Jump to topic:

Who believes in Ghosts?

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 1:00:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you do why? And do you believe in gods?
If you don't then why? And do you believe in gods?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 1:24:59 PM
At 8/10/2015 1:00:11 PM, bulproof wrote:

No. Lack of definitive evidence (empirical or sufficient personal experience). Additionally, people tend to see faces, patterns, and figures/shapes (Apophenia/Pareidolia) in inanimate objects as a cognitive function of our minds. Furthermore, I believe there are other tendencies that cause us to attach intent to occurrences in order to promote the perception of a predictable pattern (which our minds crave). If one's keys go missing, for instance, people are incline to ask "who took my keys", when it reality, there is no indication that there was any intention behind the event.

As an aside, I found this article titled, Galvanizing Ghosts (https://www.psychologytoday.com...).
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 3:01:58 PM
At 8/10/2015 1:24:59 PM, Chaosism wrote:

No. Lack of definitive evidence (empirical or sufficient personal experience). Additionally, people tend to see faces, patterns, and figures/shapes (Apophenia/Pareidolia) in inanimate objects as a cognitive function of our minds. Furthermore, I believe there are other tendencies that cause us to attach intent to occurrences in order to promote the perception of a predictable pattern (which our minds crave). If one's keys go missing, for instance, people are incline to ask "who took my keys", when it reality, there is no indication that there was any intention behind the event.

As an aside, I found this article titled, Galvanizing Ghosts (https://www.psychologytoday.com...).

Fair comment and well responded to the OP.
Got any others?
ex_friend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 12:01:14 AM
If you don't then why? And do you believe in gods? : :

God has made many of his people observe ghosts, UFO's, mother Mary sitting near a bush, Jesus flying in the clouds, etc.

Don't ever think that God can't make you see something that no other person in this world can see.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 6:20:51 AM

I don't know what to believe. It would be close minded if i concluded some of my experiences were ghosts. Yet, i have had experiences that i cannot explain that would relate to the idea of a ghost.

Do i believe in god? Not the way others do. I do not think there is one all mighty being giving orders and rules; that sounds and is clearly illustrative of human creation.

Do i believe in gods? Yes and no. I don't know what definition you are giving to the word "god."

To explain my "yes" answer: I define gods as immortals. I think we are all immortals. Does that mean we are all powerful, no. Is there some immortals more powerful than the rest... yes. Do i think there was an original immortal that started the chain; yes and i can explain it logically. Have you seen the new Avengers? When Ultron comes to life? First it is all darkness and a question: Who am i? What am i? Where am i? Very valid questions of a sentient being. Do i think the first immortal came into existence knowing everything... no. I think from those questions it evolved. I think there is an infinite chain of immortals, or it can be finite yet infinite bc it never stops. This would explain how the first immortal was created; you can call it god i guess, but not really... it just happened to be the first consciousness in this place we call a universe. However, my view suggests mutliverses... or who knows... where does the universe end? maybe it ends when it turns into a different reality.

My view is we are all immortals. For an immortal to live an experience, as of what we know, it must become mortal. The implications of an immortal consciousness is huge. How would you deal with immortality? What would you do? Coincidentally, i think mortality is a very creative creation to live experiences.

How does this fit into ghosts? Well, i hope one day science looks at it my way to help me figure this out. Can it be my immortal self that somehow has an effect on this world through manipulating my atoms, thoughts, molecules, etc Can it be your immortal self doing the same? Can it be when we are collectively in a spot our immortal energy can do something?

Last event that happened to me that was paranormal was at a friends, friends house. He was swearing that his house is haunted by something evil or aggressive. I took of my necklace which had a ring on it. I held it like my life depended on the necklace not spinning, and told the guy to tell the ghost to spin it. It started a slow spin to the right and eventually became a violent and fast spin to my surprise. I told him to tell it to stop spinning and tell it to spin it to the left now. It went from a violent right spin, slowly to a stop, then slowly to a violent left spin. You can imagine at this point i was shocked; dropping my necklace. I would love to take you to the house to test it again; however, this friends friend happen to die about 3 weeks later.

What did this? How did that happen? Was it the friends higher self proving to me and my friend its power bc it knew the eventual death coming? Or... was it a ghost? I prefer looking at it as individuals... i prefer to look at it as we are the special beings that do not hold all the answers.

I have in one of my questions i just asked... Why can i not be god? When i say this, what i am referring to is my immortality. Why can't i think i am a powerful immortal? Why shouldn't everyone think like this? If you are wrong, at least you lived this life believing you are powerful when others feel like slaves or fear demons. If you are right... wouldn't it be better that you acknowledged your power? Id rather believe that i am powerful... and, it does show in my current life. Not saying that to boast... just saying anyone can do it, but not everyone can do it is where i see what this world is.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 6:43:27 AM

I think as we all learned in the scooby do cartoons the "ghost" would always end up being old man Jenkins trying to scare the kinds away or some sh*t like that.

Yet every episode Scooby and Shaggy would forget about their previous ghost/swamp monster encounters and run around sh*t scared.................until they caught the ghost.

And I would of gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you damm kids............
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 7:37:53 AM
I have more experiences than most, throughout my life, of what some would consider the supernatural. I have a seen 'apparitions' at our previous property which was 'haunted' for 11 of the 15 years we lived there! We experienced the weirdest of activity. However, in spite of all that I still believe there is a very natural explanation for what is perceived as the paranormal!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 8:29:15 AM
At 10/3/2015 6:43:27 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I think as we all learned in the scooby do cartoons the "ghost" would always end up being old man Jenkins trying to scare the kinds away or some sh*t like that.

Yet every episode Scooby and Shaggy would forget about their previous ghost/swamp monster encounters and run around sh*t scared.................until they caught the ghost.

And I would of gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you damm kids............

Well played IC. I dips me lid.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 8:57:31 AM

I pray to all the gods which don't exist that the Wallabys lay the ghost of English rugby tonight.
Cymru am byth.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 9:22:56 AM
At 10/3/2015 8:57:31 AM, desmac wrote:

I pray to all the gods which don't exist that the Wallabys lay the ghost of English rugby tonight.
Cymru am byth.

Oi Oi Oi.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 10:16:55 PM
At 10/3/2015 7:37:53 AM, JJ50 wrote:
I have more experiences than most, throughout my life, of what some would consider the supernatural. I have a seen 'apparitions' at our previous property which was 'haunted' for 11 of the 15 years we lived there! We experienced the weirdest of activity. However, in spite of all that I still believe there is a very natural explanation for what is perceived as the paranormal!

I like how you think. I am the same way... i have seen some crazy things but to conclude it is supernatural would be intellectually lazy. Especially with apparitions... i mean our mind is a powerful thing. My uncle is a neurologist and i told him some of my experiences. He told me they scratch the surface to the things he has heard from various clients. However, it is interesting you said "we." When i have an experience by myself it is easier to dish it out to maybe a momentary lapse in my mentality. But, the ones i have had with others witnessing the same thing (like the story i mentioned) is harder to make sense of. I think we are going to find some crazy things out about us in the future.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 4:14:03 PM
At 10/2/2015 10:00:25 PM, IntellectVsSpirit5000 wrote:
What kind of ghosts?

Ones with creamy centers and crunchy coatings.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 7:34:46 PM
If some scientific phenomenon worked like a camera capturing light showed us an image of aliens from distant galaxies in the way that we see distant light from ancient stars. Perhaps a trapped light image might show us a part of their day one day if we knew how to recapture, isolate, or interpret it. An advanced species might know how to exist in a less finite 2ay than us, moving as energy but in a faint image. Then there are ghosts who are the image of the dead, spirits, or beings from b3yond the 3rd dimension as we know it. In a virtual reality simulation one might see aperitions around that were programmed into that reality. There are all kinds of theoretical Physics ideas that allow for "ghosts".
IntellectVsSpirit5000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2015 7:40:22 PM
Gods? Of course. There are creators of worlds all around us in our own reality. Humans make video game worlds like Halo and virtual realities, and simulations. Someone, God/Designer/Creator/Your word choice created our reality, and Quantum Physics, the behaviors and constructs of atoms, andthe fabric of the medium of our reality/space declare our creator.