Jump to topic:

Christians: where do you fit best?

August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 1:59:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
brother and sister Christians.........since Im still pretty new here Im trying to get to know some of my fellow & sister Christians a little better, I find you all interesting and fascinating and love you all. So if you dont mind I would like to know what Church you favor? what denomination? how often do you attend? and why'd you choose your particular Church. What do you like bestest about it, or least?
I'll go first, I attend Unity Church here in Santa Cruz. After I got Saved about a year and a half ago I 1st began going to a local Charismatic Church. Wow. great people, lots of Power of God their, but in the end it was a little over the top for me, so at the urge of a friend I went with her to Unity where she was going for years. been there ever since, and am going to their Ministry school next October. I like Unity because its warm and welcoming, very upbeat, we play music, do a lot of prayer for people, and also do alot of community work. Good Works is a big part of Unity's beliefs.
Thank you and God Bless!
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 4:51:47 AM
At 8/8/2015 1:59:56 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
brother and sister Christians.........since Im still pretty new here Im trying to get to know some of my fellow & sister Christians a little better, I find you all interesting and fascinating and love you all. So if you dont mind I would like to know what Church you favor

Catholic

? what denomination? how often do you attend?
Weekly

and why'd you choose your particular Church.

I believe it is the Church Jesus

What do you like bestest about it, or least?

See above
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 2:21:01 PM
brother and sister Christians.........since Im still pretty new here Im trying to get to know some of my fellow & sister Christians a little better, I find you all interesting and fascinating and love you all. So if you dont mind I would like to know what Church you favor? what denomination? how often do you attend? and why'd you choose your particular Church. What do you like bestest about it, or least?
I'll go first, I attend Unity Church here in Santa Cruz. After I got Saved about a year and a half ago I 1st began going to a local Charismatic Church. Wow. great people, lots of Power of God their, but in the end it was a little over the top for me, so at the urge of a friend I went with her to Unity where she was going for years. been there ever since, and am going to their Ministry school next October. I like Unity because its warm and welcoming, very upbeat, we play music, do a lot of prayer for people, and also do alot of community work. Good Works is a big part of Unity's beliefs.
Thank you and God Bless!

Typical hypocrisy, the believers place of worship has nothing to do with what God wants and everything to do with what the believer wants. You just as easily could have joined a bowling team.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 9:19:59 PM
At 8/8/2015 2:21:01 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
Thank you and God Bless!

Typical hypocrisy, the believers place of worship has nothing to do with what God wants and everything to do with what the believer wants. You just as easily could have joined a bowling team.

Thanks for your usual valuable and positive contribution to my thread, my angry friend. To God, no, our place or worship doesn't matter. I asked the question simply out of friendly curiosity about my fellow Christians. which, last time I checked, didn't include you. maybe its time for you to bugger off again?
God Bless
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 9:26:26 PM
brother and sister Christians.........since Im still pretty new here Im trying to get to know some of my fellow & sister Christians a little better, I find you all interesting and fascinating and love you all. So if you dont mind I would like to know what Church you favor?

As long as everyone's nice, the atmosphere is lively and pastor follows the word of God, I'm okay with that church.

what denomination?

Non-denominational.

how often do you attend?

Most of the time, weekly.

Why not?

Asked and answered.

Thank you and God Bless!

Sounds like a great church! I'm happy to hear that!
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 9:29:26 PM
At 8/8/2015 9:26:26 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
brother and sister Christians.........since Im still pretty new here Im trying to get to know some of my fellow & sister Christians a little better, I find you all interesting and fascinating and love you all. So if you dont mind I would like to know what Church you favor?

As long as everyone's nice, the atmosphere is lively and pastor follows the word of God, I'm okay with that church.

what denomination?

Non-denominational.

how often do you attend?

Why not?

Asked and answered.

Thank you and God Bless!

ahh, Ecumenical. this is always a good thing I think. thank you for replying to my thread and God Bless, brother.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 9:30:50 PM
Thank you and God Bless!

