Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Universal truths

janesix
Posts: 3,437
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.
Nicoszon_the_Great
Posts: 167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 4:36:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

I think the natural laws can, to some degree, be called universal truths. However I don't believe that anything which relies on human involvement can be concrete or universal.

When I've heard this phrase before I think it was listening to...*shudders* William Laine Craig. A fine orator but, in my opinion, too set in his ways to have a good discussion.
janesix
Posts: 3,437
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 4:41:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:36:40 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

I think the natural laws can, to some degree, be called universal truths. However I don't believe that anything which relies on human involvement can be concrete or universal.

When I've heard this phrase before I think it was listening to...*shudders* William Laine Craig. A fine orator but, in my opinion, too set in his ways to have a good discussion.

That's a good answer. If anything can be a universal truth, the laws of nature would be.

However, I think this person was trying to get at something more metaphysical.
janesix
Posts: 3,437
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 4:41:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:38:05 PM, graceofgod wrote:
sh1t only goes down hill,, that seems to be universally true...

Yes, gravity.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 4:42:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:41:48 PM, janesix wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:38:05 PM, graceofgod wrote:
sh1t only goes down hill,, that seems to be universally true...

Yes, gravity.

lol... that's exactly what i meant..
Nicoszon_the_Great
Posts: 167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 4:44:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:41:07 PM, janesix wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:36:40 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

I think the natural laws can, to some degree, be called universal truths. However I don't believe that anything which relies on human involvement can be concrete or universal.

When I've heard this phrase before I think it was listening to...*shudders* William Laine Craig. A fine orator but, in my opinion, too set in his ways to have a good discussion.

That's a good answer. If anything can be a universal truth, the laws of nature would be.

However, I think this person was trying to get at something more metaphysical.

I say they are 'to some degree' because I would state that if the universe had formed differently they could very well be totally different. In fact there may be a place, somewhere in existence, where in 1+1=3.

And that's exactly what I was talking about, anything metaphysical cannot be asserted honestly if proposed as a truth.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 4:46:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

Spiritual truths are universal, meaning the same principle applies to many things or many things apply to the same principle, "across the board".
graceofgod
Posts: 5,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 4:46:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
telling a woman not to do something will only result in the opposite being done...

that's definitely universal truth...
janesix
Posts: 3,437
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 4:47:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:46:01 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

Spiritual truths are universal, meaning the same principle applies to many things or many things apply to the same principle, "across the board".

Can you give an example of a spiritual truth?
Nicoszon_the_Great
Posts: 167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 4:50:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:46:01 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

Spiritual truths are universal, meaning the same principle applies to many things or many things apply to the same principle, "across the board".

Also, define 'spiritual truth'
ReformedPresbyterian72598
Posts: 293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 4:56:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

A good, better word would be "axiom". Something that is, just, there, and always has and will be. It's true because it is.
That'd, I think, help you find them.
kp98
Posts: 729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 5:05:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The most famous of them all:
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
Electric-Eccentric
Posts: 1,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 5:11:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:44:25 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:41:07 PM, janesix wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:36:40 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

I think the natural laws can, to some degree, be called universal truths. However I don't believe that anything which relies on human involvement can be concrete or universal.

When I've heard this phrase before I think it was listening to...*shudders* William Laine Craig. A fine orator but, in my opinion, too set in his ways to have a good discussion.

That's a good answer. If anything can be a universal truth, the laws of nature would be.

However, I think this person was trying to get at something more metaphysical.

I say they are 'to some degree' because I would state that if the universe had formed differently they could very well be totally different. In fact there may be a place, somewhere in existence, where in 1+1=3.

And that's exactly what I was talking about, anything metaphysical cannot be asserted honestly if proposed as a truth.

EE: I found this statement interesting:

"In fact there may be a place, somewhere in existence, where in 1+1=3."

WHY did I find it interesting? Because the 1 + 1 = 2 is a MAN MADE concept as a means to try and measure and weigh what can only be measured and weighed in THEORY.

Now some will say that they can take a device and measure distance or length, weight and such. That is CORRECT that things can be measured and weighed with the man made devices that do such things.

Now using these man made devices to measure so called facts and evidence that exist ONLY in make believe and pretend theories that are called "scientific" as that means that they used the man made devices to try and measure and weigh the UNKNOWN.

