Jump to topic:

The Christian Fundamentalist "Cult"

Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 8:42:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This Christian site: http://www.patheos.com... labels Christian Fundamentalism as a cult. I can't say I approve of the term, but I found it ironic.

One woman, who calls herself a "Progressive Christian", a term I do approve of, offers the following list of what she calls "The lies Christian fundamentalism taught me." Found here: http://www.patheos.com...

I don't entirely agree with her list, and some of it is taken a bit out of context, but from seven foolish years of painful observation, I can say it is still about 95% accurate.

1) You are worthless.
2) God hates you, unless you love him.
3) Obedience is love.
4) Punishment is love.
5) The Bible is infallible and not to be questioned.
6) The pastor is infallible and not to be questioned.
7) Our interpretation of all Scripture is without error and not to be questioned.
8) Outside the church bubble waits evil.
9) Everyone who is different should be feared.
10) Bad things happen to you because God is trying to teach you a lesson.
11) Bad things happen to you because God let Satan tempt you.
12) Bad things happen to you as a punishment for disobedience.
13) Depression is a sign of sin in your life.
14) To resist what you are taught is to rebel against God.
15) Women have to cover themselves so as not to tempt men.
16) If a man lusts after a woman it"s her fault.
17) Women need to submit to male authority over them.
18) There are many things girls can"t do.
19) Men are more important than women.
20) A woman who is raped must forgive her rapist and not report it to the authorities, in order that the rapist, his family, and the church remain protected from outsiders.
21) Children are to be seen and not heard.
22) Children need to have their will broken through painful "child-training" and punishment.
23) A child who is not hit until he or she screams will not learn.
24) Our church is the only true church; all others churches are filled with Christians who are untrue and destined for hell.
25) Catholics aren"t Christians. They are idol worshippers.
26) You are so full of sin God can"t even look at you.
27) When the Communists take over America and force us to burn all of our Bibles, you"ll need to have memorized it so they can"t take away what is written on your heart.

Atheists already reject all Bible-based religions, so this won't apply to them, but for the rest of you, when Christian Fundamentalists post their lies, know that you have been warned and educated. (This last sentence was tongue in cheek, for those who didn't get it). Not the list of lies though; take that seriously.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 11:15:41 PM
At 8/1/2015 8:42:50 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
Well, I consider myself a Christian fundamentalist. Though I would not say that the 27 things she listed are universal amongst all the flavors of fundamentalism.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 11:30:15 PM
At 8/1/2015 11:15:41 PM, tstor wrote:
Well, I consider myself a Christian fundamentalist. Though I would not say that the 27 things she listed are universal amongst all the flavors of fundamentalism.

What specific parts of this list do you take issue with, and why?
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:06:22 AM
At 8/1/2015 11:30:15 PM, joetheripper117 wrote:

I will address each point individually:
1) You are worthless.
I do not believe that anyone is worthless.

I do not believe that God hates anyone. The love is not conditional from our Heavenly Father. To put it plainly, you could slap Him and get a blessing in return. Jesus showed us the true nature of our Father. I can address my point with the OT (Hebrew) if you wish.

3) Obedience is love.
Loving God does not mean we follow the rules. Jesus showed us this when he gave us several parables. One of which is the parable of the two lost sons, or prodigal son. The father's love was not conditional to either son. Rather than making his returning son a payed servant (as the law at that time would justify), he accepted him back and gave the son a signet ring to show that he had right to the rest of the fortune. He did not make his son become a servant and he did not obey the laws at that time.

4) Punishment is love.
I am not entirely sure what this means. I do not punish people at age seventeen. If I had a kid in the future, then I might punish them (assuming they deserve it), but it would have no relevance to God.

I believe the Bible is infallible. Though if someone does not, then that is their choice. It is also their choice whether they want to question it or not.

I do not believe that any person on this earth today is infallible. Simple as that.

7) Our interpretation of all Scripture is without error and not to be questioned.
I question my interpretations on a daily basis. I would not have come to all the current interpretations I have today if I simply went with the first ones. It is good to keep an open mind and examine one's faith regularly.

I believe that there are good people who are not Christians. So not all of the secular things in this world are evil.

