Jump to topic:

Apollo 13 Proved Power of Prayer!!!

August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 1:41:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
So after working out today here at my Box I went home for a quick dinner and flipped on the TV and the old but great movie Appollo 13 was one. i watched the last 30 minutes or so and they showed how in real life that when the astronauts were on there way back the whole world prayed for them! Yes! The Pope organized a live group prayer for millions? and even Walter Kronkite told people to pray. As you know they made it back fine despite great obstacles. even some impossibiities. like on there-entry it was only supposed to last for 3 minutes! the houston control guys at NASA said any longer and their capsule would burn up. But it took them over 4 minutes and they lived.
It hit me that this was a example of the Power of Prayer! on w world wide level. God knowed that the Appollo was on a World Stage and answered this prayer as a Sign, but unfortunate this was lost on many. Except for us True Believers. Do even atheists need any more proof of the Power of Prayer???? To say it wasn't God at work is Denial. This my brothers is Clear. My Church does Group prayer all the time and I see results weekly. But watching this movie re-firmed my belief that God is Great.
God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 2:10:34 AM
At 8/11/2015 1:41:05 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
So after working out today here at my Box I went home for a quick dinner and flipped on the TV and the old but great movie Appollo 13 was one. i watched the last 30 minutes or so and they showed how in real life that when the astronauts were on there way back the whole world prayed for them! Yes! The Pope organized a live group prayer for millions? and even Walter Kronkite told people to pray. As you know they made it back fine despite great obstacles. even some impossibiities. like on there-entry it was only supposed to last for 3 minutes! the houston control guys at NASA said any longer and their capsule would burn up. But it took them over 4 minutes and they lived.
It hit me that this was a example of the Power of Prayer! on w world wide level. God knowed that the Appollo was on a World Stage and answered this prayer as a Sign, but unfortunate this was lost on many. Except for us True Believers. Do even atheists need any more proof of the Power of Prayer???? To say it wasn't God at work is Denial. This my brothers is Clear. My Church does Group prayer all the time and I see results weekly. But watching this movie re-firmed my belief that God is Great.
God Bless.

I'm sure the families of Apollo 1 and Shuttle missions 51 and 107 will be thrilled to hear of your Hollywood revelation. Praise Jesus!
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 2:15:33 AM
At 8/11/2015 2:10:34 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
God Bless.

I'm sure the families of Apollo 1 and Shuttle missions 51 and 107 will be thrilled to hear of your Hollywood revelation. Praise Jesus!

Praise Jesus! But we didnt do group prayer for those missions--we didnt have a chance because they happened to fast before we could organize for it. If we HAD then results would have been different and the P of P would again of showed is its amazing Powers.
God Bless!
ex_friend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 2:44:26 AM
God Bless. : :

Christians don't understand this;

Matthew 6
1: "Beware of practicing your piety before men in order to be seen by them; for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
2: "Thus, when you give alms, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
3: But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
4: so that your alms may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
5: "And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
6: But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
7: "And in praying do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their many words.
8: Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
9: Pray then like this: Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 2:48:47 AM
At 8/11/2015 2:44:26 AM, ex_friend wrote:

Matthew 6
1: "Beware of practicing your piety before men in order to be seen by them; for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
2: "Thus, when you give alms, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
3: But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
4: so that your alms may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
5: "And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
6: But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
7: "And in praying do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their many words.

but those quotes dont really apply to my Post, Brad. Jesus was speaking in people who pray to be seen, who put on airs, like some of the Pharisees. JC was NOT talking of Him having any problem with sincere and caring Group Prayer for a good cause. With Jesus it was all about our intent and motives. Are the pure? from the heart? Unselfish> If they are then He is fine with wherever we pray and with whomever.
God Bless.
ex_friend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 2:55:57 AM
At 8/11/2015 2:48:47 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/11/2015 2:44:26 AM, ex_friend wrote:

Matthew 6

but those quotes dont really apply to my Post, Brad. Jesus was speaking in people who pray to be seen, who put on airs, like some of the Pharisees. JC was NOT talking of Him having any problem with sincere and caring Group Prayer for a good cause. With Jesus it was all about our intent and motives. Are the pure? from the heart? Unselfish> If they are then He is fine with wherever we pray and with whomever.

You have no idea what Jesus, Peter, Timothy, Paul and I possess.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 3:01:29 AM
At 8/11/2015 2:15:33 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
God Bless.

Praise Jesus! But we didnt do group prayer for those missions--we didnt have a chance because they happened to fast before we could organize for it. If we HAD then results would have been different and the P of P would again of showed is its amazing Powers.
God Bless!