Much like saying that the presents under the X-MA$ tree prove that the theory of santa is most likely TRUE and fact.

Religion uses ONLY their programing and recorded or written media and propaganda and science dose much the same where you have to use THEIR references and information on what is facts and evidence and what is not.

When you write the script you can have MacGeiver doing all sorts of things that a idiot will believe as they haven't a clue as to HOW the REAL world works as they are NOT interested in getting one if it means that they have to quit daydreaming and GROW UP.

1 + 1 = 3 or 1 + 1 = 2 doesn't make much difference even if the so called language of everything is plus and minus or ones and zeros, or maybe on and off

Now if we look at what LUKE WARM might mean.

Is there such a "thing"?

You have HOT and COLD.

now some will say that this is all gibberish...

EXACTLY....
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
Nicoszon_the_Great
Posts: 167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 5:21:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 5:11:04 PM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:44:25 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:41:07 PM, janesix wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:36:40 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

I think the natural laws can, to some degree, be called universal truths. However I don't believe that anything which relies on human involvement can be concrete or universal.

When I've heard this phrase before I think it was listening to...*shudders* William Laine Craig. A fine orator but, in my opinion, too set in his ways to have a good discussion.

That's a good answer. If anything can be a universal truth, the laws of nature would be.

However, I think this person was trying to get at something more metaphysical.

I say they are 'to some degree' because I would state that if the universe had formed differently they could very well be totally different. In fact there may be a place, somewhere in existence, where in 1+1=3.

And that's exactly what I was talking about, anything metaphysical cannot be asserted honestly if proposed as a truth.

EE: I found this statement interesting:

"In fact there may be a place, somewhere in existence, where in 1+1=3."

WHY did I find it interesting? Because the 1 + 1 = 2 is a MAN MADE concept as a means to try and measure and weigh what can only be measured and weighed in THEORY.

Now some will say that they can take a device and measure distance or length, weight and such. That is CORRECT that things can be measured and weighed with the man made devices that do such things.

Now using these man made devices to measure so called facts and evidence that exist ONLY in make believe and pretend theories that are called "scientific" as that means that they used the man made devices to try and measure and weigh the UNKNOWN.

Much like saying that the presents under the X-MA$ tree prove that the theory of santa is most likely TRUE and fact.

Religion uses ONLY their programing and recorded or written media and propaganda and science dose much the same where you have to use THEIR references and information on what is facts and evidence and what is not.

When you write the script you can have MacGeiver doing all sorts of things that a idiot will believe as they haven't a clue as to HOW the REAL world works as they are NOT interested in getting one if it means that they have to quit daydreaming and GROW UP.

1 + 1 = 3 or 1 + 1 = 2 doesn't make much difference even if the so called language of everything is plus and minus or ones and zeros, or maybe on and off

Now if we look at what LUKE WARM might mean.

Is there such a "thing"?

You have HOT and COLD.

now some will say that this is all gibberish...

EXACTLY....

G TIME JONNY IS THAT YOU?!

https://www.youtube.com...

But seriously, I can see the argument that it does rely on our perception to infer that 1+1 does in fact equal 2, it could be that there are many more variables that we cannot perceive. However, in accepting that handicap, we use the scientific method to order the claims we make and see if they 'jive' with our perceptions of reality. There's nothing wrong with this system and there are plenty of occasions where science has been turned upside down by a major discovery that changed everything. Many of the scientists I've met are excited by the idea that discoveries made could change our perception of the universe and allow us to explore it with a wider scope.
kp98
Posts: 729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 5:39:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
1+1=3."
WHY did I find it interesting? Because the 1 + 1 = 2 is a MAN MADE concept...


If I have a box and put one apple in to it and then put another apple into the there will be two apples in the box. There is nothing 'man made' about the number of apples in a box if you put first one and then another into it.

All we can say is man made is our way of describing what happens when you put apples into a box (and all such equivalent operations).

In a universe where 1+1=3 we have to imagine that if you put an apple to a box and then another apple a third apple appears out of nowhere. While I can say 'a third apple appears out of nowhere' is it really possible for such a reality to exist? Such a universe would soon be overflowing with an infinity of apples produced out of nothing. Presumably it wouldn't only be apples, but everyting would be infinitely reproduced as every pair of things becomes 3 and as 3 things make 3 pairs the 3 would become 6...

If you are only playing around with sums on paper then you can define 1+1=3 and you will get a non-standard arithmetic that might be intellectual interesting, but it wouldn't apply to our reality. Certainly mathematics is a human invention. An abstract mathematics where 1+1=3 is perfectly possible. But only a very restricted range of possible mathematics apply to this world world - or to any possible world.

Modifying the parallel postulate produced a non-standard for of geometry that was better then Euclids, but I think 1+1=3 is a change too far.
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 6:01:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:38:05 PM, graceofgod wrote:
sh1t only goes down hill,, that seems to be universally true...

Well, if a person who has explosive diarrhea could aim their hind quarters up hill, then refuse can go up hill.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
dee-em
Posts: 6,444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 7:14:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:38:05 PM, graceofgod wrote:
sh1t only goes down hill,, that seems to be universally true...

Not in a tornado. Try it. Lol.
dee-em
Posts: 6,444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 7:18:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:46:21 PM, graceofgod wrote:
telling a woman not to do something will only result in the opposite being done...

that's definitely universal truth...

You tell a woman not to do something rather than asking?
Hmmm. Interesting.
Electric-Eccentric
Posts: 1,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 7:25:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 5:39:00 PM, kp98 wrote:
1+1=3."
WHY did I find it interesting? Because the 1 + 1 = 2 is a MAN MADE concept...


If I have a box and put one apple in to it and then put another apple into the there will be two apples in the box. There is nothing 'man made' about the number of apples in a box if you put first one and then another into it.

All we can say is man made is our way of describing what happens when you put apples into a box (and all such equivalent operations).

In a universe where 1+1=3 we have to imagine that if you put an apple to a box and then another apple a third apple appears out of nowhere. While I can say 'a third apple appears out of nowhere' is it really possible for such a reality to exist? Such a universe would soon be overflowing with an infinity of apples produced out of nothing. Presumably it wouldn't only be apples, but everyting would be infinitely reproduced as every pair of things becomes 3 and as 3 things make 3 pairs the 3 would become 6...

If you are only playing around with sums on paper then you can define 1+1=3 and you will get a non-standard arithmetic that might be intellectual interesting, but it wouldn't apply to our reality. Certainly mathematics is a human invention. An abstract mathematics where 1+1=3 is perfectly possible. But only a very restricted range of possible mathematics apply to this world world - or to any possible world.

Modifying the parallel postulate produced a non-standard for of geometry that was better then Euclids, but I think 1+1=3 is a change too far.

EE: Your missing the point. It could be * + # = $

Or symbols that haven't been INVENTED by man as of yet, but then if we look at there is nothing new under the sun and scribbles in the sand and on whatever it is that they had to scribble on. Maybe all letters and symbols have been scribbled a time or so.

What many want to believe is 100% is greatly lacking when you try and measure and weigh illusion with man made devices. The devices are "real" and the measurements can SEEM real, BUT are they in the BIGGER picture.

Most are SO PROGRAMED with man made concepts that are just mostly guessing that it makes religion, science and other such concepts about as real as santa, the tooth fairy, the easter bunny, pro wrestling and other popular "realities".

THAT is the point I AM putting forth. I can ONLY communicate with the words, meanings and concepts that superstitious people understand as they can NOT understand anything BEYOND their realities and subjective truths and greatly flawed HONESTY.

just cross your fingers when you lie and it won't count.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
Electric-Eccentric
Posts: 1,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 7:40:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 5:39:00 PM, kp98 wrote:
1+1=3."
WHY did I find it interesting? Because the 1 + 1 = 2 is a MAN MADE concept...


If I have a box and put one apple in to it and then put another apple into the there will be two apples in the box. There is nothing 'man made' about the number of apples in a box if you put first one and then another into it.

All we can say is man made is our way of describing what happens when you put apples into a box (and all such equivalent operations).

In a universe where 1+1=3 we have to imagine that if you put an apple to a box and then another apple a third apple appears out of nowhere. While I can say 'a third apple appears out of nowhere' is it really possible for such a reality to exist? Such a universe would soon be overflowing with an infinity of apples produced out of nothing. Presumably it wouldn't only be apples, but everyting would be infinitely reproduced as every pair of things becomes 3 and as 3 things make 3 pairs the 3 would become 6...