I have many friends of different faiths (or lack of). I am friends with atheists, Catholics, Baptists, agnostics, Muslims, Hindus, etc. I do not fear people based on their faith.

This is just silly. God does not have His hands in everything. God does not inject people with cancer, He does not create car accidents, etc. We know that Satan is the ruler of this world (2 Corinthians 4:4) and we know that we have free will.

God does indeed let Satan tempt people. Well, in the sense that both us and Satan have free will. Though God has also given us guidance through the Bible to avoid Satan's temptation.

Like I said, obeying the law is not the most important thing.

I would say that modern medicine and science has done a fairly good job at defining depression. It has nothing to do with sin.

Taking things with a grain of salt or disagreeing is not rebelling against God inherently.

Women do not have to do anything. I would personally find it appropriate for women to dress more conservatively, especially in a place like church. However, no one can force them.

It is not her fault inherently. If a naked woman jumps out in front of man, then it is indeed her fault for making him lust.

Women do not have to do anything. If a woman wants to be more dependent, then that is no more acceptable than a woman who prefers to be independent.

Well yeah, there are. Women can't advance very high in the Catholic Church for example. There are also things men can't do, such as become a model for Victoria's Secret.

Historically speaking men have been. Though in a western country such as the US it is not really an issue. Men do hold more positions of power and wealth than women on average, but that does not mean that women are prevented from getting those positions.

20) A woman who is raped must forgive her rapist and not report it to the authorities, in order that the rapist, his family, and the church remain protected from outsiders.
What? If a woman is raped, she has every right to report the rape.

I believe that comes to parental preference.

22) Children need to have their will broken through painful "child-training" and punishment.
I don't think any Christian fundamentalist actually says that. If I ever have a kid in the future, I would teach them my faith. I would not force them to accept it, but for me to not teach them what I find to be true would be bad parenting.

I can't really comment on this in all honesty. I don't think that this applies to about 95% of Christian fundamentalists.

24) Our church is the only true church; all others churches are filled with Christians who are untrue and destined for hell.
I don't attend any one particular church. So I naturally disagree. While I feel like some have a more accurate understanding, I would not say that others who vary are "destined for hell". In fact, only Jesus can judge the sheep and the goats.

I found this a bit amusing. I am completely against the Intercession of the Saints idea, but I would not say Catholics are not Christian. Anyone who follows the Bible and the teachings of Christ is technically a Christian.

We are full of sin, but God can look at us.

27) When the Communists take over America and force us to burn all of our Bibles, you"ll need to have memorized it so they can"t take away what is written on your heart.
This is a strangely specific attribute for Christian fundamentalists. Perhaps the author is actually quoting someone here. I do not get involved one bit with politics, so even if communists took over I would not care. If they burned all Bibles, it would not really matter to me individually. I leave home without my Bible daily, it is not some kind of passport into God's heart.

Overall I would conclude that most of these things in no way pertain to literal Christian fundamentalism. You can read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org...
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
firewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:25:10 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:06:22 AM, tstor wrote:

1) You are worthless.

I do not believe that God hates anyone. The love is not conditional from our Heavenly Father. To put it plainly, you could slap Him and get a blessing in return. Jesus showed us the true nature of our Father. I can address my point with the OT (Hebrew) if you wish.

3) Obedience is love.
Loving God does not mean we follow the rules. Jesus showed us this when he gave us several parables. One of which is the parable of the two lost sons, or prodigal son. The father's love was not conditional to either son. Rather than making his returning son a payed servant (as the law at that time would justify), he accepted him back and gave the son a signet ring to show that he had right to the rest of the fortune. He did not make his son become a servant and he did not obey the laws at that time.

4) Punishment is love.
I am not entirely sure what this means. I do not punish people at age seventeen. If I had a kid in the future, then I might punish them (assuming they deserve it), but it would have no relevance to God.

I believe the Bible is infallible. Though if someone does not, then that is their choice. It is also their choice whether they want to question it or not.

I do not believe that any person on this earth today is infallible. Simple as that.

I question my interpretations on a daily basis. I would not have come to all the current interpretations I have today if I simply went with the first ones. It is good to keep an open mind and examine one's faith regularly.

I believe that there are good people who are not Christians. So not all of the secular things in this world are evil.

