Total Posts:61|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why do Atheists hate Matrix Theory so much?

Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 5:20:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
What I have stated on other threads is that an infinite universe or a finite universe are our choices of how our universe/reality is. I also state that neither is intellectually easy to grasp or accept. In other words, we have a universe/reality that is infinite and never ends or we have a universe/reality that exists inside of nothing. It is its own container. Nothing is beyond it. I have wrapped my mind around both ideas. Neither concept is concievable to my mind. I challenge both theories constantly. I am not convinced either way. Infinite reality is a perplexing thought.

Switching theories here. A finite reality where basically we have a blob of water inside of nothing gets the reject button as well. I cannot cocieve or believe there is an object inside of nothing. It defies "understandability."

So I propose, but do not claim or support, the idea of computer programming, not to say it's true, but to say it is an idea that makes infinite or finite universe/reality believable. In programming, a concept known as a "loop', makes infinite reality easily understood and concieved. Within the constructs of programming, a finite reality is easily believable. The program allows for a limited reality, but nothing is beyond it because the program places a boundry on the reality, but it programs nothing beyond this reality. Therefore it exists inside of nothing, but only programming makes such an idea logical in my opinion.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 5:31:47 AM
At 8/4/2015 5:18:35 AM, Sooner wrote:
Why do Athiests hate Matrix Theory so much?

which matrix theory are you referring to?
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 5:55:05 AM
At 8/4/2015 5:20:18 AM, Sooner wrote:
What I have stated on other threads is that an infinite universe or a finite universe are our choices of how our universe/reality is. I also state that neither is intellectually easy to grasp or accept. In other words, we have a universe/reality that is infinite and never ends or we have a universe/reality that exists inside of nothing. It is its own container. Nothing is beyond it. I have wrapped my mind around both ideas. Neither concept is concievable to my mind. I challenge both theories constantly. I am not convinced either way. Infinite reality is a perplexing thought.

Switching theories here. A finite reality where basically we have a blob of water inside of nothing gets the reject button as well. I cannot cocieve or believe there is an object inside of nothing. It defies "understandability."

So I propose, but do not claim or support, the idea of computer programming, not to say it's true, but to say it is an idea that makes infinite or finite universe/reality believable. In programming, a concept known as a "loop', makes infinite reality easily understood and concieved. Within the constructs of programming, a finite reality is easily believable. The program allows for a limited reality, but nothing is beyond it because the program places a boundry on the reality, but it programs nothing beyond this reality. Therefore it exists inside of nothing, but only programming makes such an idea logical in my opinion.

I am with you on this. I would like to know why this isn't a likely outcome. If there is an immortal intelligence, wouldn't mortality be a logical creation? What i say is border line childish bc i am implying that we live in worlds for one, entertainment from immortality. I am sure there are other reasons too. I just do not see how it isn't logical that all of this isn't being used by an immortal intelligence to live out desires, characters, creativity ... and other words we haven't figured out yet ... we cannot be the only intelligence that has ever been ... and, random? please... But, think about it ... the atheist's character is needed. Without them, who else will open our minds that there is more than enslaved beliefs; screaming in our ears that this can be our only life ... to live it up. Honestly, the more i look into it ... the more it all looks like a game, which correlates with a matrix idea i think you are talking about.
pbarnum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 5:56:51 AM

So I propose, but do not claim or support, the idea of computer programming, not to say it's true, but to say it is an idea that makes infinite or finite universe/reality believable. In programming, a concept known as a "loop', makes infinite reality easily understood and concieved. Within the constructs of programming, a finite reality is easily believable. The program allows for a limited reality, but nothing is beyond it because the program places a boundry on the reality, but it programs nothing beyond this reality. Therefore it exists inside of nothing, but only programming makes such an idea logical in my opinion. : :

The program called Eternal Life that God's characters are involved in will experience an infinite amount of illusions in the future. However, this program contains two parts. The first part is to teach us characters who we are and how we were created. The second part will never end so we characters will never experience death like we all do in this first part.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 6:01:22 AM

Because the 2nd matrix movie sucked so hard and so much the earth was nearly destroyed as the suckiness reached almost a critical mass where a black hole was formed.

