Jump to topic:

Atheism/Einstein/ "The Grudge"

Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 2:00:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
According to biographer Walter Isaacson, Einstein was more inclined to denigrate atheists than religious people. Einstein said in correspondence, "The fanatical atheists...are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who"in their grudge against the traditional 'opium of the people'"cannot hear the music of the spheres."
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 6:40:44 PM
At 8/1/2015 2:00:08 PM, Sooner wrote:
According to biographer Walter Isaacson, Einstein was more inclined to denigrate atheists than religious people. Einstein said in correspondence, "The fanatical atheists...are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who"in their grudge against the traditional 'opium of the people'"cannot hear the music of the spheres."

citation
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 6:52:55 PM
I'm not in the debate portion of this site. I've told you who spoke, who interviewed. If you're too lazy to type two names and a keyword in, that's your issue. I see no list of debate.org laws or debate.org law enforcement. Debates require sources. I'm in no debate. If you aten't familiar with a term, concept, or interview, google magic my friend. If my posts aren't to your liking, you're a big boy. You know how to not click a thread. You know how to ignore. You also know how to use Google. If the things I post are fun for you, you should enjoy doing a little homework, so research until your heart is content.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 7:15:41 PM
At 8/1/2015 6:52:55 PM, Sooner wrote:
I'm not in the debate portion of this site. I've told you who spoke, who interviewed. If you're too lazy to type two names and a keyword in, that's your issue. I see no list of debate.org laws or debate.org law enforcement. Debates require sources. I'm in no debate. If you aten't familiar with a term, concept, or interview, google magic my friend. If my posts aren't to your liking, you're a big boy. You know how to not click a thread. You know how to ignore. You also know how to use Google. If the things I post are fun for you, you should enjoy doing a little homework, so research until your heart is content.

So, the OP is just spam?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 7:30:20 PM
I don't know if your statement is correct or not.

But ...

https://en.wikipedia.org...

In his Autobiographical Notes, Einstein wrote that he had gradually lost his faith early in childhood:
. . . I came"though the child of entirely irreligious (Jewish) parents"to a deep religiousness, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of twelve. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached the conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true. The consequence was a positively fanatic orgy of freethinking coupled with the impression that youth is intentionally being deceived by the state through lies;

So, what exactly is your point?
Think
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 7:32:14 PM

No one will force you to cite that, but it is common knowledge to provide citation for quotes. That way others can more easily research the topic and discuss it with you.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 4:02:07 AM
It may be true that he said this, but he also said other things about religion. Einstein's true beliefs about religion are hard to pin down. He never claimed to be Christian, nor did he claim that there was a God. Some Christians have tried to take his quotes out of context.
If he did believe in a God he was probably more a Deist than anything. Einstein tried to stay away from religion. He focused on his scientific work. Most of his fellow scientists were agnostic, bordering on atheism. Some of them were probably Deists. It is true that some of them were religious.
Einstein was smart when it came to physics, but he was also smart enough to stay away from religious debates. If what you say is true, it might have been a result of fanatical atheists trying to pin him down on his beliefs, which he didn't want to debate about.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 9:43:41 AM
At 8/1/2015 7:32:14 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:

No one will force you to cite that, but it is common knowledge to provide citation for quotes. That way others can more easily research the topic and discuss it with you.

^^This^^
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 1:52:55 PM
At 8/2/2015 4:02:07 AM, j50wells wrote:
It may be true that he said this, but he also said other things about religion. Einstein's true beliefs about religion are hard to pin down. He never claimed to be Christian, nor did he claim that there was a God. Some Christians have tried to take his quotes out of context.
If he did believe in a God he was probably more a Deist than anything. Einstein tried to stay away from religion. He focused on his scientific work. Most of his fellow scientists were agnostic, bordering on atheism. Some of them were probably Deists. It is true that some of them were religious.
Einstein was smart when it came to physics, but he was also smart enough to stay away from religious debates. If what you say is true, it might have been a result of fanatical atheists trying to pin him down on his beliefs, which he didn't want to debate about.

I had always thought that he was a pantheist.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 2:49:36 PM
I wonder if Isaacson is right to say 'Einstein was more inclined to denigrate atheists than religious people' as the OP says (quoting I think Wikepedia). Only one anti-atheist quote is given but it seems there many more anti-theist ones. And that one quote is clearly a moan about certain 'fanatical' ex-theist atheists, not atheists in general and certainly not a criticism of atheism per se.

It seems there must have been 'fanatical atheists' around even in those days. I wonder who they were.