I have many friends of different faiths (or lack of). I am friends with atheists, Catholics, Baptists, agnostics, Muslims, Hindus, etc. I do not fear people based on their faith.

This is just silly. God does not have His hands in everything. God does not inject people with cancer, He does not create car accidents, etc. We know that Satan is the ruler of this world (2 Corinthians 4:4) and we know that we have free will. : :

All liars will perish;

Deuteronomy 28
61: Every sickness also, and every affliction which is not recorded in the book of this law, the LORD will bring upon you, until you are destroyed.
62: Whereas you were as the stars of heaven for multitude, you shall be left few in number; because you did not obey the voice of the LORD your God.
63: And as the LORD took delight in doing you good and multiplying you, so the LORD will take delight in bringing ruin upon you and destroying you; and you shall be plucked off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.

Amos 4
6: "I gave you cleanness of teeth in all your cities, and lack of bread in all your places, yet you did not return to me," says the LORD.
7: "And I also withheld the rain from you when there were yet three months to the harvest; I would send rain upon one city, and send no rain upon another city; one field would be rained upon, and the field on which it did not rain withered;
8: so two or three cities wandered to one city to drink water, and were not satisfied; yet you did not return to me," says the LORD.
9: "I smote you with blight and mildew; I laid waste your gardens and your vineyards; your fig trees and your olive trees the locust devoured; yet you did not return to me," says the LORD.
10: "I sent among you a pestilence after the manner of Egypt; I slew your young men with the sword; I carried away your horses; and I made the stench of your camp go up into your nostrils; yet you did not return to me," says the LORD.
11: "I overthrew some of you, as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomor'rah, and you were as a brand plucked out of the burning; yet you did not return to me," says the LORD.
12: "Therefore thus I will do to you, O Israel; because I will do this to you, prepare to meet your God, O Israel!"
13: For lo, he who forms the mountains, and creates the wind, and declares to man what is his thought; who makes the morning darkness, and treads on the heights of the earth -- the LORD, the God of hosts, is his name!

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
16: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
17: Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on account of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:41:23 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:25:10 AM, firewalker wrote:

All liars will perish;

Deuteronomy 28
61: Every sickness also, and every affliction which is not recorded in the book of this law, the LORD will bring upon you, until you are destroyed.
62: Whereas you were as the stars of heaven for multitude, you shall be left few in number; because you did not obey the voice of the LORD your God.
63: And as the LORD took delight in doing you good and multiplying you, so the LORD will take delight in bringing ruin upon you and destroying you; and you shall be plucked off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.

Amos 4
6: "I gave you cleanness of teeth in all your cities, and lack of bread in all your places, yet you did not return to me," says the LORD.
7: "And I also withheld the rain from you when there were yet three months to the harvest; I would send rain upon one city, and send no rain upon another city; one field would be rained upon, and the field on which it did not rain withered;
8: so two or three cities wandered to one city to drink water, and were not satisfied; yet you did not return to me," says the LORD.
9: "I smote you with blight and mildew; I laid waste your gardens and your vineyards; your fig trees and your olive trees the locust devoured; yet you did not return to me," says the LORD.
10: "I sent among you a pestilence after the manner of Egypt; I slew your young men with the sword; I carried away your horses; and I made the stench of your camp go up into your nostrils; yet you did not return to me," says the LORD.
11: "I overthrew some of you, as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomor'rah, and you were as a brand plucked out of the burning; yet you did not return to me," says the LORD.
12: "Therefore thus I will do to you, O Israel; because I will do this to you, prepare to meet your God, O Israel!"
13: For lo, he who forms the mountains, and creates the wind, and declares to man what is his thought; who makes the morning darkness, and treads on the heights of the earth -- the LORD, the God of hosts, is his name!

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on account of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.
I am going to respond to this as if you were asking me to explain these verses in light of what I said.

First we have to be aware the blindly citing the OT (Hebrew) scriptures is not always the best idea. Mainly because there are some conflicting views from Laws of the old vs Laws of the new covenant. Does that mean we throw out the old Laws? No, some of them still apply to us, but only those that are in harmony with the Laws of the new covenant. We know through Jesus that those who sin (which includes lying) are not immediately destined to hell (sheol). We know that we can attain salvation through the ransom of Christ. Only those who are repentant can be forgiven for sin, according to scripture. Although it is ultimately up to Christ to judge between the sheep and the goats, not any of us.
firewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:51:34 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:41:23 AM, tstor wrote:
At 8/2/2015 12:25:10 AM, firewalker wrote:

All liars will perish;

Deuteronomy 28

Amos 4

Deuteronomy 28
I am going to respond to this as if you were asking me to explain these verses in light of what I said.

First we have to be aware the blindly citing the OT (Hebrew) scriptures is not always the best idea. Mainly because there are some conflicting views from Laws of the old vs Laws of the new covenant. Does that mean we throw out the old Laws? No, some of them still apply to us, but only those that are in harmony with the Laws of the new covenant. We know through Jesus that those who sin (which includes lying) are not immediately destined to hell (sheol). We know that we can attain salvation through the ransom of Christ. Only those who are repentant can be forgiven for sin, according to scripture. Although it is ultimately up to Christ to judge between the sheep and the goats, not any of us. : :

Jesus listened to the voice of the Lord and obeyed his commandments. By listening to his Father's voice, he attained all the knowledge required by God before he preached the gospel to find God's disciples ( believers ). All God's servants who came after Jesus such as Peter, Timothy, Paul, etc. listened to the same voice of God and attained the same knowledge, but even more than what was revealed to Jesus.

John 14
12: "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father.

All those servants who came after jesus listened to the voice of God and were anointed with the knowledge of God before they preached the gospel for Him.

1 John 2
27: but the anointing which you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that any one should teach you; as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie, just as it has taught you, abide in him. ::

Those who don't get anointed or chosen as believers to listen to the gospel, which is the voice of the Lord heard through God's servants, will not learn about eternal life. Their flesh will perish without knowing the future.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:54:39 AM

1) You are worthless.

3) Obedience is love.

4) Punishment is love.

This is just silly. God does not have His hands in everything. God does not inject people with cancer, He does not create car accidents, etc. We know that Satan is the ruler of this world (2 Corinthians 4:4) and we know that we have free will.

God does indeed let Satan tempt people. Well, in the sense that both us and Satan have free will. Though God has also given us guidance through the Bible to avoid Satan's temptation.

I would say that modern medicine and science has done a fairly good job at defining depression. It has nothing to do with sin.

Taking things with a grain of salt or disagreeing is not rebelling against God inherently.

Women do not have to do anything. I would personally find it appropriate for women to dress more conservatively, especially in a place like church. However, no one can force them.

It is not her fault inherently. If a naked woman jumps out in front of man, then it is indeed her fault for making him lust.

Women do not have to do anything. If a woman wants to be more dependent, then that is no more acceptable than a woman who prefers to be independent.

Well yeah, there are. Women can't advance very high in the Catholic Church for example. There are also things men can't do, such as become a model for Victoria's Secret.

Historically speaking men have been. Though in a western country such as the US it is not really an issue. Men do hold more positions of power and wealth than women on average, but that does not mean that women are prevented from getting those positions.

I don't think any Christian fundamentalist actually says that. If I ever have a kid in the future, I would teach them my faith. I would not force them to accept it, but for me to not teach them what I find to be true would be bad parenting.

I can't really comment on this in all honesty. I don't think that this applies to about 95% of Christian fundamentalists.

I don't attend any one particular church. So I naturally disagree. While I feel like some have a more accurate understanding, I would not say that others who vary are "destined for hell". In fact, only Jesus can judge the sheep and the goats.

I found this a bit amusing. I am completely against the Intercession of the Saints idea, but I would not say Catholics are not Christian. Anyone who follows the Bible and the teachings of Christ is technically a Christian.

This is a strangely specific attribute for Christian fundamentalists. Perhaps the author is actually quoting someone here. I do not get involved one bit with politics, so even if communists took over I would not care. If they burned all Bibles, it would not really matter to me individually. I leave home without my Bible daily, it is not some kind of passport into God's heart.

Overall I would conclude that most of these things in no way pertain to literal Christian fundamentalism. You can read about it here:

First, you do realize that firewalker is Brad, better known as BornOfGod, right?

Second, I agree that this list does not represent all fundamentalists. It is a bit exaggerated. But the woman who created it was mistreated by fundamentalists, as have been many others, myself included, so exaggeration is understandable.

Third, you may consider yourself a fundamentalist Christian, but you do not entirely have the attitude of one.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:56:57 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:54:39 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

First, you do realize that firewalker is Brad, better known as BornOfGod, right?
No I didn't, thanks for informing me.

Second, I agree that this list does not represent all fundamentalists. It is a bit exaggerated. But the woman who created it was mistreated by fundamentalists, as have been many others, myself included, so exaggeration is understandable.
I understand that there are irrational fundamentalists, I have met several.

Third, you may consider yourself a fundamentalist Christian, but you do not entirely have the attitude of one.
There is not really any attitude that is officially associate with Christian fundamentalism.
firewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 1:08:06 AM

1) You are worthless.

3) Obedience is love.

4) Punishment is love.

Antichrists worked hard to keep God's disciples from listening to the gospel 2,000 years ago, too.

annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 1:15:47 AM

Yep, that's who it is - back for like the twentieth time.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
LostintheEcho1498
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 1:31:10 AM
This Christian site: http://www.patheos.com... labels Christian Fundamentalism as a cult. I can't say I approve of the term, but I found it ironic.

One woman, who calls herself a "Progressive Christian", a term I do approve of, offers the following list of what she calls "The lies Christian fundamentalism taught me." Found here: http://www.patheos.com...

I don't entirely agree with her list, and some of it is taken a bit out of context, but from seven foolish years of painful observation, I can say it is still about 95% accurate.

1) You are worthless.
3) Obedience is love.
4) Punishment is love.

Atheists already reject all Bible-based religions, so this won't apply to them, but for the rest of you, when Christian Fundamentalists post their lies, know that you have been warned and educated. (This last sentence was tongue in cheek, for those who didn't get it). Not the list of lies though; take that seriously.

Yeah, this just seems like an attempt to be offensive. I have nothing good to say.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 4:14:16 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:56:57 AM, tstor wrote:

No I didn't, thanks for informing me.

I understand that there are irrational fundamentalists, I have met several.

There is not really any attitude that is officially associate with Christian fundamentalism.

That is mostly true. I have some very dear friends who are fundamentalists who do not shun me, though they do occasionally express concern for my soul. There is nevertheless a large percentage of fundamentalists who very much resemble/support that list. There are two churches in my area alone where the attitudes are quite severe. I visit a number of religious/anti-religious forums, and the attitude is very apparent among the posters who can hide behind their monitors.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 4:19:51 AM
At 8/2/2015 1:31:10 AM, LostintheEcho1498 wrote:

1) You are worthless.
3) Obedience is love.
4) Punishment is love.

Yeah, this just seems like an attempt to be offensive. I have nothing good to say.

You're a noble man. Some offense is intended, but not nearly so much as defense of another argument. Yes, I'm exercising hypocrisy, but counting it as a necessary evil. I'll repent later.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 4:49:34 AM

1) You are worthless.

Literally the polar opposite of the Biblical view on human beings.

Also incorrect. A just God must punish those who refuse salvation, but that is not indicative of hatred; the Bible says that while we were still sinners God loved us.

3) Obedience is love.
4) Punishment is love.

The Bible's message is not wrong. It was divinely inspired by God. However, it was written by human beings. For instance, "and the sun stood still". That was clearly written from a human perspective.

False.

Depends on what "our interpretation of scripture" is. There are some absolute interpretations, such as the Trinity, that Jesus is the only way to Salvation, that marriage is between a man and a woman for life, etc.

There is evil within the church and there is good outside the church, because all human beings are generally capable of both good and evil. That being said, one's environment affects them, and the ideal environment is a place where human beings try to live their lives for God.

Not feared. However, "environment" explains it. A secular environment where stuff like pre-marital sex is commonplace has an effect on people.

Bad things happen because we live in a corrupted world, though God can use bad stuff to teach us.

This corrupted world and human nature is temptation enough. Satan is not needed, though demonic activity might sometimes play a part in it.

Sometimes that is the case.

Sometimes, perhaps. But generally it's because you're depressed.

Depends on what you're resisting. Is it Christianity in general? Is it the Biblical standard of morality? Is it absolute Biblical principles?

They shouldn't go around with burqas if that's what you mean but they should be mindful that men may be tempted by their appearances and that they should abstain from dressing in a way that could reasonably be expected to cause sinful desires. What should be expected of them is to not dress promiscuously.

The man was the one who lusted. However, it was the woman whose body caused him to lust, that and his own sinful nature. Of course, if she's wearing a burqa or something and he lusts anyway, then I don't think that's really her fault in any way.

Applies to married couples only. It does not denote superiority but rather a different role.

True.

Not a Biblical teaching.

Ridiculous.

Not necessarily. They simply need to obey and respect their parents. That's what the Bible expects of them.

Disobedience should generally be punished, though the demands of their parents should be fairly reasonable and the type of punishment isn't important.

Nothing wrong with a spanking.

Nothing wrong with considering certain groups to hold on to heretical beliefs, especially if it's true.

lol

We are separated from God's presence by sin. I don't know if that goes as far as "God can't look at you", but God knows everything about you even if you're sinful.

Fear of communism is a byproduct of the Cold War, but it is a good idea to have the Bible memorized in case it is eventually outlawed.

Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 5:19:40 AM
At 8/2/2015 4:14:16 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

That is mostly true. I have some very dear friends who are fundamentalists who do not shun me, though they do occasionally express concern for my soul. There is nevertheless a large percentage of fundamentalists who very much resemble/support that list. There are two churches in my area alone where the attitudes are quite severe. I visit a number of religious/anti-religious forums, and the attitude is very apparent among the posters who can hide behind their monitors.
Fair enough, I guess they just didn't follow the teachings of Christ (Mark 12:31)
LostintheEcho1498
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 8:29:06 AM
At 8/2/2015 4:19:51 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 8/2/2015 1:31:10 AM, LostintheEcho1498 wrote:

1) You are worthless.
3) Obedience is love.
4) Punishment is love.

You're a noble man. Some offense is intended, but not nearly so much as defense of another argument. Yes, I'm exercising hypocrisy, but counting it as a necessary evil. I'll repent later.

I mean this in the most honest way possible when I say this. That kind of attitude will only make your life and the lives of those around you harder. The phrase "necessary evil" is only an excuse used to attempt to reflect responsibility in the facade of helping humanity. Just as a cut in, the phrase "necessary evil" is a misnomer when considering the idea of doing a better thing at a price compared to a good thing for a worse price. It is not evil when the choice that must be made is made in good conscience with the best intentions at heart. I think "sacrifice" may best be used to replace "evil". Evil is connotative for bad intentions, therefore a poor word choice. Anyway, tangent. Hitler believed the Holocaust a necessary evil(which is used correctly considering the action was, in fact, evil and only evil), as have most who commit mass genocide. By no means do I compare you to such people, but ask you keep this in mind. Exercising hypocrisy will never get you anywhere you want to go, especially when in the sake of evil, even if considered necessary. If there is something you wish to combat, in this case a sect of Christianity with radical ideals against certain human rights, you do so with trepidation and carefulness. Otherwise, credibility is instantly lost in the name of blind anger or hate. Just food for thought.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 8:37:23 AM

1) You are worthless.
3) Obedience is love.
4) Punishment is love.

wow where did she go??

never heard the majority of those things taught.....
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 8:38:47 AM

1) You are worthless.
3) Obedience is love.
4) Punishment is love.

does it actually say where she got that rubish??
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 4:35:41 PM
At 8/2/2015 8:29:06 AM, LostintheEcho1498 wrote:

I mean this in the most honest way possible when I say this. That kind of attitude will only make your life and the lives of those around you harder. The phrase "necessary evil" is only an excuse used to attempt to reflect responsibility in the facade of helping humanity. Just as a cut in, the phrase "necessary evil" is a misnomer when considering the idea of doing a better thing at a price compared to a good thing for a worse price. It is not evil when the choice that must be made is made in good conscience with the best intentions at heart. I think "sacrifice" may best be used to replace "evil". Evil is connotative for bad intentions, therefore a poor word choice. Anyway, tangent. Hitler believed the Holocaust a necessary evil(which is used correctly considering the action was, in fact, evil and only evil), as have most who commit mass genocide. By no means do I compare you to such people, but ask you keep this in mind. Exercising hypocrisy will never get you anywhere you want to go, especially when in the sake of evil, even if considered necessary. If there is something you wish to combat, in this case a sect of Christianity with radical ideals against certain human rights, you do so with trepidation and carefulness. Otherwise, credibility is instantly lost in the name of blind anger or hate. Just food for thought.

