Jump to topic:

Prove God Exists? Let's Try It!

Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 6:39:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
1)If I brought God to where he was standing directly in front of you, would you believe it was him.
2)If he did some miracles would you believe or think he was an advanced alien?
3)Would unbelieving people find excuses to not believe no matter what?
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
bnrobertson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 8:17:39 PM
At 8/5/2015 6:39:41 PM, Sooner wrote:
1)If I brought God to where he was standing directly in front of you, would you believe it was him.
3)Would unbelieving people find excuses to not believe no matter what? : :

What's harder for God's people to believe is that our Creator is outside His creation and will never be seen by His characters. It's a good thing that He used characters called prophets and saints to teach us that He exists and how He created everything. He has also used us saints to teach us about the future and that we'll all understand His voice in Paradise. His voice is "David" in this prophecy;

Ezekiel 37
24: "My servant David shall be king over them; and they shall all have one shepherd. They shall follow my ordinances and be careful to observe my statutes.
25: They shall dwell in the land where your fathers dwelt that I gave to my servant Jacob; they and their children and their children's children shall dwell there for ever; and David my servant shall be their prince for ever.
26: I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them; and I will bless them and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in the midst of them for evermore.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 8:54:33 PM
At 8/5/2015 8:17:39 PM, bnrobertson wrote:

What's harder for God's people to believe is that our Creator is outside His creation and will never be seen by His characters. It's a good thing that He used characters called prophets and saints to teach us that He exists and how He created everything. He has also used us saints to teach us about the future and that we'll all understand His voice in Paradise. His voice is "David" in this prophecy;

So His voice is not Brad Holkesvig. I knew Brad was lying when he said he was the voice of God.
Ezekiel 37
24: "My servant David shall be king over them; and they shall all have one shepherd. They shall follow my ordinances and be careful to observe my statutes.
25: They shall dwell in the land where your fathers dwelt that I gave to my servant Jacob; they and their children and their children's children shall dwell there for ever; and David my servant shall be their prince for ever.
26: I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them; and I will bless them and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in the midst of them for evermore.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 8:56:58 PM

All moot points since your God has never chosen to actually show himself.
TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 8:57:03 PM

Prove God doesn't exist? Let's Try It!
bnrobertson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 8:59:34 PM
At 8/5/2015 8:54:33 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 8/5/2015 8:17:39 PM, bnrobertson wrote:

So His voice is not Brad Holkesvig. I knew Brad was lying when he said he was the voice of God. : :

That's correct. The voice of Brad Holkesvig can be heard when he's talking about his experiences in this world as an alcoholic, farmer, musician, construction contractor, husband, father, grandfather and all his memories in this world.

The voice of God is heard by God's created people who are invisible to the flesh of man. We will all hear His voice in Paradise when we wake up in flesh that we know are only illusions. We will never be deceived by what we perceive with our senses in Paradise like we all did in this world.

Ezekiel 37
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 8:59:40 PM
At 8/5/2015 8:57:03 PM, TheWORDisLIFE wrote:

You cannot logically prove a negative. I have an invisible, wish granting leprechaun living under a toadstool in my back yard. Prove he doesn't exist. Same as your God.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 9:07:35 PM

I don't know. Is there some sort of 'God aura' surrounding him or does he look like an ordinary human/material being? Does he speak or am I just able to look at him? What god is he supposed to be - a deistic god or a god of religion?

I don't know. After all, sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

No, of course not, but I would approach it skeptically. An absentee landlord should forgive me verifying who he is before I give him my rent money.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 9:10:04 PM

1) "Yes."
2) "Yes." (But He already did a Mirical for me when He Saved me. the vision He gave me, burning the curtain for symbolizing the Tearing of the Temple Veil was a full on miracle. Ive seen others since also.

3) yes,,there are some lost souls who are just too far gone to accept God even if He was to show them a miracle. these are the kind of people I pray for every single night before I go to sleep.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
bnrobertson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 9:14:45 PM
At 8/5/2015 9:10:04 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

1) "Yes."
2) "Yes." (But He already did a Mirical for me when He Saved me. the vision He gave me, burning the curtain for symbolizing the Tearing of the Temple Veil was a full on miracle. Ive seen others since also.

3) yes,,there are some lost souls who are just too far gone to accept God even if He was to show them a miracle. these are the kind of people I pray for every single night before I go to sleep. : :

Instead of proudly praying for others. You should pray the Lord's Prayer to forgive others who trespass against you. Then pray for the Holy Spirit ( God's thoughts ) who can teach you everything that He has taught me and the rest of us saints. He will guide you to His gospel that I've been preaching to His chosen believers but only if He actually chose you as one of His strong believers. A doubting Thomas is what I call a weak believer who doesn't trust the voice of the Lord.
Talkingisfun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 9:17:32 PM

Nope, I could definitely be convinced. However, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. A simple miracle won't do, because there would most likely be more probable cause.
However, if you could bring god in front of me and he could create things from a vaccuum, revive animals that have been dead for a long while, or at least a few things of that calibre, I would be convinced.

(I would of course require independent sources of my own choosing to verify that the vaccuum is an actual vaccuum, the animal is actually dead, etcetera)

All in all, just give me some extraordinary evidence, and I would accept the theory of god.
"Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught"
-Winston Churchill
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 9:23:48 PM

1) "Yes."

3) yes,,there are some lost souls who are just too far gone to accept God even if He was to show them a miracle.

What miracle, exactly? How about if God revealed Himself to the world? That would be a pretty convincing miracle, don't ya think?

these are the kind of people I pray for every single night before I go to sleep.

LOL. Do you kneel by the side of your bed with eyes shut and hands clasped, as well?

Funny stuff, SoM.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
sheskew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 9:33:01 PM

I could actually go without his physical appearance, if the miracles he worked were genuinely impossible. A deep booming voice saying "I AM!" while working the miracles really would be pretty impressive, especially if I could record the audio to demonstrate to others that the voice occurred and wasn't just my wishful thinking or mental disorder. However, I'd have some serious questions for him before I'd accept him at his claims.

Let's go ahead and do an experiment! I think three miracles, objectively observable to anyone, in rapid succession that clearly violate the known laws of physics ought to be considered too much to be ascribed to mere coincidence.

1) My left rear molar broke apart several years ago and I haven't been able to afford dental replacement. Please pray for the miraculous restoration of my tooth by materializing a new one in my mouth. This violates the conservation of matter and should be considered miraculous.

2) My wife suffers from severe and chronic asthma and takes several medications to avoid suffocating to death. Doctors tell us that the very best possibility for her recovery is a 5-6 year sequence of biweekly injections, and that this will merely reduce her symptoms. The God of the Christian Bible should be able to immediately heal her so that she can stop taking her meds -- instant recovery from her condition would demonstrate Godly compassion and couldn't possibly originate from any of the meds she's currently taking. Please pray and let me know when she can stop her meds. Kindly make sure about this before you do -- I'd really rather not rely on paramedics to save her life again, and her last major episode was a VERY close call.

3) We are advised that faith can move mountains. And really it makes sense that anyone who can create galaxies at will shouldn't have trouble with a pile of rock much smaller than any planet. Even the largest mountain is a imperceptible speck compared to a galaxy. Please pray for the miraculous transport of Mount Everest to the moon. Ask God to put it in the middle of one of the craters that face the Earth so we can verify its new location with telescopes. Hopefully God will also transport anyone currently on the mountain to a safe location so they don't suffocate to death in the vacuum of space.

