Total Posts:69|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Power of prayer

Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 2:00:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

Not true, as our thoughts have a massive influence on our actions. in effect, a prayer can influence the outcome of our direction.
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 2:07:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

To add, your signature is only relevant to those who consider their religion as the only way, it does not apply to Gaudiya Vaishavism who claim that all religions are a medium for attaining the goal of knowing and understanding God.
bulproof
Posts: 25,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 2:48:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Prayer can move mountains, I did it the other day did you read about it? I moved Mt Everest.
So saith the bible.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 2:54:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 2:00:24 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

Not true, as our thoughts have a massive influence on our actions. in effect, a prayer can influence the outcome of our direction.

Positive thoughts are only a first step, and pretty much pointless without actions. Why pray to a higher being if the outcome is completely dependent on our own positive thoughts and actions? There are other more productive means to solve problems.

Plus, prayer is not always about the person praying or known about by the person(s) being prayed for. Often prayer is the first and last thing done to help others. The thirty seconds spent sending pleas towards the heavens are inadequate to help Sally after a house fire, but believers consider this A-OK and thank each other for the minimal effort (when they are aware of it.)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 3:00:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Talking to invisible supernatural characters is as futile as talking to Mother Nature, Santa or the Tooth fairy.

If you want a problem solved, finding a solution yourself is far more effective than asking some supernatural character to solve your problems for you.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 3:01:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 2:07:29 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

To add, your signature is only relevant to those who consider their religion as the only way, it does not apply to Gaudiya Vaishavism who claim that all religions are a medium for attaining the goal of knowing and understanding God.

That view would contradict other religions and I consider it to be just as wrong.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 3:02:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 2:00:24 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

Not true, as our thoughts have a massive influence on our actions. in effect, a prayer can influence the outcome of our direction.

So can thinking and considering the consequences of your actions before you act. No communication with supernatural entities is necessary. Simple logic and common sense is all you need.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 3:04:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 2:48:45 AM, bulproof wrote:
Prayer can move mountains, I did it the other day did you read about it? I moved Mt Everest.
So saith the bible.

Humans can move mountains. It just takes a bit of planning, a lot of hard work and heavy duty machinery.
No belief in gods necessary. Simple belief in human cooperation will do it.
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 3:21:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 2:54:22 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 2:00:24 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

Not true, as our thoughts have a massive influence on our actions. in effect, a prayer can influence the outcome of our direction.

Positive thoughts are only a first step, and pretty much pointless without actions. Why pray to a higher being if the outcome is completely dependent on our own positive thoughts and actions? There are other more productive means to solve problems.

Plus, prayer is not always about the person praying or known about by the person(s) being prayed for. Often prayer is the first and last thing done to help others. The thirty seconds spent sending pleas towards the heavens are inadequate to help Sally after a house fire, but believers consider this A-OK and thank each other for the minimal effort (when they are aware of it.)

Who knows, but positive thoughts are at least a step,

And was it not you who argued against me when I stated that faith without actions is dead.
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 3:23:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 3:01:27 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 2:07:29 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

To add, your signature is only relevant to those who consider their religion as the only way, it does not apply to Gaudiya Vaishavism who claim that all religions are a medium for attaining the goal of knowing and understanding God.

That view would contradict other religions and I consider it to be just as wrong.

It would contradict other religions? But it wouldn't make them wrong in their view, they are just different means to attain the same goal.

So why is it wrong to you?
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 3:46:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 3:02:04 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 7/26/2015 2:00:24 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

Not true, as our thoughts have a massive influence on our actions. in effect, a prayer can influence the outcome of our direction.

So can thinking and considering the consequences of your actions before you act. No communication with supernatural entities is necessary. Simple logic and common sense is all you need.

Not necessarily, you speak as if God doesn't exist, but if he does, I assume prayer could make a difference.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 4:12:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

GOd doesn't make calls, I mean that would requires it speaking for it's self.................
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Bennett91
Posts: 4,209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 4:28:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 3:46:38 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:02:04 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 7/26/2015 2:00:24 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

Not true, as our thoughts have a massive influence on our actions. in effect, a prayer can influence the outcome of our direction.

So can thinking and considering the consequences of your actions before you act. No communication with supernatural entities is necessary. Simple logic and common sense is all you need.


Not necessarily, you speak as if God doesn't exist, but if he does, I assume prayer could make a difference.