And, I would love to be standing right there when you told them that to their faces, we'd really be seeing some whacking upside the head, your head.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 3:01:54 AM
So after working out today <snip>
God knowed that the Appollo was on a World Stage and answered this prayer as a Sign

On the other hand, there were six succsessful lunar landings and returns all without world-wide prayer.

What got them back safely was the education, dedication, knowledge and training of the the people involved.

Just one example:
https://en.wikipedia.org...
The last problem to be solved was how to separate the Lunar Module ...To solve the problem,...A team of six UT engineers ... led by senior scientist Bernard Etkin, (solved) the problem in one day. .

Engineers and scientists - not god - solved the problems. Scientists, like the people who developed mankind's knowledge of gravity, rockets, computers and, oh yes, evolution.

Do even atheists need any more proof of the Power of Prayer????

Proof??? How about a teeny bit of evidence?
Think
ex_friend
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 3:05:13 AM
At 8/11/2015 2:15:33 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
God Bless.

God Bless! : :

Acts 17
24: The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man,
25: nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all men life and breath and everything.
26: And he made from one every nation of men to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their habitation,
27: that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel after him and find him. Yet he is not far from each one of us,
28: for ..In him we live and move and have our being'; as even some of your poets have said, ..For we are indeed his offspring.'
29: Being then God's offspring, we ought not to think that the Deity is like gold, or silver, or stone, a representation by the art and imagination of man.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 3:09:43 AM
At 8/11/2015 3:01:54 AM, ecco wrote:
God knowed that the Appollo was on a World Stage and answered this prayer as a Sign

On the other hand, there were six succsessful lunar landings and returns all without world-wide prayer.

What got them back safely was the education, dedication, knowledge and training of the the people involved.

Just one example:
The last problem to be solved was how to separate the Lunar Module ...To solve the problem,...A team of six UT engineers ... led by senior scientist Bernard Etkin, (solved) the problem in one day. .

Engineers and scientists - not god - solved the problems. Scientists, like the people who developed mankind's knowledge of gravity, rockets, computers and, oh yes, evolution.

the lunar module? LOL. that had nothing to do with their miraculous re-entry. they already jettisined the LM. And the proof is that they survived way past the 3 minute limit, which your precious engineers all decided was the absolute limit before frying. So God helped. Simple really. you failed to address the heat shield problem, which btw was DAMAGED! so I think thats pretty good proof. but I was once a Atheist too so I know how oyu guys need more and more and more to fill the Hole in the Soul.
so here IS some more proof on the Amazing Power of Prayer!!!!! God bless.

http://1stholistic.com...
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 3:41:15 AM
At 8/11/2015 3:09:43 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Just one example:

the lunar module? LOL. that had nothing to do with their miraculous re-entry. they already jettisined the LM.

It had everything to do with the re-entry.
Maybe you should read the article from the link I posted before making silly comments.

The last problem to be solved was how to separate the Lunar Module a safe distance away from the Command Module just before re-entry. The normal procedure was to use the Service Module's reaction control system (RCS) to pull the CSM away after releasing the LM along with the Command Module's docking ring, but this RCS was inoperative because of the power failure, and the useless SM would be released before the LM. To solve the problem, Grumman called on the engineering expertise of the University of Toronto. A team of six UT engineers was formed, led by senior scientist Bernard Etkin, to solve the problem in one day. The team concluded that pressurizing the tunnel connecting the Lunar Module to the Command Module just before separation would provide the force necessary to push the two modules a safe distance away from each other just prior to re-entry. The team had 6 hours to compute the pressure required, using slide rules. They needed an accurate calculation, as too high a pressure might damage the hatch and its seal, causing the astronauts to burn up; too low a pressure would fail to provide sufficient separation of the LM. Grumman relayed their calculation to NASA, and from there in turn to the astronauts, who used it successfully.[24]

And the proof is that they survived way past the 3 minute limit, which your precious engineers all decided was the absolute limit before frying.

Wrong again. the time referred to a communications blackout:
The re-entry on a lunar mission normally was accompanied by about four minutes of typical communications blackout caused by ionization of the air around the Command Module. The blackout in Apollo 13's reentry lasted six minutes, which was 87 seconds longer than had been expected

Simple really. you failed to address the heat shield problem,

Please be more specific. Please provide a link.

so here IS some more proof on the Amazing Power of Prayer!!!!!

OK, I went there and read...

There is ample proof that prayer works. Many scientific studies have been conducted that validate this observation.