Thanks Obama........
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 6:22:35 AM
At 8/4/2015 5:56:51 AM, pbarnum wrote:

So I propose, but do not claim or support, the idea of computer programming, not to say it's true, but to say it is an idea that makes infinite or finite universe/reality believable. In programming, a concept known as a "loop', makes infinite reality easily understood and concieved. Within the constructs of programming, a finite reality is easily believable. The program allows for a limited reality, but nothing is beyond it because the program places a boundry on the reality, but it programs nothing beyond this reality. Therefore it exists inside of nothing, but only programming makes such an idea logical in my opinion. : :

The program called Eternal Life that God's characters are involved in will experience an infinite amount of illusions in the future. However, this program contains two parts. The first part is to teach us characters who we are and how we were created.

Don't you think there is much more than just teaching us our character? That would be easily done with a snap of a finger to a god.

The second part will never end so we characters will never experience death like we all do in this first part.

Death is a creation. It is an escape between mortal worlds. So, this will not be the last time we experience it.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 6:36:59 AM
At 8/4/2015 5:31:47 AM, DanMGTOW wrote:

--------

Any theory that involves our reality being a virtual reality, making scientific laws of no consequence because they are simply "programmed" laws that can be manipulated or changed at the discretion of a programmer.
pbarnum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 6:51:50 AM
At 8/4/2015 6:22:35 AM, Outplayz wrote:

The program called Eternal Life that God's characters are involved in will experience an infinite amount of illusions in the future. However, this program contains two parts. The first part is to teach us characters who we are and how we were created.

Don't you think there is much more than just teaching us our character? That would be easily done with a snap of a finger to a god. : ;

Our Creator has taught me a lot about the past, present and future. I've hardly begun teaching you what I know.

The second part will never end so we characters will never experience death like we all do in this first part.

Death is a creation. It is an escape between mortal worlds. So, this will not be the last time we experience it. : :

Yes. Death will be only experienced in the first part of His program. When the last of the characters have died during the illusion of hot molten lava pouring out from inside the earth, it will end this age. Then we start a new age ( part 2 ) and all God's characters will get new bodies to experience all the various illusions that He has planned for us.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 1:17:29 PM

Impossible to hate a hypothesis since it is unproven and merely a guess, an educated guess in some instances, about what is real and what is not. Since it has no possible bearing on reality as we perceive it, it's meaningless in any real sense so again, impossible to hate.

Why do you feel it necessary to project your emotions onto others?
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 1:33:45 PM
At 8/4/2015 1:17:29 PM, dhardage wrote:

Impossible to hate a hypothesis since it is unproven and merely a guess, an educated guess in some instances, about what is real and what is not. Since it has no possible bearing on reality as we perceive it, it's meaningless in any real sense so again, impossible to hate.

Why do you feel it necessary to project your emotions onto others?

------Response------
Hi.
Continued on next comment>
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 1:34:04 PM

If the programmer's universe does not allow the attributes to create the program then the program can't exist. Programs have to have real physical traits to enable and maintain the emulation. In other words, you can't have a program from nothing.

You have just moved the questions you had about infinity to the programmers universe and have not settled any questions. If you want to call the programmer God, then the question becomes is God infinite or does God have boundaries. If God has boundaries how could he exist in nothing? The definition of God has attributes such as intelligence. How does intelligence or other attributes which enable creating a program arise? Those attributes are not nothing, so how does something so complex always exist if God is infinite?

So to answer your questions, Atheists don't hate matrix theory because you simply push the focus to a defined state so you can sweep the real tough questions under the rug hoping nobody sees them there.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 1:40:03 PM
"Impossible to hate a hypothesis since it is unproven and merely a guess, an educated guess in some instances..."

-------Response------
What makes you think my topic is emotional? I don't see any emotional keywords or any exclamation points. Just sayin...

Isn't your theory of my response being "emotional" simply a hypothesis, an unproven but educated guess that is impossible to prove, thus impossible to hate?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 1:41:37 PM

I watch that movie more than any sane rational person should. There is nothing in it, no matter how you interpret it that would be incompatible with atheism.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 1:48:52 PM
At 8/4/2015 1:34:04 PM, slo1 wrote:

If the programmer's universe does not allow the attributes to create the program then the program can't exist. Programs have to have real physical traits to enable and maintain the emulation. In other words, you can't have a program from nothing.