Typical hypocrisy, the believers place of worship has nothing to do with what God wants

Wait, so God doesn't want the believers to fellowship and congregate with one another?
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 10:04:55 PM

So if you dont mind I would like to know what Church you favor? what denomination? how often do you attend? and why'd you choose your particular Church. What do you like bestest about it, or least?
I usually go to one of two places. My father and step mother go to a big Baptist church down the road and I sometimes go with them just for the Sunday class. Other times I go to the Kingdom Hall, I have only been three times though. This Sunday I believe I will go to the Kingdom Hall. I do not always attend every Sunday, sometimes I like to study by myself.

I chose the two mainly because of the contrasting teachings and environments. The Baptist church is more liberal in a sense. You can wear whatever and they have modern music played by the band. The Kingdom Hall has more unique teachings and a conservative environment. You know, formal dressing, standard singing, and rather small. I prefer the smaller numbers of people opposed to the larger services.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2015 10:19:45 PM
At 8/8/2015 10:04:55 PM, tstor wrote:

So if you dont mind I would like to know what Church you favor? what denomination? how often do you attend? and why'd you choose your particular Church. What do you like bestest about it, or least?
I usually go to one of two places. My father and step mother go to a big Baptist church down the road and I sometimes go with them just for the Sunday class. Other times I go to the Kingdom Hall, I have only been three times though. This Sunday I believe I will go to the Kingdom Hall. I do not always attend every Sunday, sometimes I like to study by myself.

I chose the two mainly because of the contrasting teachings and environments. The Baptist church is more liberal in a sense. You can wear whatever and they have modern music played by the band. The Kingdom Hall has more unique teachings and a conservative environment. You know, formal dressing, standard singing, and rather small. I prefer the smaller numbers of people opposed to the larger services.

Hey tstor! Good to see ya! thanks for your answer. it sounds like you are getting some good exposures to a couple different views of what our relationship to God is, and what He wants for us. this is a great thing for a young man like you. then you can decide where you best fit in your Journey. best of luck on that. any religion patterned after John the Baptist has have some worhtwhile ideas. besides Jesus he is my favorite NT character. a true wild man, full of the Fervor of God! lol. God Bless, brother.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 12:38:10 AM
At 8/8/2015 9:19:59 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
Thank you and God Bless!

Thanks for your usual valuable and positive contribution to my thread, my angry friend. To God, no, our place or worship doesn't matter. I asked the question simply out of friendly curiosity about my fellow Christians. which, last time I checked, didn't include you. maybe its time for you to bugger off again?
God Bless

That's a lot of anger you got there. LOL.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 12:42:06 AM
At 8/9/2015 12:38:10 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

With good reason. You cannot really contribute to this thread in any meaningful way.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 2:27:59 AM
Thank you and God Bless!

God Bless

naw, just frustration. back in my day that sort of talk I said to you in that post would be about a 2 on my anger scale that went to 100. I usually hovered around 50 to 70 on good days and hit the 90s a couple times a month! But God Fixed that!
God Bless
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 2:29:13 AM
At 8/8/2015 9:30:50 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
Thank you and God Bless!

Typical hypocrisy, the believers place of worship has nothing to do with what God wants

Wait, so God doesn't want the believers to fellowship and congregate with one another?

I dont understand your question, my friend. can you please re-phrase it? Thank you! God Bless.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 2:31:54 AM
At 8/9/2015 2:29:13 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
Thank you and God Bless!

I dont understand your question, my friend. can you please re-phrase it? Thank you! God Bless.

I was talking to the other poster who called you a hypocrite. He's deeply mistaken (and likely just trolling). The Bible is pretty clear on God wanting us to fellowship and congregate with one another.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 2:40:02 AM
At 8/9/2015 2:31:54 AM, Logical-Master wrote:
At 8/9/2015 2:29:13 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
Thank you and God Bless!

