Jump to topic:

IsGod from the old testament evil?

ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 4:35:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I heard Richard Dawkins say that and wanted to hear your guys thoughts.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 4:38:15 PM
At 7/31/2015 4:35:46 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:

Yes.
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 5:17:38 PM
At 7/31/2015 4:38:15 PM, bulproof wrote:

Yes.

Why?

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 5:26:34 PM
At 7/31/2015 5:17:38 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:

Yes.

Why?

Genocide usually indicates "evil". Sins of the father to the son, destruction of cities, asking for human sacrifice, killing of all the first born in certain regions, allowing for slavery, you know, the usual.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 5:36:58 PM
At 7/31/2015 5:26:34 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 7/31/2015 5:17:38 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:

Yes.

Why?

Genocide usually indicates "evil". Sins of the father to the son, destruction of cities, asking for human sacrifice, killing of all the first born in certain regions, allowing for slavery, you know, the usual.

You literally stole the words from my mouth.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 5:50:04 PM

No, I don't think he was, A plan was set and nothing could stop that plan, which included the Jews leaving captivity and getting to the promise land. anyone who stood against those plans did so at their own peril...
rj_richards
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 1:42:01 AM
I heard Richard Dawkins say that and wanted to hear your guys thoughts. : :'

Read this;

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
16: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
17: Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on account of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed. : :

If you listen to his voice, you will learn why he created good and evil. His commandments can be heard in the gospel that is preached by his saints.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 1:53:28 AM
At 7/31/2015 5:50:04 PM, graceofgod wrote:

No, I don't think he was, A plan was set and nothing could stop that plan, which included the Jews leaving captivity and getting to the promise land. anyone who stood against those plans did so at their own peril...
The whole exodus myth never happened. Sorry.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 1:54:17 AM
At 8/1/2015 1:42:01 AM, rj_richards wrote:

Read this;

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on account of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed. : :

If you listen to his voice, you will learn why he created good and evil. His commandments can be heard in the gospel that is preached by his saints.

You're getting a rapid recycle these days bog.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 2:20:49 AM

Yes.

Oh, Dawkins said more than that. Here is his quote in its entirety. From the God Delusion. A book I've read twice. And I love this quote. I used to use it as my signature on net forums when I was an Atheist. I would also quote it whenever I could in public, around bellievers. I STILL agree with it.

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 2:23:01 AM
At 8/1/2015 1:53:28 AM, bulproof wrote:

Wrong.

Again.

The Hebrew Diaspora that the Bible calls Exodus from the 2nd book in the Torah DID occur. But it was far more gradual and took longer than only 40 years. Need a link or two? or three?
GodBless.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 2:32:14 AM
At 8/1/2015 2:23:01 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Wrong.

Again.

The Hebrew Diaspora that the Bible calls Exodus from the 2nd book in the Torah DID occur. But it was far more gradual and took longer than only 40 years. Need a link or two? or three?
GodBless.
See if you can find something scientific to support your erroneous claim.

A century of research by archaeologists and Egyptologists has found no evidence which can be directly related to the Exodus captivity and the escape and travels through the wilderness,[5] and most archaeologists have abandoned the archaeological investigation of Moses and the Exodus as "a fruitless pursuit".[6] A number of theories have been put forward to account for the origins of the Israelites, and despite differing details they agree on Israel's Canaanite origins.[26] The culture of the earliest Israelite settlements is Canaanite, their cult-objects are those of the Canaanite god El, the pottery remains in the local Canaanite tradition, and the alphabet used is early Canaanite, and almost the sole marker distinguishing the "Israelite" villages from Canaanite sites is an absence of pig bones, although whether even this is an ethnic marker or is due to other factors remains a matter of dispute.[27]
https://en.wikipedia.org...
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 2:32:50 AM
At 8/1/2015 1:54:17 AM, bulproof wrote:

Read this;

Deuteronomy 28

You're getting a rapid recycle these days bog.

I been counting: Talmud....ticktock.....RJ....in 48 hours!
rj_richards
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 2:35:47 AM

Read this;

Deuteronomy 28

You're getting a rapid recycle these days bog. : :

Yes. I am getting quicker at getting back in this forum. Practice makes perfect. LOL !!!!
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 2:35:52 AM
At 8/1/2015 2:32:14 AM, bulproof wrote:

Wrong.

Again.

GodBless.

A century of research by archaeologists and Egyptologists has found no evidence which can be directly related to the Exodus captivity and the escape and travels through the wilderness,[5] and most archaeologists have abandoned the archaeological investigation of Moses and the Exodus as "a fruitless pursuit".[6] A number of theories have been put forward to account for the origins of the Israelites, and despite differing details they agree on Israel's Canaanite origins.[26] The culture of the earliest Israelite settlements is Canaanite, their cult-objects are those of the Canaanite god El, the pottery remains in the local Canaanite tradition, and the alphabet used is early Canaanite, and almost the sole marker distinguishing the "Israelite" villages from Canaanite sites is an absence of pig bones, although whether even this is an ethnic marker or is due to other factors remains a matter of dispute.[27]

Did you even READ the Wiki? It basically supported my claim. YOu need to read past the first 'graph, brother! LOL. I was even gonna use it myself.

meanwhile..............http://www.biblearchaeology.org...

But really, I don't want to get too deep into the position of defending Torah veracity or historicity. You have most certainly seen my past opinions and posts on that topic. As you know I am NOT a Biblical literalist.
God Bless.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 2:42:46 AM

Wrong.

Again.

GodBless.

Being the Big Man that I am...LOL...I am going to admit right now that the secular evidence for the Exodus seems to be more spurious than I had originally thought. I did find this. I will admit to being partially wrong with my OP. Apologies.

The Book of Genesis and Book of Exodus describe a period of Hebrew servitude in ancient Egypt, during decades of sojourn in Egypt, the escape of well over a million Israelites from the Delta, or the three months journey through the wilderness to Sinai.[2] However, most histories of ancient Israel no longer consider information about the Exodus recoverable or even relevant to the story of Israel's emergence due to the complete lack of direct evidence for its historicity. Historically, there were no Jews in Bronze Age Egypt (the setting of Exodus and, long before that, of the pyramids' erection), because there were no Jews at all until the rise of the kingdom of Judah in the Iron Age. Israelites first appear in the archeological record on the Merneptah Stele from between 1208-3 BCE; right at the end of the Bronze Age. A reasonably Bible-friendly interpretation is that they were a federation of Habiru tribes of the hill-country around the Jordan River. Presumably, this federation consolidated into the kingdom of Israel, and Judah split from that, during the dark age that followed the Bronze. The Bronze Age term "Habiru" was more general than the Biblical "Hebrew"; it referred simply to Levantine nomads, of any religion or ethnicity. Mesopotamian, Hittite, Canaanite, and Egyptian sources discuss them largely as bandits, mercenaries, and slaves. Certainly, there were some Habiru slaves in ancient Egypt; but native Egyptian kingdoms were not heavily slave-based.[3]
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 3:22:31 AM
At 8/1/2015 2:35:47 AM, rj_richards wrote:

Read this;

Deuteronomy 28

Yes. I am getting quicker at getting back in this forum. Practice makes perfect. LOL !!!!

... and the mods are getting more proficient at getting rid of you.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 4:14:07 AM
At 8/1/2015 2:35:52 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Wrong.

Again.

GodBless.

Did you even READ the Wiki? It basically supported my claim. YOu need to read past the first 'graph, brother! LOL. I was even gonna use it myself.

meanwhile..............http://www.biblearchaeology.org...

But really, I don't want to get too deep into the position of defending Torah veracity or historicity. You have most certainly seen my past opinions and posts on that topic. As you know I am NOT a Biblical literalist.
God Bless.

You have reading comprehension difficulties if you think that para supports your claim, but hey you're a godbotherer and reading comprehension is obligatory.
An apologist website really, I mean really?
Never mind.

If so then don't make these claims:
It just makes you look stupid.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 6:14:46 AM

you are entitled to your opinion...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 6:22:04 AM
At 8/1/2015 6:14:46 AM, graceofgod wrote:

Lucky for me it's the opinion of most archeologists and historian involved with that area of study.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 6:24:51 AM
At 8/1/2015 6:22:04 AM, bulproof wrote:

Lucky for me it's the opinion of most archeologists and historian involved with that area of study.

only most, not all, that's interesting and do you have figures to prove it is most...
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 7:53:12 AM
At 8/1/2015 2:20:49 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Yes.

Oh, Dawkins said more than that. Here is his quote in its entirety. From the God Delusion. A book I've read twice. And I love this quote. I used to use it as my signature on net forums when I was an Atheist. I would also quote it whenever I could in public, around bellievers. I STILL agree with it.

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

If you believe that then why are you Christian?

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 11:14:28 AM
At 8/1/2015 6:24:51 AM, graceofgod wrote:

only most, not all, that's interesting and do you have figures to prove it is most...
I've been supplying that information to ignorant godbotherers for decades, why don't you put a little effort in educating yourself, there is just so much you don't know.
Why don't you go and learn something other than the fairytales in the great Catholic book you worship and then come back and see if you are capable of conversing with educated adults.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 12:59:39 PM
At 8/1/2015 11:14:28 AM, bulproof wrote:

I've been supplying that information to ignorant godbotherers for decades, why don't you put a little effort in educating yourself, there is just so much you don't know.
Why don't you go and learn something other than the fairytales in the great Catholic book you worship and then come back and see if you are capable of conversing with educated adults.

lol I guess that means you can't never mind ..lol

perhaps you should shorten your user name to bull....lol
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 1:15:10 PM
At 8/1/2015 12:59:39 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Oh dear, I'm always impressed by such childish repartee.
woohoo
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 1:19:33 PM
At 8/1/2015 2:35:47 AM, rj_richards wrote:

Read this;

Deuteronomy 28

Definition of insanity.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein quotes from BrainyQuote.com.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 1:24:18 PM
At 8/1/2015 1:15:10 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/1/2015 12:59:39 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Oh dear, I'm always impressed by such childish repartee.
woohoo

i've watched you post and i reckon childish repartee is about your level...lol
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 1:36:00 PM
At 8/1/2015 1:33:33 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
If a human did the stuff God did, would you call this man good?

Do you think any man could??
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 1:38:53 PM
At 8/1/2015 1:36:00 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/1/2015 1:33:33 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
If a human did the stuff God did, would you call this man good?

Do you think any man could??

If I did the horrible stuff to you, would you call me good?