Jump to topic:

Why doesn't God speak to anyone today?

Mike.com
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 4:08:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
He supposedly did in the OT but not sure he ever did afterwards even to Jesus and so IF the whole world is in religious turmoil, would you not think that God would want to put us all right on many things? Angels used to visit people to put them right, like to Muhammad and Joseph Smith and yet the Pope who is Christ's representative on earth. Not a sausage or even a small miracle of healing since the days of the apostles by any of them. Its in the NT that GREATER things they will do including raising the dead....

Why didn't they and why not today? Surely a visitation in an age of youtube would go a long long way into converting people to God IF John 3;16 was true that is..That none should perish etc?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 4:16:13 PM
At 7/27/2015 4:08:54 PM, Mike.com wrote:
He supposedly did in the OT but not sure he ever did afterwards even to Jesus and so IF the whole world is in religious turmoil, would you not think that God would want to put us all right on many things? Angels used to visit people to put them right, like to Muhammad and Joseph Smith and yet the Pope who is Christ's representative on earth. Not a sausage or even a small miracle of healing since the days of the apostles by any of them. Its in the NT that GREATER things they will do including raising the dead....

Why didn't they and why not today? Surely a visitation in an age of youtube would go a long long way into converting people to God IF John 3;16 was true that is..That none should perish etc?

http://www.debate.org...

God is running out of juice?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:09:08 PM
Hey, open your eyes and mind and look around! God speaks to me and through an Angel that guides me to deliver salvation spiritual knowledge that has been lost in the Abrahamic religions ruined by first priests of Judah, then the Church Fathers and Roman Catholics, both sets imposing their man-made political agendas on top of spiritual visions and spiritual instruction.

My spiritual work has been recognized in the Holy Land by hundreds of Nazarean Christian, even Muslims. My spiritual work has been recognized by Native American tribal leaders and I do bring brand new spiritual instruction, a whole new Christian theology, so forget your "Why doesn't God speak to anyone today", God's been saying a whole bunch, you've just haven't heard about it yet.
talmud
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:14:08 PM

Why didn't they and why not today? Surely a visitation in an age of youtube would go a long long way into converting people to God IF John 3;16 was true that is..That none should perish etc? : :

God has revealed everything to his latter servants my friend. Even his prophets wouldn't understand what we know today.
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:42:21 PM
At 7/27/2015 10:09:08 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
Hey, open your eyes and mind and look around! God speaks to me and through an Angel

I'm glad I don't hear voices.

Herbert William Mullin (born April 18, 1947) is a serial killer who committed 13 murders in California in the early 1970s. By 1972, Mullin was 25 and had moved back in with his parents in Santa Cruz. By now he was hearing voices in his head that told him an earthquake was imminent, and that only through human sacrifice could he save California.

A well known visionary serial killer is David Berkowitz (The Son of Sam) born June 1st 1953 in the Bronx, who killed because he believed a dog was instructing him to do so

Another visionary serial killer is The BTK (Bind, Torture, Kill) killer of Wichita Kansas. His real name is Dennis Rader. He blames a demon for the murders, claiming a demon got inside of him at an early age.

Itzcoatl "Izzy' Ocampo, the ex-Marine accused of murdering six people, is reportedly hearing voices and attempting to bang them out of his head in the Men's Central Jail in Santa Ana.
Think
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:55:32 PM
At 7/27/2015 10:42:21 PM, ecco wrote:

I'm glad I don't hear voices.
I agree. I am a Christian and have never had these extremely odd experiences that other Christians claim to have, such as hearing voices.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 11:22:31 PM
Silly people who don't seem to have a clue that their whole religious belief systems came about through people hearing the Voice of God anywhere from a real voice in their heads to Signs, synchronicity events, carrying God's spiritual instructions. Of course discernment of truth is required as there is a cacophony of Voices of God which is why Jesus gave us the wisdom how to tell the real deal in prophesy bearing from phonies. "By their fruits ye shall know them". So, don't hand us lack of discernment by people unable to judge spiritual things as being anything valuable to those of us with spiritual discernment. Of course religious visions have to come from some place and they do often come with accompanying Voice of God instructions. If the instructions lead to harming others, it's not of God or the Spirit of Christ, it's a personal demon gotten hold of a vulnerable mind and made that mind a tool of evil instead of good.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 12:27:46 AM

Well they only tended to get one prophet ever 50 years or so... If you look you'll find all sorts of people who have received messages from God.