I was talking to the other poster who called you a hypocrite. He's deeply mistaken (and likely just trolling). The Bible is pretty clear on God wanting us to fellowship and congregate with one another.

Oh OK, thanks man. I agree of course. even though Jesus said it was OK, even sometimes preferred to pray and worship in private, I think He was basically just jabbing at the Pharisees and how they like to put on airs and be SEEN in the front row at the synagogues. they go for appearances. People always seemed to congregate around Jesus, sometimes so many he'd have to go out offshore in a boat so they could all see Him! LOL. I sometimes seem to feel the Holy Spirit a little more intensely when Im among fellow believers in group prayer, or song.
GodBless.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 2:42:54 AM
At 8/8/2015 9:26:26 PM, Logical-Master wrote:

what denomination?

Non-denominational.

how often do you attend?

Why not?

Asked and answered.

Thank you and God Bless!

Logical-Master Good to meet you...
You said.. As long as everyone's nice, the atmosphere is lively and pastor follows the word of God, I'm okay with that church.

I MUST ASK.....
Logical-Master Who decides; What "the word of God" is?!
There is such a diverse idea among people as to "What the word of God" is.
Thousands and thousands of churches; ALL, every single one, claims to teach the word of God.... All claim to be the truth.. Not two teach the same things ?????

Logical-Master ALL, (again) get their truth, their teaching from the same bible!!??
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 2:56:52 AM
Our official Website for my Unity Church. Please, I invite you all to visit this website and give me any thoughts or questions. God Bless you all!

http://www.unity.org...
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 2:57:47 AM
At 8/9/2015 2:42:54 AM, Dogknox wrote:

Great to meet you as well!

You said.. As long as everyone's nice, the atmosphere is lively and pastor follows the :word of God, I'm okay with that church.

Indeed I did.

I MUST ASK.....

I do.

Thousands and thousands of churches; ALL, every single one, claims to teach the :word of God.... All claim to be the truth.. Not two teach the same things ?????

You could say that about a lot of things. Lots of people have different notions on what's the best way to lose weight, ask a girl out and how to cure an illness. Doesn't mean they're all right or that there's no way to get to the truth of the matter. I can independently and intuitively confirm for myself whether a church is following the word of God or not.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 3:53:32 AM
At 8/9/2015 2:57:47 AM, Logical-Master wrote:
At 8/9/2015 2:42:54 AM, Dogknox wrote:

Great to meet you as well!

You said.. As long as everyone's nice, the atmosphere is lively and pastor follows the :word of God, I'm okay with that church.

Indeed I did.

I MUST ASK.....

I do.

Thousands and thousands of churches; ALL, every single one, claims to teach the :word of God.... All claim to be the truth.. Not two teach the same things ?????

You could say that about a lot of things. Lots of people have different notions on what's the best way to lose weight, ask a girl out and how to cure an illness. Doesn't mean they're all right or that there's no way to get to the truth of the matter. I can independently and intuitively confirm for myself whether a church is following the word of God or not.

Logical-Master Thank you for your post....
I reply.. One church teaches from the word of God... "CAN'T lose salvation" and another teaches from the very same scriptures.. "CAN lose salvation"!

One teaches baptism "ADDS you to the Body of Jesus"!
Another teaches from the very same scriptures.. "Baptism is symbolic"!

One teaches... "Jesus is God" another from the very same bible teaches "Jesus is NOT god!"

Do you understand?
Logical-Master I MUST ask: "How do you know you are right?" How..
Logical-Master how can you sit there and say; my pastor follows the word of God; "My preacher is teaching scripture"!

Is your salvation dependent on dumb luck???... Lucky to get it right! Lucky to hitch your wagon to the right horse!? Are you the EXPERT on scriptures, ancient customs and languages!? Expert in Greek and Hebrew?!
Are you sure you are right when you judge your pastor??!! HAS..

Logical-Master has it ever occurred to you.. Maybe you are the one who is wrong and your pastor; Is truly teaching scriptures, you happen to not care for!?? OR..
Or the reverse.... How do you know you are not being sucked in, by a Pastor you like .. BUT..
But is NOT truly teaching as the Lord wants!??
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 4:26:23 AM
I reply.. One church teaches from the word of God... "CAN'T lose salvation" and :another teaches from the very same scriptures.. "CAN lose salvation"!

Correct.

Also correct.

One teaches... "Jesus is God" another from the very same bible teaches "Jesus is NOT :god!"

Indeed.

Do you understand?

Absolutely. The word makes clear that God knows who is saved and who isn't before they are born. The word makes clear that the path of salvation is through accepting Christ, not through adherence to the law. The word teaches that Christ is God in the flesh.

Now, I realize some of these issues require a lot of spiritual maturity and meditation to reach conclusions on, thus I won't automatically up and leave a church for getting it wrong. That said, if I feel a church is leading people astray to any large degree in its teaching, I will definitely avoid it.

Intuition. Still, I'm happy to explain my answers on those three issues logically if you'd like. :P

Logical-Master how can you sit there and say; my pastor follows the word of God; :"My preacher is teaching scripture"!

On most issues, yes. I believe I can do that.

Is your salvation dependent on dumb luck???

No.

I don't think I said anything about "judging" a pastor.

Logical-Master has it ever occurred to you.. Maybe you are the one who is wrong

Maybe I am.

Or the reverse.... How do you know you are not being sucked in, by a Pastor you like :.. BUT.. But is NOT truly teaching as the Lord wants!??

Easy. I read the word. I meditate it. I think independently. Not hard. Really straightforward.

My turn for questions: How do you know I'm wrong about concluding other people are wrong? Lots of people have different opinions on whether I'm right or wrong about this. Isn't it a bit arrogant to put your opinions above everyone else's? C'mon now!
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 5:10:38 AM
At 8/9/2015 4:26:23 AM, Logical-Master wrote:
I reply.. One church teaches from the word of God... "CAN'T lose salvation" and :another teaches from the very same scriptures.. "CAN lose salvation"!

Correct.

Also correct.

One teaches... "Jesus is God" another from the very same bible teaches "Jesus is NOT :god!"

Indeed.

Do you understand?

Absolutely. The word makes clear that God knows who is saved and who isn't before they are born. The word makes clear that the path of salvation is through accepting Christ, not through adherence to the law. The word teaches that Christ is God in the flesh.

Now, I realize some of these issues require a lot of spiritual maturity and meditation to reach conclusions on, thus I won't automatically up and leave a church for getting it wrong. That said, if I feel a church is leading people astray to any large degree in its teaching, I will definitely avoid it.

Intuition. Still, I'm happy to explain my answers on those three issues logically if you'd like. :P

Logical-Master how can you sit there and say; my pastor follows the word of God; :"My preacher is teaching scripture"!

On most issues, yes. I believe I can do that.

Is your salvation dependent on dumb luck???

No.

I don't think I said anything about "judging" a pastor.

Logical-Master has it ever occurred to you.. Maybe you are the one who is wrong

Maybe I am.

Or the reverse.... How do you know you are not being sucked in, by a Pastor you like :.. BUT.. But is NOT truly teaching as the Lord wants!??

Easy. I read the word. I meditate it. I think independently. Not hard. Really straightforward.

My turn for questions: How do you know I'm wrong about concluding other people are wrong? Lots of people have different opinions on whether I'm right or wrong about this. Isn't it a bit arrogant to put your opinions above everyone else's? C'mon now!

Logical-Master You asked... : How do you know I'm wrong about concluding other people are wrong? Lots of people have different opinions on whether I'm right or wrong about this. Isn't it a bit arrogant to put your opinions above everyone else's? C'mon now!

I reply: I never said you are wrong! I want to know your criteria for deciding what is truth!? It seems to me from reading your posts.... You must be an expert on scriptures, yourself!

