Total Posts:216|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Only a fool says there is no God

UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 11:45:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
~~~~
God

capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as
a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
~~~~
Being

a : the quality or state of having existence
b (1) : something conceivable as existing (2) : something that actually exists (3) : the totality of existing things
c : conscious existence : life

~~~~
Perfect

a : being entirely without fault or defect : flawless
b : satisfying all requirements : accurate
c : corresponding to an ideal standard or abstract concept
d : faithfully reproducing the original; specifically : letter-perfect
e : legally valid

~~~~
Power

a : physical might
b : mental or moral efficacy
c : political control or influence

~~~~
Wisdom

a : accumulated philosophic or scientific learning : knowledge
b : ability to discern inner qualities and relationships : insight
c : good sense : judgment

~~~~
Worship

extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem

~~~~
Incorporeal

Having no material body or form

~~~~
Principle

a : a comprehensive and fundamental law, doctrine, or assumption
b (1) : a rule or code of conduct (2) : habitual devotion to right principles
c : the laws or facts of nature underlying the working of an artificial device

~~~~
Ultimate

a : basic, fundamental <the ultimate nature of things " A. N. Whitehead>
b : original 1 <the ultimate source>
c : incapable of further analysis, division, or separation

~~~~
Supreme

Highest in degree or quality

~~~~
Reality

The quality or state of being real

~~~~
Real

a : not artificial, fraudulent, or illusory : genuine <real gold>; also : being precisely what the name implies
b (1) : occurring or existing in actuality <saw a real live celebrity> (2) : of or relating to practical or everyday concerns or activities <left school to live in the real world> (3) : existing as a physical entity and having properties that deviate from an ideal, law, or standard " compare ideal 3b
c : having objective independent existence <unable to believe that what he saw was real>
d : fundamental, essential
e (1) : belonging to or having elements or components that belong to the set of real numbers <the real roots of an equation> (2) : concerned with or containing real numbers <real analysis> (3) : real-valued <real variable>
f : measured by purchasing power <real income> <real dollars>
g : complete, utter
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
sheskew
Posts: 117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 11:53:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 11:45:31 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

Incorporeal
Having no material body or form

Real
c : having objective independent existence

Problem: How would you determine that an incorporeal entity was real?
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 11:57:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 11:45:31 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
~~~~
God

capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as
a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
~~~~
Being

a : the quality or state of having existence
b (1) : something conceivable as existing (2) : something that actually exists (3) : the totality of existing things
c : conscious existence : life

~~~~
Perfect

a : being entirely without fault or defect : flawless
b : satisfying all requirements : accurate
c : corresponding to an ideal standard or abstract concept
d : faithfully reproducing the original; specifically : letter-perfect
e : legally valid

~~~~
Power

a : physical might
b : mental or moral efficacy
c : political control or influence

~~~~
Wisdom

a : accumulated philosophic or scientific learning : knowledge
b : ability to discern inner qualities and relationships : insight
c : good sense : judgment

~~~~
Worship

extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem

~~~~
Incorporeal

Having no material body or form

~~~~
Principle

a : a comprehensive and fundamental law, doctrine, or assumption
b (1) : a rule or code of conduct (2) : habitual devotion to right principles
c : the laws or facts of nature underlying the working of an artificial device

~~~~
Ultimate

a : basic, fundamental <the ultimate nature of things " A. N. Whitehead>
b : original 1 <the ultimate source>
c : incapable of further analysis, division, or separation

~~~~
Supreme

Highest in degree or quality

~~~~
Reality

The quality or state of being real

~~~~
Real

a : not artificial, fraudulent, or illusory : genuine <real gold>; also : being precisely what the name implies
b (1) : occurring or existing in actuality <saw a real live celebrity> (2) : of or relating to practical or everyday concerns or activities <left school to live in the real world> (3) : existing as a physical entity and having properties that deviate from an ideal, law, or standard " compare ideal 3b
c : having objective independent existence <unable to believe that what he saw was real>
d : fundamental, essential
e (1) : belonging to or having elements or components that belong to the set of real numbers <the real roots of an equation> (2) : concerned with or containing real numbers <real analysis> (3) : real-valued <real variable>
f : measured by purchasing power <real income> <real dollars>
g : complete, utter

Thank you, Websters, for the list of definitions, but if you notice the underlined bold words, you'll see exactly where your God fails to pass the minimal requirements.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:01:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 11:53:34 PM, sheskew wrote:
At 8/5/2015 11:45:31 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

Incorporeal
Having no material body or form

Real
c : having objective independent existence

Problem: How would you determine that an incorporeal entity was real?

