Jump to topic:

God only shows himself to those who seek him

Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 3:39:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have seen miracle after miracle after miracle in my recent life, so it's hard for me to not believe. The Bible implies that if you do not seek God he will show you nothing.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 3:46:20 PM
At 8/9/2015 3:39:29 PM, Sooner wrote:
I have seen miracle after miracle after miracle in my recent life ....

I rather doubt that, so please elaborate.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 3:46:20 PM
I have seen miracle after miracle after miracle in my recent life, so it's hard for me to not believe. The Bible implies that if you do not seek God he will show you nothing.

Pulleeeze, that is the lamest excuse.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 3:47:21 PM

Don't tell Red.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 5:49:52 PM
At 8/9/2015 3:46:20 PM, annanicole wrote:

------
Sure. My dad needed a kydney. Didn't get it until it was almost too late.

My grandmother asked God to keep my grandfather alive, begging, saying she couldn't live without him. He miraculously recovered. She then died exactly one year later to the day. He died exactly one year to the day after.
1)Grandpa Came back from stroke Feb. 8th, 2012.
2)Grandma died Feb. 8th, 2013.
3)Grandpa died Feb 8th, 2014
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:01:56 PM
At 8/9/2015 5:49:52 PM, Sooner wrote:

------

This is not unique, or miraculous. Its typically how donor lists work. No offense.

My grandmother asked God to keep my grandfather alive, begging, saying she couldn't live without him. He miraculously recovered. She then died exactly one year later to the day. He died exactly one year to the day after.

Aside from the dates, what exactly is miraculous about this?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:12:11 PM
At 8/9/2015 6:01:56 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

------

This is not unique, or miraculous. Its typically how donor lists work. No offense.

Aside from the dates, what exactly is miraculous about this?
-----
It's a hard thing to explain because you almost needed to simply see it for yourself. They were almost super humanly devout in love. They took in bums off the street and never denied help to anyone to a fault(if you will). Their whole existance was like that. It's not one thing. It's a myriad of many things that happened miraculously to them and those connected to them. They were the only people I ever knew that when they said,"I will pray for you", you expected something to actually happen. Luck? I don't know, but they had me convinced.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:12:42 PM

------

That may be true. Where is the miracle?

Again, where is the miracle in that?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:19:12 PM
At 8/9/2015 6:12:42 PM, annanicole wrote:

------

----
Grandpa was in a coma for 13 days, so when Grandma prayed and he came out of it 5 hours later, we were looking at her mystified once again.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:24:09 PM
At 8/9/2015 6:19:12 PM, Sooner wrote:

------

----
Grandpa was in a coma for 13 days, so when Grandma prayed and he came out of it 5 hours later, we were looking at her mystified once again.

People come out of comas all the time, dude. My uncle came out of one (due to car accident) over 50 years ago, and he's still living. That's no miracle.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:27:09 PM

------

----

So essentially, what you're saying is, "I am mystified" = Goddunit.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:29:18 PM

Sorry, but which god from the thousands of other gods should I seek?
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:30:29 PM

Bless you, I'm pleased God has worked miraculously in your life..
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 7:40:33 PM

------

All you are showing us is there were death and diseases you witnessed in your family. Think of the millions who don't need miracles to survive and are healthier than your known family. Ignorance is a bliss especially when the data does not match the conclusion.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 9:24:10 PM
At 8/9/2015 7:40:33 PM, Harikrish wrote:

------

All you are showing us is there were death and diseases you witnessed in your family. Think of the millions who don't need miracles to survive and are healthier than your known family. Ignorance is a bliss especially when the data does not match the conclusion.

---------
No one believes what I say, so I don't tend to try very much. That's why I usually just say that one would have needed to see it like we did. But if this is the time to elaborate, here I go.

1)My great grandmother asked god to bring all of her sons back alive. Now she took in orphans/ homeless boys, etc. so they are in here too. She fasted, prayed over each one individually, and told God that the first time he felt it was one of them's time, he was to take her in his place.
1)My grandfather fought in WWII. He had an appendix rupture the day his company was completely wiped out. He was in a bed in a tent at the time.
2)My great uncles Dewey, Hurley, and Haskell all 3 were POW's who faced the Batan Death March by the Japanese. All 3 survived. Clyde(adopted) was shot twice through the chest. He was unconscious when found, drug five miles on a body carrying device, and was pronounced dead on September 9th, 1946. He said he remembered a voive saying ,"My God. He's alive?" It's a miracle. They later got news of their mother(my grandmother), having died. She died September 9th, 1946. All 7 of her children and all 8 of her adoptees survived WWII. 15 boys in all. Very few American families could say they didn't lose a son. They had 15 of 15 survive.

My grandfather miraculously came out of a stroke coma on Feb 8th, 2012
My grandmother, his wife)Died Feb 8th, 2013.
My grandfather died Feb 8th, 2014.

My dad survived a kydney transplant that looked like it wouldn't happen until days before he was expected to die.

At my grandfather's funeral, after we stepped out of the church, my aunt asked my dad if he was allright. My dad said,"Yeah. I know he is somewhere watching us." Within a second or 2 a bald eagle flew onto the door overhang about 15 feet up, perched, stared at us, sat there about 20 seconds and flew off out of sight. A bald Eagle in the middle of a town of 55,000. Judge for yourself.

The stories have more impact in person because I have 20+ witnesses who attest to the last 3 stories. My grandfather and uncles testify to the first story.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 10:07:26 PM
At 8/9/2015 9:24:10 PM, Sooner wrote:

------

---------
No one believes what I say, so I don't tend to try very much. That's why I usually just say that one would have needed to see it like we did. But if this is the time to elaborate, here I go.

1)My great grandmother asked god to bring all of her sons back alive. Now she took in orphans/ homeless boys, etc. so they are in here too. She fasted, prayed over each one individually, and told God that the first time he felt it was one of them's time, he was to take her in his place.
1)My grandfather fought in WWII. He had an appendix rupture the day his company was completely wiped out. He was in a bed in a tent at the time.
2)My great uncles Dewey, Hurley, and Haskell all 3 were POW's who faced the Batan Death March by the Japanese. All 3 survived. Clyde(adopted) was shot twice through the chest. He was unconscious when found, drug five miles on a body carrying device, and was pronounced dead on September 9th, 1946. He said he remembered a voive saying ,"My God. He's alive?" It's a miracle. They later got news of their mother(my grandmother), having died. She died September 9th, 1946. All 7 of her children and all 8 of her adoptees survived WWII. 15 boys in all. Very few American families could say they didn't lose a son. They had 15 of 15 survive.

My dad survived a kydney transplant that looked like it wouldn't happen until days before he was expected to die.

At my grandfather's funeral, after we stepped out of the church, my aunt asked my dad if he was allright. My dad said,"Yeah. I know he is somewhere watching us." Within a second or 2 a bald eagle flew onto the door overhang about 15 feet up, perched, stared at us, sat there about 20 seconds and flew off out of sight. A bald Eagle in the middle of a town of 55,000. Judge for yourself.

The stories have more impact in person because I have 20+ witnesses who attest to the last 3 stories. My grandfather and uncles testify to the first story.

It seems like the forum has been overrun with children recently.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 11:06:18 PM
At 8/9/2015 10:07:26 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

------

---------

It seems like the forum has been overrun with children recently.

----
I lose my dad this year, choose to focus on the positive and amazing things in my family and my life, then give you information reluctantly at your request, and that is your response? God could poke you in the nose, and I'm not sure you'd feel it. You have to have the ability to feel first. Do you know what it means to listen to people? Is empathy or sympathy in your vocabulary, or are you more concerned with zipping toxic comments to feel satisfied?Do you feel victorious? I have no desire to score or win. That's a childish idea. Instead of taking pause and thinking how all those thing would affect my personal view, you searched for an attack. Self help books are sold everywhere. If you get tired of your negative, toxic, limited, and self absorbed, defeated attitude, you can seek information on how to appropriately address others and not live awith negative cognitive, self destructive behavior. If you are wise and brave enough to better your approach towards other human beings, I will applaud you.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 5:44:32 AM

------

----

So...it took thirteen days for Grandma - by your own account a very devout woman - to pray for Grandpa, or do you think that she was praying all along and just attributed his recovery to the last prayer she made? It seems likely she prayed all along, and that raises the question: why did it take thirteen days for the wish/prayer to be granted? Which is more likely - God was busy/unable/maliciously withholding/non-existent (take your pick), or it took that long for your Grandpa to come out of his coma without any help from an invisible friend? People come out of comas all the time (with or without prayer) so this is not a supernatural event. It is not a miracle.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
ex_friend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 6:17:31 AM
I have seen miracle after miracle after miracle in my recent life, so it's hard for me to not believe. The Bible implies that if you do not seek God he will show you nothing. : :

The Bible doesn't know what it's talking about. I was an atheist when God spoke into my mind.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 6:30:09 AM
Burnsy is living proof that this is a lie according to him.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 11:12:32 AM
At 8/10/2015 6:30:09 AM, bulproof wrote:

-----
Is that it? Go for 5-6 sentences and make some points or don't waste your time. When you've reduced yourself to one and two liners at least make it wity. Stale, uncreative one liners are boring. You have become boring. You've lost your edge I guess. Goodbye.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 11:30:34 AM
At 8/10/2015 6:17:31 AM, ex_friend wrote:
I have seen miracle after miracle after miracle in my recent life, so it's hard for me to not believe. The Bible implies that if you do not seek God he will show you nothing. : :

The Bible doesn't know what it's talking about. I was an atheist when God spoke into my mind.

You were drunk and deluded Brad.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 12:24:50 PM

Since the Bible predicts nothing specific and significant correctly, it's irrelevant what it says.

However, psychology has identified a common cognitive flaw called confirmation bias, which is characterised by seeing what you strongly hope to see, even when it's not there.

Psychology's confirmation bias is a better predictor of miracles than faith, and this is why no faith-based miracles have ever been independently confirmed under clinical conditions.

Nor would such a miracle, should it occur, necessarily demonstrate the truth of one theology over any other. That would be a further example of confirmation bias: seeing insufficient evidence, yet considering it sufficient.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 3:38:18 PM

------

---------

Over 20 million lives were called to heaven by the end of the war. Looks like only some of your relatives made the call.
Now a bald eagle in the middle of a town of 55,000 is impressive. But the bible never attached any significance to the presence of eagles. Your father read too much into this 20 seconds visit.
Jesus roamed the countryside for 1-3 years and would have done any carpenter union proud. But he wanted to be accepted as a messiah which the people found was a big stretch and put him to death for blasphemy.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 3:51:31 PM
At 8/10/2015 11:12:32 AM, Sooner wrote:

-----
Is that it? Go for 5-6 sentences and make some points or don't waste your time. When you've reduced yourself to one and two liners at least make it wity. Stale, uncreative one liners are boring. You have become boring. You've lost your edge I guess. Goodbye.

Sweety you have trouble understanding one line, one of my epistles would have you in a state of catatonia for years.
Just stick with what you can handle.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 4:34:20 PM
At 8/10/2015 3:51:31 PM, bulproof wrote:

-----

Sweety you have trouble understanding one line, one of my epistles would have you in a state of catatonia for years.

-----
You remind me of the guy who honestly believes he is as vood as Michael Jordan at basketball but inreality he keeps doinking the ball off of the bottom of the rim and getting the ball stolen from them. Then during a timeout, he's like, man I'm kicking butt. And everyone is looking at them like they afe embarrased for them. With a little research, I'm finding it's not just me that sees it.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 4:38:45 PM
At 8/10/2015 4:34:20 PM, Sooner wrote:
At 8/10/2015 3:51:31 PM, bulproof wrote:

-----

-----
You remind me of the guy who honestly believes he is as vood as Michael Jordan at basketball but inreality he keeps doinking the ball off of the bottom of the rim and getting the ball stolen from them. Then during a timeout, he's like, man I'm kicking butt. And everyone is looking at them like they afe embarrased for them. With a little research, I'm finding it's not just me that sees it.
I think your beer level is too high, either that or you can't spell.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 4:39:18 PM
Psychology's confirmation bias is a better predictor of miracles than faith, and this is why no faith-based miracles have ever been independently confirmed under clinical conditions.

God isn't going to care about clinical conditions. Jesus himself said that there would be only one sign after his death and no more until the end of the world.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 5:23:48 PM
At 8/9/2015 6:27:09 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

------

----

So essentially, what you're saying is, "I am mystified" = Goddunit.

--
Not really. It just makes me wonder on some level. I'm actually not very religious. I just make points that argue for my family's beliefs Because a part of me still believes and hopes. Some of it is honoring their beliefs. It's kind of like sticking up for your brother I guess. Even if you're not 100% certain they are right, uou still protect them. What started it for me were statements I saw that contradicted what I've seen in my own life.
1)Atheist are smarter than Creationists.
-My father was a human calculator with a PHD. He taught Phsychology and at a university in a city near hear. He taught Trigonometry and Chemistry at a highschool when he was a younger man. He has the very rare ability to give you the square root or closest thing on anything presented to him in a moment.
-My brother is an engineer for a large company. He designs the angles, support, concept, and makes the blueprints all based pff of math equations, etc.
-I played my first song on piano at 3 years old. At 4, I taught myself to read music off the page in a couple hours. At 4, I wrote my first song with the clefs and notes. I can hear a song and play it back on the piano from beginning to end. I have claimed Agnostic for about the last13 years, but through a lot of study have started moving back the other way.
-I have a cousin who was Valadictorian of his highschool(Had a Sr. Class of over 700 students.) He is a surgeon now. He does organ transplants, and says Atheism has too many holes and is a blind leap of faith and for no gain. He reads/writes Hebrew and is big on Bible Prophecies, Kryptic codes, and is big on the message that comes from the names of the lineage from Adam to Noah put in order equalling a message seemingly depicting Jesus. He sees Atheist challenges of things in the Bible, and can counter and even completely discredit everything either of us have seen from Atheists. I used to think he must be reaching to come up with these counters. I'm yet to be unconvinced yet, and I'm very skeptical of about everything.
-Albert Einstein didn't accept Atheism. In fairness he said religion claimed to "know the mind of god", Which he disliked as well.

2)My sister is a hospice nurse who is assigned to dying people to help them during their last days. She says every single person she has delt with has requested a preacher, priest, Christian councilor, etc. She says there's never been an exception so far.

Through many rigorous studies of the Bible, studies of science and scienctific theories, and studies on the holes in Atheism, I'm seeing a pattern, and a message that convincingly seems to be coming from someone somewhere beyond our reality.