Total Posts:51|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What the Hell did Jesus write in the Sand?

August_Burns_Red
Posts: 1,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 3:36:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This passage from the Gospel of john has had Christians and even Bible Scholars scratching their heads for centuries. Since we got some pretty smart Christians here on DDO I want to know what YOU think our Savior wrote .God Bless.

Early in the morning he came again to the temple; all the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?" 6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.

7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her." 8 And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 9 But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.

10 Jesus looked up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" 11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again." John 8:2- 12 RSV
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 4:38:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 3:36:03 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
This passage from the Gospel of john has had Christians and even Bible Scholars scratching their heads for centuries. Since we got some pretty smart Christians here on DDO I want to know what YOU think our Savior wrote .God Bless.

The answer is blowing in the wind.

Early in the morning he came again to the temple; all the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?" 6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.

It makes no difference what he wrote. The action could be interpreted as one of ignoring their question as if he didn't hear them, which is included in the words of KJV or as an act of thoughtfulness about what he was about to reply or maybe he was just scratching around in the dirt looking for a stone to offer to those who wanted her stoned.
What he wrote, if he wrote anything at all is irrelevant to the principle of mercy and forgiveness taught in the story.

Don't get distracted by unimportant things. Learn mercy and forgiveness.

7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her." 8 And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 9 But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.

10 Jesus looked up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" 11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again." John 8:2- 12 RSV
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 5:40:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 3:36:03 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
This passage from the Gospel of john has had Christians and even Bible Scholars scratching their heads for centuries. Since we got some pretty smart Christians here on DDO I want to know what YOU think our Savior wrote .God Bless.

Early in the morning he came again to the temple; all the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?" 6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.

7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her." 8 And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 9 But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.

10 Jesus looked up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" 11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again." John 8:2- 12 RSV


He was writing the sins of the accusers - or so the story goes.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
dee-em
Posts: 6,473
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 6:24:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 3:36:03 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
This passage from the Gospel of john has had Christians and even Bible Scholars scratching their heads for centuries. Since we got some pretty smart Christians here on DDO I want to know what YOU think our Savior wrote .God Bless.

Early in the morning he came again to the temple; all the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?" 6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.

7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her." 8 And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 9 But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.

10 Jesus looked up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" 11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again." John 8:2- 12 RSV


Since he wasn't even aware of the crowd leaving, he was obviously stoned.
bnrobertson
Posts: 117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 8:27:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 3:36:03 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
This passage from the Gospel of john has had Christians and even Bible Scholars scratching their heads for centuries. Since we got some pretty smart Christians here on DDO I want to know what YOU think our Savior wrote .God Bless.

Early in the morning he came again to the temple; all the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?" 6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.

7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her." 8 And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 9 But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.

10 Jesus looked up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" 11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again." John 8:2- 12 RSV
: :

Bible readers are more interested in the details that have nothing to do with the Truth.
dee-em
Posts: 6,473
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 9:38:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 8:27:05 AM, bnrobertson wrote:
At 8/5/2015 3:36:03 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
This passage from the Gospel of john has had Christians and even Bible Scholars scratching their heads for centuries. Since we got some pretty smart Christians here on DDO I want to know what YOU think our Savior wrote .God Bless.

Early in the morning he came again to the temple; all the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?" 6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.

7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her." 8 And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 9 But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.

10 Jesus looked up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" 11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again." John 8:2- 12 RSV
: :

Bible readers are more interested in the details that have nothing to do with the Truth.

Brad, you aren't welcome here. Bugger off.
Sooner
Posts: 1,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 11:12:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
He wrote the code for unlimited lives in the original Nintendo game "Contra". Up up down down left right left right A B Select Start. It changed lives forever. He had the ability to prophesy. Some argue that it was the lyrics to "Stairway to Heaven", but I know better than that.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 11:35:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 3:36:03 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
This passage from the Gospel of john has had Christians and even Bible Scholars scratching their heads for centuries. Since we got some pretty smart Christians here on DDO I want to know what YOU think our Savior wrote .God Bless.

Early in the morning he came again to the temple; all the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?" 6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.

7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her." 8 And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 9 But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.

10 Jesus looked up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" 11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again." John 8:2- 12 RSV


It could be a reference to Jeremiah when it says "those who depart from me shall be wriiten in the earth because they have forsaken me" but I think it was a demonstration of how God wrote on stone the laws but he might have written a few of their sins down that he knew..
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 1:01:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think that this was either interpolated or is remenants of a story the author ripped off (if Jesus is said to be wtiting words).

The reason for this is because Jesus was purposely made to be illiterate in the gospel stories. The reason for this is so those he teaches to would wonder how he knew so much as he would not have gotten it from scripture, and thus affirm he was getting it from god.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 1:05:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 1:01:48 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I think that this was either interpolated or is remenants of a story the author ripped off (if Jesus is said to be wtiting words).

The reason for this is because Jesus was purposely made to be illiterate in the gospel stories. The reason for this is so those he teaches to would wonder how he knew so much as he would not have gotten it from scripture, and thus affirm he was getting it from god.

if Jesus was illiterate how did he read the scroll in the synagogue "the spirit of the Lord is upon me...

I think you are talking about muhammered who was allegedly illiterate....
bulproof
Posts: 25,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 1:24:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 1:05:55 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:01:48 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I think that this was either interpolated or is remenants of a story the author ripped off (if Jesus is said to be wtiting words).

The reason for this is because Jesus was purposely made to be illiterate in the gospel stories. The reason for this is so those he teaches to would wonder how he knew so much as he would not have gotten it from scripture, and thus affirm he was getting it from god.

if Jesus was illiterate how did he read the scroll in the synagogue "the spirit of the Lord is upon me...

I think you are talking about muhammered who was allegedly illiterate....

How did jesus learn to read the scriptures in a backwoods village, when the only copy of those scriptures existed in Jerusalem?
The only people who learned to read were those chosen by the Pharisees.
I guess there are lots of lies in that book.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 1:30:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 1:24:53 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:05:55 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:01:48 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I think that this was either interpolated or is remenants of a story the author ripped off (if Jesus is said to be wtiting words).

The reason for this is because Jesus was purposely made to be illiterate in the gospel stories. The reason for this is so those he teaches to would wonder how he knew so much as he would not have gotten it from scripture, and thus affirm he was getting it from god.

if Jesus was illiterate how did he read the scroll in the synagogue "the spirit of the Lord is upon me...

I think you are talking about muhammered who was allegedly illiterate....

How did jesus learn to read the scriptures in a backwoods village, when the only copy of those scriptures existed in Jerusalem?
The only people who learned to read were those chosen by the Pharisees.
I guess there are lots of lies in that book.

yet in a small town like nazareth we are told they had a scroll of Isaiah.... odd that isn't it...lol
Mike.com
Posts: 91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 1:35:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
That story was not found in the early manuscripts and historians believe it was added later in the third century.

I found it strange that someone who was supposed to a great Rabbi and Teacher never wrote anything down. But again most historians think Jesus was probably illiterate as was 97% of the population back then.

I looked at this from another angle.

Who was it that condemned the woman to death? It wasn't the crowd willy nilly and so it must have been the Sanhedrin who would have ordered it to be carried out presumably. So a bloke comes along and tells them to stop it and they all put their stones down? And the Sanhedrin does nothing at the time? Would not they have arrested Jesus on the spot there and then as someone interfering in the judicial system?

Just wondered? ;)
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 2:22:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 1:05:55 PM, graceofgod wrote:
if Jesus was illiterate how did he read the scroll in the synagogue "the spirit of the Lord is upon me...

I think you are talking about muhammered who was allegedly illiterate....

Which gospel is that in again? John might be different from the synoptics. I just remember both reading and hearing about that from a couple PhD historians.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 2:46:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 2:22:47 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:05:55 PM, graceofgod wrote:
if Jesus was illiterate how did he read the scroll in the synagogue "the spirit of the Lord is upon me...

I think you are talking about muhammered who was allegedly illiterate....

Which gospel is that in again? John might be different from the synoptics. I just remember both reading and hearing about that from a couple PhD historians.

Luke 4 vs 17 and 18....
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 3:23:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 2:46:20 PM, graceofgod wrote:
Luke 4 vs 17 and 18....

Its interesting that the equivolent section of those verses in mark, matthew, and the gospel of the lord do not include that part.

Wonder why the author of Luke made Jesus literate while the authors of Mark and Matthew had it so the crowd was surprised that Jesus had the knowledge he showed (probably implying illiteracy).
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 3:36:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 3:23:42 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 8/5/2015 2:46:20 PM, graceofgod wrote:
Luke 4 vs 17 and 18....

Its interesting that the equivolent section of those verses in mark, matthew, and the gospel of the lord do not include that part.

Wonder why the author of Luke made Jesus literate while the authors of Mark and Matthew had it so the crowd was surprised that Jesus had the knowledge he showed (probably implying illiteracy).

it says they marvelled at his knowledge and understanding, the fact he read the scroll rules out illiteracy......
perhaps with luke being a doctor gave greater detail...
bulproof
Posts: 25,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 3:40:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 1:30:19 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:24:53 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:05:55 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:01:48 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I think that this was either interpolated or is remenants of a story the author ripped off (if Jesus is said to be wtiting words).

The reason for this is because Jesus was purposely made to be illiterate in the gospel stories. The reason for this is so those he teaches to would wonder how he knew so much as he would not have gotten it from scripture, and thus affirm he was getting it from god.

if Jesus was illiterate how did he read the scroll in the synagogue "the spirit of the Lord is upon me...

I think you are talking about muhammered who was allegedly illiterate....

How did jesus learn to read the scriptures in a backwoods village, when the only copy of those scriptures existed in Jerusalem?
The only people who learned to read were those chosen by the Pharisees.
I guess there are lots of lies in that book.

yet in a small town like nazareth we are told they had a scroll of Isaiah.... odd that isn't it...lol

Can you supply some evidence of this claim?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bnrobertson
Posts: 117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 3:47:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 3:23:42 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 8/5/2015 2:46:20 PM, graceofgod wrote:
Luke 4 vs 17 and 18....

Its interesting that the equivolent section of those verses in mark, matthew, and the gospel of the lord do not include that part.

Wonder why the author of Luke made Jesus literate while the authors of Mark and Matthew had it so the crowd was surprised that Jesus had the knowledge he showed (probably implying illiteracy). : :

Most Christians believe that the new testament was written by holy men. LOL !!!!!!!

They don't know that the new testament was written by religious people who loved their religious Jewish traditions and pagan ideas and some Christ-like messages they stole from God's saints to add to their writings.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 3:48:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 3:40:45 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:30:19 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:24:53 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:05:55 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:01:48 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I think that this was either interpolated or is remenants of a story the author ripped off (if Jesus is said to be wtiting words).

The reason for this is because Jesus was purposely made to be illiterate in the gospel stories. The reason for this is so those he teaches to would wonder how he knew so much as he would not have gotten it from scripture, and thus affirm he was getting it from god.

if Jesus was illiterate how did he read the scroll in the synagogue "the spirit of the Lord is upon me...

I think you are talking about muhammered who was allegedly illiterate....

How did jesus learn to read the scriptures in a backwoods village, when the only copy of those scriptures existed in Jerusalem?
The only people who learned to read were those chosen by the Pharisees.
I guess there are lots of lies in that book.

yet in a small town like nazareth we are told they had a scroll of Isaiah.... odd that isn't it...lol

Can you supply some evidence of this claim?

the bible says so, luke 4 vs 16....
bulproof
Posts: 25,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 3:52:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 3:48:38 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 3:40:45 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:30:19 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:24:53 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:05:55 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:01:48 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I think that this was either interpolated or is remenants of a story the author ripped off (if Jesus is said to be wtiting words).

The reason for this is because Jesus was purposely made to be illiterate in the gospel stories. The reason for this is so those he teaches to would wonder how he knew so much as he would not have gotten it from scripture, and thus affirm he was getting it from god.

if Jesus was illiterate how did he read the scroll in the synagogue "the spirit of the Lord is upon me...

I think you are talking about muhammered who was allegedly illiterate....

How did jesus learn to read the scriptures in a backwoods village, when the only copy of those scriptures existed in Jerusalem?
The only people who learned to read were those chosen by the Pharisees.
I guess there are lots of lies in that book.

yet in a small town like nazareth we are told they had a scroll of Isaiah.... odd that isn't it...lol

Can you supply some evidence of this claim?

the bible says so, luke 4 vs 16....

And who taught him to read that? And who was there to record it?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 3:56:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 3:52:55 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 3:48:38 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 3:40:45 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:30:19 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:24:53 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:05:55 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:01:48 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I think that this was either interpolated or is remenants of a story the author ripped off (if Jesus is said to be wtiting words).

The reason for this is because Jesus was purposely made to be illiterate in the gospel stories. The reason for this is so those he teaches to would wonder how he knew so much as he would not have gotten it from scripture, and thus affirm he was getting it from god.

if Jesus was illiterate how did he read the scroll in the synagogue "the spirit of the Lord is upon me...

I think you are talking about muhammered who was allegedly illiterate....

How did jesus learn to read the scriptures in a backwoods village, when the only copy of those scriptures existed in Jerusalem?
The only people who learned to read were those chosen by the Pharisees.
I guess there are lots of lies in that book.

yet in a small town like nazareth we are told they had a scroll of Isaiah.... odd that isn't it...lol

Can you supply some evidence of this claim?

the bible says so, luke 4 vs 16....

And who taught him to read that? And who was there to record it?

I assume his father taught him and everyone in the synagogue was there to hear it and see it.....

synagogues tended to have God's word around on scrolls it's what they kinda do... bit like a library keeping books...
bulproof
Posts: 25,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 4:04:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 3:56:35 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 3:52:55 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 3:48:38 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 3:40:45 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:30:19 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:24:53 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:05:55 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:01:48 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I think that this was either interpolated or is remenants of a story the author ripped off (if Jesus is said to be wtiting words).

The reason for this is because Jesus was purposely made to be illiterate in the gospel stories. The reason for this is so those he teaches to would wonder how he knew so much as he would not have gotten it from scripture, and thus affirm he was getting it from god.

if Jesus was illiterate how did he read the scroll in the synagogue "the spirit of the Lord is upon me...

I think you are talking about muhammered who was allegedly illiterate....

How did jesus learn to read the scriptures in a backwoods village, when the only copy of those scriptures existed in Jerusalem?
The only people who learned to read were those chosen by the Pharisees.
I guess there are lots of lies in that book.

yet in a small town like nazareth we are told they had a scroll of Isaiah.... odd that isn't it...lol

Can you supply some evidence of this claim?

the bible says so, luke 4 vs 16....

And who taught him to read that? And who was there to record it?

I assume his father taught him and everyone in the synagogue was there to hear it and see it.....

synagogues tended to have God's word around on scrolls it's what they kinda do... bit like a library keeping books...

Isn't it wonderful that you can pretend all sorts of rubbish in order that your god can exist in your fantasy world.
This jesus dude was the son of a carpenter in a village that didn't actually exist, but you claim that he was taught by a priest of the jewish religion who just happened to live in a tiny villiage with some people who knew that he had the Holy Bible.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 4:06:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 3:36:24 PM, graceofgod wrote:
it says they marvelled knowledge and understanding, the fact he read the scroll rules out illiteracy......

It only mentions him reading it in Luke. That does not mean Mark, Matthew, Marcion, etc. did not write the story as if he was illiterate.

perhaps with luke being a doctor gave greater detail...

Oh, you are going off theology, not history. That explains the above.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 4:09:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 4:04:43 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 3:56:35 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 3:52:55 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 3:48:38 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 3:40:45 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:30:19 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:24:53 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:05:55 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/5/2015 1:01:48 PM, SNP1 wrote:
I think that this was either interpolated or is remenants of a story the author ripped off (if Jesus is said to be wtiting words).

The reason for this is because Jesus was purposely made to be illiterate in the gospel stories. The reason for this is so those he teaches to would wonder how he knew so much as he would not have gotten it from scripture, and thus affirm he was getting it from god.

if Jesus was illiterate how did he read the scroll in the synagogue "the spirit of the Lord is upon me...

I think you are talking about muhammered who was allegedly illiterate....

How did jesus learn to read the scriptures in a backwoods village, when the only copy of those scriptures existed in Jerusalem?
The only people who learned to read were those chosen by the Pharisees.
I guess there are lots of lies in that book.

yet in a small town like nazareth we are told they had a scroll of Isaiah.... odd that isn't it...lol

Can you supply some evidence of this claim?

the bible says so, luke 4 vs 16....

And who taught him to read that? And who was there to record it?

I assume his father taught him and everyone in the synagogue was there to hear it and see it.....

synagogues tended to have God's word around on scrolls it's what they kinda do... bit like a library keeping books...

Isn't it wonderful that you can pretend all sorts of rubbish in order that your god can exist in your fantasy world.
This jesus dude was the son of a carpenter in a village that didn't actually exist, but you claim that he was taught by a priest of the jewish religion who just happened to live in a tiny villiage with some people who knew that he had the Holy Bible.

pretend yeah, are you saying Nazareth did not exist??

are you saying synagogues did not exist??

http://www.edgewoodcoc.org... some info about synangogues ..

so you prtend nothing is real to defend you atheism..lol
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 4:11:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 4:06:45 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 8/5/2015 3:36:24 PM, graceofgod wrote:
it says they marvelled knowledge and understanding, the fact he read the scroll rules out illiteracy......

It only mentions him reading it in Luke. That does not mean Mark, Matthew, Marcion, etc. did not write the story as if he was illiterate.

perhaps with luke being a doctor gave greater detail...

Oh, you are going off theology, not history. That explains the above.

so you are saying by history, Jesus really existed as did the apostles well that's a start..

lol, you mean you got it wrong and are now back peddling madly so you don't look stupid...lol
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 4:14:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 3:56:35 PM, graceofgod wrote:
I assume his father taught him

Do you mean Joseph or god? Because how would Joseph have the knowledge to.teach him?

and everyone in the synagogue was there to hear it and see it.....

synagogues tended to have God's word around on scrolls it's what they kinda do... bit like a library keeping books...

Yes, but an extreme few would actually be able to read them. I dont think you quite understand the literacy of the people back then.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 4:17:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 4:14:09 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 8/5/2015 3:56:35 PM, graceofgod wrote:
I assume his father taught him

Do you mean Joseph or god? Because how would Joseph have the knowledge to.teach him?

and everyone in the synagogue was there to hear it and see it.....

synagogues tended to have God's word around on scrolls it's what they kinda do... bit like a library keeping books...

Yes, but an extreme few would actually be able to read them. I dont think you quite understand the literacy of the people back then.

we were not discussing an extreme few we were discussing Jesus, who clearly could read, he turned to the part he wanted to read and read it, he demon<x>started he could recognise what he wanted to read, where to find it and then read it, he was clearly not illiterate...
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 4:20:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 4:11:41 PM, graceofgod wrote:
so you are saying by history, Jesus really existed as did the apostles well that's a start..

Im assuming Jesus existed for the sake of argument, though I disagree with that conclusion.

lol, you mean you got it wrong and are now back peddling madly so you don't look stupid...lol

Not even close. I wasnt completely wrong, and it actually does make sense that Luke, if any, would have Jesys as literate (as it probably came after Mark, Matthew, Marcion, etc.).

What I meant by you going off of theology instead of history is you claiming Luke was written by Luke, which is a laughable idea at best. I also said that because the way you are talking is as if the gospels are independent accounts, which is even more laughable.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 4:23:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 4:17:09 PM, graceofgod wrote:
we were not discussing an extreme few we were discussing Jesus, who clearly could read, he turned to the part he wanted to read and read it, he demon<x>started he could recognise what he wanted to read, where to find it and then read it, he was clearly not illiterate...

If we assume Luke accurately accounts the life of Jesus, then you are correct. If we choose to be intellectually honest and look at the historical evidence that suggests otherwise, then you are clearly wrong.

Again, theology vs history.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO