Jump to topic:

Man's flesh or spirit.

bobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 3:01:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Which part of man do you think is saved; flesh or spirit?

Genesis 6
3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

12 And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.
13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Ecclesiastes 3
19 For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.
20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?
22 Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works; for that is his portion: for who shall bring him to see what shall be after him?

Galations 5
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

1 Corinthians 5
1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.
3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Isaiah 40
6 The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field:
7 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the LORD bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass.
8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.

John 12
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 3:19:34 PM
At 8/2/2015 3:01:04 PM, bobar wrote:

Sorry, but spirit is not a defined word, it is meaningless, hence so is the question.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 4:17:31 PM
At 8/2/2015 3:19:34 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Sorry, but spirit is not a defined word, it is meaningless, hence so is the question.

Bog is though.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 7:46:18 PM

For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are like God's angels in heaven. But concerning the resurrection of the dead, haven't you read that which was spoken to you by God, saying, 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?' God is not the God of the dead, but of the living."
Matt. 22:30-32

Now I say this, brothers, that flesh and blood can't inherit the Kingdom of God; neither does corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I tell you a mystery. We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. But when this corruptible will have put on incorruption, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then what is written will happen: "Death is swallowed up in victory."
1 Cor. 15:50-54

On basis of those I think the Biblical answer is that flesh is not going to be saved.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 9:21:23 PM
Just to add something that might give something to ponder.

The Hebrew word that commonly gets translated into the word "spirit" also means, "breath" or "wind".

Think about how this might expand or effect your interpretation of the concept.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 10:53:16 PM
What do you mean by "saved"? The part that survives death?

According to the law of conservation of matter, flesh must be saved. Spirit, I don't know, if a spirit is a synonim of consciousness, then it dies the very moment the brain stops working, hence not saved.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 1:55:16 AM

I thought atheists were supposed to be smarter than us and use logic and sources for their arguments? Oh...speaking of source. Here, my angry friend. From the dictionary...

spir"it

noun
noun: spirit; plural noun: spirits

the nonphysical part of a person that is the seat of emotions and character; the soul.
"we seek a harmony between body and spirit"
synonyms:soul, psyche, (inner) self, inner being, inner man/woman, mind, ego, id;

pneuma
"harmony between body and spirit"
antonyms:body, flesh
the nonphysical part of a person regarded as a person's true self and as capable of surviving physical death or separation.
"a year after he left, his spirit is still present"
the nonphysical part of a person manifested as an apparition after their death; a ghost.

synonyms:ghost, presence;
informalspook
"a spirit haunts the island"
a supernatural being.
"shrines to nature spirits"
short for Holy Spirit.
noun: Spirit; noun: the Spirit
archaic
a highly refined substance or fluid thought to govern vital phenomena.
those qualities regarded as forming the definitive or typical elements in the character of a person, nation, or group or in the thought and attitudes of a particular period.
"the university is a symbol of the nation's egalitarian spirit"
synonyms:ethos, prevailing tendency, motivating force, essence, quintessence;

So now that I proved you wrong on that allow me to further teach you a bit. It's what God wants me to do, my angry friend. Our Spirit is basically our Soul. When we die if we are a fortunate and pre-destined part of God's Elect, our Spirit goes on to Heaven. Or what I call and what God told me in a Dream, the Next Level. The body of course is not important no longer so it just dies.
ironically, Evil people sometimes have their Spirits continued too! But not in a good way, they are subject to eternal emotional torture. Not a literal Hell with Fire but its a thing where they retain conciousness so they can relive and replay all their past Evil Deeds.
Please let me Save you from this!! Can I pray for you? Remember my bet?
God Bless you my Angry Friend!!
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 1:57:52 AM
At 8/2/2015 9:21:23 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

The Hebrew word that commonly gets translated into the word "spirit" also means, "breath" or "wind".

I dont like that interpretation since it implies the physical. like part of our pulmonary system. it implies the temporary, when our True Spirit or Soul can be forever if God elects is. The interpretation you gave even though its interesting, well I dont think its strong enough of a word. too limited. God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 3:06:37 AM
At 8/3/2015 1:55:16 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

I thought atheists were supposed to be smarter than us and use logic and sources for their arguments? Oh...speaking of source. Here, my angry friend. From the dictionary...

spir"it

noun

the nonphysical part of a person that is the seat of emotions and character; the soul.
synonyms:soul, psyche, (inner) self, inner being, inner man/woman, mind, ego, id;

pneuma
the nonphysical part of a person regarded as a person's true self and as capable of surviving physical death or separation.
the nonphysical part of a person manifested as an apparition after their death; a ghost.

informalspook
a supernatural being.
short for Holy Spirit.
archaic
those qualities regarded as forming the definitive or typical elements in the character of a person, nation, or group or in the thought and attitudes of a particular period.

So now that I proved you wrong on that allow me to further teach you a bit. It's what God wants me to do, my angry friend. Our Spirit is basically our Soul. When we die if we are a fortunate and pre-destined part of God's Elect, our Spirit goes on to Heaven. Or what I call and what God told me in a Dream, the Next Level. The body of course is not important no longer so it just dies.
ironically, Evil people sometimes have their Spirits continued too! But not in a good way, they are subject to eternal emotional torture. Not a literal Hell with Fire but its a thing where they retain conciousness so they can relive and replay all their past Evil Deeds.
God Bless you my Angry Friend!!

I tend to make a distinction that 'spirit' is like a power source. And soul is the consciousness of our minds.

For instance you can have a spirit for healing, and your soul has grown up to be a doctor.

But I could be wrong
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 3:31:40 AM
At 8/3/2015 1:57:52 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

I dont like that interpretation since it implies the physical. like part of our pulmonary system. it implies the temporary, when our True Spirit or Soul can be forever if God elects is. The interpretation you gave even though its interesting, well I dont think its strong enough of a word. too limited. God Bless.

The part of you that is eternal is what is flowing. Chaotic, like the wind, swirling through everything. It is the breathe that gives us life, the spirit of reality, how things truly are. The part of you that is eternal is what came before you, and will go on after you. It was always, and will always be.

Don't think of these as being limitations, think of them as ways of adding depth to the concept.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
bobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 4:08:09 AM

Think about how this might expand or effect your interpretation of the concept. : :

Genesis 2
7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
bobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 4:17:20 AM
At 8/3/2015 1:57:52 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

I dont like that interpretation since it implies the physical. like part of our pulmonary system. it implies the temporary, when our True Spirit or Soul can be forever if God elects is. The interpretation you gave even though its interesting, well I dont think its strong enough of a word. too limited. God Bless. : :

The breath of life is the spirit of God, not the breath of air that humans suck into their lungs.
bobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 4:22:08 AM
At 8/3/2015 1:55:16 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

spir"it

noun

pneuma

informalspook
a supernatural being.
short for Holy Spirit.
archaic

God Bless you my Angry Friend!! : :

Atheists can read a dictionary but those born of God know what the breath of life means in this verse;

Genesis 2
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

It surely doesn't mean a breath of air.

John 6
63: It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 4:36:57 AM
At 8/3/2015 4:08:09 AM, bobar wrote:

Think about how this might expand or effect your interpretation of the concept. : :

Genesis 2
7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

MORON ALERT
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 4:39:12 AM
At 8/3/2015 4:36:57 AM, annanicole wrote:

Genesis 2

MORON ALERT : :

The MORON is the one who doesn't understand the difference between the flesh and the spirit ( breath of life ).
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 4:44:16 AM
At 8/3/2015 4:39:12 AM, bobar wrote:

Genesis 2

The MORON is the one who doesn't understand the difference between the flesh and the spirit ( breath of life ).

