Total Posts:72|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

if no Islam, would you hate religion so much?

Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:45:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It seems like after September 11th and strings of suicide bombings, Atheists have turned up the heat on their battle against religion. The rhetoric has intensified greatly.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 6:59:28 PM
At 8/9/2015 6:45:23 PM, Sooner wrote:
It seems like after September 11th and strings of suicide bombings, Atheists have turned up the heat on their battle against religion. The rhetoric has intensified greatly.

what September 11th and strings of suicide bombings have to do with Islam my son? dont ruin poeple's lifes they wont attack you. how manny people died in 11/9? 3 thousand? how many muslims they killed intentionally? 4 million? what the damage they caused on entire nations? how many children have trauma problems? they playing with your brians twisting and filling it with sh1t you dont know history my son. advisubg you to search and acquire some real significant stuff beside garabge.
Never fart near dog
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 8:07:04 PM
At 8/9/2015 6:59:28 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:

what September 11th and strings of suicide bombings have to do with Islam my son? dont ruin poeple's lifes they wont attack you. how manny people died in 11/9? 3 thousand? how many muslims they killed intentionally? 4 million? what the damage they caused on entire nations? how many children have trauma problems? they playing with your brians twisting and filling it with sh1t you dont know history my son. advisubg you to search and acquire some real significant stuff beside garabge.
Exactly. It was more of a political issue than a religious one.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 8:13:57 PM

-----
What is the lie exactly. It says after sept. 11th Atheists started hating religion more. Show me the lie.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 8:16:52 PM

----
So you lied just now. Doesn't Allah take away a virgin each time you lie? Or does he take all 72?
sheskew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 8:44:53 PM

I don't know that I'd say I hate any religion. Most religions arouse my mistrust and skepticism. Religious texts that advocate or justify evil cause me a great deal of worry and concern, because I know that some people will read them and take those messages to heart. Certain religiously motivated groups cause me anxiety -- I think we're all uncomfortable with hate groups such as Westboro Baptist Church.

But hatred? That's an ugly emotion. I don't let that seed take root in my mind. It bears unpleasant fruit if it's allowed to flourish.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 9:06:05 PM
At 8/9/2015 8:44:53 PM, sheskew wrote:

I don't know that I'd say I hate any religion. Most religions arouse my mistrust and skepticism. Religious texts that advocate or justify evil cause me a great deal of worry and concern, because I know that some people will read them and take those messages to heart. Certain religiously motivated groups cause me anxiety -- I think we're all uncomfortable with hate groups such as Westboro Baptist Church.

But hatred? That's an ugly emotion. I don't let that seed take root in my mind. It bears unpleasant fruit if it's allowed to flourish.

Oooooohhhh, I love the last sentence lol, very wise indeed :)
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 9:07:22 PM

Response: It does appear that the attacks on religion have amplified after the reoccurring reports of terror attacks. Atheists use this as fuel for their beliefs and justification for denying religion. On the other hand, such aggression by atheists and defamation of Islam by atheists and terrorists themselves has awaken the Muslims to propagate stronger the true teachings of Islam as it truly is, which is a religion of peace and divine guidance from Allah.

So in the end, the alleged hatred only sparked a revival true Islam.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 9:13:00 PM

9/11 is particularly important because it shows that religious fanatism prevails in modern society and it can affect it big deal. However, religious violence is more ancient and damaging than 9/11, look at Crusades or the Inquisition.
sheskew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 9:16:49 PM
At 8/9/2015 9:07:22 PM, Fatihah wrote:
Response: It does appear that the attacks on religion have amplified after the reoccurring reports of terror attacks. Atheists use this as fuel for their beliefs and justification for denying religion. On the other hand, such aggression by atheists and defamation of Islam by atheists and terrorists themselves has awaken the Muslims to propagate stronger the true teachings of Islam as it truly is, which is a religion of peace and divine guidance from Allah.

If we have a group of Americans with a negative attitude towards religion, and America is subjected to a deadly attack by religious extremists, it should come as a surprise to exactly no one that the people who already mistrusted religion will conclude that their mistrust was justified, and that their criticisms will get more public attention. I don't consider myself an angry atheist, but you don't have to go further than Youtube to confirm that there are some angry atheists in the world.