After God works these miracles within a reasonable length of time -- say, before lunchtime today, then speaks to me to take credit for his actions, I'd believe he exists. Doubting him wouldn't be reasonable. However, I'd have a LOT of questions to ask him before I'd decide he was worthy of worship. Many of the acts ascribed to Yahweh are monstrous, evil, and inhuman. If he admits to having done these things, he'd definitely need to account for his past behavior. I will not venerate an evil being, no matter how powerful he is.
joetheripper117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 9:54:21 PM

If you could prove that it was him, then I would believe it was him.

It depends on the miracle really. Please give an example so that I can give a better response.

No. I would not find an excuse to not believe in a god if a god's existence was proven.

As a side note, your series of questions does nothing to prove the existence of God, as the thread's title implies that it will.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 10:09:03 PM

Sooner, 1) and 2) represent a problem with your premise, not with critical thought.

The claims about the god of Abraham are so nebulous, overweening, contradictory and impossible to substantiate, that you cannot 'put God' in front of anyone. The most you could do is offer a metaphysical agency and assert that it's the god of Abraham. But how would you demonstrate that it's:

1) unique?
2) truthful?
3) intimately entwined with the sociopolitical and ideological history of the Ancient Near East?
4) the sole creator of the universe?
5) the sole legitimate moral authority of the universe, or indeed any moral authority at all?

One doesn't need excuses to disbelieve those claims, since one need only ask how you could possibly demonstrate them without first explaining precisely what on earth they actually mean.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 11:13:12 PM
1) You wouldn't know you are looking into "god's" eyes.

2) I once healed a friend that was overdosing. Was very trippy. We all knew we should take him to the hospital. I just got this feeling, and energy flow, and a thought to tell every one to get out of the room. He was throwing up blood every 5-10 minutes. When everyone left the room, i told myself if this doesn't work i have to drive him to the hospital. I waited, he threw up two more times and i went up and just touched his head. I felt the energy go from me to him. You can see a calming on his face...he stopped throwing up. Very weird ... but, hmm ... i did it. Does that mean i am god?

3) The only reason i don't believe in fantasy is to remind myself i am here. I am living a human experience and i should live it like this is my only life ... however, i am quite sure this isn't our only life ... well, you know that.
bnrobertson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 11:17:50 PM
At 8/5/2015 11:13:12 PM, Outplayz wrote:

2) I once healed a friend that was overdosing. Was very trippy. We all knew we should take him to the hospital. I just got this feeling, and energy flow, and a thought to tell every one to get out of the room. He was throwing up blood every 5-10 minutes. When everyone left the room, i told myself if this doesn't work i have to drive him to the hospital. I waited, he threw up two more times and i went up and just touched his head. I felt the energy go from me to him. You can see a calming on his face...he stopped throwing up. Very weird ... but, hmm ... i did it. Does that mean i am god?

3) The only reason i don't believe in fantasy is to remind myself i am here. I am living a human experience and i should live it like this is my only life ... however, i am quite sure this isn't our only life ... well, you know that. : :

I loved hearing your testimony about the healing that occurred with your friend. That miracle was for you to observe to get to take our Creator seriously. Does your friend believe it was a miracle from God?

I experienced miracles with my family and none of them saw it as a miracle. It's awesome how our Creator can control that.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 11:24:04 PM
At 8/5/2015 11:17:50 PM, bnrobertson wrote:

3) The only reason i don't believe in fantasy is to remind myself i am here. I am living a human experience and i should live it like this is my only life ... however, i am quite sure this isn't our only life ... well, you know that. : :

I loved hearing your testimony about the healing that occurred with your friend. That miracle was for you to observe to get to take our Creator seriously. Does your friend believe it was a miracle from God?

I experienced miracles with my family and none of them saw it as a miracle. It's awesome how our Creator can control that.