St. Francis - Go and rebuild my Church.
Children of Fatima
St. Bernadette

I particularly like the one from Pope Leo XXIII:

When the aged Pontiff had finished celebrating Mass in his private Vatican Chapel, attended by a few Cardinals and members of the Vatican staff, he suddenly stopped at the foot of the altar. He stood there for about 10 minutes, as if in a trance, his face ashen white. When asked what had happened, he explained that, as he was about to leave the foot of the altar, he suddenly heard voices - two voices, one kind and gentle, the other guttural and harsh. They seemed to come from near the tabernacle. As he listened, he heard the following conversation:

The guttural voice, the voice of Satan in his pride, boasted to Our Lord: "I can destroy your Church."

The gentle voice of Our Lord: "You can? Then go ahead and do so."

Satan: "To do so, I need more time and more power."

Our Lord: "How much time? How much power?

Satan: "75 to 100 years, and a greater power over those who will give themselves over to my service."

Our Lord: "You have the time, you will have the power. Do with them what you will."
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 12:43:39 AM
At 7/27/2015 11:22:31 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
Silly people who don't seem to have a clue that their whole religious belief systems came about through people hearing the Voice of God anywhere from a real voice in their heads to Signs, synchronicity events, carrying God's spiritual instructions. Of course discernment of truth is required as there is a cacophony of Voices of God which is why Jesus gave us the wisdom how to tell the real deal in prophesy bearing from phonies. "By their fruits ye shall know them". So, don't hand us lack of discernment by people unable to judge spiritual things as being anything valuable to those of us with spiritual discernment. Of course religious visions have to come from some place and they do often come with accompanying Voice of God instructions. If the instructions lead to harming others, it's not of God or the Spirit of Christ, it's a personal demon gotten hold of a vulnerable mind and made that mind a tool of evil instead of good.

No one would be able to tell the difference until after the fact. I don't think there are any people in modern times with good spiritual discernment.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 12:53:46 AM
At 7/28/2015 12:27:46 AM, Geogeer wrote:

Well they only tended to get one prophet ever 50 years or so... If you look you'll find all sorts of people who have received messages from God.

Children of Fatima
St. Bernadette

When the aged Pontiff had finished celebrating Mass in his private Vatican Chapel, attended by a few Cardinals and members of the Vatican staff, he suddenly stopped at the foot of the altar. He stood there for about 10 minutes, as if in a trance, his face ashen white. When asked what had happened, he explained that, as he was about to leave the foot of the altar, he suddenly heard voices - two voices, one kind and gentle, the other guttural and harsh. They seemed to come from near the tabernacle. As he listened, he heard the following conversation:

The guttural voice, the voice of Satan in his pride, boasted to Our Lord: "I can destroy your Church."

Satan: "75 to 100 years, and a greater power over those who will give themselves over to my service."

Our Lord: "You have the time, you will have the power. Do with them what you will."

When was that and what language did they use and why would they need verbal communication.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 1:31:18 AM

Why didn't they and why not today? Surely a visitation in an age of youtube would go a long long way into converting people to God IF John 3;16 was true that is..That none should perish
etc?

-----Why isn't God talking to anybody? I've got some theories.-----
1)The War on Drugs: If it were legal to have and do certain drugs, many more people would hear God speak audibly.
2)Evolution de-evolved our ability to hear significatly since those days because in order to survive in a house with a modern woman, your hearing must be significantly reduced. We don't hear as well as they did then.
3)God's on vacation. Bruce Allmighty has been running the show while God is vacationing, and he's too busy taking care of his personal business to audibly convert with others in his "God voice".

-----God is talking to people audibly today-----

1)Alzheimer's patients
2)Users of hallucination causing drugs
3)Televangelists claim hearing him a lot.
4)Schitzophrinics
5)Anyone at a sporting event. Don't you dare tell me you have not heard a loud voice from the sky announcing the starting lineup. You know you have. Denial can be an ugly thing.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 1:37:47 AM
He supposedly did in the OT but not sure he ever did afterwards

Anyone can claim that they feel they have been spoken to by some metaphysical being, Mike, but nobody has the authority to claim without evidence that what has spoken to them is a god.

We know today that people are easily duped and deluded, and that one can't claim that miracles occurred without meticulous clinical analysis, and unfortunately, nobody can supply that for ancient miracles.

But even if ancient miracles occurred, all that might suggest is that a metaphysical agency performed them -- not that this agency is a god.

What is a god? Is it any metaphysical agency? Judaeo-Christian canon is full of angels, demons, spirits, a kind of metaphysical being the Israelites called a 'false god', and a being they called a 'true god'. All of these, if they existed, would be metaphysical agencies. All metaphysical agencies, if they exist and care to do so, can do wondrous things. Any of them might talk to you. How could you tell them apart? Even if they told you who they were, how would you confirm it?

And how can you count them? In our world, we need both time and space to count individuals. Twin brothers can look and sound exactly alike, but we can tell there are two of them and not one by knowing that at any one time, there are two different places, each occupied by one brother. Two spaces with one brother at the same time makes two brothers. That's how we count things.

But by definition, metaphysical agencies aren't bound by space, and perhaps not time either. How can you count them? If there are gods, how can you know there is only one or which one you're even talking to?

And a god is more than just a metaphysical agency, isn't it? A god is an object of moral respect, of reverence and worship, commandments and laws -- an ultimate moral authority.

What makes its morality authoritative? And even more importantly, what makes its authority moral? Is the ability to create and destroy sufficient authority? And is that the same as morality? Has creation and destruction and great moral insight been demonstrated to you? And how do you know that ability is unique, and that other metaphysical agencies can't do the same?

I think we are led to two findings and a conclusion, Mike:

1) We don't know and can't possibly know:
* that the scriptural characters who claimed gods spoke to them actually existed;
* whether, even if they existed, that anything actually spoke to them;
* whether what spoke to them was a metaphysical agency;
* whether the thing that might have spoken to them was the same thing in every case, or several things with common knowledge of human history;
* that any of them has any authority in the first place; or
* that any authority they may have, is moral;

2) However, we do know:
* that scholars now consider the historicity of Old Testament patriarchs unlikely;
* that no scripture has ever supplied significant, specific, surprising, accurate and independently-confirmable knowledge even once, much less with the reliability needed to make it metaphysically authoritative;
* that there has also never even once been a significant, specific, indpendently-confirmed miracle performed under clinical conditions;
* that we have nevertheless had over fifty years of specific and incentivised invitations to supply either, which test has never been met [http://web.randi.org...] but
* that every ancient scripture shows the same error, ignorance and oversights of ancient knowledge common to the day;
* that humans are easily deluded and deceived; that
* ancient and even modern hagiographers are prone to exaggeration and invention to make rhetorical points; and therefore
* appealing to ancient testimony with little historical credibility makes it less credible, and not more.

And thus we are led to conclude that:
* no scripture is evidence even for metaphysical agency, much less gods;
* it is near impossible to claim that there is only one significant metaphysical agency anyway, and thus monotheists cannot really tell what they're worshiping;
* scripture can only ever offer claims of metaphysical agency, while claims of moral authority must be subject to far greater scrutiny than stories and testimonies alone can possibly support;
* scriptural claims are therefore not only inconclusive, but their truth is rendered highly unlikely by what else we know about the world we live in, the times in which they were written, and the philosophical confusion associated with the claims.

And therefore that:
* scriptural stories should not be used as claims of moral or intellectual authority;
* scriptures may therefore be used to inspire, but should never be used to compel, coerce, persecute or punish; and that
* in the light of the above, people who use them in this way are suffering both intellectual weakness and a major moral lapse.

That's why God isn't talking to anyone, Mike. The people claiming that it happened yesterday, or last century, or a milennium ago, or three -- are suffering intellectual weakness and a major moral lapse.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 5:10:19 PM

Children of Fatima
St. Bernadette

I believe George W Bush also had God telling him about Iraq and terrorism. Good thing too otherwise he would not have ended tyranny in Iraq. Wait a min.....isn't there still tyranny in Iraq, aka ISIL?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 5:32:56 PM
At 7/28/2015 12:53:46 AM, bulproof wrote:

Children of Fatima
St. Bernadette

When was that and what language did they use and why would they need verbal communication.

And how did that conversation take 10 minutes?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 6:00:43 PM
At 7/28/2015 5:10:19 PM, slo1 wrote:

Children of Fatima
St. Bernadette

I believe George W Bush also had God telling him about Iraq and terrorism. Good thing too otherwise he would not have ended tyranny in Iraq. Wait a min.....isn't there still tyranny in Iraq, aka ISIL?

Meh. There is no evidence that GWB was in any way right or in accord with Church teaching.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 12:55:40 AM

As you might suspect, maybe it wasn't really God at all but a small "g" god, a being of power but not God-maybe aliens? I have always asked this question of religious people, especially born again Christians and devout Muslims. "Why would God only speak to people hundreds of years ago-It sounds kind of silly doesn't it"? There is a series of books called "A Conversation with God" Who is to say that if that book was written 2000 years ago, it wouldn't be the Bible today. The God in those books is very funny, intelligent, loving, pragmatic and non condemning. My kind of God.