What does "born again" Christian mean?

sheskew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 8:01:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/6/2015 7:57:22 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
And what's the difference between born-again Christians and other Christians.

Both my parents are born-again Christians. As best I've been able to tell, it means they've prayed a prayer in which they ask to become born-again. That's all you have to do. Sometimes you get an extra baptism, but it's not essential.

Within the belief system, I believe the when someone is born again, the Holy Spirit is supposed to take up residence within them and begin a slow, steady process of changing their personality and thought processes to be more Christ-like. They give up addictions and bad habits, become more honest, loving, and charitable, and spend more and more time contemplating the Bible and praying. This could easily be described as "working hard to change yourself", but in this case the credit is assigned to divine power rather than individual effort.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 8:19:09 PM
They're generally people who *try* to become ex-retards, but actually end up being even bigger retards.

Even worse is the Jehovah Christian religion, which believes that god personally 'selects' his followers. I.E: them.

Anyway, I want a born again gummy bear. A gummy bear that gets eaten, but then regenerates itself into a new gummy bear and undergoes a 'spiritual rebirth'.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 8:22:11 PM

Acts 2:38
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 8:33:59 PM
it says in scripture you must be born again of the spirit, I think it refers to the difference with the law which is more human, the emphasis is on the person to be perfect, when you are saved under Grace you are saved by the sacrifice of Jesus the emphasis is on the spirit..
It is often linked to being baptised in the Holy Spirit which can bring spiritual gifts... such as speaking in tongues...
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 8:47:54 PM
But not everybody who gets baptized by another human is really Born Again in the eyes of God. they might think they are but God doesnt always agree with the minsters who do the baptizing. to me the difference between Born Again Chrisitain and just a Christian is that the Born Again wasn't a Christian before in his life, he came to it later. most of them were Atheists. usually as an adult is when they got Saved or Born again. where a regular Christian could have been raised that way all along.
this is my favorite Bible verse on it..........

Jesus Teaches Nicodemus
3 Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him."

3 Jesus replied, "Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again"

4 "How can someone be born when they are old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother"s womb to be born!"

5 Jesus answered, "Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[b] gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, "You[] must be born again." 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."[d]

9 "How can this be?" Nicodemus asked.

10 "You are Israel"s teacher," said Jesus, "and do you not understand these things? 11 Very truly I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12 I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven"the Son of Man.[e] 14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,[f] 15 that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him."[g]

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God"s one and only Son. 19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 11:30:05 PM

Born Again was just a fad in the sixties, often used as an excuse by those who never got invited to the free love movements.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 1:24:23 AM

Jesus used the term "born again" as a state of renewal, the beginning of a process of abiding in God, it's like a door that opens for an individual. It is only a first step really, there is a beginning or starting point to spiritual awareness and Jesus uses the analogy of being born because your spirit is like your flesh body in some aspects, it needs nourishment and growth or it will die off.

The difference between a spiritual Christian and a "christian" is one is merely a label, while the other a lifestyle.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 1:25:10 AM
At 8/6/2015 11:30:05 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Born Again was just a fad in the sixties, often used as an excuse by those who never got invited to the free love movements.

No, it was established by Jesus thousands of years ago.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 5:54:26 PM
At 8/7/2015 1:25:10 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Wrong as usual.

"In recent history, born again is a term that has been widely associated with the evangelical Christian renewal since the late 1960s, first in the United States and then later around the world. "

https://en.wikipedia.org...
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:00:22 PM
At 8/7/2015 5:54:26 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Wrong as usual.

"In recent history, born again is a term that has been widely associated with the evangelical Christian renewal since the late 1960s, first in the United States and then later around the world. "

it may have been used in more recent history but it has always been a biblical principle...
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:33:44 PM
To be born again by the power of the Holy Spirit by the name of Jesus Christ of God.

HE came from above and by this he allows us to be reborn by the power of the Holy Spirit. So his followers to are reborn, though we did not come from above like HIM, Jesus allows us to be reborn by the power from God.
nongambler48
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:36:35 PM

this is my understanding of being "born again" and the rest.
first and foremost it is absolutely essential to know that being a Christian means dedicating your life to following in the footsteps of Christianity's founder.
that should help bystanders to tell the difference between genuine imitators of Christ,
and those who have faith but lack accurate knowledge of what they are obliged to preach and teach,
and those who deliberately chose to take up the name of Christianity
but abandon the correct directions left by Jesus and the first century Christians.
being born again means one agrees to learn what god expects from his servants and what he gives them in return.
its like going back to school,
but in the case of Christianity,
the pupils look to the bible for a new direction.
and when they learn that god desires them to imitate his son,
they have to then decide if they are willing to make the changes needed to be like his son?
for many that is the point where they decide to abandon Being a Christian
because it requires daily effort to make changes.
and it can be difficult if a individual finds it hard to be humble.
many people for example resent being corrected
perhaps cause they may be proud and feel that being humble is a weakness rather than a strength?
its not easy learning to be a Christian
but if one persists and has strong faith
they can become accustomed to taking service to god seriously
and any frustration they experience they don't alone that to discourage or weaken them.
also being born again means one is obliged to learn to be honest.
that means we don't resort to so called "white lies" because god views all lies as they are which is lies
and a liar is knowingly or unknowingly imitating the Devil
who Jesus said is the "father of the Lie"
meaning that he (Satan) is the one all lies originated from.
whereas god and Jesus represent Truth.
therefore any genuine servant of God must strive hard to avoid telling lies even if they feel that the lie is a so called "white or minor lie"
however god is not unreasonable
he knows human nature and that we have a tendency to lie and at times we may lie because we are scared of what may happen if we speak the truth.
the Christian Disciple peter lied when he was accused of being a follower or friend of Jesus.
Peter lied three times because he was scared of the consequences for admitting to be a follower of Jesus.
Jesus actually foretold Him that he would give way to fear and deny knowing him three times,
and it came true
and the bible account says that peter gave way to tears
but he later regained Strength when Jesus came back and reassured him that his moment of fear had been forgiven.
that shows that god recognizes that imperfect humans cannot imitate Christ perfectly
and so god makes allowances for our short comings.
however we are still obliged to at least try to live up to Christs example of being honest and speaking the truth about god to as many people as possible.
that takes courage and faith.
therefore we are told to pray to god for support when we feel scared to speak the truth.
so its not easy being a Christian
but if one endures
you can be absolutely certain that god will more than reward our efforts to please him.
I hope this helps you understand what it means to be a born again Christian.
regards.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:41:10 PM
At 8/7/2015 6:00:22 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Wrong as usual.

it may have been used in more recent history but it has always been a biblical principle...

No, it hasn't. Only from the 60's.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:48:50 PM
At 8/7/2015 6:41:10 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Wrong as usual.

john chapter 3
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

the bible was written before the 1960's, it has always been there...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:56:04 PM
At 8/7/2015 6:48:50 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Wrong as usual.

john chapter 3
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Funny how you believers are so confused, even when it comes to your own holy books.

The term, "Born Again" is a recent movement, it started in the 60's. Try and stay focused.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:59:51 PM
At 8/7/2015 6:56:04 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Wrong as usual.

john chapter 3

Funny how you believers are so confused, even when it comes to your own holy books.

The term, "Born Again" is a recent movement, it started in the 60's. Try and stay focused.

it is in the bible , I just posted the verse, it never started in the 1960's it has always been in scripture...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 7:12:05 PM
At 8/7/2015 6:59:51 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Wrong as usual.

john chapter 3

it is in the bible , I just posted the verse, it never started in the 1960's it has always been in scripture...

So, this problem of yours where you continuously deny facts, how long has it plagued you?
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 7:21:45 PM
At 8/7/2015 7:12:05 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Wrong as usual.

john chapter 3

So, this problem of yours where you continuously deny facts, how long has it plagued you?

i think you have the problem, it is clearly stated in the bible about being born again, it's a pity that dumps on your preconceived ideas of always being right..lol
frenchmoosetwo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 7:26:57 PM
At 8/6/2015 8:19:09 PM, Emilrose wrote:
They're generally people who *try* to become ex-retards, but actually end up being even bigger retards.

Even worse is the Jehovah Christian religion, which believes that god personally 'selects' his followers. I.E: them.

Anyway, I want a born again gummy bear. A gummy bear that gets eaten, but then regenerates itself into a new gummy bear and undergoes a 'spiritual rebirth'.

Excellently spoken, May I obtain an autograph?
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 7:30:25 PM
At 8/7/2015 7:26:57 PM, frenchmoosetwo wrote:

Yes you may! On your pene if you like ;)
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

frenchmoosetwo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 7:32:40 PM
At 8/7/2015 7:30:25 PM, Emilrose wrote:

I notice you have failed to respond to our debate? Has the initiation process taken its toll?
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 7:58:38 PM
At 8/7/2015 7:32:40 PM, frenchmoosetwo wrote:

I notice you have failed to respond to our debate? Has the initiation process taken its toll?

NAW, I'm talking to my bf's right now. I am like SO replying later, just gotta get my source ;)

August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 9:40:37 PM

I wonder if miss Spaniard knows about a word we have in America called "prick tease?" lol. God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 10:00:34 PM

"Born again" is just religious jargon for "turning over a new leaf" or starting a new way of life.
It makes the religious feel spiritual. Their invisible friend who loves them more than any of their visible friends supposedly empowers them to live without sin but they don't too good a job of following his sinless example.

The ones who keep sinning are not born again.
The ones who don't sin are born again.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 10:55:13 PM
At 8/7/2015 7:21:45 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Wrong as usual.

john chapter 3

i think you have the problem, it is clearly stated in the bible about being born again

And, no one paid any attention to that verse until the 60's when the phrase suddenly became a fad, millions were made and now we have "Born Again" Christians.

, it's a pity that dumps on your preconceived ideas of always being right..lol
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 12:44:31 AM
At 8/7/2015 9:40:37 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

I wonder if miss Spaniard knows about a word we have in America called "prick tease?" lol. God Bless.

Omg I know this word! I've been said it a few times, because I love to tease a pr1ck

Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 12:46:18 AM
At 8/8/2015 12:44:31 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/7/2015 9:40:37 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Omg I know this word! I've been said it a few times, because I love to tease a pr1ck

And I'm Jewish...not Spanish...they're Christians ewwww.

graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 8:10:40 AM
At 8/7/2015 10:55:13 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Wrong as usual.

john chapter 3

i think you have the problem, it is clearly stated in the bible about being born again

And, no one paid any attention to that verse until the 60's when the phrase suddenly became a fad, millions were made and now we have "Born Again" Christians.

lol... would you care to provide some proof that no one paid any attention to something Jesus himself said....lol

how is it in the corner...lol
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 2:06:49 PM
At 8/8/2015 8:10:40 AM, graceofgod wrote:
At 8/7/2015 10:55:13 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Wrong as usual.

john chapter 3

lol... would you care to provide some proof that no one paid any attention to something Jesus himself said....lol

I already did, the article on Born Again. Didn't read it?

how is it in the corner...lol