He was just shocked. Everyone was, we though he's dying. Men crying all around me, my friends. I don't know what happened truly ... it still amazes me thinking about it. I have had a lot of supernatural experiences. I have scientific mind, but it is so hard to brush everything as coincidence. I mean, sure ... this story could have been just coincidence, if it was ... i am a human of many coincidences. But, remember ... i think i am my own creator. I think my higher power is the source of my immortality. All of this can be tracked back to just one ... but, i don't think the first source is monitoring any other source ... i believe there are many gods now. I believe our free will wasn't recently granted as humans. I think our free will was granted from the first source, we've had it since our creation, our immortality.
bnrobertson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 11:28:36 PM
At 8/5/2015 11:24:04 PM, Outplayz wrote:

He was just shocked. Everyone was, we though he's dying. Men crying all around me, my friends. I don't know what happened truly ... it still amazes me thinking about it. I have had a lot of supernatural experiences. I have scientific mind, but it is so hard to brush everything as coincidence. I mean, sure ... this story could have been just coincidence, if it was ... i am a human of many coincidences. But, remember ... i think i am my own creator. I think my higher power is the source of my immortality. All of this can be tracked back to just one ... but, i don't think the first source is monitoring any other source ... i believe there are many gods now. I believe our free will wasn't recently granted as humans. I think our free will was granted from the first source, we've had it since our creation, our immortality. : :

I will never put you down for what you're thinking my friend. We all were birthed into this world as very confused people who slowly learned the lies that we were observing and experiencing with our senses.

If you had free will, then you should be able to do anything you desire. However, the flesh is totally controlled by our Creator's program and all the thoughts we get while living in that flesh is our true created existence that can't control the flesh at all. Ask anyone who is enslaved to addictions why they can't stop.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 11:46:38 PM
At 8/5/2015 11:28:36 PM, bnrobertson wrote:
At 8/5/2015 11:24:04 PM, Outplayz wrote:

He was just shocked. Everyone was, we though he's dying. Men crying all around me, my friends. I don't know what happened truly ... it still amazes me thinking about it. I have had a lot of supernatural experiences. I have scientific mind, but it is so hard to brush everything as coincidence. I mean, sure ... this story could have been just coincidence, if it was ... i am a human of many coincidences. But, remember ... i think i am my own creator. I think my higher power is the source of my immortality. All of this can be tracked back to just one ... but, i don't think the first source is monitoring any other source ... i believe there are many gods now. I believe our free will wasn't recently granted as humans. I think our free will was granted from the first source, we've had it since our creation, our immortality. : :

I will never put you down for what you're thinking my friend. We all were birthed into this world as very confused people who slowly learned the lies that we were observing and experiencing with our senses.

If you had free will, then you should be able to do anything you desire. However, the flesh is totally controlled by our Creator's program and all the thoughts we get while living in that flesh is our true created existence that can't control the flesh at all. Ask anyone who is enslaved to addictions why they can't stop.

Funny you bring up addictions, for i had to battle that demon. I won ;) . . . To be honest, i remember when i was young. I remember it pretty vividly actually. Of course there can be misplaced memories ... i don't doubt science, but i haven't changed. At least my identity. I remember how i always thought i was immortal, more than just human. I had many experiences that i can recall. My point is we are all the characters we are in this world. I use a video game analogy to describe this. If i am playing one game, i can pick the perks, weapons, character and platform. Yet, this doesn't mean i cannot pick a different platform, different weapons, perks, character. In the end, it is me controlling the character ... i am the one that gives it life. I correlate that to my higher power. However, my higher power is much more advanced than my human self. I believe it is always with me pushing me to what i need to do here. This is just one platform. I honestly don't study religions. But, when people tell me about there religion ... all characters correlate. We have no idea how right we are, yet it is our egos that get in the way of finding one path. We are all right. If you look at everyone as characters that are their own higher power, things become interesting imho. Imagine people coming from all worlds to live a human experience. Of course one would be protective of their belief bc that is what they are. For instance you may have came from a world like "heaven," but that doesn't i can't come from a world that fits my character. It is all within self-awareness. The more you know who you are spiritually and physically, the more powerful you become. This is also testable in my opinion, but it is also common sense. Funny thing is everything in my view that is testable, is also common sense lol.
TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:41:57 AM
At 8/5/2015 8:59:40 PM, dhardage wrote:

You cannot logically prove a negative. I have an invisible, wish granting leprechaun living under a toadstool in my back yard. Prove he doesn't exist. Same as your God.

