Jump to topic:

Is Islam a violent religion?

johannalam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 7:55:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm not convinced. Those of you who agree that it is, are most probably brainwashed by the western media, unless you have any other evidence to back up the fact that it is that does not include a western opinion.

Think Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand. Majority of the Muslim population.. Where's the violence? Extremism is a tiny minority and should not be generalised?
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 8:27:00 PM
At 8/11/2015 7:55:42 PM, johannalam wrote:
I'm not convinced. Those of you who agree that it is, are most probably brainwashed by the western media, unless you have any other evidence to back up the fact that it is that does not include a western opinion.

Think Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand. Majority of the Muslim population.. Where's the violence? Extremism is a tiny minority and should not be generalised?

- I am muslim & I appreciate you standing up for Islam even though you don't adhere to it. I like your grit, you're gonna need it. There are a lot of anti-Islamic trolls on this website, I hope they prove to be unsuccessful in discouraging you. :)
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 8:42:13 PM

Could it be said that the percentage of violent Muslim extremists is how violent Islam is?
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 9:17:45 PM
All religions - indeed all ideologies - have the potential to be used to encourage people to violence. The terrorist attacks by islamists today pale into insignificance against the atrocities comited by Europeans under the influence of Christian religious rhetoric in the medieval crusades, for example. A clash of non-religious ideologies resulted in the cold-war, which resulted in millions of deaths in countless small but deadly 'proxy wars'.

There are elements of Islam which make it particular prone to exploitation, but Islam is not intrinsically violent nor is it intrinsically peaceful - it can be used either way as can Chrisitianity, or captialism. What needs to be done is to take stock of why the particular interpretation of Islam that lead to 9-11 and ISIL has become so significant at this point in time. For instance, is it significant that Islam has become an enemy only now that communism isn't? Readers of 1984 will know that the important thing is to have an enemy... who the enemy is is beside the point.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 12:02:14 AM
At 8/11/2015 8:27:00 PM, Yassine wrote:

- I am muslim & I appreciate you standing up for Islam even though you don't adhere to it. I like your grit, you're gonna need it. There are a lot of anti-Islamic trolls on this website, I hope they prove to be unsuccessful in discouraging you. :)

Get your facts right. Malaysia is 61% Muslim and Thailand is 94% Buddhist.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 12:09:17 AM

According to a study I read in grad school they compared Muslim countries to South American catholic countries over the same time span and found Muslim countries were only 5% more likely to be violent.
Pase66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 2:00:43 AM

Well, I'm not going to take a position, but I'm going to give you some advice; do some research about Islam, from the point of view of both positions (yes, it is violent; and no, it isn't violent). Than, based on your research, formulate an opinion about it. The difference between your opinion and others is this; yours will be well informed, while others (who just judge based on preconceptions and what they hear) will just be their unfounded bias. Good luck!
Check out these Current Debates
It Cannot be Shown that The Qur'an is Revelation from God
http://www.debate.org...
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 2:57:01 AM
At 8/12/2015 12:02:14 AM, lotsoffun wrote:

Get your facts right. Malaysia is 61% Muslim and Thailand is 94% Buddhist.

- Hey! It's you again.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 3:01:44 AM

Muslims are not generally any more inherently violent than others. Where there is great concern is the so called moderate Muslims in Europe. Polls taken show a huge number of these people support isis. This is what is disturbing about Islam. Wolves in sheep's clothing.