Jump to topic:

Contempt of court for promoting Christianity

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 10:38:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
...again. Is this really that difficult to understand? Government run schools can not advocate for any religion over another. This district has been called on it twice. Get it together, folks. Religious freedom is for all in this country - not just Christians.

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com...
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 10:50:38 AM
At 7/19/2015 10:38:28 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
...again. Is this really that difficult to understand? Government run schools can not advocate for any religion over another. This district has been called on it twice. Get it together, folks. Religious freedom is for all in this country - not just Christians.

The way I read it, it was a voluntary assembly.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 11:03:36 AM
At 7/19/2015 10:50:38 AM, annanicole wrote:

If there wasn't a voluntary assembly for atheists, Confucians, Taoists, Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, Neopagans, Ignostics, agnostics, idealists, Sikhs, Jains, and every other religion in the world, it is discrimination.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 11:06:19 AM

The problem isnt the voluntary aspect, its the school-led aspect.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 11:06:49 AM
At 7/19/2015 11:03:36 AM, tejretics wrote:

If there wasn't a voluntary assembly for atheists, Confucians, Taoists, Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, Neopagans, Ignostics, agnostics, idealists, Sikhs, Jains, and every other religion in the world, it is discrimination.

Really? You would consent to having at least two honors assemblies, one for the participation of Christians - and another for atheists?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 11:11:28 AM

Prayer in Classrooms and at Assemblies
The United States Supreme Court has long held that the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment prohibits school-sponsored prayer or religious indoctrination. Forty years ago, the Court struck down classroom prayers and scripture readings, even if they were voluntary and even if students had the option of being excused. School Dist.
Of Abington Township v. Schempp, 374 U.S. 203 (1963); Engel v. Vitale, 370 U.S. 421 (1962)."

http://www.aclu-tn.org...

Plus, they were allowing Bibles to be handed out in school. You're in Mississippi, aren't you?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 11:12:14 AM
At 7/19/2015 11:11:28 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Prayer in Classrooms and at Assemblies
The United States Supreme Court has long held that the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment prohibits school-sponsored prayer or religious indoctrination. Forty years ago, the Court struck down classroom prayers and scripture readings, even if they were voluntary and even if students had the option of being excused. School Dist.
Of Abington Township v. Schempp, 374 U.S. 203 (1963); Engel v. Vitale, 370 U.S. 421 (1962)."

http://www.aclu-tn.org...

Plus, they were allowing Bibles to be handed out in school. You're in Mississippi, aren't you?

Yes, in Mississippi
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 11:12:55 AM
At 7/19/2015 11:06:49 AM, annanicole wrote:

Really? You would consent to having at least two honors assemblies, one for the participation of Christians - and another for atheists?

Schools are not places of worship, they are places of learning. If people want to pray, they can go to church. Do you understand this very simple concept?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 11:18:31 AM

No. Zero assemblies. Everyone should be treated equally. Equality is the most fundamental moral principle IMO.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 12:21:40 PM
At 7/19/2015 11:18:31 AM, tejretics wrote:

No. Zero assemblies. Everyone should be treated equally. Equality is the most fundamental moral principle IMO.

In other words, any type of assembly that promotes the idea that God exists is taboo in your book. Likewise, an type of assembly that promotes the idea that God does not exist is taboo in your book.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 12:25:45 PM
At 7/19/2015 11:12:55 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Schools are not places of worship, they are places of learning. If people want to pray, they can go to church. Do you understand this very simple concept?

... and if people do not want to pray, they can keep their eyes open and daydream. If attendance at this or that is wholly voluntary, then theoretically no one is required to attend. I didn't attend the "Spiritual Emphasis Week" programs at my own school because I thought it was a great time to go smoke cigarettes out behind the band hall. I didn't feel myself to be a "victim".
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 1:14:26 PM
At 7/19/2015 12:25:45 PM, annanicole wrote:

... and if people do not want to pray, they can keep their eyes open and daydream. If attendance at this or that is wholly voluntary, then theoretically no one is required to attend. I didn't attend the "Spiritual Emphasis Week" programs at my own school because I thought it was a great time to go smoke cigarettes out behind the band hall. I didn't feel myself to be a "victim".

I'll try to explain this again, schools are learning institutions, churches are worshiping institutions, try not to get them mixed up. Good girl.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 1:16:20 PM

...And if kids want to pray, they can pray in schools. They can pray in class. They can pray for tests they didnt study for.

The problem here is whether the prayer is school led/sponsored or not. Schools cannot endorse and/or show favoritism to religion, any religion.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 2:11:14 PM
At 7/19/2015 1:16:20 PM, tkubok wrote:

...And if kids want to pray, they can pray in schools. They can pray in class. They can pray for tests they didnt study for.

The problem here is whether the prayer is school led/sponsored or not. Schools cannot endorse and/or show favoritism to religion, any religion.

Wait a minute. You actually think that if a guy gets up and leads a prayer at a school-sponsored event, especially a voluntary one, then it somehow becomes an "endorsement" of a particular religion?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 2:13:53 PM
At 7/19/2015 1:14:26 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

I'll try to explain this again, schools are learning institutions, churches are worshiping institutions, try not to get them mixed up. Good girl.

Oh, I didn't "demand" that religion be taught in school. Making "demands" is the modus operandi of ... negroes and atheists, for the most part.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 2:19:29 PM
At 7/19/2015 2:13:53 PM, annanicole wrote:

Oh, I didn't "demand" that religion be taught in school. Making "demands" is the modus operandi of ... negroes and atheists, for the most part.

