Total Posts:102|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

God's viewpoint towards men before religion?

Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 11:10:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Before Christianity and Islam, what did God do with people when they died? What was his expectation? Did a Hell exist before Satan's fall? Are religions the answer?
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 2:00:19 AM
At 7/23/2015 11:10:03 PM, Sooner wrote:
Before Christianity and Islam, what did God do with people when they died? What was his expectation? Did a Hell exist before Satan's fall? Are religions the answer?
The Bible says: "and I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked." [NIV] (Acts 24:15) Why will those who were not righteous, or wicked, be resurrected? It is because they never had a chance to learn about God and what He wants people to do.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 2:12:38 AM
At 7/24/2015 2:00:19 AM, tstor wrote:
The Bible says: "and I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked." [NIV] (Acts 24:15) Why will those who were not righteous, or wicked, be resurrected? It is because they never had a chance to learn about God and what He wants people to do.

Oh good. I look forward to catching up with my caveman ancestors in the afterlife. Lol.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 2:21:01 AM
At 7/24/2015 2:12:38 AM, dee-em wrote:

Oh good. I look forward to catching up with my caveman ancestors in the afterlife. Lol.
Well, you have got a chance to learn about God and what you must do to be righteous. Some of your ancestors, whoever they may have been, did not get that chance.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 3:00:06 AM

Quran Surat Shura#42
Ayat#13. He has prescribed for you the same path of the Din (Religion) that He enjoined on Nuh (Noah), and that We have revealed to you, and that We enjoined on Ibrahim (Abraham) and Musa (Moses) and "Isa (Jesus. And all it denotes is) that you should hold fast to the same Din (Religion) and do not make divisions in it. That (Oneness of Allah) to which you call them is quite hard for those who set up partners with Allah. Allah chooses whom He pleases (for exclusive nearness) in His presence, and shows the path to (come) towards Himself to everyone who turns (towards Allah) heartily.

14. And they did not break up into factions, but only after knowledge had reached them, merely on account of their mutual obstinacy (and stubbornness). And had the command of your Lord not gone forth concerning (a respite for) an appointed time, the judgment would have been given between them. And verily, those who were made inheritors of the Book after them are themselves in deceitful doubt about it.

15. So keep calling them to this (Din [Religion]), and hold fast (to it) as the command has been given to you. And do not give any heed to their desires and say (this): "I believe in every Book that Allah has revealed, and I have been commanded to do justice between you. Allah is our Lord as well as your Lord. For us are our deeds and for you are your deeds. There is no debate and dispute between us and you. Allah will gather us all together and to Him is the return (of all)."

Thus ALLAH Almighty sent messengers & Prophets from the very first day, they all taught oneness of God with gradual addition of commandments i.e. do's & don'ts [according to gradual evolution of human civilization]. Prophets were entitled to books or complete shariah i.e. law to follow, that coming messengers used to preach, but as for reformation new Prophets had been arrived who revolutionized the shariah law [which got completed at last Prophet Muhammad (peace & blessing upon him), & that is satisfactory as we've been placed in peak of modern & civilized era now].

So those who followed the message of the Messenger of their time are entitled to be submissive & accepted. Plus all people were commanded to follow every coming Messenger/Prophet till the last one, so logically that is to avoid divisions.

Hell or heaven is matter of day of judgement. When people die, they're said to be in the intermediate world [but the man's spirit remain aware of its ease & pain]. So people of old times would also get paradise if they'd had submitted to God as messenger taught.
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 6:39:36 AM
At 7/24/2015 2:21:01 AM, tstor wrote:
At 7/24/2015 2:12:38 AM, dee-em wrote:

Well, you have got a chance to learn about God and what you must do to be righteous. Some of your ancestors, whoever they may have been, did not get that chance.

Why might that be do you think? Too hairy?
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 10:35:41 AM
At 7/24/2015 6:39:36 AM, dee-em wrote:

I am not sure what you mean. Assuming you are asking why God would grant forgiveness to people who did not/do not hear His message is answered in Deuteronomy 32:4:
"He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he." (NIV)
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 10:48:19 AM
At 7/24/2015 10:35:41 AM, tstor wrote:

I am not sure what you mean. Assuming you are asking why God would grant forgiveness to people who did not/do not hear His message is answered in Deuteronomy 32:4:
"He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he." (NIV)

What a laugh! Satan could be no worse than the deity featured in the Bible, if it exists!
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 11:05:45 AM
At 7/24/2015 10:48:19 AM, JJ50 wrote:

What a laugh! Satan could be no worse than the deity featured in the Bible, if it exists!
A little off topic from the original question. I wouldn't really want to create a whole new topic off of this thread.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 12:39:29 PM

Quran 10:47
And for every Ummah (a community or a nation), there is a Messenger; when their Messenger comes, the matter will be judged between them with justice, and they will not be wronged."
Never fart near dog
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 8:42:18 PM

I am not sure what you mean.

