Jump to topic:

We can live without religion

TheRanjit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 8:19:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
i respect all religion,but a huamn can also live without religion.
take example of buddhist people too live without religion.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 9:35:46 AM
At 7/27/2015 8:19:18 AM, TheRanjit wrote:
Does anyone argue that people can't live without religion?
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:26:59 AM
Buddhism is a religion.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 11:21:59 AM
At 7/27/2015 10:26:59 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
Buddhism is a religion.

Buddhism is a philosophy and a path toward a enlightened life. It respects all life and worships nothing. With no deity, it is not a religion.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 11:32:18 AM
At 7/27/2015 11:21:59 AM, dhardage wrote:
Buddhism is a religion.

Buddhism is a philosophy and a path toward a enlightened life. It respects all life and worships nothing. With no deity, it is not a religion.

re"li"gion

n.
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usu. involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code for the conduct of human affairs.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

If it walks like a duck...
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 11:36:17 AM
Buddhism is a religion.

Buddhism is one of the 12 major religions of the world. Your interpretation is a convenient way to get out of the problem with separating religion from the secular, because many atheists like Buddhism because it doesn't speak of judgment.

So the convenient go-to suggests that Buddhism is merely a philosophy to get around the issue of separating religion from the secular. This way Buddhist type meditation can be included in public schools without any conflict because after all....Buddhism is no longer considered a religion (by some). Sorry, not going to work. As I said, Buddhism is one of the 12 major religions of the world. I assure you, it's included for a reason.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 11:52:04 AM
At 7/27/2015 11:32:18 AM, Geogeer wrote:
Buddhism is a religion.

re"li"gion

n.
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usu. involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code for the conduct of human affairs.

You should read the entire thing, not just the part that supports your assertion.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 11:54:52 AM
At 7/27/2015 11:36:17 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
Buddhism is a religion.

Buddhism is one of the 12 major religions of the world. Your interpretation is a convenient way to get out of the problem with separating religion from the secular, because many atheists like Buddhism because it doesn't speak of judgment.

So the convenient go-to suggests that Buddhism is merely a philosophy to get around the issue of separating religion from the secular. This way Buddhist type meditation can be included in public schools without any conflict because after all....Buddhism is no longer considered a religion (by some). Sorry, not going to work. As I said, Buddhism is one of the 12 major religions of the world. I assure you, it's included for a reason.

Buddhism worships no god or gods. One can be a Buddhist Catholic or Buddhist Baptist and there would be no conflict since Buddhism embodies the 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you'. Perhaps my definition of religion is a bit more rigid in that it requires a supernatural deity. For that reason I do not accept Buddhism to be a religion just as I do not accept Atheism as a religion, despite some theists' attempts to define it as one.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 11:59:43 AM
At 7/27/2015 11:54:52 AM, dhardage wrote:
Buddhism is a religion.

Buddhism worships no god or gods. One can be a Buddhist Catholic or Buddhist Baptist and there would be no conflict since Buddhism embodies the 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you'. Perhaps my definition of religion is a bit more rigid in that it requires a supernatural deity. For that reason I do not accept Buddhism to be a religion just as I do not accept Atheism as a religion, despite some theists' attempts to define it as one.
I'm not making any claims towards atheism. I'm focusing on Buddhism. Yes, by your interpretation it's not a religion. I understand that. But that's all it is. Your interpretation. A religion doesn't require the worship of a deity. But if that's how you want to interpret it, fine. But that's all it is.

So maybe the question should be, can we live without a God/god?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:07:12 PM
At 7/27/2015 11:59:43 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
Buddhism is a religion.

I'm not making any claims towards atheism. I'm focusing on Buddhism. Yes, by your interpretation it's not a religion. I understand that. But that's all it is. Your interpretation. A religion doesn't require the worship of a deity. But if that's how you want to interpret it, fine. But that's all it is.

Ok, Rod, please point to any other religion besides Buddhism that does not center on a deity of some sort?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:10:50 PM
At 7/27/2015 11:52:04 AM, dhardage wrote:
At 7/27/2015 11:32:18 AM, Geogeer wrote:
Buddhism is a religion.

re"li"gion

n.

You should read the entire thing, not just the part that supports your assertion.

I did. I quoted the entirety of description #1. The esp. and usu. are not mandatory qualifiers. If there is a denial of a supernatual agency that is equally applicable.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:11:08 PM
At 7/27/2015 12:07:12 PM, dhardage wrote:
Buddhism is a religion.