The 9/11 attacks (and in fact all of the jihad-related violence we've seen over the past 15 years) also directly undermines the claim that religion has a net positive influence on the world. I hope this motives practitioners of all religions to do some housecleaning and remove the homicidal murderers from their fold. At least that would be a tiny silver lining amidst all of this ugliness and death.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 9:36:12 PM
At 8/9/2015 9:13:00 PM, Otokage wrote:

9/11 is particularly important because it shows that religious fanatism prevails in modern society and it can affect it big deal. However, religious violence is more ancient and damaging than 9/11, look at Crusades or the Inquisition.

----I understand that the Crusades and the Inquisition happened, but Christianity hasn't had a whole lot of religion-caused devastation in modern times. There have been minor things here and there with rarity sure, but I don't think most Atheists find modern Christianity, Mormonism, Catholicism, Buhdism, Hinduism, or Scientology to be some giant threat in terms of blowing themselves up day after day after day in public areas, or highjacking planes and destroying skyscrapers, killing 3,000+ people. Is this a fair assesment?
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 9:39:57 PM
At 8/9/2015 9:36:12 PM, Sooner wrote:

----I understand that the Crusades and the Inquisition happened, but Christianity hasn't had a whole lot of religion-caused devastation in modern times. There have been minor things here and there with rarity sure, but I don't think most Atheists find modern Christianity, Mormonism, Catholicism, Buhdism, Hinduism, or Scientology to be some giant threat in terms of blowing themselves up day after day after day in public areas, or highjacking planes and destroying skyscrapers, killing 3,000+ people. Is this a fair assesment?

It is somehow fair, except for the part that "blow themselves up day after day". They don't really do it that often, but you know, the media keeps repeating how they are capable of doing such things and thus it appears that one of the favorite hobbies of muslims is to explode themselves. It is not. .... I think :)
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 9:46:02 PM
At 8/9/2015 9:39:57 PM, Otokage wrote:

It is somehow fair, except for the part that "blow themselves up day after day". They don't really do it that often, but you know, the media keeps repeating how they are capable of doing such things and thus it appears that one of the favorite hobbies of muslims is to explode themselves. It is not. .... I think :)

----
How about "Death to America!" Chants by crowds of hundreds of thousands of Muslims?(Youtube "Death to America" if you want to see something dark and hair raising. I don't invision 500,000 Christians, Jews, Buhdists, Hindus, or Scientologists chanting "death to Iran!" Or "Death to Iraq!" Do you my statement is fair?
sheskew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 10:21:37 PM

Examples that come immediately to mind include:
(*) The North Ireland Troubles - Wikipedia records bombings on 79 different dates from 1969 - present.
(*) The Yugoslav Wars - Roman Catholic Croats, Orthodox Catholic Serbs, and Muslim Bosnians engaged in mutual three-way campaigns of genocide and mass rape from 1991 to 2001.
(*) West Bank Conflict - Jews and Muslims have engaged in an extremely lopsided war for control of Jerusalem and surrounding territory since the creation of the Israeli state. Israelis maintain control of the West Bank by imprisoning the Arab population in a system of walls and checkpoints that are eerily reminiscent of German concentration camps. International tribunals have found both sides guilty of war crimes in the most recent flareup of their conflict in Gaza.

Those are off the top of my head, backed up with just a couple minutes of quick checks on Google. I am sad to say that there are probably many recent conflicts that I have missed. American Christianity is fairly peaceful -- its worst crime is probably the funneling of money to militant Christian groups overseas. Worldwide, however, the Christian faith has a great deal of fresh blood on its hands.

Personally, most of the Christians I know are good people and I sleep well at night knowing that they are my neighbors. However, I also personally know some of the Christians who are directly involved in the militarization of the faith, including a local businessman who raised funds from believers to have a group of our local police force flown to Israel where they received training from the Israeli military. He solicited me for donations to help him send a second group.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 10:30:06 PM
At 8/9/2015 9:46:02 PM, Sooner wrote:

----
How about "Death to America!" Chants by crowds of hundreds of thousands of Muslims?(Youtube "Death to America" if you want to see something dark and hair raising. I don't invision 500,000 Christians, Jews, Buhdists, Hindus, or Scientologists chanting "death to Iran!" Or "Death to Iraq!" Do you my statement is fair?

But I don't think that has a lot to do with islam. I mean, "death to america" was invented by north koreans, not muslims!
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 10:42:27 PM
At 8/9/2015 9:16:49 PM, sheskew wrote:

If we have a group of Americans with a negative attitude towards religion, and America is subjected to a deadly attack by religious extremists, it should come as a surprise to exactly no one that the people who already mistrusted religion will conclude that their mistrust was justified, and that their criticisms will get more public attention. I don't consider myself an angry atheist, but you don't have to go further than Youtube to confirm that there are some angry atheists in the world.

