Jump to topic:

Why try so hard to oppose religion?

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 4:40:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Alright atheists. It's time to come up with reasons why you would want to oppose religion. Some atheists will go out of their way to oppose religious beliefs every chance they get, but why?

I'll start:

1) If no one opposes belief, then belief becomes the norm.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 4:46:09 PM
6) Belief in a "higher/transcendental" good disposes one to ignore/discount those which ACTUALLY EXIST.

like how Mirza wouldn't naturally wish to Murder an Islamic apostate who speaks out against his religion... but he would pass such laws b/c his religion tells him to.

or how Augustine the Hippopotamus abandoned his Family and everything else he naturally found fulfilling when he fully converted.

or how Alex Hanson said he wouldn't wish to send ANYONE to hell... but that if God does it must be Good... and who is he to question God?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 4:49:10 PM
It irritates me when people are stuck in a mindset that is uncritical, blind, and emotionally attached to something that is demonstrably false, yet asserts it to be true.

Though, being a believer or religious person doesn't automatically mean you will act like the above. For example, if I could influence all the believers to be like William Lane Craig and Plantinga (Christian apologists/philosophers), then I would be more than happy.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 4:50:29 PM
At 8/27/2010 4:46:09 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
6) Belief in a "higher/transcendental" good disposes one to ignore/discount those which ACTUALLY EXIST.

basically making Douchey acts a lot more prevalent... and even excusable.

esp. b/c since there is no "higher" good... what people THINK constitute actions for a Higher Good are usually just actions pursuing silly delusions... and pursuing silly delusions doesn't too often line up with pursuing Actual Goods... and can just as easily line up with pursuing HORRENDOUS goals...

like Murder, Torture... and abandoning your family.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 4:57:09 PM
At 8/27/2010 4:43:46 PM, badger wrote:
3) if someone's coming at your cock with a scalpel.

What the...where did that...how, why? Is your girlfriend a surgeon?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:02:44 PM
At 8/27/2010 4:57:09 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

is it not a scalpel the jews use? whatever it is they circumsize with so. your sig is lousy.
signature
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:03:21 PM
Tullekrazy: religion: not saying....

do you Reeallly oppose religion.... or are you a double agent?

Metaphysics:
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:03:58 PM
At 8/27/2010 5:03:21 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

double agent i'd say.
signature
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:04:00 PM
At 8/27/2010 4:40:37 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
Alright atheists. It's time to come up with reasons why you would want to oppose religion. Some atheists will go out of their way to oppose religious beliefs every chance they get, but why?

I'll start:

7) We have a moral duty to save religious people from their self-righteous and illogical beliefs and guide them along the path of scientific understanding so that they are able to make sense of the world around them.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:05:09 PM
At 8/27/2010 5:04:00 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 8/27/2010 4:40:37 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:

I'll start:

7) We have a moral duty to save religious people from their self-righteous and illogical beliefs and guide them along the path of scientific understanding so that they are able to make sense of the world around them.

wanna help me write a science religion?
signature
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:05:11 PM
At 8/27/2010 5:02:44 PM, badger wrote:

is it not a scalpel the jews use? whatever it is they circumsize with so. your sig is lousy.

Yeah, poor taste, signature duly changed.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:20:03 PM
Because I believe religion to be harmful to the human race. When people think they are going to live for infinity in the loving arms of their god, it makes the one life they have here less important.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:26:29 PM

lol I'm an atheist. My sister has asked me this question in the past because I used to be vehement about it. "Why try so hard to disprove God?" and based on the context, I had replied "Because it affects our laws" (ie. gay marriage). But now that I'm a very passive atheist, I'm wondering what other reasons there may be to go out of my way to disregard other people's beliefs.

For example, yesterday, my mom came into my room to give me my birthday present and then asked if she could pray for me. Now this typically doesn't annoy me too much, so I let her do it. But then she started 'asking God' to make me believe in him and it really got on my nerves for a reason I can't explain. I want to see other people's thoughts so that I can articulate why...
whatledge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:41:20 PM
At 8/27/2010 5:26:29 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:

lol I'm an atheist. My sister has asked me this question in the past because I used to be vehement about it. "Why try so hard to disprove God?" and based on the context, I had replied "Because it affects our laws" (ie. gay marriage). But now that I'm a very passive atheist, I'm wondering what other reasons there may be to go out of my way to disregard other people's beliefs.

For example, yesterday, my mom came into my room to give me my birthday present and then asked if she could pray for me. Now this typically doesn't annoy me too much, so I let her do it. But then she started 'asking God' to make me believe in him and it really got on my nerves for a reason I can't explain. I want to see other people's thoughts so that I can articulate why...

It's because people rationalize and justify their actions with religion, which is fine up until they start demanding things be a certain way because "God" wants it to be.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:44:25 PM
At 8/27/2010 5:02:44 PM, badger wrote:

They had to use a chainsaw for me.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 6:52:39 PM
I like to question people's beliefs and see if they believe a certain way just because
1) They were raised that way
2) It makes them feel better about their life/death
3) Fit in/stand out
4) It makes them feel better than others

If any of the above is true then I tend to try to get them away from that mindset because no one needs that in their life, and there will be a point when it shatters and the longer you live your life for yourself the better.
I leave most religious people alone tho.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 8:18:03 PM
Reason whatever the **** we are on:
People try to establish religion as law, and try to integrate their personal beliefs into school systems, thus trying to indoctrinate/force everyone to believe their specific god/religion.
I miss the old members.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 8:22:16 PM
At 8/27/2010 8:18:03 PM, Atheism wrote:
People try to establish religion as law, and try to integrate their personal beliefs into school systems, thus trying to indoctrinate/force everyone to believe their specific god/religion.

Religion is fine, but keep it the f*ck out of politics.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 8:46:15 PM
At 8/27/2010 8:22:16 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

So then you no longer support Sharia?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 8:50:35 PM
At 8/27/2010 8:46:15 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
At 8/27/2010 8:22:16 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

So then you no longer support Sharia?

Since when did I support it?
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 8:54:48 PM

So then preaching on the internet and/or attacking and insulting any religious beliefs you encounter is the solution?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 8:56:44 PM
At 8/27/2010 5:26:29 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:

well there you go. when theists act like atheists are poor misguided children who need god to go tinker in their heads and fix em... well.... it makes atheists want to defend themselves.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 8:59:40 PM
At 8/27/2010 8:50:35 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Since when did I support it?

I seem to recall you saying a while ago that you would like to see some aspects of Sharia introduced into law here. Maybe you were joking or maybe it was back in your Marxist/Authoritarian/Communist Stalin-loving days :P