Did I say anything about demands? Are you still confused as to what a school is and what a church is? Do you need me to dumb it down even further for you?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 2:36:24 PM
At 7/19/2015 2:19:29 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Did I say anything about demands? Are you still confused as to what a school is and what a church is? Do you need me to dumb it down even further for you?

Sure. Explain for us how, at a school-sponsored dinner, 99 out of 100 people can say a private prayer before a meal, but if one fella gets up and "leads" the prayer, the someone's "rights" are violated.

I am not mixed up about what a school is. I assure you that I spent more time there and attained a higher degree than you have.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 2:37:33 PM

I am not mixed up about what a school is. I assure you that I spent more time there and attained a higher degree than you have.

Scratch that. You may have spent more time there. I am sure I passed more courses, no matter how much time you spent there.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 2:42:34 PM
So the solution to all of this is to cut a chunk out of this particular school's funding.

I wonder how losing that much money will effect the students.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 3:43:02 PM
At 7/19/2015 2:11:14 PM, annanicole wrote:

Wait a minute. You actually think that if a guy gets up and leads a prayer at a school-sponsored event, especially a voluntary one, then it somehow becomes an "endorsement" of a particular religion?

Yes, someone had to invite him to do so.

tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 4:05:10 PM

With the example in this OP, they actually brought in a reverend. It wasnt just a student who suddenly stood up, out of the blue, and started praying.

With regards to a guy getting up and leading a prayer, if its just a random guy who suddenly stands up and shouts "Hey lets start praying", thats okay, although depending on the time, they will probably tell him to sit back down, or otherwise get escorted out of the building/event.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 4:09:34 PM

If a referendum ever came up in my country or state on banning Islam and practice of it, and closing down the mosques, I would vote on it in a heartbeat. It should have been done after 9/11. And now, as well, especially since it looks like we are going to go to war with ISIS.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 4:11:20 PM
At 7/19/2015 2:36:24 PM, annanicole wrote:

Sure. Explain for us how, at a school-sponsored dinner, 99 out of 100 people can say a private prayer before a meal, but if one fella gets up and "leads" the prayer, the someone's "rights" are violated.

Because its not school led/endorsed.

If the school brings in a reverend and actually pencils him into the ceremony with "2:00PM, Opening prayers by reverend", then this is not the same as some random guy in the audience who suddenly stands up and starts praying.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 4:11:35 PM
At 7/19/2015 3:43:02 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

What if a guy stands up at a voluntary, school-sponsored event and simply says, "Our best evidence, properly processed, indicates that there is no God or gods." Would you go along with that, or should the guy keep his personal views to himself?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 4:12:04 PM
At 7/19/2015 4:09:34 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

If a referendum ever came up in my country or state on banning Islam and practice of it, and closing down the mosques, I would vote on it in a heartbeat. It should have been done after 9/11. And now, as well, especially since it looks like we are going to go to war with ISIS.

Good job, McCarthy. Get those evil Communists...

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 4:14:34 PM
At 7/19/2015 4:11:35 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 7/19/2015 3:43:02 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

What if a guy stands up at a voluntary, school-sponsored event and simply says, "Our best evidence, properly processed, indicates that there is no God or gods." Would you go along with that, or should the guy keep his personal views to himself?

I would wonder why some guy is speaking about a subject un-related to an event meant to honor our students.

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 4:18:32 PM
At 7/19/2015 4:12:04 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Islamic terrorists are not Communists. They are religious fanatics who have already attacked my country.

When Joe McCarthy launched the Red Scare back in the 50s he was not going after a group of murderous wackos that had perpetrated the largest-ever attack on US Citizens. Hence, your example is erroneous and historically inaccurate.
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 4:19:17 PM
If atheism is, as many atheists insist, simply the absence of theism, isn't it an endorsement of atheism if there are no theistic events/assemblies/worships allowed within school?

Anyway, I fail to see anything within the 1st amendment that prevents a voluntary prayer within school. If anything, it asserts that there is a right to say a prayer under the right to free speech.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 4:20:27 PM
At 7/19/2015 4:12:04 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

You need a History or Political Science 101 lesson, amigo.

Here is your first lesson. Read and learn. Then get back to me. We can discuss history. Anytime.

https://en.wikipedia.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 4:21:28 PM
At 7/19/2015 2:36:24 PM, annanicole wrote:

This is actually not outlawed, so long as the students are doing it, and those students aren't explicitly put into a position of authority by the school. Students can run bible clubs and whatnot, and they can lead prayers in those clubs, and even in other clubs, so long as other religions are never denied the ability to form a similar organization.

It's only an issue when a person in a position of authority (teacher, administration), or a student or other person put into a position of authority (valedictorian, this guest speaker) leads a prayer or disseminates religious information. For example, the valedictorian could speak about his or her faith and how it influenced their life, but they wouldn't be able to try to lead the graduation class in player. A preacher can give a speech at a school assembly on relevant topics, but he can't proselytize or lead a prayer (unless the club was an expressly religious one which invited him for that purpose).

I do agree that secularists often get over-zealous (the attempt to shut down religious conversation during seminary in a Colorado High School being a relevant recent example) but civil rights groups often rectify those situations pretty quickly.

In this situation, the school put a guest speaker in a position of authority at an official assembly and then had them lead a prayer. If a student had stood up and done it in the middle of assembly he might get a slap on the wrist for being disruptive at a school assembly, but it wouldn't be a first amendment issue.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -