Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Prove God doesn't exist?

Sooner
Posts: 1,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 4:19:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
No ill motives meant by this thread. Just a question meant for debate and communication. I am not an Atheist, but I do feel that the free people of the world whether Athiest, Agnostic, or Creationist to find unity to protect freedom.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 4:24:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 4:19:27 AM, Sooner wrote:
No ill motives meant by this thread. Just a question meant for debate and communication. I am not an Atheist, but I do feel that the free people of the world whether Athiest, Agnostic, or Creationist to find unity to protect freedom.

What does that mean?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 4:38:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
You can't prove that something doesn't exist.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 4:46:37 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well, pardon me, that was way too general.

You can't prove that God doesn't exist. God is defined to exist.

It's like trying to prove that there is no such thing as truth. It's kind of an absurd thing to do.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
sheskew
Posts: 117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 5:05:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Impossible. God is not assigned any consistent set of observable attributes. Thus, you cannot test to see if they can be observed.

Now, the Bible does describe a set of behaviors we can expect from God. He should answer prayers, smite blasphemers, provide inerrant truth, and maintain a church that follows a consistent set of best practices concerning morality and behavior. As he does none of these things, one can reasonably conclude that the Bible is mistaken about him. I am much less familiar with the Talmud and the Koran, but if all three books suffer from similar false predictions about his behavior, one could conclude that he does not exist since no reputable source is able to make any correct predictions about how he is and what he does.
Sooner
Posts: 1,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 6:01:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 4:24:20 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/6/2015 4:19:27 AM, Sooner wrote:
No ill motives meant by this thread. Just a question meant for debate and communication. I am not an Atheist, but I do feel that the free people of the world whether Athiest, Agnostic, or Creationist to find unity to protect freedom.

What does that mean?

----
It's an effort to reach out to people who choose a different belief than me because I, as a human, search for more, but am fully aware why people are Atheist. So instead of an attack, I propose the above topic. My rhetoric was an attempt to demonstrate to any poster that I have no interest in attacking anyone's comments on this thread. When starting the thread, I wanted to observe the responses with a neutral mind and not in "attack mode".

The final piece of my opening statement is my way of communicating that the real threats to humanity are losing basic freedoms, inability to speak, type, or write freely, inability to make choices of beliefs, etc. I don't find the Atheistic belief in the general sense as the "true threat" to those freedoms. I would stand by anyone protecting freedom. I'm a veteran of the U.S. military, and have worked together with people of many differing beliefs, so I recognize that just because I personally am not an Atheist, that does not make Atheists in general, bad, unethical, evil, etc. in comparison to me or other people on Earth. Therefore I pose a touchy question in this thread and choose to absorb information for more personal understanding, and I choose to not participate unless spoken to directly by a poster.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 1:30:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 6:01:05 AM, Sooner wrote:
At 8/6/2015 4:24:20 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/6/2015 4:19:27 AM, Sooner wrote:
No ill motives meant by this thread. Just a question meant for debate and communication. I am not an Atheist, but I do feel that the free people of the world whether Athiest, Agnostic, or Creationist to find unity to protect freedom.

What does that mean?

----
It's an effort to reach out to people who choose a different belief than me because I, as a human, search for more, but am fully aware why people are Atheist. So instead of an attack, I propose the above topic. My rhetoric was an attempt to demonstrate to any poster that I have no interest in attacking anyone's comments on this thread. When starting the thread, I wanted to observe the responses with a neutral mind and not in "attack mode".

The final piece of my opening statement is my way of communicating that the real threats to humanity are losing basic freedoms, inability to speak, type, or write freely, inability to make choices of beliefs, etc. I don't find the Atheistic belief in the general sense as the "true threat" to those freedoms. I would stand by anyone protecting freedom. I'm a veteran of the U.S. military, and have worked together with people of many differing beliefs, so I recognize that just because I personally am not an Atheist, that does not make Atheists in general, bad, unethical, evil, etc. in comparison to me or other people on Earth. Therefore I pose a touchy question in this thread and choose to absorb information for more personal understanding, and I choose to not participate unless spoken to directly by a poster.

Gotcha. How are defining "God"? Are we assuming a deistic or personal god of religion? Be specific.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 1:37:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 4:46:37 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
Well, pardon me, that was way too general.

You can't prove that God doesn't exist. God is defined to exist.

It's like trying to prove that there is no such thing as truth. It's kind of an absurd thing to do.

Except, existence isn't a property so you cannot define something to exist.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 1:41:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 4:46:37 AM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
Well, pardon me, that was way too general.

You can't prove that God doesn't exist. God is defined to exist.

It's like trying to prove that there is no such thing as truth. It's kind of an absurd thing to do.

Do you know what 'begging the question' means?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
GrittyWorm
Posts: 1,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 7:49:42 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Reply & QuoteAdd Post
GrittyWorm"
12/14/2015 7:35:46 PM
Posted: 1 minute ago
We have a limited range of thought concerning advanced beings, spirits, or god.

A)The fact we exist tells us one of 2 things

1)God exists and created it all. It is an unknown variable in discerning his "reality" but gives a beginning variable to at least give answer to where we come from.

2)We have an infinite "scientific" system that never began. We cannot have a beginning variable that "was born". We must have some variable, whether reality as we know it or
A reality beyond our reality that has "always been".

B)If you say that there is an infinite scientific entity for causality of our reality, then you give place to the "laws of everything", meaning all things exist. An evolutionary process created humanoids, greater beings, even greater beings, even greater beings than that, etc. Etc. Until you have an entity in some phase of infinite time and reality that figured out things to the point of being able to control, manipulate, and rule reality.

Either way you get the same "god concept". There is no mathematical or intellectual way around God.