Ok, Rod, please point to any other religion besides Buddhism that does not center on a deity of some sort?
First off, there are many different sects within Buddhism, including sects that do point to deities.

As far as other religions similar to Buddhism where some sects do not point to a deity, New Age religion.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:18:23 PM
At 7/27/2015 12:11:08 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
Buddhism is a religion.

First off, there are many different sects within Buddhism, including sects that do point to deities.

As far as other religions similar to Buddhism where some sects do not point to a deity, New Age religion.

Care to be more specific? Your information is quite general and difficult to assess.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:34:14 PM
Can a cripple live without a crutch?
He could, but the crutch makes his life easier to accept.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
talmud
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:43:04 PM
take example of buddhist people too live without religion. : :

Saint Paul knew that humans live without religion.

Acts 17:
22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, To The Unknown God. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:52:15 PM
At 7/27/2015 11:52:24 AM, TheRanjit wrote:
dhardage
sayed right Buddhism is not a religion,
it's a philosophy of awakening.

No, it IS a religion my friend. But so what? That's not like its a derogatory name for it or anything. If you look at the definition an earlier post gave you will see thet Buddhism has all the ingredients of an organized religion. your idea is only your opinion and its wrong--no offense. look at any book on "Religions of the World." You'll find Buddhism right there with Hinduism, Islam, Judaism and Christianity.
The Awakening you mentioned is "Nirvana." It literally means "extinguished" in Sanskrit. As in extinguisshing the Flame of Desire, or Craving, that causes all human suffering. Attain Nirvana--put out the fire!--and you get off the merry go round of Samsara which is the endless cycle of birth and death.

Sure, the world could easily get along with no religions. It did for 99% of the history of Man if we go back to our homo erectus days. The thing is we Cant get along without God, since He Drives Evolution and is the Creator. but no organized religion? Easy peasy. We could just as well meditate and pray and talk to God by ourselves. Jesus even spoke out against formal region sometimes. Though He was undeniably a devout Jew. It was mainly thr hypocrisy He spoke against. The selfish Pomp. God detests that, you know!!
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:59:13 PM
At 7/27/2015 12:34:14 PM, bulproof wrote:
Can a cripple live without a crutch?
He could, but the crutch makes his life easier to accept.
Woops I missed the important bit.
In the case of religion, the crutch makes death easier to accept.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 1:25:56 PM
At 7/27/2015 12:52:15 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
dhardage

No, it IS a religion my friend. But so what? That's not like its a derogatory name for it or anything. If you look at the definition an earlier post gave you will see thet Buddhism has all the ingredients of an organized religion. your idea is only your opinion and its wrong--no offense. look at any book on "Religions of the World." You'll find Buddhism right there with Hinduism, Islam, Judaism and Christianity.
The Awakening you mentioned is "Nirvana." It literally means "extinguished" in Sanskrit. As in extinguisshing the Flame of Desire, or Craving, that causes all human suffering. Attain Nirvana--put out the fire!--and you get off the merry go round of Samsara which is the endless cycle of birth and death.

Sure, the world could easily get along with no religions. It did for 99% of the history of Man if we go back to our homo erectus days. The thing is we Cant get along without God, since He Drives Evolution and is the Creator. but no organized religion? Easy peasy. We could just as well meditate and pray and talk to God by ourselves. Jesus even spoke out against formal region sometimes. Though He was undeniably a devout Jew. It was mainly thr hypocrisy He spoke against. The selfish Pomp. God detests that, you know!!

" The thing is we Cant get along without God, since He Drives Evolution and is the Creator."

That is an unsupported and unsupportable assertion that has been at the heart of organized religion for millennia and it's usually used as a means of controlling the population. We don't need any god or gods, never have. The concept is primitive wishful thinking that something is up there (out there, or some other elsewhere) looking out for us as long as we believe. It's a child's hope and means nothing.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 2:57:50 PM
At 7/27/2015 12:18:23 PM, dhardage wrote:
Buddhism is a religion.

Care to be more specific? Your information is quite general and difficult to assess.
Here's a website that addresses specific Buddhist deities including a Tibetan sect of Buddhism that looks to a deity as a guide.

http://www.iloveulove.com...

There are also sects of Hinduism that don't prescribe to deities like Samkhya. Are you going to suggest that these Hindu sects are not religions as well?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 3:09:56 PM

I think Buddhists live without theology, Ranjit -- or at least, some do. I would not agree that most Buddhists live without religion. Key signatures of religion include metaphysical beliefs, doctrinal morality tied to those beliefs, and prayers and other ceremonies tied to those beliefs.

Most forms of Buddhism have all three. As an atheist, I recognise Buddhists as nontheistic, but I feel that most are not irreligious.

Yet, sure: we can have religions without theology, or lives without religion entirely.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 3:15:11 PM
At 7/27/2015 2:57:50 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 7/27/2015 12:18:23 PM, dhardage wrote:
Buddhism is a religion.

Here's a website that addresses specific Buddhist deities including a Tibetan sect of Buddhism that looks to a deity as a guide.

There are also sects of Hinduism that don't prescribe to deities like Samkhya. Are you going to suggest that these Hindu sects are not religions as well?

From your website.

Contrary to popular belief, these deities are not Buddhist Gods, but rather different aspects of the one God. Among these are several teachers or gurus, who have attained notoriety and importance, and as such are venerated."

While the term 'deity' is used, it is specified that these are but personifications of various aspects of 'the Infinite', which is to say, the universe.

What did the Buddhist say to the hot dog vendor? Make me one with everything.

Buddhism is the philosophy that everything is a part of a greater whole and that we are all part of God. It may be defined as a religion but it does not demand worship or obedience but emphasizes living with the world, not trying to subjugate it to one's desires. This is the primary difference in Buddhism and the three monotheistic faiths that dominate much of the world.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 3:16:09 PM
At 7/27/2015 2:57:50 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:

You're right, Roderick -- there are nontheistic sects of Hinduism. Samkhya is certainly a life-philosophy, but also has metaphysical beliefs, a morality based on those beliefs, and ritual tied to them.

So like you I think it's nontheistic, but not irreligious.

(I cherish this rare opportunity to share a brief high-5 with you. :D)
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 3:37:47 PM
At 7/27/2015 1:25:56 PM, dhardage wrote:
dhardage

" The thing is we Cant get along without God, since He Drives Evolution and is the Creator."

That is an unsupported and unsupportable assertion that has been at the heart of organized religion for millennia and it's usually used as a means of controlling the population. We don't need any god or gods, never have. The concept is primitive wishful thinking that something is up there (out there, or some other elsewhere) looking out for us as long as we believe. It's a child's hope and means nothing.

Spoken exactly like somebody who has never been Saved nor seen the Power of God. Or knows Him. Sorry about that, brother. I'll pray for you.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 3:39:36 PM
At 7/27/2015 3:37:47 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
dhardage

Spoken exactly like somebody who has never been Saved nor seen the Power of God. Or knows Him. Sorry about that, brother. I'll pray for you.

Don't waste your time doing that. Do something useful if you want to do something. Go help build a home for an underprivileged family. Take food to a shelter for the homeless. Anything that actually helps another instead of the placebo of the religious that makes them feel better without actually accomplishing anything.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 3:44:16 PM
At 7/27/2015 3:39:36 PM, dhardage wrote:
dhardage

Don't waste your time doing that. Do something useful if you want to do something. Go help build a home for an underprivileged family. Take food to a shelter for the homeless. Anything that actually helps another instead of the placebo of the religious that makes them feel better without actually accomplishing anything.

I do all that. I volunteer for Habitat For Humanity. My Church helps feed the homeless. I teach illiterate people to read twice a month in a program with my local Public Library. but thanks for telling me how to serve God.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 3:49:23 PM
At 7/27/2015 3:44:16 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
dhardage

I do all that. I volunteer for Habitat For Humanity. My Church helps feed the homeless. I teach illiterate people to read twice a month in a program with my local Public Library. but thanks for telling me how to serve God.

I'm very happy to hear that. My apologies for being presumptuous, My point, however, still stands. Prayer is only useful to the one praying and has never been demonstrated to actually change any outcome.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 3:51:18 PM
At 7/27/2015 3:49:23 PM, dhardage wrote:
dhardage

I'm very happy to hear that. My apologies for being presumptuous, My point, however, still stands. Prayer is only useful to the one praying and has never been demonstrated to actually change any outcome.

http://www.webmd.com...
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 3:52:15 PM
dhardage

http://www.nytimes.com...
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 3:53:02 PM
At 7/27/2015 3:52:15 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
dhardage

http://www.nytimes.com...

http://crispian-jago.blogspot.com...