The first one shown is:

A 1993 Israeli survey following 10,000 civil servants for 26 years found that Orthodox Jews were less likely to die of cardiovascular problems than "nonbelievers".

Maybe gullible people will read that and go "Oh WOW!"

But some of us will read that and ask:
Why is a survey being referred to as a scientific study?
Who conducted the survey?
Were they biased?
Do Orthodox Jews have better diets than "nonbelievers"?
Think
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 4:53:39 AM

Just one example:

This^
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 9:56:02 AM
I recently saw a very good doco on Apollo 13 Ithink you need to see it Burnsy, no gods involved just humans, a far superior life form.
JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 11:21:09 AM
The survival of the Apollo 13 crew was a triumph of on the fly engineering, creativity, and ingenuity. The crew and support staff have themselves to thank for avoiding that near disaster. It was their quick thinking and refusal to give up that got the crew home safe and sound. Not your imaginary friend.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 1:22:59 PM
Nothing in that mission was truly impossible.
Furthermore, whenever prayer has been tested in a scientific way the conclusio An n has always been that it does not work (beyond the realm of chance or psychological placebo).

Last, prayer itself is illogical.
P1) An Omniscient beings mind cannot be changed.
P2) An Omnipotent beings will will always be done.
P3) What is not an Omnipotenet beings will will not be done.
P4) God is defined with omniscience and omnipotence.
C1) Gods mind is unchanging, gods will will always be done, and what is not gods will will not be done.
P5) Prayer is used to change the outcome of certain events.
P6) If what was being prayed for was already gods will, it would be done regardless of if it was prayed for or not.
P7) If what waa being prayed for is not gods will, it wont be done even if prayed for.
C2) Prayer does not work.

Sorry for any grammatical errors, I am posting this from my phone.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 1:24:24 PM
God Bless.

GARBAGE!
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 2:55:16 PM

so here IS some more proof on the Amazing Power of Prayer!!!!! God bless.

Care to respond to my Post # 11?
Think
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 3:03:45 PM
the lunar module? LOL. that had nothing to do with their miraculous re-entry. they already jettisined the LM.

"The last problem to be solved was how to separate the Lunar Module a safe distance away from the Command Module just before re-entry." https://en.wikipedia.org...

And the proof is that they survived way past the 3 minute limit, which your precious engineers all decided was the absolute limit before frying.

Three minutes was how long they expected the communication blackout to take. It wasn't some miraculous limit beyond which all hope was lost. The communication blackout lasted about 30 seconds longer than expected which made people start to worry something had happened.

Why don't you bother reading up on facts before making stuff up?
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 5:17:59 PM
At 8/11/2015 1:24:24 PM, JJ50 wrote:
God Bless.

GARBAGE!

one man's garbage is another man's Treasure. LOL. I treasure God and His miraculous Works. God Bless.
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 3:46:19 PM
At 8/11/2015 5:17:59 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

GARBAGE!

one man's garbage is another man's Treasure. LOL. I treasure God and His miraculous Works. God Bless.

You still haven't respond to my Post # 11
Think
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 8:13:26 PM
At 8/12/2015 3:46:19 PM, ecco wrote:
At 8/11/2015 5:17:59 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

GARBAGE!

hey ecco! uhh..I didnt answer because I dont understand what it is your asking me?
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 8:21:13 PM

Just one example:

Yes-- if ALL we had for those astronauts on Apollo 13 was the power of prayer, well, people would be praying over their memorials today...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 2:25:49 AM
At 8/12/2015 8:13:26 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

hey ecco! uhh..I didnt answer because I dont understand what it is your asking me?

How about addressing the part where I corrected you regarding the separation of the Lunar Module.

How about addressing the part where I showed that what you called a three minute fry time was really a four minute communications blackout time.

How about where you talked about a heat shield problem and gave no specifics. I asked for a link and you failed to provide one.

How about where you stated:
http://1stholistic.com......

Which read:
There is ample proof that prayer works. Many scientific studies have been conducted that validate this observation.
A 1993 Israeli survey following 10,000 civil servants for 26 years found that Orthodox Jews were less likely to die of cardiovascular problems than "nonbelievers".

And I responded with several more questions for you:

Were they biased?

You addressed none of my points and responded to none of my questions. And when called out on it your response is:
: hey ecco! uhh..I didnt answer because I dont understand what it is your asking me?

That's really lame.
Think
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 2:36:44 AM
At 8/13/2015 2:25:49 AM, ecco wrote:

How about addressing the part where I corrected you regarding the separation of the Lunar Module.

How about addressing the part where I showed that what you called a three minute fry time was really a four minute communications blackout time.