You stated that God didn't give this chance to our ancestors, ie. cavemen. I was questioning why he waited so long. Perhaps he had a thing about the hirsute?

Assuming you are asking why God would grant forgiveness to people who did not/do not hear His message is answered in Deuteronomy 32:4:

Scripture holds no authority for me. Sorry. :-)
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 10:36:39 PM
At 7/24/2015 8:42:18 PM, dee-em wrote:

You stated that God didn't give this chance to our ancestors, ie. cavemen. I was questioning why he waited so long. Perhaps he had a thing about the hirsute?
Asking for me, a fallible human, to explain God'is reasoning is really not the right question to ask. Why don't you consider doing a study of the scriptires?

Well, when you ask a scriptural question, you get a scriptural answer.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 7:21:36 AM
At 7/24/2015 10:36:39 PM, tstor wrote:

Asking for me, a fallible human, to explain God'is reasoning is really not the right question to ask. Why don't you consider doing a study of the scriptires?

Yes, of course. The usual cop-out. God works in mysterious ways. Lol.

What good would studying scripture do? It seems you have, and yet you can't answer a simple question.

Well, when you ask a scriptural question, you get a scriptural answer.

I asked a scriptural question? Really?

How about you admit that your claim about God (ie. humans pretending to channel God) describing the Earth as a sphere is not borne out by scripture. You have been refuted. Are you man enough to admit error?
number123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 8:36:55 AM

Ecclesiastes 3
17: I said in my heart, God will judge the righteous and the wicked, for he has appointed a time for every matter, and for every work.
18: I said in my heart with regard to the sons of men that God is testing them to show them that they are but beasts.
19: For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts; for all is vanity.
20: All go to one place; all are from the dust, and all turn to dust again.

Ezekiel 20
48: All flesh shall see that I the LORD have kindled it; it shall not be quenched."

Isaiah 43
2: When you pass through the waters I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.

Isaiah 40
1: Comfort, comfort my people, says your God.
2: Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and cry to her that her warfare is ended, that her iniquity is pardoned, that she has received from the LORD's hand double for all her sins.
3: A voice cries: "In the wilderness prepare the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
4: Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill be made low; the uneven ground shall become level, and the rough places a plain.
5: And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together, for the mouth of the LORD has spoken."
6: A voice says, "Cry!" And I said, "What shall I cry?" All flesh is grass, and all its beauty is like the flower of the field.
7: The grass withers, the flower fades, when the breath of the LORD blows upon it; surely the people is grass.
8: The grass withers, the flower fades; but the word of our God will stand for ever.

Isaiah 45:
20: "Assemble yourselves and come, draw near together, you survivors of the nations! They have no knowledge who carry about their wooden idols, and keep on praying to a god that cannot save.
21: Declare and present your case; let them take counsel together! Who told this long ago? Who declared it of old? Was it not I, the LORD? And there is no other god besides me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none besides me.
22: "Turn to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.
23: By myself I have sworn, from my mouth has gone forth in righteousness a word that shall not return: `To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.'
24: "Only in the LORD, it shall be said of me, are righteousness and strength; to him shall come and be ashamed, all who were incensed against him.
25: In the LORD all the offspring of Israel shall triumph and glory."

Isaiah 25: 6-9
6: On this mountain the LORD of hosts will make for all peoples a feast of fat things, a feast of wine on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wine on the lees well refined.
7: And he will destroy on this mountain the covering that is cast over all peoples, the veil that is spread over all nations.
8: He will swallow up death for ever, and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from all faces, and the reproach of his people he will take away from all the earth; for the LORD has spoken.
9: It will be said on that day, "Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, that he might save us. This is the LORD; we have waited for him; let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation."
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 9:09:14 AM
At 7/24/2015 10:36:39 PM, tstor wrote:

Please ignore the last paragraph of my previous post. I was confusing you with MTarra.
Sorry.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 2:34:50 PM
At 7/25/2015 7:21:36 AM, dee-em wrote:

What good would studying scripture do? It seems you have, and yet you can't answer a simple question.
Because most people will come to different conclusions or at least have different ways of explaining it. When I make an assumption, like an explanation of God's reasoning, it is no more correct than an assumption made by someone else. So I encourage you to study the scriptures and get your own view on it.

