Jump to topic:

There are No Atheists

Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 1:56:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
My sister told me this. I disagreed with her. I told her I wasn't religious particularly, so I would kind of know. She asked me if I thought God didn't exist. I said maybe, maybe not, but maybe.

She is a nurse that stays with dying people to makes their last days better. Everyone asks for a preacher. Everyone, she said.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 1:59:04 PM
At 8/10/2015 1:56:08 PM, Sooner wrote:
My sister told me this. I disagreed with her. I told her I wasn't religious particularly, so I would kind of know. She asked me if I thought God didn't exist. I said maybe, maybe not, but maybe.

She is a nurse that stays with dying people to makes their last days better. Everyone asks for a preacher. Everyone, she said.

Do you live in a primarily religious place? If those people had spent their last days in a highly secular place (like where I live), the situation may be different.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 2:07:10 PM

I am at the side of the dying unfortunately quite frequently, and in my experience, no one who is on their deathbed in their last days is truly in any rational state of mind, especially taking into account the level of potent drugs typically used for the sake of comfort. Additionally, since most people are religious (regarding the US), I can see that a lot of people would request a minister or other religious figure. I don't see how this relates to atheism unless she specifically knew that these people were, in fact, atheists.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 2:07:30 PM

F*cking rubbish
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 2:25:30 PM

I was a nurse for a little while in the late 60s, I nursed dying patients and most didn't ask for a member of the clergy to be there when they died.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 2:35:22 PM
At 8/10/2015 2:25:30 PM, JJ50 wrote:

I was a nurse for a little while in the late 60s, I nursed dying patients and most didn't ask for a member of the clergy to be there when they died.

I think a lot just of people just say "OK" when asked if they'd like to see a clergy member, I think, rather than outright requesting it.
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2015 4:03:00 PM
You're lying or she is. We know for a fact that many people do not ask for a preacher. Of course in America, because 90% of Americans do have religious beliefs, people will ask for a preacher. But here's how we know that someone is being dishonest, whether its you or your sister. Wiccans don't convert to Christianity on their death beds. They ask for a Wiccan priest. Muslim's will ask for a Muslim cleric. People who are from India will ask for a Krishna priest. This proves that people do not fear your God. They fear their own God.
It shows that there is no natural inclination of man to choose the Christian religion. People naturally choose the religion that they are a part of, or that they were brought up with. Atheists usually do not choose a priest, but because they only make up 5% of the population, your sister rarely saw someone that didn't ask for a preacher or priest, so it seemed to her that everyone asks for one. I'll bet, however, if we put a camera in the rooms we'd find that most atheists do not convert to a religion on their death beds. We'd also find that many religious people do not ask for a preacher. My dad was a Christian and he didn't ask for the preacher when he died. Neither did either one of my grandparents.