Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

Can church be forced to marry homosexuals?

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 5:39:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As I understand it, churches are exempt from the government forcing them to participate in same sex marriages. However, I have heard the argument that churches are being subsidized by the government through their tax exempt status in which case churches could start paying taxes or stop issuing State marriage licenses. Either way, it doesn't appear that churches will be unwillingly marrying homosexuals. Do believers have a legitimate fear here? Your thoughts?

*I have also posted this in the politics forum - I don't really know where this goes...
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:36:24 PM
At 7/27/2015 5:39:59 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
As I understand it, churches are exempt from the government forcing them to participate in same sex marriages. However, I have heard the argument that churches are being subsidized by the government through their tax exempt status in which case churches could start paying taxes or stop issuing State marriage licenses. Either way, it doesn't appear that churches will be unwillingly marrying homosexuals. Do believers have a legitimate fear here? Your thoughts?

*I have also posted this in the politics forum - I don't really know where this goes...

Oddly enough I had just read an article on whether an exemption is a subsidy.

Supreme Court of the United States in 1970, in the case Walz versus Tax Commission of the City of New York; it was a stunning 8-1 decision. Writing for the majority, Chief Justice Warren Burger made very clear that a tax exemption is not a subsidy; that was affirmed by other justices in concurring opinions. A subsidy would be the transfer of tax money to institutions. That"s not what"s going on here". Rather, the tax exemption is granted with respect to institutions the government does not feel that it has the right to tax on the one hand and on the other hand, institutions that it believes are essential to the Commonwealth and to the commonweal, to the well-functioning of society.

http://www.str.org...
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 10:45:34 PM
At 7/27/2015 5:39:59 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
As I understand it,

Where does your "understanding" come from?
Think
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 1:14:09 AM
I'm not religious, so this is a neutral opinion.

I would say no. The church in this case is not a public entity working in behalf of the government. It is not a tax supported entity. It gets a tax break, but recieves no public funding.

1)Someone could say "discrimination", but if you personally don't like a race, a group, a religion, or a person, you don't have to let them in your house or help them out. That is your right whether it's right or wrong).

2)A private school can discriminate against anyone, but they don't recieve public funding. Examples being Native American private schools only accepting Native Americans. A Catholic school only accepting Catholics.

3)It would break the laws of the seperation of church and state. If that church condemns homosexuality, then to force them to marry two homosexuals would be a violation of those laws. (Perhaps religious homosexuals could form their own churches if it's a concerning issue. Or they could get the credentials to legally marry a couple. A homosexual church could refuse to marry a straight couple.

Homosexuality is a person's choice. (Now, I understand the "you're born with it" declaration.) If they want to get married, they have the right to be just as miserable as everybody else. ;-)
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.