Yeah, really. You asked me a question that I would have to answer from the Bible.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 7:20:30 PM
At 7/25/2015 2:34:50 PM, tstor wrote:
At 7/25/2015 7:21:36 AM, dee-em wrote:

Because most people will come to different conclusions or at least have different ways of explaining it. When I make an assumption, like an explanation of God's reasoning, it is no more correct than an assumption made by someone else. So I encourage you to study the scriptures and get your own view on it.

No. You stated that no-one could fathom the mind of God. Therefore studying scripture is pointless in attempting to answer questions like the one I asked. This is by your own admission. If everyone reading the Bible comes to their own view and conclusions which aren't necessarily any more correct than someone else's, then there is no truth in scripture. It is all subjective and therefore of no intrinsic worth. Wouldn't you agree?

Yeah, really. You asked me a question that I would have to answer from the Bible.

I suspect you refer to the Bible to answer any question. By your definition, every possible question is then scriptural. Lol.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 8:15:16 PM

Excellent question. one I'm not sure I can answer. well I know I cant, really, Only give my opinion. I think that the same thing happened to pre-Islam and pre-Judeo Christian people as it does--did--after those religions came about. And thats that some people were elevated to a Next Level after death, one where its Spiritual and with God, while some did not get Chosen. for them, like now, theres nothing. Just a void.
How did God choose? Well just like now I dont know. I today believe in Calvinist thought, that some are called and cant Resist the Grace while some arent. I was Saved over a yeah ago, for an example. But I dont know why or what I did to deserve it. it really asked me even more questions about God than I had when I was an Atheist. obviously, since I didnt believe back then. The only answer I got when I got Saved was that God is real and that he CAN give us signs. And intervene in the physical world if He chooses. OI think that He did this before religion, as well. But His reasons for Selecting were different, since there was no Word for us to abide by or refuse.
Great question! a true head scratcher!!
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 8:23:42 PM

Judaism existed. He expected them to obey the Law. No. Depends
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 8:27:14 PM

Who says He waited "so long"? By whose standards? Certainly not some Being living outside of time.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 9:32:28 PM
At 7/25/2015 7:20:30 PM, dee-em wrote:

No. You stated that no-one could fathom the mind of God. Therefore studying scripture is pointless in attempting to answer questions like the one I asked. This is by your own admission. If everyone reading the Bible comes to their own view and conclusions which aren't necessarily any more correct than someone else's, then there is no truth in scripture. It is all subjective and therefore of no intrinsic worth. Wouldn't you agree?
You are right, no one can understand God's reasoning. That does not make studying the scriptures pointless for tough questions. You can come to your own conclusions and assumptions, like every Christian does when there is not a specific answer to a question about our Heavenly Father. Not everything in the Bible is up to interpretation. People like to make it out to be, but the majority of the Bible has a direct answer or leads you to a direct conclusion. This becomes easier when one does topical studies of scriptures vs. just going along reading from page 1 to 2. Understand?

I suspect you refer to the Bible to answer any question. By your definition, every possible question is then scriptural. Lol.
You suspected incorrectly. I do not reference the Bible when someone asks "What's your favorite food?", or other non-scriptural questions. And no, but you were curious about God, which as a Christian I get all my information about God from the Bible.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 9:32:28 PM

You are right, no one can understand God's reasoning. That does not make studying the scriptures pointless for tough questions. You can come to your own conclusions and assumptions, like every Christian does when there is not a specific answer to a question about our Heavenly Father. Not everything in the Bible is up to interpretation. People like to make it out to be, but the majority of the Bible has a direct answer or leads you to a direct conclusion. This becomes easier when one does topical studies of scriptures vs. just going along reading from page 1 to 2. Understand?

You suspected incorrectly. I do not reference the Bible when someone asks "What's your favorite food?", or other non-scriptural questions. And no, but you were curious about God, which as a Christian I get all my information about God from the Bible.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 9:46:03 PM

Hello "Sooner".
I reply:
God made Man.. Adam, PERFECT! There was NO death!!
Adams sin caused DEATH and imperfection to enter God' perfect creation.. God does all things PERFECTLY!

All die because sin entered the world.
All die but were not judged because their was NO Judge.. Jesus had not yet been born!

Jesus the perfect Judge decides who goes to Satan and eternal damnation!!!
All who died before Jesus were in "SHEOL" the Abode of the dead, waiting for judgement!

