Is God vain?

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 5:44:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 3:06:41 PM, Amore-mystery-et-Verite-2 wrote:
I was just reading the old testament and it seemed to me that he is.

I think God is capable of all the emotions/attributes that people have. We are just limited versions of God.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 6:05:31 PM
At 8/6/2015 5:44:58 PM, janesix wrote:

I think God is capable of all the emotions/attributes that people have. We are just limited versions of God.

That is true, haven't heard too many people admit that or think that God has emotional attributes, this created world is chock full of emotional content and so is the Creator. It should be obvious but you know how that goes lol.

Not only does God have those attributes but they run much deeper than ours.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 6:14:03 PM

Ever read the NT lol? Jesus is the closest thing to God we've ever seen, and obviously His opinion counts, should we not partake of the vine?

Remember the OT goes waaaaay back to a grim time, a scary time, an uncertain time and a depressive time, those emotional qualities are expressed in their lives and in the scriptures.
For example I may view God as much more intense of a figure if I was born into a hostile environment, one filled with war, terror and fear. God would most certainly take a different purpose in my life, the same with theirs.
sheskew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 6:24:04 PM
At 8/6/2015 6:14:03 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Remember the OT goes waaaaay back to a grim time, a scary time, an uncertain time and a depressive time, those emotional qualities are expressed in their lives and in the scriptures.
For example I may view God as much more intense of a figure if I was born into a hostile environment, one filled with war, terror and fear. God would most certainly take a different purpose in my life, the same with theirs.

Couldn't the NT times also be described as scary and depressive? The apostles struggled with homelessness, poverty, the death of their spiritual leader, oppression and persecution from Rome and from other Jews, plus imprisonment and execution. That seems scary to me.

The difference in depictions of God between the new and old testaments really does confuse me. God is unchanging, we're told, and also he divinely inspired every word in both books in accordance with a perfect plan. One might therefore expect God's autobiography to depict him consistently throughout. Instead, the NT God sits around a virtual campfire singing kumbaya with all his creations and handling out miraculous healings as door prizes, while the OT God orders/smites people dead for such trivial things as picking up sticks on a holy day or steadying the ark of the covenent to keep it from falling in the mud. The two books do not seem to be depicting the same character.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:49:20 AM

No. Vanity is defined as "excessive pride" or "the quality of being worthless/futile". God is infinite, so an infinite amount of pride in Himself would not meet the definition of vanity. Obviously God isn't worthless or futile, so He doesn't meet that definition either.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:51:11 AM
At 8/6/2015 5:44:58 PM, janesix wrote:

Well of course.
God was made in our image.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 9:03:35 AM

He's so vain he probably thinks this thread is about him.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 12:45:13 PM

I'd say that he's as proud as a Bronze Age semitic tribal greybeard patriarch; as xenophobic as one; as misogynistic as one; as cruel and vengeful as one; as conservatively authoritarian as one; as vain as one; and as closed-minded and inflexible as one.

It's almost as though his character were written by Bronze Age semitic tribal greybeard patriarchs really, isn't it? Especially when you consider how God thoughtlessly created and supervised everything, completely ignoring basic astronomy, geology, biology, medicine, meteorology and physics.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 5:10:40 PM
At 8/7/2015 12:45:13 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

I'd say that he's as proud as a Bronze Age semitic tribal greybeard patriarch; as xenophobic as one; as misogynistic as one; as cruel and vengeful as one; as conservatively authoritarian as one; as vain as one; and as closed-minded and inflexible as one.

It's almost as though his character were written by Bronze Age semitic tribal greybeard patriarchs really, isn't it? Especially when you consider how God thoughtlessly created and supervised everything, completely ignoring basic astronomy, geology, biology, medicine, meteorology and physics.

This.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 5:29:27 PM

Of course, over the top vanity is an attribute typical of Gods since Babylon. Gods are, after all, a higher class than any high class aristocrat, and thus people expected them to act according to their position. It wouldn't make sense (to ancient people) for Gods to act on a modest fashion outside of very particular contexts. Of course the christian God is the same as any other God.