You have just moved the questions you had about infinity to the programmers universe and have not settled any questions. If you want to call the programmer God, then the question becomes is God infinite or does God have boundaries. If God has boundaries how could he exist in nothing? The definition of God has attributes such as intelligence. How does intelligence or other attributes which enable creating a program arise? Those attributes are not nothing, so how does something so complex always exist if God is infinite?

So to answer your questions, Atheists don't hate matrix theory because you simply push the focus to a defined state so you can sweep the real tough questions under the rug hoping nobody sees them there.

------response------

Yeah I copy and paste simetimes so I don't have to retype a thought. Pretty rational eh?

I never said god is "a" or "the" programmer. It could be an evolved computer that randomly spits out things until a matrix finally is the product by chance. That's kind of a point I wanted to make to myself. It's as rational a theory as anything else, so I wondered why Atheists always attack the idea. My hypothesis is they don't want any theory out there logical or not if it could possibly attach a creator to it. I'm writing a blog on how I think Atheism is a religion, and the past and current attacks by Atheists are kind of proving me right. One part of my blog is that Atheism is the "hope that there is no creator", therefore a religion. Otherwise Matrix Theory by itself wouldn't be such a targeted theory by the Atheist community.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 1:52:19 PM
At 8/4/2015 1:41:37 PM, Wylted wrote:

I watch that movie more than any sane rational person should. There is nothing in it, no matter how you interpret it that would be incompatible with atheism.

-----
Do you hate the theory or do u think it is as valid as many other theories? Say the computer that spit out the Matrix randomly by chance finally after many "spit outs". Would that fit into Atheism?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 1:57:02 PM
At 8/4/2015 1:40:03 PM, Sooner wrote:
"Impossible to hate a hypothesis since it is unproven and merely a guess, an educated guess in some instances..."

-------Response------
What makes you think my topic is emotional? I don't see any emotional keywords or any exclamation points. Just sayin...

Let's see, 'hate' is an emotion and you applied it to atheists in general.

Isn't your theory of my response being "emotional" simply a hypothesis, an unproven but educated guess that is impossible to prove, thus impossible to hate?

No, I can see your words written down and thus can critique them with reasonable certainty. No test needed since the fact are present for all to observe.

Now why don't you actually make a sensible, logical, considered query instead of empty expostulation?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 2:42:59 PM
At 8/4/2015 1:52:19 PM, Sooner wrote:

-----
Do you hate the theory or do u think it is as valid as many other theories? Say the computer that spit out the Matrix randomly by chance finally after many "spit outs". Would that fit into Atheism?

It might stand to reason that at some point, we'll have the technological capability to produce ancestor simulations, something like a more sophisticated version of the sims. If we do develop that level of technology (and it appears we're on course to), than it stands to reason that we in fact may be a simulation ourselves.

If you consider a team of computer nerds developing a sentient program "God", than maybe you could make the argument that the matrix theory is incompatible with atheism, but most people wouldn't consider some nerds/computer scientists who can create or simulate sentient life to be "Gods".
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 2:44:07 PM

What makes you think they do? There are some facts about the universe that are consistent with this speculation.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 2:52:25 PM
At 8/4/2015 1:48:52 PM, Sooner wrote:

------response------

Yeah I copy and paste simetimes so I don't have to retype a thought. Pretty rational eh?

I never said god is "a" or "the" programmer. It could be an evolved computer that randomly spits out things until a matrix finally is the product by chance. That's kind of a point I wanted to make to myself. It's as rational a theory as anything else, so I wondered why Atheists always attack the idea. My hypothesis is they don't want any theory out there logical or not if it could possibly attach a creator to it. I'm writing a blog on how I think Atheism is a religion, and the past and current attacks by Atheists are kind of proving me right. One part of my blog is that Atheism is the "hope that there is no creator", therefore a religion. Otherwise Matrix Theory by itself wouldn't be such a targeted theory by the Atheist community.

You, sir or ma'am, are a self-absorbed fool who knows nothing yet claims knowledge of everything.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 3:41:13 PM

This.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 6:03:46 PM
At 8/4/2015 6:36:59 AM, Sooner wrote:

--------

Any theory that involves our reality being a virtual reality, making scientific laws of no consequence because they are simply "programmed" laws that can be manipulated or changed at the discretion of a programmer.

that is an interesting theory, how would you go about testing it?
i realize that most believers hate testing, but you really should give it a try
the only way to disprove science, is with more science.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 9:30:49 PM

well I'm a Christian and I don't like the Matrix. Hate is too strong of a word but I dislike it and think its one of the most overrated movies ever, also Keanu Reeves has always been a pretty bad actor. The Matrix is also just bad science with some pretty bad plot flaws. lol-blue pill or red? really?
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 10:08:53 PM
At 8/4/2015 6:51:50 AM, pbarnum wrote:
At 8/4/2015 6:22:35 AM, Outplayz wrote:

Don't you think there is much more than just teaching us our character? That would be easily done with a snap of a finger to a god. : ;

Our Creator has taught me a lot about the past, present and future. I've hardly begun teaching you what I know.

Death is a creation. It is an escape between mortal worlds. So, this will not be the last time we experience it. : :

Yes. Death will be only experienced in the first part of His program. When the last of the characters have died during the illusion of hot molten lava pouring out from inside the earth, it will end this age. Then we start a new age ( part 2 ) and all God's characters will get new bodies to experience all the various illusions that He has planned for us.

Okay. So, you are at the point i was at a little while ago. I was philosophizing on the same thing you are right now. We are in agreement i am assuming on the point that this source (god) has created characters. My question to myself was, "if it did create characters wouldn't we all be one?" So now it becomes a Solipsistic source. As in we are all one. If we are all one ... the biggest fear for a Solipsistic source would be "fear" of being "alone." these two are key. Being just one is frightening after knowing you can be all (socially). This brought me to where i am at now. I look at its actions as a movie. How many different movies do we have? Same with worlds. If there is intelligent sources ... why wait? Why not create many worlds, many places to visit. This world is just one of many. This world has its rules ... one being no magic except the magic of our imaginations. We share our imaginations.

I use a music analogy for the reason of this world. As a musician i can create music by myself. But, put me with another musician and we will be looking at each other with awe when creating ... stuff just comes from feeding off our combined creativity. Similar to this world. We are working together with our one power to make this universe what it's suppose to be.

So again, why wait? It is more logical that if this type of "source(s)" exists ... so does many worlds bc an immortal intelligence would be moving forward. Not stuck in the present, or past or future ... just moving forward; sorta like us ... humans would be a good comparison. We move forward. It is not logical for this one source, which i think there is more than one by now, would just hang around waiting for "something." It's not waiting, and you are not either. You are in a paradise now, and you are creating your character here in preparation for your next life ... we just keep moving forward.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 10:29:06 PM
At 8/4/2015 9:30:49 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

well I'm a Christian and I don't like the Matrix. Hate is too strong of a word but I dislike it and think its one of the most overrated movies ever, also Keanu Reeves has always been a pretty bad actor. The Matrix is also just bad science with some pretty bad plot flaws. lol-blue pill or red? really?

I must disagree. When the first Matrix came out ... it was pretty awesome imho. It was the first time we saw crazy cgi and movements that haven't been done. I like it for what it is, same with Mr. Reeves Lol. I know, i know ... i have had this debate many of times. A lot are against the guy, but he is what he is. I've always liked him as an actor bc i like his character. It's kinda like how Bruce Willis has a particular character in every movie. Same with Reeves. I guess your either a fan or not; i'm a fan personally, but i understand why others are not.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 10:41:36 PM
At 8/4/2015 2:52:25 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 8/4/2015 1:48:52 PM, Sooner wrote:

You, sir or ma'am, are a self-absorbed fool who knows nothing yet claims knowledge of everything.

He seems like he is just trying to explain a theory that seems logical. I haven't seen a tone that suggests he is saying this is exactly what he believes ... that would be more appropriate towards me lol. This is a theory i think is not only logical, but most likely. Since this is the first time i am talking to you ... i will take your insult: "You, sir or ma'am, are a self-absorbed fool who knows nothing yet claims knowledge of everything." Yes, i do not know everything, but i claim to have the knowledge to know a little something about everything ... you mad? This theory "can" border on the lines of Solipsism. So, i'll start my questions here.

First: how can you prove to me that this world isn't all a simulation for me to see (i am the "one" Solipsistic human)?
Second: Prove to me this isn't all a Solipsistic view of one "god" (which isn't material)?
Third (where i'm at): Prove to me this isn't a multiple Solipsistic view (Multiple creators; many worlds; many simulations)?

You sir or ma'am, are pretending to know everything with your tone ... i only invite you to try and think outside the box.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 10:47:47 PM

The program called Eternal Life that God's characters are involved in will experience an infinite amount of illusions in the future. However, this program contains two parts. The first part is to teach us characters who we are and how we were created. The second part will never end so we characters will never experience death like we all do in this first part.

The program must be flawed. To call it Eternal Life when the characters die is a contradiction. It is no different than sending a messiah only to see him rejected and put to death.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 10:56:41 PM
At 8/4/2015 6:03:46 PM, DanMGTOW wrote:

--------

Testing this theory is proving to be a little difficult to me. The programmer would be much beyond our knowledge ... so, how do you hack the master hacker(s)? Observation of characters is interesting however. I think something may be testable there. If someone is programmed into this world, it most likely has a character ... again the hard part is the many characters that there are, or can be. If we look at this world as a program which allows an unbound source to live a human experience, we can assume that there is purpose behind a motive to come here ... even if it is a roll of the dice decision. So, can we change characters? Well, if we made this world a paradise (or close to it) would there still be evil? I guess that would be a test. If the world became undesirable for the "darker" sources, would they stop coming here ... Or, would we be able to control the ones that come here ... Yet, we are, still at this point, unintelligent ... Have we even figured out how to define evil? Hmm, the program is running, but we have to become more intelligent to test/see the program. In my conclusion ... i don't think we will ever figure out the next step. I think it has been programmed to not be able to ... If an immortal designed this life to have a human experience, why would it want to know it is immortal? The cool thing is that we are all these powerful immortals ... i can make a prophecy and say one day, we will figure out how to be gods here. By then, we will have figured out the madness beyond this program, maybe.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 11:03:01 PM
Why do Atheists hate Matrix Theory so much?

As opposed to the BFSS matrix model proposed by Banks et al in 1997? I didn't know one needed to be irreligious to oppose that. :) [https://en.wikipedia.org...]

Do you have some stats to show that the rejection of the premise of The Matrix movie is higher among atheists than others?

Regardless, I'll confess that I didn't like the first movie much -- a cool-looking but ultimately superficial Hong Kong-style film noir wire fu martial arts Sci Fi romp, built on flimsy Alice in Wonderland/Soylent Green plotting that had been done better in SF literature decades before.

I liked the trilogy even less, because to spin out the sequels they essentially retold the World Redeemer/Hero's Journey plot so abused in fantasy, and in particular they told a Christian version of it because the Norns forbid that a Hollywood writer should be original.

As to the idea of a world with reprogrammable metaphysics -- I have no problem at all with that. My problem is that the writers couldn't find anything better to do with that premise than tell the same old face-achingly tired tales.
drmanseni
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 11:21:35 PM
At 8/4/2015 10:56:41 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/4/2015 6:03:46 PM, DanMGTOW wrote:

--------

Testing this theory is proving to be a little difficult to me. The programmer would be much beyond our knowledge ... so, how do you hack the master hacker(s)? Observation of characters is interesting however. I think something may be testable there. If someone is programmed into this world, it most likely has a character ... again the hard part is the many characters that there are, or can be. If we look at this world as a program which allows an unbound source to live a human experience, we can assume that there is purpose behind a motive to come here ... even if it is a roll of the dice decision. So, can we change characters? Well, if we made this world a paradise (or close to it) would there still be evil? I guess that would be a test. If the world became undesirable for the "darker" sources, would they stop coming here ... Or, would we be able to control the ones that come here ... Yet, we are, still at this point, unintelligent ... Have we even figured out how to define evil? Hmm, the program is running, but we have to become more intelligent to test/see the program. In my conclusion ... i don't think we will ever figure out the next step. I think it has been programmed to not be able to ... If an immortal designed this life to have a human experience, why would it want to know it is immortal? The cool thing is that we are all these powerful immortals ... i can make a prophecy and say one day, we will figure out how to be gods here. By then, we will have figured out the madness beyond this program, maybe. : :

The Creator of the simulation we're living in has been using me for 7 years now to testify to His knowledge and learn who we are. He has taught me exactly how He created everything and what the future will be like. The world's we're experiencing now with the good and evil contrast that we think is real will end soon. In the next age, we won't experience this contrast of good and evil because all of God's illusions we observe will be understood in the one language we will all speak to each other.

If you want to know about the future, let me know and I'll share it with you.