Jump to topic:

Another example of Christian Misconceptions

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 4:57:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Considering the importance of the ten commandments to so many people, you would think they would have a clear idea of how they are defined, but the sad fact is that most do not.

For example :How many of you Christians know that your Bible does not list a fixed set of 10 Commandments at all!

Oh yeah. See.... In Exodus, the list includes 14 or 15 "statements". Though the Bible does refer to a set of "10" rules, it does not mention them in the same sections as the list commonly known as the ten commandments.

Also....different Christian sects have divided the list of commandments up differently. The Catholic Cult, for example, combines the first 3 statements in to one commandment, and the Protestants combine the final two in to one statement.

To add to the confusion, there is also another set of 10 commandments called the Ritual Decalogue which includes laws such as "Do not cook a kid in its mother"s milk". [Exodus 20]

Is this not yet another example of how the bible is so filled with errors and inconsistencies that one is perhaps making a huge mistake in basing their entire lives on its teachings? I for one believe so.

What say you?
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 5:38:45 PM
Is this not yet another example of how the bible is so filled with errors and inconsistencies that one is perhaps making a huge mistake in basing their entire lives on its teachings? I for one believe so.

I've known this stuff for at least 35 years, so I don't get all that excited over it any more.

What makes it easier for people to 'base their entire lives on its teachings' is that they don't. They base it on the 'Sunday school' bowdlerised version, whereby being a Christian means being polite and a having a prudish attitude towards sex.

I believe that Christans are great readers of the Bible, but I rather suspect they only read the 'safe' and famiiar bits over and over. I have never heard a pastor recommending reading the Song of Solomon for instance. It can be entertaining to get a Christian to read SoS for the first time. Wht not try Sos 4:5 as a chat up:

"Your two breasts are like two fawns,
twins of a gazelle,
that graze among the lilies."

Probably a bit cheesy for 2015, but you never know.

Quite what SoS - a long erotic poem on 'conjugal love' - is doing in the Bible I have no idea, but its definitely one of the best bits, right up there with the acid-trip of revelations. Most Christians don't know what they're missing in the bits they don't read.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 5:39:45 PM
At 7/16/2015 4:57:56 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Considering the importance of the ten commandments to so many people, you would think they would have a clear idea of how they are defined, but the sad fact is that most do not.

For example :How many of you Christians know that your Bible does not list a fixed set of 10 Commandments at all!

Oh yeah. See.... In Exodus, the list includes 14 or 15 "statements". Though the Bible does refer to a set of "10" rules, it does not mention them in the same sections as the list commonly known as the ten commandments.

Also....different Christian sects have divided the list of commandments up differently. The Catholic Cult, for example, combines the first 3 statements in to one commandment, and the Protestants combine the final two in to one statement.

To add to the confusion, there is also another set of 10 commandments called the Ritual Decalogue which includes laws such as "Do not cook a kid in its mother"s milk". [Exodus 20]

What say you?

I say your posts are becoming more childish every day. Given the prevailing knowledge in this forum this is just downright silly.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 6:07:46 PM
At 7/16/2015 5:39:45 PM, Geogeer wrote:

What say you?

I say your posts are becoming more childish every day. Given the prevailing knowledge in this forum this is just downright silly.

What is so silly about pointing-out huge conflicts in a book that many take to be the inerrant word of God?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 6:10:25 PM
At 7/16/2015 5:38:45 PM, kp98 wrote:

I've known this stuff for at least 35 years, so I don't get all that excited over it any more.

What makes it easier for people to 'base their entire lives on its teachings' is that they don't. They base it on the 'Sunday school' bowdlerised version, whereby being a Christian means being polite and a having a prudish attitude towards sex.

I believe that Christans are great readers of the Bible, but I rather suspect they only read the 'safe' and famiiar bits over and over. I have never heard a pastor recommending reading the Song of Solomon for instance. It can be entertaining to get a Christian to read SoS for the first time. Wht not try Sos 4:5 as a chat up:

"Your two breasts are like two fawns,
twins of a gazelle,
that graze among the lilies."