If you are only playing around with sums on paper then you can define 1+1=3 and you will get a non-standard arithmetic that might be intellectual interesting, but it wouldn't apply to our reality. Certainly mathematics is a human invention. An abstract mathematics where 1+1=3 is perfectly possible. But only a very restricted range of possible mathematics apply to this world world - or to any possible world.

Modifying the parallel postulate produced a non-standard for of geometry that was better then Euclids, but I think 1+1=3 is a change too far.

EE: What happens when you take the man made "box" out of it"?

Put one apple on a rock and then put another apple on a rock and what do you have? apples on a rock. No math involved. Now you might say what if you have hundreds of apples? Then you have a lot of apples.

All sounds silly you say?

The BOX is needed for COMMERCE & CONTROL of the human resources and the props that people value.

The point that I'm making is that man made concepts are FULL of ERRORS that are IGNORED and REJECTED as they DON'T create JOBS for those that are to stupid to figure out a way to make a living on their own.

The problem with the world is that it is filled with many people that just make believe and pretend that they are much SMARTER then they are as in the land of make believe and pretend reality you will BECOME what you wish to be.

Just dress up for the part and parrot the script that you have been programed with and then you just might magically go to the front of the loooooooooong line of people that are much like you are with some of them much smarter then you.

LUCK?

Prayer?

Scientific theories to calm the troubled mind?

wish in one hand and poo in the other?
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 9:01:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

Something is either true or not true. That's it. Throwing the word "universal" in front of it is just an attempt to invoke something mystical about it so that we can fill in those gaps of mystery with a God.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 9:36:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:47:26 PM, janesix wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:46:01 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

Spiritual truths are universal, meaning the same principle applies to many things or many things apply to the same principle, "across the board".

Can you give an example of a spiritual truth?

God fixed the laws of the natural world as well as the spiritual world, they cannot be changed or removed, they are fixed.
An example of natural law would be like gravity, no matter what you chuck up in the air it must come down.
An example of spiritual truth could be reaping and sowing (cause and effect), well you may say those are natural laws, yes they are but they apply to the spiritual first, everything begins in the spirit first.
Another example is this passage in Matthew 6
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 9:37:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/17/2015 4:50:37 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:46:01 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

Spiritual truths are universal, meaning the same principle applies to many things or many things apply to the same principle, "across the board".

Also, define 'spiritual truth'

Fixed laws God has established in the spiritual realm, much like natural laws. "Truth" is simply what is.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 9:39:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/18/2015 9:37:54 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:50:37 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:46:01 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

Spiritual truths are universal, meaning the same principle applies to many things or many things apply to the same principle, "across the board".

Also, define 'spiritual truth'

Fixed laws God has established in the spiritual realm, much like natural laws. "Truth" is simply what is.

If you can't define the spiritual realm, then you're just talking meaningless nonsense.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Nicoszon_the_Great
Posts: 167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 4:56:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/18/2015 9:36:25 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:47:26 PM, janesix wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:46:01 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

Spiritual truths are universal, meaning the same principle applies to many things or many things apply to the same principle, "across the board".

Can you give an example of a spiritual truth?

God fixed the laws of the natural world as well as the spiritual world, they cannot be changed or removed, they are fixed.
An example of natural law would be like gravity, no matter what you chuck up in the air it must come down.
An example of spiritual truth could be reaping and sowing (cause and effect), well you may say those are natural laws, yes they are but they apply to the spiritual first, everything begins in the spirit first.
Another example is this passage in Matthew 6
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Okay, can you supply me with any evidence that 'the spirit' exists? As well as any evidence of the legitimacy of modern Christianity's claims to it?
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 5:43:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/18/2015 4:56:36 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
At 7/18/2015 9:36:25 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:47:26 PM, janesix wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:46:01 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

Spiritual truths are universal, meaning the same principle applies to many things or many things apply to the same principle, "across the board".

Can you give an example of a spiritual truth?

God fixed the laws of the natural world as well as the spiritual world, they cannot be changed or removed, they are fixed.
An example of natural law would be like gravity, no matter what you chuck up in the air it must come down.
An example of spiritual truth could be reaping and sowing (cause and effect), well you may say those are natural laws, yes they are but they apply to the spiritual first, everything begins in the spirit first.
Another example is this passage in Matthew 6
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Okay, can you supply me with any evidence that 'the spirit' exists? As well as any evidence of the legitimacy of modern Christianity's claims to it?

No material evidence, material evidence is incompatible with spirit, as that would disqualify it as spiritual. I can tell you that one exists simply by observing it :)
Nicoszon_the_Great
Posts: 167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 5:46:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/18/2015 5:43:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/18/2015 4:56:36 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
At 7/18/2015 9:36:25 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:47:26 PM, janesix wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:46:01 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

Spiritual truths are universal, meaning the same principle applies to many things or many things apply to the same principle, "across the board".

Can you give an example of a spiritual truth?

God fixed the laws of the natural world as well as the spiritual world, they cannot be changed or removed, they are fixed.
An example of natural law would be like gravity, no matter what you chuck up in the air it must come down.
An example of spiritual truth could be reaping and sowing (cause and effect), well you may say those are natural laws, yes they are but they apply to the spiritual first, everything begins in the spirit first.
Another example is this passage in Matthew 6
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Okay, can you supply me with any evidence that 'the spirit' exists? As well as any evidence of the legitimacy of modern Christianity's claims to it?

No material evidence, material evidence is incompatible with spirit, as that would disqualify it as spiritual. I can tell you that one exists simply by observing it :)

So if it cannot be supplied with evidence, how am I to accept it as a truth?
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 5:50:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/18/2015 5:46:51 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
At 7/18/2015 5:43:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/18/2015 4:56:36 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
At 7/18/2015 9:36:25 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:47:26 PM, janesix wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:46:01 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

Spiritual truths are universal, meaning the same principle applies to many things or many things apply to the same principle, "across the board".

Can you give an example of a spiritual truth?

God fixed the laws of the natural world as well as the spiritual world, they cannot be changed or removed, they are fixed.
An example of natural law would be like gravity, no matter what you chuck up in the air it must come down.
An example of spiritual truth could be reaping and sowing (cause and effect), well you may say those are natural laws, yes they are but they apply to the spiritual first, everything begins in the spirit first.
Another example is this passage in Matthew 6
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Okay, can you supply me with any evidence that 'the spirit' exists? As well as any evidence of the legitimacy of modern Christianity's claims to it?

No material evidence, material evidence is incompatible with spirit, as that would disqualify it as spiritual. I can tell you that one exists simply by observing it :)

So if it cannot be supplied with evidence, how am I to accept it as a truth?

You cannot accept it, you have to apply it. Then acceptance comes through observation.
Nicoszon_the_Great
Posts: 167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 5:56:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/18/2015 5:50:20 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/18/2015 5:46:51 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
At 7/18/2015 5:43:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/18/2015 4:56:36 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:
At 7/18/2015 9:36:25 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:47:26 PM, janesix wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:46:01 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 7/17/2015 4:33:16 PM, janesix wrote:
Someone mentioned "universal truths" yet would not elaborate when questioned. I was wondering if anyone thinks there are any "universal truths" and what they might consist of.

Spiritual truths are universal, meaning the same principle applies to many things or many things apply to the same principle, "across the board".

Can you give an example of a spiritual truth?

God fixed the laws of the natural world as well as the spiritual world, they cannot be changed or removed, they are fixed.
An example of natural law would be like gravity, no matter what you chuck up in the air it must come down.
An example of spiritual truth could be reaping and sowing (cause and effect), well you may say those are natural laws, yes they are but they apply to the spiritual first, everything begins in the spirit first.
Another example is this passage in Matthew 6
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Okay, can you supply me with any evidence that 'the spirit' exists? As well as any evidence of the legitimacy of modern Christianity's claims to it?

No material evidence, material evidence is incompatible with spirit, as that would disqualify it as spiritual. I can tell you that one exists simply by observing it :)

So if it cannot be supplied with evidence, how am I to accept it as a truth?

You cannot accept it, you have to apply it. Then acceptance comes through observation.

Well as someone who was spiritual and found that the application didn't produce any results. At all. I would say that is not a convincing source of revalation for the whole concept