The idea of truth having a material body or form is kind of absurd.

The closest thing we have is language, but language really only points to something that stands on its own.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
joetheripper117
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:06:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 11:45:31 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
~~~~
God

capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as
a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
~~~~
Being

a : the quality or state of having existence
b (1) : something conceivable as existing (2) : something that actually exists (3) : the totality of existing things
c : conscious existence : life

~~~~
Perfect

a : being entirely without fault or defect : flawless
b : satisfying all requirements : accurate
c : corresponding to an ideal standard or abstract concept
d : faithfully reproducing the original; specifically : letter-perfect
e : legally valid

~~~~
Power

a : physical might
b : mental or moral efficacy
c : political control or influence

~~~~
Wisdom

a : accumulated philosophic or scientific learning : knowledge
b : ability to discern inner qualities and relationships : insight
c : good sense : judgment

~~~~
Worship

extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem

~~~~
Incorporeal

Having no material body or form

~~~~
Principle

a : a comprehensive and fundamental law, doctrine, or assumption
b (1) : a rule or code of conduct (2) : habitual devotion to right principles
c : the laws or facts of nature underlying the working of an artificial device

~~~~
Ultimate

a : basic, fundamental <the ultimate nature of things " A. N. Whitehead>
b : original 1 <the ultimate source>
c : incapable of further analysis, division, or separation

~~~~
Supreme

Highest in degree or quality

~~~~
Reality

The quality or state of being real

~~~~
Real

a : not artificial, fraudulent, or illusory : genuine <real gold>; also : being precisely what the name implies
b (1) : occurring or existing in actuality <saw a real live celebrity> (2) : of or relating to practical or everyday concerns or activities <left school to live in the real world> (3) : existing as a physical entity and having properties that deviate from an ideal, law, or standard " compare ideal 3b
c : having objective independent existence <unable to believe that what he saw was real>
d : fundamental, essential
e (1) : belonging to or having elements or components that belong to the set of real numbers <the real roots of an equation> (2) : concerned with or containing real numbers <real analysis> (3) : real-valued <real variable>
f : measured by purchasing power <real income> <real dollars>
g : complete, utter

Defining a bunch of words does not work as an argument.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:08:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 12:06:57 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
Defining a bunch of words does not work as an argument.

In this case, it most certainly does.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
sheskew
Posts: 117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:14:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 12:01:50 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
The idea of truth having a material body or form is kind of absurd.
The closest thing we have is language, but language really only points to something that stands on its own.

I'm not sure I see where you're coming from. Truth is an abstract concept, a way of analyzing a statement. The Abrahamic God is not depicted as a measurement tool or an idea, but as a self-aware entity. Can you clarify, please?

Language has a material body. When written, it is an arrangement of molecules on a page. When spoken, it is an arrangement of molecules in the air. When expressed as silent thoughts, it is an arrangement of molecules in the brain.
joetheripper117
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:23:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 12:08:48 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:06:57 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
Defining a bunch of words does not work as an argument.

In this case, it most certainly does.

Please do me the honor of explaining how those definitions proved that those who say there is no God are fools.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:26:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 12:14:15 AM, sheskew wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:01:50 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
The idea of truth having a material body or form is kind of absurd.
The closest thing we have is language, but language really only points to something that stands on its own.

I'm not sure I see where you're coming from. Truth is an abstract concept, a way of analyzing a statement. The Abrahamic God is not depicted as a measurement tool or an idea, but as a self-aware entity. Can you clarify, please?

Language has a material body. When written, it is an arrangement of molecules on a page. When spoken, it is an arrangement of molecules in the air. When expressed as silent thoughts, it is an arrangement of molecules in the brain.

When Moses was asked what God he spoke for, he said, what commonly gets translated into "I am that I am". Another way of saying "Existence itself", "Actuality", or "The way things are". Jewish Theologians tend to be very educated in their religion, and they all understand what God is supposed to represent. The Truth.

It's practically repeated ad nausea throughout the entire Qur'an that this is what God is supposed to represent.

This understanding of God is not even just limited to the Abrahamic faiths, though it does include them.

It's really easy to get hung up on the personification of deity, but these are just ways of describing things. Scripture tends to be more lucid if you are raised in the culture that it arose in. That said, as displaced as we are today from the origins of these scriptures, it is still possible to understand them.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:27:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 12:23:16 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:08:48 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:06:57 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
Defining a bunch of words does not work as an argument.