"Necessary evil" was written tongue in cheek. I really need to get better at that. Still, war is evil, as is taking life, and yet commandments have been given to go to war or to take life as a means to a necessary righteous end. Sometimes, when people defend themselves, they must do so wielding a weapon.

I sought for a particular response to this topic. I got it (not from you, though yours was a good one). A particular member now has neon lights advertizing the beams lodged in his own eyes, and it very unlikely that anyone who can see will give further credence to someone who is so obviously blind when he speaks against other religions.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 4:44:39 PM
At 8/2/2015 8:38:47 AM, graceofgod wrote:

1) You are worthless.
3) Obedience is love.
4) Punishment is love.

Matthew 23:26
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 4:46:17 PM
At 8/2/2015 8:37:23 AM, graceofgod wrote:

1) You are worthless.
3) Obedience is love.
4) Punishment is love.

wow where did she go??

never heard the majority of those things taught.....

Oh your 42,000 religions teach that tripe, they just add truck fulls of sugar to help the medicine go down.
You'll never understand, your mind wears a galaxy wide neon sign saying ************KEEP OUT************
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 5:19:31 PM
I was struck by how well that list describes the commonly-held view of fundamentalist Islam. Can it be that fundamentalists of all stripes are more similar to each other than they are to their own moderates?
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 5:48:16 PM
At 8/2/2015 5:19:31 PM, kp98 wrote:
I was struck by how well that list describes the commonly-held view of fundamentalist Islam. Can it be that fundamentalists of all stripes are more similar to each other than they are to their own moderates?

I would add the word "fanatic" to fundamentalist, but yes.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 7:12:02 PM
At 8/2/2015 4:44:39 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

1) You are worthless.
3) Obedience is love.
4) Punishment is love.

I meant at what fellowship or church...
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 7:47:34 PM
At 8/2/2015 7:12:02 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/2/2015 4:44:39 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

1) You are worthless.
3) Obedience is love.
4) Punishment is love.

I meant at what fellowship or church...

"lol"
--graceofgod
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 9:24:46 PM

1) You are worthless.
3) Obedience is love.
4) Punishment is love.

I would claim that of the 27 alleged "opinions of Christian Fundamentalists" you poted, the following could easily be argued for as being unfair and not always true.......

1, 2, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 19, 20 (WTF?), 21,25, 26, and 27. I am NOT a fundamentalist, but you are just plain wrong on some of those. Feel free to pick any of the points I named as being "not always true" or "just plain wrong" and ask me and Ill be happy to explain. God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 10:38:10 PM
At 8/2/2015 9:24:46 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

1) You are worthless.
3) Obedience is love.
4) Punishment is love.

I would claim that of the 27 alleged "opinions of Christian Fundamentalists" you poted, the following could easily be argued for as being unfair and not always true.......

1, 2, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 19, 20 (WTF?), 21,25, 26, and 27. I am NOT a fundamentalist, but you are just plain wrong on some of those. Feel free to pick any of the points I named as being "not always true" or "just plain wrong" and ask me and Ill be happy to explain. God Bless.

It is not my list, and I stated that I didn't entirely agree with it. As for being unfair and not always true, shouldn't be that be said for all the reasons listed of other religions being a cult?
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 11:15:23 PM
At 8/2/2015 10:38:10 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

1) You are worthless.
3) Obedience is love.
4) Punishment is love.

It is not my list, and I stated that I didn't entirely agree with it. As for being unfair and not always true, shouldn't be that be said for all the reasons listed of other religions being a cult?

I would seriously like to know which church she allegedly joined, as I have never heard half the crap quoted being taught...
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 11:23:00 PM
At 8/2/2015 11:15:23 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/2/2015 10:38:10 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

1) You are worthless.
3) Obedience is love.
4) Punishment is love.

I would seriously like to know which church she allegedly joined, as I have never heard half the crap quoted being taught...

I never heard of half the "crap" you listed either. But you still listed it. Difference being, she says she was there to experience it first hand. Your information was all second hand.