Au contraire. The moron is the one who keeps coming back, sorta like a toothache - or herpes sores.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 4:51:11 AM
At 8/3/2015 4:44:16 AM, annanicole wrote:

Genesis 2

Au contraire. The moron is the one who keeps coming back, sorta like a toothache - or herpes sores. : :

You don't understand the difference between the flesh and the spirit, do you Anna? No matter how many scriptures about it I share with you, you still don't get understand it. That's because of the veil that has blinded all God's people from their true created existence except his saints and some believers who listen to our gospel.

God has promised to remove this veil from all His people once He has destroyed all flesh on this earth with the earth.

Isaiah 25
6: On this mountain the LORD of hosts will make for all peoples a feast of fat things, a feast of wine on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wine on the lees well refined.
7: And he will destroy on this mountain the covering that is cast over all peoples, the veil that is spread over all nations.
8: He will swallow up death for ever, and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from all faces, and the reproach of his people he will take away from all the earth; for the LORD has spoken.
9: It will be said on that day, "Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, that he might save us. This is the LORD; we have waited for him; let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 4:55:37 AM
At 8/3/2015 4:51:11 AM, bobar wrote:

Genesis 2

Au contraire. The moron is the one who keeps coming back, sorta like a toothache - or herpes sores. : :

You don't understand the difference between the flesh and the spirit, do you Anna?

I haven't said a word about "flesh" and "spirit", so actually you wouldn't know whether I "understand" it or not.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 4:59:01 AM
At 8/3/2015 4:55:37 AM, annanicole wrote:

Genesis 2

You don't understand the difference between the flesh and the spirit, do you Anna?

I haven't said a word about "flesh" and "spirit", so actually you wouldn't know whether I "understand" it or not.

Annie only operates on spirit animals with spirit scalpels, ain't that right Annie. Humour him, after all, he was murdered in January. LOL
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 5:05:33 AM
At 8/3/2015 4:59:01 AM, bulproof wrote:

Genesis 2

Annie only operates on spirit animals with spirit scalpels, ain't that right Annie. Humour him, after all, he was murdered in January. LOL

That's right, and neutering the males removes most of their spirit. However, God castrated Saint Brad (according to Saint Brad). Hence, the only spirits he's left with is Jack Daniels or George Dickel.
bobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 5:07:06 AM

Genesis 2

I haven't said a word about "flesh" and "spirit", so actually you wouldn't know whether I "understand" it or not. : :

I've been trying to teach you this since I came into this forum two years ago. You still don't understand that the spirit of God is where God's people were born before any of His created people woke up in a flesh that has deceived them from knowing where they were actually born. The flesh was formed from the dust of the earth and will go back to the dust of the earth when it perishes. The spirit of man remains in the spirit of God for eternity and will get new flesh in the New Heaven and Earth.

Ezekiel 37:
1: The hand of the LORD was upon me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley; it was full of bones.
2: And he led me round among them; and behold, there were very many upon the valley; and lo, they were very dry.
3: And he said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" And I answered, "O Lord GOD, thou knowest."
4: Again he said to me, "Prophesy to these bones, and say to them, O dry bones, hear the word of the LORD.
5: Thus says the Lord GOD to these bones: Behold, I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live.
6: And I will lay sinews upon you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the LORD."
7: So I prophesied as I was commanded; and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold, a rattling; and the bones came together, bone to its bone.
8: And as I looked, there were sinews on them, and flesh had come upon them, and skin had covered them; but there was no breath in them.
9: Then he said to me, "Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, Thus says the Lord GOD: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live."
10: So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood upon their feet, an exceedingly great host.
11: Then he said to me, "Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. Behold, they say, `Our bones are dried up, and our hope is lost; we are clean cut off.'
12: Therefore prophesy, and say to them, Thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I will open your graves, and raise you from your graves, O my people; and I will bring you home into the land of Israel.
13: And you shall know that I am the LORD, when I open your graves, and raise you from your graves, O my people.
14: And I will put my Spirit within you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land; then you shall know that I, the LORD, have spoken, and I have done it, says the LORD."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 5:09:30 AM
At 8/3/2015 5:07:06 AM, bobar wrote:

Genesis 2

I haven't said a word about "flesh" and "spirit", so actually you wouldn't know whether I "understand" it or not. : :

I've been trying to teach you this since I came into this forum two years ago.