Satan was cast down to earth.... He will remain on earth long after all of humanity is gone! He will never leave earth, never enter heaven!
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 11:33:32 PM
At 7/25/2015 8:27:14 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

Who says He waited "so long"? By whose standards? Certainly not some Being living outside of time.

By the standards in which time is measured - years. Lol.

I would be interested in you explaining how existence "outside of time" works. How does God have a thought? How does he perform an act if there is no before and after the event. Please tell us how it works.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 11:37:15 PM
At 7/25/2015 11:33:32 PM, dee-em wrote:

I would be interested in you explaining how existence "outside of time" works. How does God have a thought? How does he perform an act if there is no before and after the event. Please tell us how it works.

Why does a parallel existence outside of this time mean with no time at all?

It doesn't
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 11:42:52 PM
At 7/25/2015 9:32:28 PM, tstor wrote:

Um, no. How can one be sure that the conclusions one reaches are correct? Surely, according to your explanation, one could be coming to false conclusions and therefore deluding oneself. Right?

You suspected incorrectly. I do not reference the Bible when someone asks "What's your favorite food?", or other non-scriptural questions. And no, but you were curious about God, which as a Christian I get all my information about the concept of God from the Bible.

Ah, I see. When you see the word God in a sentence, that's when you reach for the Bible. A scriptural question is one with the word God in it. Got it. Lol.

Note. I've corrected your last sentence. You obviously don't get information about God from your Bible since you couldn't answer my question.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2015 11:52:56 PM
At 7/25/2015 11:37:15 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

It doesn't

So God experiences a different time to us?

I'm curious. Please elaborate. I would be particularly interested in how God can act (or even perceive events) within the space-time of our universe if he doesn't experience our time. Wouldn't the whole universe (from the Big Bang to the end of time - if there is one) just flash before his eyes in literally no time at all according to his frame of reference?

I would also like to know of the relationship between God and this time which he supposedly experiences. Where does this time, seemingly independent of God, come from?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 12:10:11 AM
At 7/25/2015 11:52:56 PM, dee-em wrote:

It doesn't

I'm curious. Please elaborate. I would be particularly interested in how God can act (or even perceive events) within the space-time of our universe if he doesn't experience our time. Wouldn't the whole universe (from the Big Bang to the end of time - if there is one) just flash before his eyes in literally no time at all according to his frame of reference?

I would also like to know of the relationship between God and this time which he supposedly experiences. Where does this time, seemingly independent of God, come from?

I don't see how this is sooo hard to understand.

God is in this spacetime. God created this spacetime. Before this spacetime was here God already existed. So God ALSO...

...do you know what the word also means?

So (possibly) God is ALSO in a spacetime that is outside of ours.

Your illogic commits 2 false dichotomies. God being outside of this space time does not imply that there is no space time. God being outside this spacetime does not imply that God is excluded from this spacetime.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 4:16:41 AM
At 7/26/2015 12:10:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 7/25/2015 11:52:56 PM, dee-em wrote:

It doesn't

I don't see how this is sooo hard to understand.

God is in this spacetime. God created this spacetime. Before this spacetime was here God already existed. So God ALSO...

...do you know what the word also means?

So (possibly) God is ALSO in a spacetime that is outside of ours.

Your illogic commits 2 false dichotomies. God being outside of this space time does not imply that there is no space time. God being outside this spacetime does not imply that God is excluded from this spacetime.

Mhykiel, if you would like to make a sincere effort to address my questions and issues, please do so. If you want to go off on your own tangents, then you can do that but I will ignore you. Remember, you responded to me and purported to address my concerns with God being outside of time. Now you seem to be equivocating on God being both within and outside of time. See my bolded questions. If you want to speak to them, I will await a relevant response.

Btw, your concept of God inserting himself into our space-time is incoherent. There is no opportunity to do so unless God experiences the passage of our time, as I have already explained and you failed to address.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 6:15:04 AM

That doesn't answer the question. Years didn't exist until the Earth first traveled around the Sun. Not only that, but that only has to do with an Earthly year. There are billions upon billions of other planets that have different orbits. Besides that, God has existed for all eternity, so a few billion years is nothing to Him. He didn't wait at all.

I would be interested in you explaining how existence "outside of time" works.

Physical time doesn't exist in the realm of God's existence. He may experience everything as one eternal "now".

How does God have a thought? How does he perform an act if there is no before and after the event. Please tell us how it works.

Everything all at once.