Probably a bit cheesy for 2015, but you never know.

Quite what SoS - a long erotic poem on 'conjugal love' - is doing in the Bible I have no idea, but its definitely one of the best bits, right up there with the acid-trip of revelations. Most Christians don't know what they're missing in the bits they don't read.

Well, sure--you may have been aware of it. But I can guarantee you that most Christians are not. This fact especially raises my ire when they claim their holy book to be the inerrant word of god. But would not you think that any deity capable of, say, creating the Universe be just a tad bit better of an Editor? LOL
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 10:16:18 PM
At 7/16/2015 6:07:46 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/16/2015 5:39:45 PM, Geogeer wrote:

What say you?

What is so silly about pointing-out huge conflicts in a book that many take to be the inerrant word of God?

It isn't a difference at all.

The Jews include a statement at the beginning:

I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

This really isn't a commandment at all. But more of a reminder as to why the people have a duty to obey the commandments. There are then 3 commandments relating to your dealings with God and 6 on your dealings with man.

The Protestants left out the opening statement as the Catholics did but split the first commandment in two.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

This is done to attack Catholics whom they believe to worship statues.

The Catholics on the other hand realized that not worshiping idols was part of having no strange gods - and thus a descriptor of the first commandment. Instead they split the last commandment in two.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods.

This makes sense because Catholics recognized that your neighbour's wife was not part of his property. Thus coveting his wife was quite different than coveting his house, car, or bank account.

And yet for these minor differences in order, there is no difference in essential meaning between the different lists. And this has nothing to do with whether there are additional ceremonial or judicial lists containing ordinances as well.

And finally how does this point out any conflict in the book? It doesn't and thus your point in null and void.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 11:09:33 PM

What say you?

Are you aware that the numbers put at the beganing of each verse was added as a reference aid.

The numbering is not a revelation by God.

Remove the numbers. Do the 'lists' say the same thing? Yes

Then no contradiction
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 3:11:21 AM
At 7/16/2015 11:09:33 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

What say you?

Are you aware that the numbers put at the beganing of each verse was added as a reference aid.

Then no contradiction

And how did you know that ? Did God tell you that ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 3:45:41 AM

What say you?

Lol an interesting idea...

does it matter that the commandments were fulfilled anyway???
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 3:47:16 AM
At 7/16/2015 5:00:22 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Check this absurdity out for yourselves!

(Jeez...can't the bible get ANYTHING right?) LOL

https://thechurchoftruth.wordpress.com...

It's always good to cite a good balanced source....lol
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 1:31:20 PM
At 7/17/2015 3:47:16 AM, graceofgod wrote:

Indeed. I could supply more sources if you wish. But you should be able to look this up for yourself. Especially given your username, right? I would think a person of god would be well-versed in that book they place so much importance in.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 1:37:29 PM
At 7/16/2015 11:09:33 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

What say you?

Then no contradiction

Are you serous? Are you claiming that there are not actually differing accounts of the 10 Commandments in the bible? Do you need me to provide more sources? LOL--like the bible itself? Or can you look it up for yourself?

The numbers are irrelevant. The excerpts are verbatim from the bible. You surely have a copy of the good book laying around? Look it up!
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 1:41:56 PM
Vain - marked by futility or ineffectualness

God - The Supreme or Ultimate Reality

Understanding the meaning of these words, what does it mean to take the lord's name in vain?
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 1:49:14 PM
At 7/17/2015 3:47:16 AM, graceofgod wrote:

Is this source "rational" enough for ya? LOL

http://rationalwiki.org...
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 2:12:17 PM
SoM wrote to me
Well, sure--you may have been aware of it. But I can guarantee you that most Christians are not.

I don't want to be mistaken for a Christian. For future reference, I am a dyed-in-the-wool atheist. I'd claim to know the Bible fairly well because I am interested in how the Abrahamic scriptures (OT/NT, Koran) relate to the political and social conditions of their age.