Jump to topic:

Violence and Religion

joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 2:03:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Do you think that there is a connection between violence and religion? If so, explain where you think that connection comes from. If not, explain why you do not think there is a connection.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 2:32:41 AM
At 8/4/2015 2:03:51 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
Do you think that there is a connection between violence and religion? If so, explain where you think that connection comes from. If not, explain why you do not think there is a connection.

Oh hell yes there is a connection between violence and religion. I say this as a Christian. and I admit it. when I was Atheist in fact this fact was one of my favorite topics to taunt Believers with. saying that millions have been killed in the name of God! so religion is more trouble than good. But now I see--I believe--we cant blame God, Only ourselves. It is Man and not God that commits the violence, wars, killing, terrorism. And God doesn't like it one bit. it grieves Him. know that. but we got this damn thing called Free Will.Without it we wouldn't be Humans. and that's what he created. Not robots. not sycophonts.
I think the connection is becasue religion is one of the main topics that hits people in their Hearts. where they live. they, we, take it personal. when you base your whole life around something and worship it like a God and then somebody else attacks it you feel justified with violence. and you think that God doesn't mind and that really your sticking up for him. these are dangerous people. I also think that I dont see an end to it. As long as there are different relgions and especially with Islam in the mix we're always going to have wars and terrorism. It's what you can call a double-edged sword--not being able to have on without the other. the only way this could end is if God gave the whole world a Message, an undeniable one--like coming from the Sky in someting out of Revelations and announcing how He wants us to Believe. and which God He really is. But I wont hold my breath for that to happen. It would defeat the whole purpose of Faith. It would make it too easy to believe, and we wouldnt be able to learn anything. No more life's journeys searching for God and trying to get to know Him, which is the school, the dues we pay so we can be Saved.
We're stuck with it: violence in the name of religion Im afraid.
God Bless. this is a good and honest question and one that needs to be asked and I wish I could defend or answer different. but I can't. I know no more than anybody about God's Will. I only speak what I think and how He has effected my own life.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 8:24:59 AM

Yes there is a connection between violence and religion, Islam and Christianity offer positive proof of that fact.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 9:18:19 AM

The connection comes from muslims.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 9:46:08 AM
Nope, there is only a connection between violence and people.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 1:34:33 PM
Religion is like a "way of life".

If your way of lie is violence, well....
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 1:55:38 PM

There is a connection between violence and life, and religion must eventually confront that ugly reality.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 2:00:21 PM
Religion provides an excuse for violence without guilt as baggage. It takes religion to allow good people to do bad things.
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 3:03:33 PM
At 8/4/2015 9:18:19 AM, Wylted wrote:

And from Christians:

-Martin Luther:
Alas, it cannot be anything but the terrible wrath of God which permits anyone to sink into such abysmal, devilish, hellish, insane baseness, envy, and arrogance. If I were to avenge myself on the devil himself I should be unable to wish him such evil and misfortune as God's wrath inflicts on the Jews, compelling them to lie and to blaspheme so monstrously, in violation of their own conscience

Hitler:
My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God"s truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter.

Also https://en.wikipedia.org...
"The European wars of religion were a series of religious wars waged in Europe from ca. 1524 to 1648, following the onset of the Protestant Reformation in Western and Northern Europe"

And http://www.gendercide.org...
For three centuries of early modern European history, diverse societies were consumed by a panic over alleged witches in their midst. Witch-hunts, especially in Central Europe, resulted in the trial, torture, and execution of tens of thousands of victims, about three-quarters of whom were women

Let's not forget the millions of native americans (North and South America) whose wealth, land and lives were taken "In the name of God".
Think
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 3:10:14 PM
At 8/4/2015 3:03:33 PM, ecco wrote:
At 8/4/2015 9:18:19 AM, Wylted wrote:

And from Christians:

-Martin Luther:
Alas, it cannot be anything but the terrible wrath of God which permits anyone to sink into such abysmal, devilish, hellish, insane baseness, envy, and arrogance. If I were to avenge myself on the devil himself I should be unable to wish him such evil and misfortune as God's wrath inflicts on the Jews, compelling them to lie and to blaspheme so monstrously, in violation of their own conscience

Hitler:
My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God"s truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter.

Also https://en.wikipedia.org...
"The European wars of religion were a series of religious wars waged in Europe from ca. 1524 to 1648, following the onset of the Protestant Reformation in Western and Northern Europe"

And http://www.gendercide.org...
For three centuries of early modern European history, diverse societies were consumed by a panic over alleged witches in their midst. Witch-hunts, especially in Central Europe, resulted in the trial, torture, and execution of tens of thousands of victims, about three-quarters of whom were women

Let's not forget the millions of native americans (North and South America) whose wealth, land and lives were taken "In the name of God".

You're right, all Abrahamic religions are evil.
Mike.com
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 3:17:41 PM
Hi August..

May I ask you what you think you have been 'saved' from? I know what the doctrine is but as you seem to be someone who gives much thought to these things, would like to know if possible and how that reconciles with a belief in God that you must know wouldn't judge another person by the sins of others?

With respect to your question. Its already been said. Its because of claims of ownership that their belief is the right and only one and so all others are wrong and they believe God wants them to convert them or kill them. Its not just Islam but the sectarianism among Christianity. Catholics and Protestants and nothing seems to have changed much apart from less killings but that hasn't removed the hate between them.

Sorry about the first question as its off topic but Jesus and John the Baptist believed the world was about to end and were trying to 'save' people from God's judgement not by blood sacrifice but by doing good and changing their ways. That didn't happen back then and so why do we think that same judgement and saving applies today?
TrueScotsman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 3:20:03 PM

Violence existed before religion came around on the scene, religion is a powerful tool by which to manipulate others into violence. However, violence is an innate even natural human activity, born out of our tribalistic past and the us vs them mentality that is so difficult to escape.

Just about any ideology when taken to the extreme can lead to violence and hatred.
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 3:56:57 PM
At 8/4/2015 3:20:03 PM, TrueScotsman wrote:

Violence existed before religion came around on the scene, religion is a powerful tool by which to manipulate others into violence. However, violence is an innate even natural human activity, born out of our tribalistic past and the us vs them mentality that is so difficult to escape.

Just about any ideology when taken to the extreme can lead to violence and hatred.

I agree. However, when Leaders can convince the Population that God has directed them, it is a far more powerful argument.

Owning slaves is OK. It says so in the bible...
Leviticus 25:44-46New Living Translation (NLT)
However, you may purchase male and female slaves from among the nations around you. 45 You may also purchase the children of temporary residents who live among you, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, 46 passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat them as slaves, but you must never treat your fellow Israelites this way.

Dying is a good thing if happens while defending Allah
Quran (4:74) - "Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward."
Think
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 4:44:19 PM

the single common denominator in violence is people...

they fight over anything....