Science has shown us prayer does not make a difference.

http://www.nytimes.com...
http://faculty.mwsu.edu...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 4:42:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 4:28:38 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:46:38 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:02:04 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 7/26/2015 2:00:24 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

Not true, as our thoughts have a massive influence on our actions. in effect, a prayer can influence the outcome of our direction.

So can thinking and considering the consequences of your actions before you act. No communication with supernatural entities is necessary. Simple logic and common sense is all you need.


Not necessarily, you speak as if God doesn't exist, but if he does, I assume prayer could make a difference.

Science has shown us prayer does not make a difference.

http://www.nytimes.com...
http://faculty.mwsu.edu...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

That isn't science, that is only statistical data. it could also be that an external observer can effect the outcome.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 5:15:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Prayer can be thought of as both a literary and a performance art-form, just as poetry can be. And to that extent, atheist though I am, I take no offense or umbrage at prayers offered sincerely and respectfully. And equally, it seems to me that any art can inspire as prayer inspires.

However, I have also seen no competently-compiled, independently-reviewed evidence that prayer offers more material benefit than we might find in fiction, meditation, poetry, song, or in a placebo. And there's abundant evidence to show that it doesn't, and plenty of accepted psychological theory to explain subjective perceptions otherwise as ordinary human delusions.

That doesn't make prayer itself bad, but it does make theological claims of its metaphysical power ignorant and disingenuous.

It also means that when theology demands submission through prayer -- especially at times of anguish, misery or despair -- it's the psychological manipulation of people at their most vulnerable. I think there are ethical nuances associated with this often overlooked by those passionate in their faith, and sometimes outright cynical exploitation which, when it occurs, I find contemptible.

And like any art, prayer can also be used to express hate, scorn, contempt and patronisation. As an atheist I frequently find that prayers invoked specifically because I'm around, do this.

So when I see a title like 'Power of prayer', I do think somewhat of the power of art -- but also the power of bigotry, ignorance, deception, manipulation and hate.

I offer that perspective for theistic reflection.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 5:18:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 4:42:23 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 4:28:38 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:46:38 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:02:04 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 7/26/2015 2:00:24 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

Not true, as our thoughts have a massive influence on our actions. in effect, a prayer can influence the outcome of our direction.

So can thinking and considering the consequences of your actions before you act. No communication with supernatural entities is necessary. Simple logic and common sense is all you need.


Not necessarily, you speak as if God doesn't exist, but if he does, I assume prayer could make a difference.

Science has shown us prayer does not make a difference.

http://www.nytimes.com...
http://faculty.mwsu.edu...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...


That isn't science, that is only statistical data. it could also be that an external observer can effect the outcome.

Ummm what? Do you even know what you're saying? Stats are used in science all the time; and what external observer are you talking about? Because despite God being the ultimate observer His existence/non-existence does not lend credence to the healing powers of prayer.

I give you straight forward evidence that prayer doesn't work and you respond by showing your science illiteracy. Nice.
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 5:50:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 5:18:33 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/26/2015 4:42:23 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 4:28:38 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:46:38 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:02:04 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 7/26/2015 2:00:24 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.


Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

Not true, as our thoughts have a massive influence on our actions. in effect, a prayer can influence the outcome of our direction.

So can thinking and considering the consequences of your actions before you act. No communication with supernatural entities is necessary. Simple logic and common sense is all you need.


Not necessarily, you speak as if God doesn't exist, but if he does, I assume prayer could make a difference.

Science has shown us prayer does not make a difference.

http://www.nytimes.com...
http://faculty.mwsu.edu...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...


That isn't science, that is only statistical data. it could also be that an external observer can effect the outcome.

Ummm what? Do you even know what you're saying? Stats are used in science all the time; and what external observer are you talking about? Because despite God being the ultimate observer His existence/non-existence does not lend credence to the healing powers of prayer.

I give you straight forward evidence that prayer doesn't work and you respond by showing your science illiteracy. Nice.

Ever heard the saying, lies damned lies and statistics. If not, you need to.

Nobody can tell if God can hear our prayers and furthermore choose to respond to them , or not. Above that, God is not our servant, God is not there to provide for our every whim, we can not make God our servant.

Prayer is about a relationship with God and revealing to God what our intentions and desire are, not about, making God a servant.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 5:58:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 5:50:52 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 5:18:33 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/26/2015 4:42:23 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 4:28:38 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:46:38 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:02:04 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 7/26/2015 2:00:24 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.



Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

Not true, as our thoughts have a massive influence on our actions. in effect, a prayer can influence the outcome of our direction.

So can thinking and considering the consequences of your actions before you act. No communication with supernatural entities is necessary. Simple logic and common sense is all you need.


Not necessarily, you speak as if God doesn't exist, but if he does, I assume prayer could make a difference.

Science has shown us prayer does not make a difference.

http://www.nytimes.com...
http://faculty.mwsu.edu...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...


That isn't science, that is only statistical data. it could also be that an external observer can effect the outcome.

Ummm what? Do you even know what you're saying? Stats are used in science all the time; and what external observer are you talking about? Because despite God being the ultimate observer His existence/non-existence does not lend credence to the healing powers of prayer.

I give you straight forward evidence that prayer doesn't work and you respond by showing your science illiteracy. Nice.

Ever heard the saying, lies damned lies and statistics. If not, you need to.

Pulling a Mark Twain quote out of no where does nothing to defend your point. Which was that you assume if God exists then prayer would work. Also any fool can use that quote against stats they don't like. But at the end of the day the evidence still rests on my side.

Nobody can tell if God can hear our prayers and furthermore choose to respond to them , or not. Above that, God is not our servant, God is not there to provide for our every whim, we can not make God our servant.

So then prayer has no point, if it doesn't influence God then prayer is literally pointless even if God exists. Remember how you said prayer should work if God exists (especially when it comes to health)? That makes no sense given what you are now saying. Thanks for abandoning your position!

Prayer is about a relationship with God and revealing to God what our intentions and desire are, not about, making God a servant.

But you just admitted that we don't even know if God can hear prayer and God already knows what we desire. So what is the point of prayer?
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 6:12:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

An excuse, for when prayers don't get positive results, which is the case more often than not. If the deity exists it has its phone off most of the time, LOL!
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 6:19:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 5:58:43 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/26/2015 5:50:52 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 5:18:33 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/26/2015 4:42:23 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 4:28:38 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:46:38 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:02:04 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 7/26/2015 2:00:24 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.



Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

Not true, as our thoughts have a massive influence on our actions. in effect, a prayer can influence the outcome of our direction.

So can thinking and considering the consequences of your actions before you act. No communication with supernatural entities is necessary. Simple logic and common sense is all you need.


Not necessarily, you speak as if God doesn't exist, but if he does, I assume prayer could make a difference.

Science has shown us prayer does not make a difference.

http://www.nytimes.com...
http://faculty.mwsu.edu...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...


That isn't science, that is only statistical data. it could also be that an external observer can effect the outcome.

Ummm what? Do you even know what you're saying? Stats are used in science all the time; and what external observer are you talking about? Because despite God being the ultimate observer His existence/non-existence does not lend credence to the healing powers of prayer.

I give you straight forward evidence that prayer doesn't work and you respond by showing your science illiteracy. Nice.

Ever heard the saying, lies damned lies and statistics. If not, you need to.

Pulling a Mark Twain quote out of no where does nothing to defend your point. Which was that you assume if God exists then prayer would work. Also any fool can use that quote against stats they don't like. But at the end of the day the evidence still rests on my side.

Nobody can tell if God can hear our prayers and furthermore choose to respond to them , or not. Above that, God is not our servant, God is not there to provide for our every whim, we can not make God our servant.

So then prayer has no point, if it doesn't influence God then prayer is literally pointless even if God exists. Remember how you said prayer should work if God exists (especially when it comes to health)? That makes no sense given what you are now saying. Thanks for abandoning your position!

Prayer is about a relationship with God and revealing to God what our intentions and desire are, not about, making God a servant.

But you just admitted that we don't even know if God can hear prayer and God already knows what we desire. So what is the point of prayer?

You are putting words in my mouth I never stated, I never said how prayer should work regarding health, I just said nobody knows if God answers them or not. All I said was, is that an external observer might effect the outcome. This doesn't include God, but those trying to test God.

Although God may know our desires, it's another thing altogether actually letting God know we have intentions and desires, and letting him know we have expressed them, instead of just relying on God to do all the work. like a spoilt brat.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 8:14:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 3:46:38 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:02:04 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 7/26/2015 2:00:24 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

Not true, as our thoughts have a massive influence on our actions. in effect, a prayer can influence the outcome of our direction.

So can thinking and considering the consequences of your actions before you act. No communication with supernatural entities is necessary. Simple logic and common sense is all you need.


Not necessarily, you speak as if God doesn't exist, but if he does, I assume prayer could make a difference.

Since the 17,000 children who die of starvation every single day doesn't fluctuate much, we can assume prayer makes no difference at all.

However, the amount of lost car keys that have been found is on the rise, perhaps that's what you're referring as making a difference?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 8:17:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 5:50:52 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 5:18:33 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/26/2015 4:42:23 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 4:28:38 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:46:38 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:02:04 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 7/26/2015 2:00:24 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.



Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

Not true, as our thoughts have a massive influence on our actions. in effect, a prayer can influence the outcome of our direction.

So can thinking and considering the consequences of your actions before you act. No communication with supernatural entities is necessary. Simple logic and common sense is all you need.


Not necessarily, you speak as if God doesn't exist, but if he does, I assume prayer could make a difference.

Science has shown us prayer does not make a difference.

http://www.nytimes.com...
http://faculty.mwsu.edu...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...


That isn't science, that is only statistical data. it could also be that an external observer can effect the outcome.

Ummm what? Do you even know what you're saying? Stats are used in science all the time; and what external observer are you talking about? Because despite God being the ultimate observer His existence/non-existence does not lend credence to the healing powers of prayer.

I give you straight forward evidence that prayer doesn't work and you respond by showing your science illiteracy. Nice.

Ever heard the saying, lies damned lies and statistics. If not, you need to.

Nobody can tell if God can hear our prayers and furthermore choose to respond to them , or not. Above that, God is not our servant, God is not there to provide for our every whim, we can not make God our servant.

Prayer is about a relationship with God and revealing to God what our intentions and desire are, not about, making God a servant.

If we pray to God to find our lost car keys, that might be considered using God as a personal servant, but to ask God to save the starving children might be considered something else completely, don't ya think?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 8:46:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 8:14:28 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:46:38 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 3:02:04 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 7/26/2015 2:00:24 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

Not true, as our thoughts have a massive influence on our actions. in effect, a prayer can influence the outcome of our direction.

So can thinking and considering the consequences of your actions before you act. No communication with supernatural entities is necessary. Simple logic and common sense is all you need.


Not necessarily, you speak as if God doesn't exist, but if he does, I assume prayer could make a difference.

Since the 17,000 children who die of starvation every single day doesn't fluctuate much, we can assume prayer makes no difference at all.

However, the amount of lost car keys that have been found is on the rise, perhaps that's what you're referring as making a difference?

Ok creepy stalker troll
number123
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 9:14:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call. : :

Matthew 6
7: "And in praying do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their many words.
8: Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
9: Pray then like this: Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread;
12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors;
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
14 For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you; 15 but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 9:23:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 2:48:45 AM, bulproof wrote:
Prayer can move mountains, I did it the other day did you read about it? I moved Mt Everest.
So saith the bible.

im stupid what shall i do?
Never fart near dog
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 10:47:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

I think God answers prayers through the his people. What I'm suggesting is more prayers would get answered if more people answered God's call to action.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 10:49:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 2:48:45 AM, bulproof wrote:
Prayer can move mountains, I did it the other day did you read about it? I moved Mt Everest.
So saith the bible.

It says faith moves mountains not prayers. And I only ever tried this once on Mount St. Helens. Terrified me from ever trying again.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2015 10:52:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/26/2015 2:54:22 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 2:00:24 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/26/2015 1:45:11 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 7/26/2015 12:41:11 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
So many people think God is not answering prayers.

I think not enough people are answering his Call.

Prayer is the least amount of effort an individual can put into "solving problems" short of actually doing nothing.

Not true, as our thoughts have a massive influence on our actions. in effect, a prayer can influence the outcome of our direction.

Positive thoughts are only a first step, and pretty much pointless without actions. Why pray to a higher being if the outcome is completely dependent on our own positive thoughts and actions? There are other more productive means to solve problems.

Plus, prayer is not always about the person praying or known about by the person(s) being prayed for. Often prayer is the first and last thing done to help others. The thirty seconds spent sending pleas towards the heavens are inadequate to help Sally after a house fire, but believers consider this A-OK and thank each other for the minimal effort (when they are aware of it.)

James said Faith without works is dead.

I agree prayer is not a vending machine. If anything prayer is a outcry. And God will answer those pleas by issuing the appropriate orders. But if people don't obey the orders and don't DO what Godly people do then it will be for naught.