Jump to topic:

Liberal infiltration of Christianity

mystery_man43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 3:40:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
1) Liberals try to justify homosexuality and homosexual "marriage".
2) Liberals say that atheists can still go to Heaven.
3) Liberals say that abortion is justified in the Bible.

None of these are true or justifiable through the Bible.
I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 4:01:06 PM
At 7/23/2015 3:40:14 PM, mystery_man43 wrote:

What you call Liberal I call Progressive. Have you ever asked yourself what Jesus would think about Gays? I dont think He would have a problem with them. he did associate with the sinners and prostitutes and Samaritans in His Day.
Atheists CAN and do go to Heaven and are Saved by God. I believe in Calvin's "Limited Grace" or Destination where He chooses those who go. Some sinners will go and some Christians will not! Only He knows His reasoning. I dont know if abortion is or is not condoned in the Bible. I doubt its even mentioned. My God does not quibble with small things like that, He as bigger fish to fry. its an issue for mortals who have habits to cling to obsolete ideas. God gave us Free Will. A woman has this conerning her own body. I am a Progressive Born Again Christian. What you call liberal I call humanist and forward-thinking.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 4:14:29 PM

So because someone interprets their religious text differently than you, they have therefore "infiltrated" your religion in a negative way?
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 4:25:15 PM

I agree compromising the bible is dangerous and should not be done...

if the salt looses it's saltiness it is useless...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 4:36:07 PM
At 7/23/2015 4:14:29 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:

So because someone interprets their religious text differently than you, they have therefore "infiltrated" your religion in a negative way?

By what authority or tradition do they have to interpret it differently?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 4:37:49 PM

Once Luther began to interpret the Bible as he saw fit, outside of a hermeneutic of continuity, everyone started to interpret it as they wanted.
ReformedPresbyterian72598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 5:01:26 PM

Liberals' excuse is free will. That doctrine is not Scriptural, which is why these ideas are around. The whole idea that man has some sort of say-in with God when it comes to His sovereignty.
mystery_man43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 5:04:20 PM
At 7/23/2015 4:01:06 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

What you call Liberal I call Progressive. Have you ever asked yourself what Jesus would think about Gays? I dont think He would have a problem with them. he did associate with the sinners and prostitutes and Samaritans in His Day.
Atheists CAN and do go to Heaven and are Saved by God. I believe in Calvin's "Limited Grace" or Destination where He chooses those who go. Some sinners will go and some Christians will not! Only He knows His reasoning. I dont know if abortion is or is not condoned in the Bible. I doubt its even mentioned. My God does not quibble with small things like that, He as bigger fish to fry. its an issue for mortals who have habits to cling to obsolete ideas. God gave us Free Will. A woman has this conerning her own body. I am a Progressive Born Again Christian. What you call liberal I call humanist and forward-thinking.
I'm sorry, but ignoring the Bible is not called being a true Christian.First of all, you ignore the Biblical content regarding homosexuality. The Bible explicitly mentions homosexuality. Leviticus 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them." Yes, Jesus did and does love all sinners including gays, prostitutes, etc. However, there is a bigger picture. Jesus loves them BUT wants them to repent for their sexually immoral acts. If that person AND everyone else (not just gays), doesn't repent they will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Second, Atheists do NOT go to Heaven unless they truly repent. John 3:16 tells us "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." Some may interpret this verse as the word "believe" meaning those who follow His teachings. That is true, but you must also know that God exists and loves us.
Lastly, the Bible says that abortion is wrong. There are plenty of verses regarding this starting with Jeremiah 1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart."
I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 5:09:20 PM
Oh, pipe down, you Gentile johnny-come-latelies to our Jewish religion who come with this totally un-Jewish interpretation of Jesus as if he were a Pharisee judge when he wasn't at all. He was tolerant of people's ways as long as they behaved as good neighbors to their neighbors. I mean he hung out with the bottom of Palestinian society in his day didn't he? Drunks and whores, non-Jews, so I don't think gays would trouble him as they do fundamentalist jerks who use the Bible as a club to hit people with whose lifestyles they don't like while having their own atrocious ways of acting such as persecuting people for their being in love in a different way.
mystery_man43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 5:45:54 PM
At 7/23/2015 5:09:20 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
Oh, pipe down, you Gentile johnny-come-latelies to our Jewish religion who come with this totally un-Jewish interpretation of Jesus as if he were a Pharisee judge when he wasn't at all. He was tolerant of people's ways as long as they behaved as good neighbors to their neighbors. I mean he hung out with the bottom of Palestinian society in his day didn't he? Drunks and whores, non-Jews, so I don't think gays would trouble him as they do fundamentalist jerks who use the Bible as a club to hit people with whose lifestyles they don't like while having their own atrocious ways of acting such as persecuting people for their being in love in a different way.
God, Jesus, and God's word (the Bible) are categorically opposed to homosexuality. How am I using the Bible as a club? I specifically mentioned how Jesus loves all of us, including gays. I love everybody, including gays, just like Jesus wants us to. The love of Jesus is so great that He did not (as you stated )and would not shun anybody; however, He never condoned or condones our sins.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 6:21:31 PM
At 7/23/2015 5:04:20 PM, mystery_man43 wrote:

I'm sorry, but ignoring the Bible is not called being a true Christian.First of all, you ignore the Biblical content regarding homosexuality. The Bible explicitly mentions homosexuality. Leviticus 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them." Yes, Jesus did and does love all sinners including gays, prostitutes, etc. However, there is a bigger picture. Jesus loves them BUT wants them to repent for their sexually immoral acts. If that person AND everyone else (not just gays), doesn't repent they will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Second, Atheists do NOT go to Heaven unless they truly repent. John 3:16 tells us "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." Some may interpret this verse as the word "believe" meaning those who follow His teachings. That is true, but you must also know that God exists and loves us.
Lastly, the Bible says that abortion is wrong. There are plenty of verses regarding this starting with Jeremiah 1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart."

Like I said, antiquated thinking for another peoples in another time. The OT also tells us these silly laws that have no business in today's world. Are you going to fallow them too? If not what if I said you can't be a real Christian? see how dumb you sound. God Saved me. I think I must have done something right. And He knows this.

If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be cut off from their people
~Leviticus 20:18

People who have flat noses, or are blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God
~Leviticus 21:17-18

Anyone who dreams or prophesizes anything that is against God, or anyone who tries to turn you from God, is to be put to death
~Deuteronomy 13:5
(The funny thing about this is that it goes against one of the ten commandments..."thou shalt not kill")

The eating of fat is prohibited forever
~Leviticus 3:17

Entrance into the assembly of the Lord was granted only to those with complete testicles
~Deuteronomy 23:1

Stubborn children were to be stoned, and the stoning was to be instigated by their parents
~Deuteronomy 21:18-21

False prophets are to be killed by their own parents
~Zechariah 13:3

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property
~Exodus 21:20-21

If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives
~Deuteronomy 22:28-29

If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters - yes, even his own life - he cannot be my disciple
~Luke 14:26

Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 6:29:53 PM

They are the flesh and this world. If they were followers of Christ the world would hate them.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 8:48:39 PM

Elaborate

The priest shall say unto the woman, The LORD make thee a curse and an oath among thy people, when the LORD doth make thy thigh to rot, and thy belly to swell. And this water that causeth the curse shall go into thy bowels, to make thy belly to swell, and thy thigh to rot: And the woman shall say, Amen, amen. ...
And when he hath made her to drink the water, then it shall come to pass, that, if she be defiled, and have done trespass against her husband, that the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter, and her belly shall swell, and her thigh shall rot: and the woman shall be a curse among her people. And if the woman be not defiled, but be clean; then she shall be free, and shall conceive seed. -- Numbers 5:21-21, 27-28The priest shall say unto the woman, The LORD make thee a curse and an oath among thy people, when the LORD doth make thy thigh to rot, and thy belly to swell. And this water that causeth the curse shall go into thy bowels, to make thy belly to swell, and thy thigh to rot: And the woman shall say, Amen, amen. ...
And when he hath made her to drink the water, then it shall come to pass, that, if she be defiled, and have done trespass against her husband, that the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter, and her belly shall swell, and her thigh shall rot: and the woman shall be a curse among her people. And if the woman be not defiled, but be clean; then she shall be free, and shall conceive seed. -- Numbers 5:21-21, 27-28

Abortion in the Bible.

#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 6:43:26 AM

They lie...

They lie...

They lie...

people following desires instead of what their holy books say are sh1ts. atlaest they can say i dont like it instead being a hypocrite.
Never fart near dog
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 3:11:54 PM

So that means you believe atheists should be eternally tortured over their beliefs?
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 3:24:16 PM
At 7/24/2015 6:43:26 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

They lie...

They lie...

They lie...

people following desires instead of what their holy books say are sh1ts. atlaest they can say i dont like it instead being a hypocrite.

People who dont follow the Bible are not sh1ts as you say. I was one for many years. (well, I admit I WAS a sh1t. worse even!) but not all atheists. many are good people. they just have not had God call them so they get a bit angry. like somebody who sees people with headphones on enjoying and being moved by a Bach piano concerto. bu they dont have the phones on and they cannot hear. so they get mad and attack and say "well Bach is not that good anyway!" Ha! Or atheists are like people who have a blindfold on in the Louvre and cannot see the great and gorgeous art so they think it is not there. Like God is. I feel sorry for them and hope they find God, I dont call them names.
the good news (gospel) is that some will someday have God grab them by their lapels and pull them to His face like he did me. not all but some. I pray that anybody who wants God will find Him. But God only selects some people. Not all. Not even all Christians are saved. Selective Grace is what its called.
mystery_man43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 3:44:07 PM
At 7/24/2015 3:11:54 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

So that means you believe atheists should be eternally tortured over their beliefs?
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life"

The Bible is clear that atheists do not inherit the kingdom of God. I believe what the Bible says.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 3:52:11 PM
At 7/24/2015 3:44:07 PM, mystery_man43 wrote:

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life"

The Bible is clear that atheists do not inherit the kingdom of God. I believe what the Bible says.

The Bible says a lot of things that were meant for different times. Its written by men. Like the post before that I did and you couldnt answer. Ha! where I pasted that list of silly outdated OT Laws and asked you: do believe and follow all these? why not? than means you are not a good Christian!
remember. go back and read it.
so its the same with your idea on atheist. Some DO go to Heaven. I was an atheist before getting Chosen. And also you know John Calvin--a great theologist with Luther--he thought that there is Irresistable Grace and Selective Grace by God. Some atheists will go to Heaven, some wont. Some Christians will go and some wont. God decides--we dont know how He chooses. of course they wont say this in the Bible because. 1)..they did not know it, and 2--the people who wrote the Bible wanted to convince people to listen to them so they said "don't believe in God or Jesus and you will burn."

Dont get me wrong: Im a Born Again Christian, but II also know there is way more to Salvation than the old words by ancient Hebrews.
Look at those laws from Deut. and Levit. I posted. Tell me this is not true.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 3:53:18 PM

Bible is wrong,,,well, outdated on many things. Especially OT. Like these.......

If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be cut off from their people

Anyone who dreams or prophesizes anything that is against God, or anyone who tries to turn you from God, is to be put to death
(The funny thing about this is that it goes against one of the ten commandments..."thou shalt not kill")

Entrance into the assembly of the Lord was granted only to those with complete testicles

Stubborn children were to be stoned, and the stoning was to be instigated by their parents

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property

If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives

If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters - yes, even his own life - he cannot be my disciple
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 3:56:41 PM
At 7/23/2015 6:21:31 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Like I said, antiquated thinking for another peoples in another time. The OT also tells us these silly laws that have no business in today's world. Are you going to fallow them too? If not what if I said you can't be a real Christian? see how dumb you sound. God Saved me. I think I must have done something right. And He knows this.

Pick one of those verses and we'll discuss it.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 4:00:32 PM

Amen...
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 4:02:58 PM

So based on your strict fundamentalist interpretation of the bible, you think atheists should all be brutally tortured and burnt in hell, simply over their beliefs? That's an awfully tolerant and loving god you have there.
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 4:11:50 PM
At 7/24/2015 3:56:41 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Can you defend Luke 14:26?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 4:16:15 PM
At 7/24/2015 4:11:50 PM, Philocat wrote:

Yes.
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 5:04:36 PM
At 7/24/2015 4:16:15 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 7/24/2015 4:11:50 PM, Philocat wrote:

Yes.

Show me ;)
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 6:45:22 PM
At 7/23/2015 4:36:07 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 7/23/2015 4:14:29 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:

By what authority or tradition do they have to interpret it differently?

If the actual text were to support their interpretation (which I am not sure if it does, as I have only read the Bible, and not done any intense analysis of it), then why do they need to have tradition or authority on their side?
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 7:16:56 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean that liberals are infiltrating the church? If that's what you mean, then yeah, it's happening. It's been happening for hundreds of years.
Christianity, unlike the Constitution, is a living, breathing religion. The people that follow it ascribe to the parts of it that fit in with the culture that they belong to. This is why it has been okay to be a Christian yet watch TV programs that have murder, adultery, and fornication in them, while at the same time, looking down on people who drink alcohol, which the disciples also drank. See how that works?
This problem that you have with people drinking is a result of the Temperance Movement. Prior to the Temperance Movement, some of the biggest drinkers in America were the Christians. It was a normal past-time for a Bible believing Christian to go down to the tavern after church and drink beer with his church buddies. It was natural for a Christian to do this since the Bible didn't condemn drinking but only frowned upon alcoholism (he who lingers long at the drink will have problems).

Liberal infiltration into your religion also happened when the Quakers said no to slavery. The Bible backed slavery up 100%. It was liberalism that changed the culture of slavery. The Christians living in that culture also had to change with the culture and so began to condemn slavery, which, by the way, the Bible does not condemn.

Today there are pastors that are liberally embracing the new culture. Your kids will also embrace this culture since it is the culture that they will be growing up in. They will couple it with their Christian viewpoint, just like you did with your culture when they started making movies that had a lot of murder and sex in them.

However, I do not agree with the churches embracing socialism or political correctness. To me, your pastors are cowards. They are afraid of ridicule, so they won't speak out against the socialistic movement that is taking over the culture and will lead to our imprisonment in the end.

In the end, if you pastors don't stop this thing, you will be meeting in basements at people's homes for church. This could all be stopped, however, very quickly. Stop your church from doing their business tax free. If they get rid of their tax fee status they will be able to say anything that they want to say from the pulpit.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 7:19:23 PM

Uh, you know that Christianity was an Hellenic liberalisation of Orthodox Judaism, right?

One that offended Orthodox Jewry so badly that -- apparently -- they had its leader killed, quashed reformation attempts and caused reform leaders to set up in Europe instead.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 7:49:18 PM
At 7/24/2015 7:19:23 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Uh, you know that Christianity was an Hellenic liberalisation of Orthodox Judaism, right?

One that offended Orthodox Jewry so badly that -- apparently -- they had its leader killed, quashed reformation attempts and caused reform leaders to set up in Europe instead.

Calling it a Hellenic liberalization is going to far I think. Was Jesus Greek? No.
Was Paul or the gospel writers Greek? No.
while true that Christianity, began by Jewsi and promulgated by Jews, DID spread into the Greek world, its origins are clearly Jewish. No Greek influence in their dogma, no Greek gods. Also, the gentile who did the most to help Chrisitnaity spread from Palestine into the rest of the then-developed world was Emprer Constantine, who made Christianity the official religion of Rome in the early part of the 4th century. LastI checked he was not Greek either.
The Greeks have their own Gods. They were polytheists. The Jews with their yahweh were monotheists. They never changed this to accomodate the Greek version. Greek Gods were later borrowed and tweaked by the Romans of course. Christianity stands apart from both those religions. Jesus never mentioned the Greeks being a part of his plan in his sayings from the Gospels. he in fact sometimes berated gentiles.
your point then, is pretty groundless as far as I can see.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 7:55:55 PM

I'm reading a book right now entitled "The Hijacking of Christianity" and your OP reminds me of it. it talks about how the religious reactionary Right has hijacked the original messages of Jesus and used them to justify their own greedy and right-wing agendas. Folks like the Republican Right and those fascist TV evangelicals. Like the idiot who claimed that Katrina was Gods Wrath on sinners.
these sort of people have helped give Christianity a bad rap among the more educated and moderate electorate. As well as the agnostics and atheists out there. I also consider the RCCto be a part of this problem. One day hopefully progressive Christians like myself will wrest our original Jesus Message back from the Reactionary Right. Who uses out-of-context and obsolete OT laws to explain their agendas of racism, homphobia, greed, anti-environmentallism, and misogyny.