In this case, it most certainly does.

Please do me the honor of explaining how those definitions proved that those who say there is no God are fools.

No
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:29:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 12:16:43 AM, TBR wrote:
How is this an argument for anything?

Read the definition of the word "God".

Now, read the definitions of the other words.

Figure it out.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
joetheripper117
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:43:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 12:27:50 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:23:16 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:08:48 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:06:57 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
Defining a bunch of words does not work as an argument.

In this case, it most certainly does.

Please do me the honor of explaining how those definitions proved that those who say there is no God are fools.

No

Generally, if you want to convince someone of something, answering questions helps, rather then just leaving a mess of definitions and leaving it at that.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
Electric-Eccentric
Posts: 1,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:44:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If we look at God as the scriptures describe we would find that God is simply LIFE and ALL else.

God is so called mother nature, father time and I AM god also.

the UPPER case and lower case is a man made status and ear tag system.

God with a upper case G is much the same as calling a garbage man a sanitation engineer.

Just fancy things for fancy people.

so it would seem to be very TRUE that only a self deceived fool would believe in invisible God's that do special magic tricks in THEORY as no one seems to have any proof of the make believe and pretend things in scripture such as talking animals and raising dead corpses from the grave and other make believe and pretend that only a self deceived fool would believe was True or happened just because it's written in a book.

There are many that believe that books like harry potter and such are true in story as magic & tricks seems to excite lazy daydreaming fools of denial , confusion and doubts.

there is LIFE and there is ALL else. That is the god with a little g as the God with the BIG G is just a popular concept that superstitious people seem to require.

so i am god as I know who i am and what is important and what is not.

why do I tease you kids?

because i am and you are not,lol...
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
joetheripper117
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:47:46 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 12:29:57 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:16:43 AM, TBR wrote:
How is this an argument for anything?

Read the definition of the word "God".

Now, read the definitions of the other words.

Figure it out.

Unicorns:
A horse with a horn

Horse:
A solid-hoofed plant-eating domesticated mammal with a flowing mane and tail, used for riding, racing, and to carry and pull loads

Horn:
A hard permanent outgrowth, often curved and pointed, found in pairs on the heads of cattle, sheep, goats, giraffes, etc., and consisting of a core of bone encased in keratinized skin.

Are you convinced that unicorns exist?
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:48:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 12:43:41 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:27:50 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:23:16 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:08:48 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:06:57 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
Defining a bunch of words does not work as an argument.

In this case, it most certainly does.

Please do me the honor of explaining how those definitions proved that those who say there is no God are fools.

No

Generally, if you want to convince someone of something, answering questions helps, rather then just leaving a mess of definitions and leaving it at that.

I don't really care if anyone is convinced.

Look at the definition of the word "God". Look at the other definitions, and how they relate to that word.

I mean really, what do you want me to say? It's right there.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:48:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 12:47:46 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:29:57 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:16:43 AM, TBR wrote:
How is this an argument for anything?

Read the definition of the word "God".

Now, read the definitions of the other words.

Figure it out.


Unicorns:
A horse with a horn

Horse:
A solid-hoofed plant-eating domesticated mammal with a flowing mane and tail, used for riding, racing, and to carry and pull loads

Horn:
A hard permanent outgrowth, often curved and pointed, found in pairs on the heads of cattle, sheep, goats, giraffes, etc., and consisting of a core of bone encased in keratinized skin.

Are you convinced that unicorns exist?

Try harder
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
joetheripper117
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:51:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 12:48:51 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:47:46 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:29:57 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:16:43 AM, TBR wrote:
How is this an argument for anything?

Read the definition of the word "God".

Now, read the definitions of the other words.

Figure it out.


Unicorns:
A horse with a horn

Horse:
A solid-hoofed plant-eating domesticated mammal with a flowing mane and tail, used for riding, racing, and to carry and pull loads

Horn:
A hard permanent outgrowth, often curved and pointed, found in pairs on the heads of cattle, sheep, goats, giraffes, etc., and consisting of a core of bone encased in keratinized skin.

Are you convinced that unicorns exist?

Try harder

Explain to me why your "argument" proves God exists, but mine doesn't prove unicorns do.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
Fly
Posts: 2,045
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 12:53:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Pit that against the "Epicurean Paradox":

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?"
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 1:02:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 12:29:57 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:16:43 AM, TBR wrote:
How is this an argument for anything?

Read the definition of the word "God".

Now, read the definitions of the other words.

Figure it out.

The only definition that fits God is incorporeal, but that could easily be indistinguishable from non-existent.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 1:02:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 12:51:44 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:48:51 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:47:46 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:29:57 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:16:43 AM, TBR wrote:
How is this an argument for anything?

Read the definition of the word "God".

Now, read the definitions of the other words.

Figure it out.


Unicorns:
A horse with a horn

Horse:
A solid-hoofed plant-eating domesticated mammal with a flowing mane and tail, used for riding, racing, and to carry and pull loads

Horn:
A hard permanent outgrowth, often curved and pointed, found in pairs on the heads of cattle, sheep, goats, giraffes, etc., and consisting of a core of bone encased in keratinized skin.

Are you convinced that unicorns exist?

Try harder

Explain to me why your "argument" proves God exists, but mine doesn't prove unicorns do.

God is defined in such a way that it is impossible for God not to exist.

An atheist is someone who is saying, "There is no such thing as truth". They either don't understand what "God" is supposed to represent, they mistake representations of reality for reality, they are lying, or they have severe theophobia. Real deal atheists who actually understand what that means do not deserve to be taken seriously.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 1:06:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 1:02:00 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:29:57 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:16:43 AM, TBR wrote:
How is this an argument for anything?

Read the definition of the word "God".

Now, read the definitions of the other words.

Figure it out.

The only definition that fits God is incorporeal, but that could easily be indistinguishable from non-existent.

If you define something to have certain qualities, it must have those qualities.

But by all means, use your own personal made up dictionary. Live in your own little deluded world, and keep trolling people with your solipsistic masturbation.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 1:13:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 1:06:51 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 1:02:00 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:29:57 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 12:16:43 AM, TBR wrote:
How is this an argument for anything?

Read the definition of the word "God".

Now, read the definitions of the other words.

Figure it out.

The only definition that fits God is incorporeal, but that could easily be indistinguishable from non-existent.


If you define something to have certain qualities, it must have those qualities.

That is not true at all, we don't decide what qualities to define something, reality decides that for us. Reality has never shown us any gods.

But by all means, use your own personal made up dictionary.

I'm using your definitions.

Live in your own little deluded world, and keep trolling people with your solipsistic masturbation.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 1:16:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 1:13:04 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
I'm using your definitions.

God

The Ultimate or Supreme Reality.

Deal with it.

Now I'm back to ignoring you again.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 1:20:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 1:16:09 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 1:13:04 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
I'm using your definitions.


God

The Ultimate or Supreme Reality.


Deal with it.

I would be glad to deal with it if there were actually something to deal with other than some copied definitions on a forum.

If you say God is the "Supreme Reality", then that is a reality we have no access, we have only access to our reality, the one we all share, the one that has not shown us any gods, ultimate, supreme or otherwise.

Now I'm back to ignoring you again.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
joetheripper117
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 1:22:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 1:16:09 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 1:13:04 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
I'm using your definitions.


God

The Ultimate or Supreme Reality.


Deal with it.

Now I'm back to ignoring you again

So because dictionary.com has chosen to define God in a very vague way, therefore that is the only acceptable definition? I could just as easily find several definitions of God that are NOT the ultimate or supreme reality.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 1:29:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 1:22:32 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 8/6/2015 1:16:09 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/6/2015 1:13:04 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
I'm using your definitions.


God

The Ultimate or Supreme Reality.


Deal with it.

Now I'm back to ignoring you again

So because dictionary.com has chosen to define God in a very vague way, therefore that is the only acceptable definition? I could just as easily find several definitions of God that are NOT the ultimate or supreme reality.

This is the theological understanding of the word, and as long as you aren't using it, you are debating a straw man.

And no, the dictionary I'm using is Merriam Webster. The definition is not vague. It's very lucid.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 1:45:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 12:53:25 AM, Fly wrote:
Pit that against the "Epicurean Paradox":

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?"

Truly, the fall of man took place the moment he thought he was the rightful judge of what is good and evil.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 2:43:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 11:45:31 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:

You can't define your god into existence.

Also, your definitions have nothing to do with the title of your thread...
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 2:51:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 2:43:31 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
You can't define your god into existence.

Also, your definitions have nothing to do with the title of your thread...

I'm not defining anything, these are the proper definitions. God doesn't need defining to exist.

And yes, the definitions do have something to do with the title of my thread.

If you understand what the concept means, you very clearly are a fool to deny God.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer