves as Christian and atheist, with no particular rules. I'm presenting 2 videos, one a Christian comic, the other an atheist comic. More videos could be added. This thread is not meant as a claim that one of the 2 types make for better comics.

First video, a Christian comic. I actually intended to find a bad Christian comic to critique, which I still might do. I found a good comic, and decided to include it instead. I can tell he's been in the industry awhile as he's confessed. He's not afraid to target someone in the audience, a trademark of a number of comedians working in smaller settings.

https://www.youtube.com...

The second video, a very bad one.

https://www.youtube.com...

He targets Judeo-Christianity in his routine. No problem. In comedy, nothing is sacred, nor should be sacred. Everything is an open target. I've seen some pretty cruel things said on stage (about the handi-capped, dying children), but there's no rules that state we need to uphold the reputation of a comic. If we feel they've gone overboard (like maybe Michael Richards), we don't have to support them.

The problem, is that Mr. Foley is extremely boring. In just 6 minutes, he's boring his audience. The spontaneous laughter is not there. A few hot spots creating laughter, and then random chuckling along the way. He's getting applauded from time to time by those who merely agree with him. Which is okay for those who get it, but boring for others who are indifferent. He's giving more of a lecture than a comedy routine.

George Carlin attacked religion. But, like any good comic, he knew when to shift the topic to avoid burning it out. Lingering on one topic (even 6 minutes) could be deadly to the routine.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 10:16:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have this routine where I take out my pen and draw cartoons of Muhammad. I'm good at it as I was staff cartoonist for our high school newspaper and the U.C. Berkeley's humor magazine, The Pelican. But I'm also a prophet of God so I get confused whether or not I should cut my head off after drawing a cartoon of myself for blasphemy. Luckily, others in ice-cream vendor hats following their Holy Book are not so bewildered and offer their butcher knives and chainsaws as solutions to my dilemma. It's hard to choose which instrument of God's mercy and justice is the appropriate one..