Instead, you taught me that you'd be killed off in January, 2015.
bobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 5:12:01 AM
At 8/3/2015 5:09:30 AM, annanicole wrote:

Genesis 2

Instead, you taught me that you'd be killed off in January, 2015. : :

One error of the flesh has kept you from listening to the voice of the Lord who is the only teacher that exists. You have shunned His voice and now you don't believe Him.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 6:42:51 AM
At 8/3/2015 5:12:01 AM, bobar wrote:

Genesis 2

One error of the flesh has kept you from listening to the voice of the Lord who is the only teacher that exists. You have shunned His voice and now you don't believe Him.

I didn't believe your nonsense long before you trapped yourself in your lies.
bobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 6:53:23 AM
At 8/3/2015 6:42:51 AM, annanicole wrote:

Genesis 2

I didn't believe your nonsense long before you trapped yourself in your lies. : :

You have never believed that the voice of God could be heard by saints and chosen believers. You are an antichrist who rejects His voice. But don't worry, you will know His voice after your flesh perishes in this age just like He has promised.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 7:24:38 AM
At 8/3/2015 6:53:23 AM, bobar wrote:

Genesis 2

I didn't believe your nonsense long before you trapped yourself in your lies. : :

You have never believed that the voice of God could be heard by saints and chosen believers.

I have never believed that YOU are the "voice of God", or that the "voice of God" speaks through you in the first place. I think if God were gonna pick someone through whom to speak, he'd be a little more particular.
bobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 7:30:54 AM
At 8/3/2015 7:24:38 AM, annanicole wrote:

Genesis 2

You have never believed that the voice of God could be heard by saints and chosen believers.

I have never believed that YOU are the "voice of God", or that the "voice of God" speaks through you in the first place. I think if God were gonna pick someone through whom to speak, he'd be a little more particular. : :

He was particular. He chose His created voice to speak for Him and used many mouths of His prophets and saints to speak through.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 7:48:53 AM
At 8/3/2015 7:30:54 AM, bobar wrote:

Genesis 2

I have never believed that YOU are the "voice of God", or that the "voice of God" speaks through you in the first place. I think if God were gonna pick someone through whom to speak, he'd be a little more particular. : :

He was particular.

Ummm ... not if He picked an adulterous, schizophrenic ex-drunk with a penchant for lying. I think he'd choose a more reliable character than that.
bobar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 7:59:06 AM
At 8/3/2015 7:48:53 AM, annanicole wrote:

Genesis 2

He was particular.

Ummm ... not if He picked an adulterous, schizophrenic ex-drunk with a penchant for lying. I think he'd choose a more reliable character than that. : :

God chose St. Paul who was a killer of some of God's chosen saints.

God's servants do not appear to be of typical leadership status that most people look up to. They are not great orators or have the great looks of a leader. Most of them were nothing to look at or thought of as someone who would succeed in this world.

This scripture describes us best;

I Corinthians 1:
25: For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26: For consider your call, brethren; not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth;
27: but God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise, God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong,
28: God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are,
29: so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 8:06:27 AM
At 8/3/2015 7:59:06 AM, bobar wrote:
At 8/3/2015 7:48:53 AM, annanicole wrote:

Genesis 2

He was particular.

Ummm ... not if He picked an adulterous, schizophrenic ex-drunk with a penchant for lying. I think he'd choose a more reliable character than that. : :

God chose St. Paul who was a killer of some of God's chosen saints.

Yes, but Paul wasn't a mentally-ill drunk who lied.