With all respect.... Your words perked my interest... My query is: "What do other people do to find truth!?" What you do to find truth is.. "Not much".. Seems to me your faith is based solely on "gut feelings".

Tis all...
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 5:30:30 AM
At 8/9/2015 5:10:38 AM, Dogknox wrote:

I reply: I never said you are wrong! I want to know your criteria for :deciding what is truth!? It seems to me from reading your posts...

Right and I've explained it to you. I then asked you a question, the point of which was to discover how you determine the truth about anything, much less scripture. I believe your reasoning presented thus far can be applied to any matter. I think the notion that "people have reached conclusions about x, therefore we cannot know the truth about X is faulty and self-contradictory.

With all respect.... Your words perked my interest... My query is: "What do other people do to find truth!?" What you do to find truth is.. "Not much".. Seems to me your faith is based solely on "gut feelings".

What does it mean to have a hardened heart?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 3:55:17 PM
At 8/9/2015 2:27:59 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
Thank you and God Bless!

God Bless

naw, just frustration.

Oh no, that is anger, which you have confused with laughter. I'm just trying to help you understand the differences.

back in my day that sort of talk I said to you in that post would be about a 2 on my anger scale that went to 100. I usually hovered around 50 to 70 on good days and hit the 90s a couple times a month! But God Fixed that!
God Bless
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 4:01:26 PM
Thank you and God Bless!

Maybe he does, are there any verses in which God describes and defines such a thing?

And, are there any verses in which God commands his followers to break up into tens of thousands of denominations all disagreeing with one another?
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 5:08:59 PM
At 8/9/2015 4:01:26 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
Thank you and God Bless!

Maybe he does, are there any verses in which God describes and defines such a thing?

I believe Hebrews 10:25 says we should "not [be] giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another"and all the more as you see the Day approaching." I believe church qualifies as engaging in this practice.

And, are there any verses in which God commands his followers to break up into tens of thousands of denominations all disagreeing with one another?

LOL. No.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 5:13:32 PM
At 8/9/2015 5:08:59 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
At 8/9/2015 4:01:26 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
Thank you and God Bless!

I believe Hebrews 10:25 says we should "not [be] giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another"and all the more as you see the Day approaching." I believe church qualifies as engaging in this practice.

So does standing on a street corner, sitting in a cafe and talking on the phone. Bowling alleys qualify.

LOL. No.

And yet, that's what we have today.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 5:27:45 PM
At 8/9/2015 5:13:32 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

So does standing on a street corner, sitting in a cafe and talking on the phone. Bowling alleys qualify.

Hey, I once had church on an airplane, in a hotel room, in a casino and a garage. And As long as you've got two people, it doesn't make a difference where it is.

LOL. No.

Indeed we do. So what?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 5:35:17 PM
At 8/9/2015 5:27:45 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
At 8/9/2015 5:13:32 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Hey, I once had church on an airplane, in a hotel room, in a casino and a garage. And As long as you've got two people, it doesn't make a difference where it is.

True, but we would all prefer it was kept behind closed doors where it belongs and not out in public.

LOL. No.

Indeed we do. So what?

It shows there is no God.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 5:49:05 PM
At 8/9/2015 5:35:17 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

True, but we would all prefer it was kept behind closed doors where it belongs and not out in public.

Sweet, but I think we were talking about whether God likes church. I think I've shown he does. Since we're in full agreement on that, I see no further need to continue the discussion.

Indeed we do. So what?

It shows there is no God.

People have thousands of ideas about the cause of the universe, therefore there is no universe. Getting bored fast. You get one more post before I lose interest. :\
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:13:44 PM
Thank you and God Bless!

I'm non denominational, I was saved in a pentecostal church some 19 years ago, baptised, full emersion, prefer lively worship, I attend church most sundays, with other days spent on bible study, prayer meetings..
the church I most often attend is in a small town on the east coast of England, it is a lively and friendly church....
I'm a big believer in the covenant of Grace..