The 9/11 attacks (and in fact all of the jihad-related violence we've seen over the past 15 years) also directly undermines the claim that religion has a net positive influence on the world. I hope this motives practitioners of all religions to do some housecleaning and remove the homicidal murderers from their fold. At least that would be a tiny silver lining amidst all of this ugliness and death.

Response: Good point. Well said.
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 11:19:12 PM
At 8/9/2015 10:30:06 PM, Otokage wrote:
At 8/9/2015 9:46:02 PM, Sooner wrote:

----

But I don't think that has a lot to do with islam. I mean, "death to america" was invented by north koreans, not muslims!

-----
I didn't create my cooking stove either, but I'm still responsible for what comes out of it.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 11:30:17 PM

Tell that to all those that died of AIDS in Africa because they couldn't use a condom due to religious belief.
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 11:37:41 PM

I do not think this is true. I think I, like most atheists/agnostics, are universally disappointed in people's willingness to believe in unsubstantiated myths and tales - this trend was on the rise before 9/11 and continues today.

If anything, 9/11 made religions hate each other moreso than they previously did.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 11:46:02 PM
At 8/9/2015 11:30:17 PM, slo1 wrote:

Tell that to all those that died of AIDS in Africa because they couldn't use a condom due to religious belief.

Refusal to use a condom is not why they got AIDS. If AIDS is spread through sharing needles, condoms will do nothing. Frequent contact with fluids that can spread it (blood, vomit, sweat, spittle, urine, etc) is not prevented through condoms. The only thing a condom can prevent, as far as I'm aware, is transmission through sexual activity, and abstinence is better than condoms in this regard. Of course, there is rape, but other than that...
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 11:56:51 PM
At 8/9/2015 11:46:02 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 8/9/2015 11:30:17 PM, slo1 wrote:

Refusal to use a condom is not why they got AIDS. If AIDS is spread through sharing needles, condoms will do nothing. Frequent contact with fluids that can spread it (blood, vomit, sweat, spittle, urine, etc) is not prevented through condoms. The only thing a condom can prevent, as far as I'm aware, is transmission through sexual activity, and abstinence is better than condoms in this regard. Of course, there is rape, but other than that...

So everyone who commits a sin should do so at their own risk of life or death? You made my point on exactly how religious belief continues to do extreme damage to the world and those in it.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 7:15:10 AM
At 8/9/2015 8:13:57 PM, Sooner wrote:

-----
What is the lie exactly. It says after sept. 11th Atheists started hating religion more. Show me the lie.

Atheists hating religion is the lie.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 7:43:50 AM

So in the end, the alleged hatred only sparked a revival true Islam.

Fati, as you constantly refuse to answer my question in the appropriate forum I will ask you again here. In your "now that homosexual marriage is legal" topic you state on over 40 occasions that "children like sex". What, if any, evidence can you provide for this dubious assertion?
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 8:28:33 AM
At 8/10/2015 7:15:10 AM, bulproof wrote:

-----

------
The person I responded to wasn't an Atheist, si it wouldn't be "the lie" to them, but the fact YOU say Atheists don't hate religion is laughable at best. Would you like a 30 post copy and paste of your former post?
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 8:58:05 AM
At 8/9/2015 10:21:37 PM, sheskew wrote:

Examples that come immediately to mind include:
(*) The North Ireland Troubles - Wikipedia records bombings on 79 different dates from 1969 - present.
(*) The Yugoslav Wars - Roman Catholic Croats, Orthodox Catholic Serbs, and Muslim Bosnians engaged in mutual three-way campaigns of genocide and mass rape from 1991 to 2001.
(*) West Bank Conflict - Jews and Muslims have engaged in an extremely lopsided war for control of Jerusalem and surrounding territory since the creation of the Israeli state. Israelis maintain control of the West Bank by imprisoning the Arab population in a system of walls and checkpoints that are eerily reminiscent of German concentration camps. International tribunals have found both sides guilty of war crimes in the most recent flareup of their conflict in Gaza.

Those are off the top of my head, backed up with just a couple minutes of quick checks on Google. I am sad to say that there are probably many recent conflicts that I have missed. American Christianity is fairly peaceful -- its worst crime is probably the funneling of money to militant Christian groups overseas. Worldwide, however, the Christian faith has a great deal of fresh blood on its hands.

Personally, most of the Christians I know are good people and I sleep well at night knowing that they are my neighbors. However, I also personally know some of the Christians who are directly involved in the militarization of the faith, including a local businessman who raised funds from believers to have a group of our local police force flown to Israel where they received training from the Israeli military. He solicited me for donations to help him send a second group.

-----------
What has kept Christianity's modern version from being read to justify killing more than Islam is it's hard to take Jesus' teachings of love as declarations of killing. "Love your enemy..." "Be merciful..", "forgive", etc.
Mix the Quran, Suna, and Hadiths and the books themselves are teaching death and destruction. In other words to kill, be violent, etc. Means you are directly disobeying your teachers words and commands, which means you aren't a real follower of his. To kill and become violent in Islam means you ARE following your teacher's words and are being a Muslim. The Quran specifically says to kill infidels, Christians, and Jews. Any Muslims care to challenge? I've got them copied. I can paste them. And this isn't one or two iffy suras. I think the religion has given religion a bad name. If the religion based violence excluded Islam, the remains from all other religions combined in recent times would exist but wouldn't cause Atheists to be so anti religion. I think Sept. 11th caused Atheists to focus on Islam and learn more about it, and this one religion has given them most of their fuel to put up walls to challenge and block other religions. Before Sept 11th, when I debated with Atheists Islam rarely came up. Now it's every day. Atheists started using words like "stupid", "ignorance", etc since then. Most of them used to actually speak to me like we were eye level and they politely declined. The nature of discussions was much more polite on both sides. It's disappointing...
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 9:03:27 AM

Sooner, I refer to your attention the US attacks on science and secular thought commencing in the late 1980s with the Intelligent Design movement, and continuing today [https://en.wikipedia.org...]. I'd refer you also to the extensive scandals regarding the decades-long concealment of child molestation exposed in Christian organisations in multiple English-speaking countries, also continuing today [https://en.wikipedia.org...], and the scandals regarding the Roman Catholic Church and the AIDS epidemic in Africa, commencing in the 1980s, and whose effects are still felt today. [https://en.wikipedia.org...]

In the US and elsewhere, Christianity has in itself offered plenty to criticise in the last quarter century, and the criticisms leveled are often very different from those leveled against Islamic nationalism. Moreover, many of the criticisms -- especially of the more conservative forms of Christianity -- are leveled not just by atheists, but also by progressive Christians, and members of other faiths. [https://en.wikipedia.org...]

Finally, in the US, atheists and Muslims are almost equally disliked by Christians. [http://www.pewforum.org...], and the US has a long standing antipathy toward atheism, while not all Christian sects are disliked equally by atheists. So it may be that some anti-atheistic sentiment originates in key Christian sects, and has created its own response.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 10:16:21 AM
At 8/10/2015 8:28:33 AM, Sooner wrote:

-----

------
The person I responded to wasn't an Atheist, si it wouldn't be "the lie" to them, but the fact YOU say Atheists don't hate religion is laughable at best. Would you like a 30 post copy and paste of your former post?

Go for it if you can count that far.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 10:46:22 AM
At 8/10/2015 10:16:21 AM, bulproof wrote:

-----

------

--------
Gotta stand for something bulproof, or you'll fall for anything. What do you stand for? Are you a Muslim now? Two days ago religion was stupid and for ignorant fools. Are you an advocate of Islam? If anyone would agree with my post, I would have thought it was you. What happened? Did you convert?
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 10:48:43 AM

-----

------

------
If I can count that far? Really? That's what you've got? Yes, obviously I don't know how to count. Clever....
Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 11:04:48 AM
At 8/10/2015 10:48:43 AM, Sooner wrote:

-----

------

------
Here. I'll use one of your past posts to involve you in the conversation seeing you've desided to put no effort into your responses but still dribble something out here and there. Your "Jesus' Wisdom..." post summed it up for me.
1)You are not educated on religion at all.
2)But you still take the stance that religions are all stupi, etc.
3)No normal person tries to attack something every single day that they aren't even willing to study up on and no nothing about. You do though. Congrats. If I were a full blown Atheist and was going to spend that much time devoting my life to religious debate, I'd at least know the "Sermon on the mount" or the "pillars of Islam". Your just here jabber jabber jabber. Why even post?
4)
Bulproof: "Was Muhamad drunk?"