That's my point; there is no physical hard evidence to prove that the God of Israel does not exist.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 1:50:01 AM
saying "I AM!" while working the miracles really would be pretty impressive, especially if I could record the audio to demonstrate to others that the voice occurred and wasn't just my wishful thinking or mental disorder.

-----
What do you think they would really think the audio was of?
sheskew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 2:01:46 AM
At 8/6/2015 1:50:01 AM, Sooner wrote:
saying "I AM!" while working the miracles really would be pretty impressive, especially if I could record the audio to demonstrate to others that the voice occurred and wasn't just my wishful thinking or mental disorder.

-----
What do you think they would really think the audio was of?

That depends. Who is the "they" that we're talking about, and what is the context of this hypothetical conversation I'm having with "them"?
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 2:07:06 AM

If you presented actual, empirical evidence and verifiable data about god's existence, I would believe. But until than, I won't.
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 2:21:03 AM

What's harder for God's people to believe is that our Creator is outside His creation and will never be seen by His characters. It's a good thing that He used characters called prophets and saints to teach us that He exists and how He created everything.

---
People say they would believe if he would speak or do miracles, but in the day of advanced technology, special effects, and well trained magicians, would it simply be brushed off and explained away?
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 2:22:52 AM
At 8/5/2015 8:56:58 PM, dhardage wrote:

All moot points since your God has never chosen to actually show himself.

-----
Prove it.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 2:30:25 AM

----
That would be impossible because you do have a leprechaun.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 2:41:18 AM
At 8/5/2015 9:23:48 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

1) "Yes."

3) yes,,there are some lost souls who are just too far gone to accept God even if He was to show them a miracle.

What miracle, exactly? How about if God revealed Himself to the world? That would be a pretty convincing miracle, don't ya think?

these are the kind of people I pray for every single night before I go to sleep.

LOL. Do you kneel by the side of your bed with eyes shut and hands clasped, as well?

Funny stuff, SoM.

MAF...actually sometimes I do. not always though. sometimes I just do it while laying in bed and I got this sort of funny personal habit where sometimes I'll pull the covers over my head and tuck the top end behind my head, between it and the pillow to make a srot of cocoon. it makes it seem isolated like its only me and God in there. of course I usually pray a few times during the day, anywhere anytime but when I do this I don't kneel. my daytime quickie prayers are usually from when I catch myself sinning an ask for Forgiveness.
and yes I will pray again for you tonight, My angry friend. you dont have to believe this. but it might help you reap the benefits if you did. recall my offer, wager.
and please, really, Im not the Som dude. your being silly.
But...God Bless.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 2:43:18 AM
At 8/5/2015 9:07:35 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

I don't know. Is there some sort of 'God aura' surrounding him or does he look like an ordinary human/material being? Does he speak or am I just able to look at him? What god is he supposed to be - a deistic god or a god of religion?

I don't know. After all, sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

No, of course not, but I would approach it skeptically. An absentee landlord should forgive me verifying who he is before I give him my rent money.

And He expects this. doesn't like it, but accepts it. I just hope you know your Reward for only coming to HIm after proof will be much less than it would if you had shown Faith before getting your precious proof. Know that, my brother.
God Bless.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 2:45:50 AM

that's a very tired old metaphor, brother. Carl Sagan used a version of it 20 years ago. did you know he confessed to God and converted on his deathbed? alas, it was too late for him, since he had spoken against the Holy Spirit for his hole life Im sure God wasnt buying what Carl was selling at the last minute.
Dont make the same mistake!

God Bless.