god was a man before he was god??

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:48:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/7/2015 6:30:24 PM, graceofgod wrote:
how can the lds believe this one , how can it make any sense at all..

It doesn't, of course, if Jesus existed, he was clearly just a man and nothing else.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
sheskew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:49:06 PM

Let me flip that around and ask you what makes this belief nonsensical? Is there any particular reason it could not be true?
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:50:21 PM
At 8/7/2015 6:48:09 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

It doesn't, of course, if Jesus existed, he was clearly just a man and nothing else.
the lds don't believe it in reference to Jesus, they believe god the father, creator of everything was a man before he was God....
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 6:52:41 PM
At 8/7/2015 6:49:06 PM, sheskew wrote:

Let me flip that around and ask you what makes this belief nonsensical? Is there any particular reason it could not be true?

if god was a man before he was god, how was the man who became god created, who created the planet and everything on it that god the man was on to become a god...

they believe he attained godhood by being a good man and following lds doctrines..
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 7:14:46 PM
At 8/7/2015 6:52:41 PM, graceofgod wrote:

if god was a man before he was god, how was the man who became god created, who created the planet and everything on it that god the man was on to become a god...

they believe he attained godhood by being a good man and following lds doctrines..

After man became God, He then transcended time (thus, always existed) and was able to create himself and the planet prior to his mortal self's existence. ~brushes hands~

But seriously, though, pardon my ignorance, but is "lds" Latter Day Saints? If so, I know next to nil about that.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 7:26:08 PM
At 8/7/2015 7:14:46 PM, Chaosism wrote:

After man became God, He then transcended time (thus, always existed) and was able to create himself and the planet prior to his mortal self's existence. ~brushes hands~

But seriously, though, pardon my ignorance, but is "lds" Latter Day Saints? If so, I know next to nil about that.

lds is latter day saints yes...

god the man became god and travelled back in time to become god....that's awesome, why didn't i Think of that....lol

do you think he forgot what he did then because he organised a council of the gods to decide the best way to deal with salvation on the earth, God was there, Jesus was there and satan Jesus's brother was there.. perhaps when he went back in time he lost his memory....

can you go back in time to create yourself......
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 8:21:16 PM
At 8/7/2015 7:14:46 PM, Chaosism wrote:

lol
sheskew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 8:32:57 PM
At 8/7/2015 7:26:08 PM, graceofgod wrote:
god the man became god and travelled back in time to become god....that's awesome, why didn't i Think of that....lol
do you think he forgot what he did then because he organised a council of the gods to decide the best way to deal with salvation on the earth, God was there, Jesus was there and satan Jesus's brother was there.. perhaps when he went back in time he lost his memory....

Just playing the devil's advocate here, but isn't the traditional understanding of God that he exists outside of time, and isn't it commonly accepted by at least some schools of thought that while Jesus was on earth he was not party to the full omniscience of God even though he was part of the Trinity? And why should being self-created be any more implausible than being a non-created entity?

I'm not suggesting that any of this is reasonable, but in what way is it less reasonable than what you already accept on faith? It's merely different, not more implausible.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 8:54:52 PM
At 8/7/2015 8:32:57 PM, sheskew wrote:
At 8/7/2015 7:26:08 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Just playing the devil's advocate here, but isn't the traditional understanding of God that he exists outside of time, and isn't it commonly accepted by at least some schools of thought that while Jesus was on earth he was not party to the full omniscience of God even though he was part of the Trinity? And why should being self-created be any more implausible than being a non-created entity?

I'm not suggesting that any of this is reasonable, but in what way is it less reasonable than what you already accept on faith? It's merely different, not more implausible.

It is far less reasonable in every way, for a start to be true lds he would have to marry in the temple, preferably more than once, so he would have to have been a man when the mormon temples were built and as I said be married , so that's more creation, for a man who isn't god yet..lol

and of course at a time when the mormon temple rites could be done, that's a whole lot more creation....

but again how do you create yourself if you have to be a man before you are God...lol
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 9:20:55 PM

Mormonism?
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
sheskew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 9:27:08 PM
At 8/7/2015 8:54:52 PM, graceofgod wrote:
wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff

God is explicitly timeless and all-powerful in many religions. God explicitly has the ability to violate causality. Saying "he couldn't do that yet" is a non-sequitur when applied to an entity that can ignore the progression of time and the laws of causality. There is nothing contradictory in the claim that a mortal man could acquire unlimited cosmic power to rewrite space and time at will, then use his power to actually rewrite space and time. It's absurd, but it's not contradictory.

Compare to the following argument: how could a dead god resurrect himself? He's dead, how can he use his powers? Sure, he was alive before his crucifixion and after his resurrection, but he was dead in the meantime. How could he raise himself? Christianity gets around this causality problem by invoking a paradox, that 3 = 1 and that God was simultaneously dead in a tomb and reigning in heaven. That claim is both absurd and contradictory.

Now, I do not say that traditional Christianity is wrong or that the LDS position is right. But both are absurd and the traditional view relies on a paradox.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 9:34:40 PM

who are the "ids?" and no it doesn't make any sense at all to me either my Brother. I would need some more info on this idea but it sounds pretty wack. God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 9:36:17 PM
At 8/7/2015 9:27:08 PM, sheskew wrote:

God is explicitly timeless and all-powerful in many religions. God explicitly has the ability to violate causality. Saying "he couldn't do that yet" is a non-sequitur when applied to an entity that can ignore the progression of time and the laws of causality. There is nothing contradictory in the claim that a mortal man could acquire unlimited cosmic power to rewrite space and time at will, then use his power to actually rewrite space and time. It's absurd, but it's not contradictory.

Compare to the following argument: how could a dead god resurrect himself? He's dead, how can he use his powers? Sure, he was alive before his crucifixion and after his resurrection, but he was dead in the meantime. How could he raise himself? Christianity gets around this causality problem by invoking a paradox, that 3 = 1 and that God was simultaneously dead in a tomb and reigning in heaven. That claim is both absurd and contradictory.

Now, I do not say that traditional Christianity is wrong or that the LDS position is right. But both are absurd and the traditional view relies on a paradox.

you call Christianity absurd? why? how so? and your vast experience with God and that reliigion and all of Creation would be..................................? exactly? lol.
God Bless.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 9:47:23 PM
At 8/7/2015 9:34:40 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

who are the "ids?" and no it doesn't make any sense at all to me either my Brother. I would need some more info on this idea but it sounds pretty wack. God Bless.

latter day saints or mormons to some they are very strange with many doctrines..
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 9:49:28 PM
At 8/7/2015 9:47:23 PM, graceofgod wrote:

latter day saints or mormons to some they are very strange with many doctrines..

yeah some of their beliefs do seem pretty bazarre to my but the thing about them is that every one I ever knew was a good and kind person. but still, what is "Id?"
God Bless.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 9:53:29 PM
At 8/7/2015 9:27:08 PM, sheskew wrote:

lol the trinity is not impossible but is a difficult concept....

God the father, Jesus and the Holy spirit all existed together as one, Jesus part of God came to the earth in the form of Jesus, that is logically possible...
the idea God can create what he wants is reasonable when you consider he is all powerful..

the idea that any one can create themselves as a lesser being in this case a man, to become a god at a later date is absurd, who created the human, who created the world he lived in and all those he interacted with...

I assume you are lds......
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 9:56:41 PM
At 8/7/2015 9:49:28 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

yeah some of their beliefs do seem pretty bazarre to my but the thing about them is that every one I ever knew was a good and kind person. but still, what is "Id?"
God Bless.

They are very sincere people but they are sincerely misled by their organisation...

they believe Jesus and satan are brothers, they believe they become gods after death, they believe god lives on a planet near Kolob, they believe a godly council decided the fate of the earth, they believe in baptism of the dead.... and many other bizarre ideas...
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 10:01:12 PM
At 8/7/2015 9:56:41 PM, graceofgod wrote:

God Bless.

They are very sincere people but they are sincerely misled by their organisation...

they believe Jesus and satan are brothers, they believe they become gods after death, they believe god lives on a planet near Kolob, they believe a godly council decided the fate of the earth, they believe in baptism of the dead.... and many other bizarre ideas...

really? JC and The Morning Star as bros, eh? never knew that. yep: wacky indeed. lol
thanks for that info. God Bless.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 10:02:10 PM
At 8/7/2015 10:01:12 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/7/2015 9:56:41 PM, graceofgod wrote:

God Bless.

really? JC and The Morning Star as bros, eh? never knew that. yep: wacky indeed. lol
thanks for that info. God Bless.

no problem God bless..
sheskew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 10:48:41 PM
At 8/7/2015 9:36:17 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
you call Christianity absurd? why? how so?

Well, let me ask you this, August. Suppose you met a man from, say, Mongolia. He claimed that all the universe was specially created for the benefit of Mongolians, and that long ago a powerful being made all the universe, that the stars are people and able to sing, that all of the mountains were once as flat as pancakes but Mongolia was raised up high to show the creator's special favor for it, and that the world was full of trolls, a special servant race of the god of Mongolia, and that trolls are all around us, hidden just beneath the earth, watching us and recording our deeds. He knows all of this because of some old scrolls found in a few caves in Mongolia which say it is so.

Would you consider this plausible, or would you dismiss it out of hand as an absurdity? Of course you wouldn't buy it! It's clearly a "just-so" story, an ancient myth made up by primitive people to help them fill the void of their ignorance about the world. There aren't any trolls, there's no evidence that the whole world was ever completely flat, and stars are balls of fire; they don't have personalities nor do they sing. The Mongolian man's story is absurd.

Do you see my analogy?
sheskew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 10:53:45 PM
At 8/7/2015 9:53:29 PM, graceofgod wrote:

I am not. I could at best be described as a mystic who has spent many years investigating many religions for truth and has unfortunately not found any truth in any of them.

My point in challenging you is simply to suggest that while you find this part of LDS to be incredible and silly, it's no less incredible and silly than the core components of countless other faiths. And I am inviting you to explore the basis on which you quickly dismiss other faiths on account of their silliness while defending as reasonable the silliness in your own faith. How do we decide what's a realistic proposition and what's not? That's an interesting question to me, and one I spend a lot of time trying to answer. I'd be interested to know your opinion on the subject.
sheskew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 11:06:47 PM

Also, let me clarify, simply because I consider the Christian faith to be absurd does not mean that I consider it untrue. Our common sense only takes us so far in evaluating reality. Quantum mechanics is also absurd, for example, but it is quite true. Currently, I study Christianity with a skeptical eye. I'm far from convinced, but I certainly could be convinced.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 1:23:21 AM
At 8/7/2015 11:06:47 PM, sheskew wrote:

Also, let me clarify, simply because I consider the Christian faith to be absurd does not mean that I consider it untrue. Our common sense only takes us so far in evaluating reality. Quantum mechanics is also absurd, for example, but it is quite true. Currently, I study Christianity with a skeptical eye. I'm far from convinced, but I certainly could be convinced.

ah good job of explaining my brother. I like the mention of quantum mechanics. it fascinates me, but alot of it is over me head. I just ain't bright enough to grasp most of it. I get maybe half of it when I read something about it. but I think the weirdness of it is a sign of God lurking at the bottom of it all. funny about science, we seem to be going backwards! lol. like in astronomy with the black energy and now we dont know what like 90% of the universe is made out of. and nobody really gets quantum stuff. why? in the Bible Paul speaks of the knowledge of man being his folly, that only God knows. I think that science will lead us to God and that will the the last laugh for us Believers on the atheists. turning the tables on them with their cherrished science! LOL
God Bless
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 8:14:41 AM
At 8/7/2015 10:53:45 PM, sheskew wrote:

I am not. I could at best be described as a mystic who has spent many years investigating many religions for truth and has unfortunately not found any truth in any of them.

My point in challenging you is simply to suggest that while you find this part of LDS to be incredible and silly, it's no less incredible and silly than the core components of countless other faiths. And I am inviting you to explore the basis on which you quickly dismiss other faiths on account of their silliness while defending as reasonable the silliness in your own faith. How do we decide what's a realistic proposition and what's not? That's an interesting question to me, and one I spend a lot of time trying to answer. I'd be interested to know your opinion on the subject.

something that does not exist yet cannot create itself, it is absurd.... it cannot create the world it existed in before it existed.... paint it any way you like it just can't happen...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 2:04:17 PM
At 8/8/2015 8:14:41 AM, graceofgod wrote:

something that does not exist yet cannot create itself, it is absurd.... it cannot create the world it existed in before it existed.... paint it any way you like it just can't happen...

Translation: "I don't understand how something works, therefore it cannot work"
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 2:19:06 PM
god was a man before he was god??
Why would that be considered any more strange than any other religious belief?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 3:01:28 PM
At 8/8/2015 2:04:17 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

you sound like you trust science..lol

so you think somthing can create itself and its full surroundings before it exists...that's very interesting..
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 3:05:19 PM
At 8/8/2015 3:01:28 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Yes, I do, it provides us with an understanding of the world around us. Your computer, internet connection and these forums are the result of science.

so you think somthing can create itself and its full surroundings before it exists...that's very interesting..

Whatever ridiculous notions or beliefs you have, they certainly do not align with scientific understanding and evidence.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 3:07:34 PM
At 8/8/2015 3:05:19 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 8/8/2015 3:01:28 PM, graceofgod wrote:

Yes, I do, it provides us with an understanding of the world around us. Your computer, internet connection and these forums are the result of science.

Whatever ridiculous notions or beliefs you have, they certainly do not align with scientific understanding and evidence.

you even post on a thread without reading it, they are not my ideas but those of the mormons.. do try to keep up...