Jump to topic:

Argument From Evil

Hardtruthmerchant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 5:12:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The argument from evil is a very very interesting argument that basically says God cannot exist in a world with gratuitous pain and suffering. I do consider it a very interesting argument, but I wonder what theists and atheist responses would be to it. I am an agnostic myself in the Thomas Huxley sense of that word.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 5:19:13 AM
At 7/31/2015 5:12:14 AM, Hardtruthmerchant wrote:
The argument from evil is a very very interesting argument that basically says God cannot exist in a world with gratuitous pain and suffering. I do consider it a very interesting argument, but I wonder what theists and atheist responses would be to it. I am an agnostic myself in the Thomas Huxley sense of that word.
Well, I am a Christian, so naturally I will reference the scriptures for my response.
The question of why God would allow evil has been asked for ages. Even the prophet Habukkuk asked why in Hubukkuk 1:2-4:
[2]
"How long, Lord, must I call for help,
but you do not listen?
Or cry out to you, "Violence!"
but you do not save?
[3]
Why do you make me look at injustice?
Why do you tolerate wrongdoing?
Destruction and violence are before me;
there is strife, and conflict abounds.
[4]
Therefore the law is paralyzed,
and justice never prevails.
The wicked hem in the righteous,
so that justice is perverted."
(NIV)

However, I believe it to be answered best in 2 Corinthians 4:4:
"The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God." (NIV)
Who is the "god of this age"? None other than Satan himself.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 5:47:27 AM

I would agree with it. If God exists and he is omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent then there shouldn't be any gratuitous suffering.

Although, the more classical form of the argument contends that if such a god existed there shouldn't be any evil at all.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 8:14:43 AM

That's the general argument but more exactly it is argued that unnecessary suffering is logical incompatible with a certain type of God, all knowing, all powerful, morally good.

From what I can tell most people agree with that, thus the argument comes down to which is more probable/plausible, that unnecessary suffering does or does not exist.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12