How about where you talked about a heat shield problem and gave no specifics. I asked for a link and you failed to provide one.

Which read:

Were they biased?

You addressed none of my points and responded to none of my questions. And when called out on it your response is:
: hey ecco! uhh..I didnt answer because I dont understand what it is your asking me?

That's really lame.

A survey IS a study. And eventually Science will figure out that the medium that the Power of Prayer works by IS science based. Im guessing its going to be of the quantum mechanical level. As far as "who conducted the survey?" Lots of people. there's been many done. the first one I heard of was on heart patients in San Francisco back in the mid 1980s. Google that and you should be able to find out all you want.
As to id they were biased? again, which studies? Im guessing some were, like most studies and some were pretty objective. As far as your Question on the diets of Orthodox Jews, I have no idea. God Bless.
ecco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 3:13:21 AM
At 8/13/2015 2:36:44 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Which read:

Were they biased?

That's really lame.

A survey IS a study.

A survey is not the same as a scientific study. You posted to the link with:

Your link stated it was a scientific study. If the people running the website where honest they would not have put it under a heading stating:
Many scientific studies

As far as "who conducted the survey?" Lots of people. there's been many done.

I was referring to the study on the website. Why didn't the website state who conducted the study? How do you know there even was a study?

the first one I heard of was on heart patients in San Francisco back in the mid 1980s. Google that and you should be able to find out all you want.

I already went to the specific website you said would show "some more proof on the Amazing Power of Prayer!!!!!". It didn't. Why should Google around to other sites when you cannot even defend the one you specifically referenced?

As to id they were biased? again, which studies?

The one I quoted from the website your recommended. The one I have been trying to discuss with you.

As far as your Question on the diets of Orthodox Jews, I have no idea.
That's understandable. The article did not make any reference to diet. However, don't you think that diet has a correlation to cardiovascular health? Did the people taking the survey take diet into consideration? A scientific study, at least a good one, would have.

You said that site would show "more proof on the Amazing Power of Prayer!!!!!" It's really sad that you would use the word "proof" when the site's first article is nothing more than a survey under the heading "There is ample proof that prayer works."

If I show you the many, many surveys that show that over 95% of scientists believe in evolution, would you consider that proof that evolution is true?
Think
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 3:21:35 AM
At 8/13/2015 3:13:21 AM, ecco wrote:
At 8/13/2015 2:36:44 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Which read:

Were they biased?

That's really lame.

A survey IS a study.

A survey is not the same as a scientific study. You posted to the link with:

Your link stated it was a scientific study. If the people running the website where honest they would not have put it under a heading stating:
Many scientific studies

As far as "who conducted the survey?" Lots of people. there's been many done.

I was referring to the study on the website. Why didn't the website state who conducted the study? How do you know there even was a study?

the first one I heard of was on heart patients in San Francisco back in the mid 1980s. Google that and you should be able to find out all you want.

I already went to the specific website you said would show "some more proof on the Amazing Power of Prayer!!!!!". It didn't. Why should Google around to other sites when you cannot even defend the one you specifically referenced?

As to id they were biased? again, which studies?

The one I quoted from the website your recommended. The one I have been trying to discuss with you.

As far as your Question on the diets of Orthodox Jews, I have no idea.
That's understandable. The article did not make any reference to diet. However, don't you think that diet has a correlation to cardiovascular health? Did the people taking the survey take diet into consideration? A scientific study, at least a good one, would have.

You said that site would show "more proof on the Amazing Power of Prayer!!!!!" It's really sad that you would use the word "proof" when the site's first article is nothing more than a survey under the heading "There is ample proof that prayer works."

If I show you the many, many surveys that show that over 95% of scientists believe in evolution, would you consider that proof that evolution is true?

Hey Ecco! thanks for writing. We'll just agree to let you do your own research on Prayer, OK? since there's so much stuff out there on the Web, from both good and less-than-objective (I admit!) people that a discussion and debate on it could take weeks! LOL
As far as your point on Evolution. It's a good one, sir. Im not sure if you know but I DO believe in Evolution. All the speication and the genetic mutations that were adapted by their hosts--IF they proved an advantage that is. Sure. My only diff on that with you is that I believe in Theistic Evolution. That God sparked it and drives it. That those mutations are not random at all. I also will cede the tens of million of years timespan but I dont believe it took over 3 billion years for us to go form microbe to fish. thats too long, even for God. I put it at about one tenth of that time.
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 3:34:45 AM
God Bless.

it's too bad that no one prayed for any the kids that died of cancer this year
oh right, god works in mysterious way