Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Tearing of the Temple Curtain Explained!

August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 9:59:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What really proves more than anything to me, along with the physical evidence I still have, that my Salvation Experience was real and NOT a vision is in this following article that explains the meaning of the Tearing of the Temple Curtain in the Bible.. why does this prove to me even more? LOL. because its simple. I didnt know what this passage meant before it happened to me. and then when I find out what it means, weeks after I was Saved, it all made sense! that is was symbolic for ME and others to Break thru the Barrier and Meet God. through the Veil that once was only for the Rabbis and Holy. the Jews and not the Gentiles! So why would I get an Experience of Salvation with this particular Vision? that fit so perfectly my position at the time. since I was a non believer, a Atheist. I can't believe how Perfect God is and How His Signs are so exact and appropriate they seem like Science. (well it makes sense since Science IS God, or it shows us His Works!
I hope you enjoy the following explanation of this event my brothers and sisters. feel free to print it out and then follow along with the biblical refrences for verses in the post, by using your bible. Do it tonite when you pray before bed and ask He do the Same for You! I think He can! God Bless you.

Question: "What was the significance of the temple veil being torn in two when Jesus died?"

Answer: During the lifetime of Jesus, the holy temple in Jerusalem was the center of Jewish religious life. The temple was the place where animal sacrifices were carried out and worship according to the Law of Moses was followed faithfully. Hebrews 9:1-9 tells us that in the temple a veil separated the Holy of Holies"the earthly dwelling place of God"s presence"from the rest of the temple where men dwelt. This signified that man was separated from God by sin (Isaiah 59:1-2). Only the high priest was permitted to pass beyond this veil once each year (Exodus 30:10; Hebrews 9:7) to enter into God's presence for all of Israel and make atonement for their sins (Leviticus 16).

Solomon's temple was 30 cubits high (1 Kings 6:2), but Herod had increased the height to 40 cubits, according to the writings of Josephus, a first century Jewish historian. There is uncertainty as to the exact measurement of a cubit, but it is safe to assume that this veil was somewhere near 60 feet high. An early Jewish tradition says that the veil was about four inches thick, but the Bible does not confirm that measurement. The book of Exodus teaches that this thick veil was fashioned from blue, purple and scarlet material and fine twisted linen.

The size and thickness of the veil makes the events occurring at the moment of Jesus" death on the cross so much more momentous. "And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit. At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom" (Matthew 27:50-51a).

So, what do we make of this? What significance does this torn veil have for us today? Above all, the tearing of the veil at the moment of Jesus' death dramatically symbolized that His sacrifice, the shedding of His own blood, was a sufficient atonement for sins. It signified that now the way into the Holy of Holies was open for all people, for all time, both Jew and Gentile.

When Jesus died, the veil was torn, and God moved out of that place never again to dwell in a temple made with hands (Acts 17:24). God was through with that temple and its religious system, and the temple and Jerusalem were left "desolate" (destroyed by the Romans) in A.D. 70, just as Jesus prophesied in Luke 13:35. As long as the temple stood, it signified the continuation of the Old Covenant. Hebrews 9:8-9 refers to the age that was passing away as the new covenant was being established (Hebrews 8:13).

In a sense, the veil was symbolic of Christ Himself as the only way to the Father (John 14:6). This is indicated by the fact that the high priest had to enter the Holy of Holies through the veil. Now Christ is our superior High Priest, and as believers in His finished work, we partake of His better priesthood. We can now enter the Holy of Holies through Him. Hebrews 10:19-20 says that the faithful enter into the sanctuary by the "blood of Jesus, by the new and living way which he opened for us through the veil, that is, through his flesh." Here we see the image of Jesus" flesh being torn for us just as He was tearing the veil for us.

The veil being torn from top to bottom is a fact of history. The profound significance of this event is explained in glorious detail in Hebrews. The things of the temple were shadows of things to come, and they all ultimately point us to Jesus Christ. He was the veil to the Holy of Holies, and through His death the faithful now have free access to God.

The veil in the temple was a constant reminder that sin renders humanity unfit for the presence of God. The fact that the sin offering was offered annually and countless other sacrifices repeated daily showed graphically that sin could not truly be atoned for or erased by mere animal sacrifices. Jesus Christ, through His death, has removed the barriers between God and man, and now we may approach Him with confidence and boldness (Hebrews 4:14-16).
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
ReformedPresbyterian72598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 10:37:24 PM
At 8/11/2015 9:59:18 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
What really proves more than anything to me, along with the physical evidence I still have, that my Salvation Experience was real and NOT a vision is in this following article that explains the meaning of the Tearing of the Temple Curtain in the Bible.. why does this prove to me even more? LOL. because its simple. I didnt know what this passage meant before it happened to me. and then when I find out what it means, weeks after I was Saved, it all made sense! that is was symbolic for ME and others to Break thru the Barrier and Meet God. through the Veil that once was only for the Rabbis and Holy. the Jews and not the Gentiles! So why would I get an Experience of Salvation with this particular Vision? that fit so perfectly my position at the time. since I was a non believer, a Atheist. I can't believe how Perfect God is and How His Signs are so exact and appropriate they seem like Science. (well it makes sense since Science IS God, or it shows us His Works!
I hope you enjoy the following explanation of this event my brothers and sisters. feel free to print it out and then follow along with the biblical refrences for verses in the post, by using your bible. Do it tonite when you pray before bed and ask He do the Same for You! I think He can! God Bless you.

Question: "What was the significance of the temple veil being torn in two when Jesus died?"

Answer: During the lifetime of Jesus, the holy temple in Jerusalem was the center of Jewish religious life. The temple was the place where animal sacrifices were carried out and worship according to the Law of Moses was followed faithfully. Hebrews 9:1-9 tells us that in the temple a veil separated the Holy of Holies"the earthly dwelling place of God"s presence"from the rest of the temple where men dwelt. This signified that man was separated from God by sin (Isaiah 59:1-2). Only the high priest was permitted to pass beyond this veil once each year (Exodus 30:10; Hebrews 9:7) to enter into God's presence for all of Israel and make atonement for their sins (Leviticus 16).

Solomon's temple was 30 cubits high (1 Kings 6:2), but Herod had increased the height to 40 cubits, according to the writings of Josephus, a first century Jewish historian. There is uncertainty as to the exact measurement of a cubit, but it is safe to assume that this veil was somewhere near 60 feet high. An early Jewish tradition says that the veil was about four inches thick, but the Bible does not confirm that measurement. The book of Exodus teaches that this thick veil was fashioned from blue, purple and scarlet material and fine twisted linen.

The size and thickness of the veil makes the events occurring at the moment of Jesus" death on the cross so much more momentous. "And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit. At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom" (Matthew 27:50-51a).

So, what do we make of this? What significance does this torn veil have for us today? Above all, the tearing of the veil at the moment of Jesus' death dramatically symbolized that His sacrifice, the shedding of His own blood, was a sufficient atonement for sins. It signified that now the way into the Holy of Holies was open for all people, for all time, both Jew and Gentile.

When Jesus died, the veil was torn, and God moved out of that place never again to dwell in a temple made with hands (Acts 17:24). God was through with that temple and its religious system, and the temple and Jerusalem were left "desolate" (destroyed by the Romans) in A.D. 70, just as Jesus prophesied in Luke 13:35. As long as the temple stood, it signified the continuation of the Old Covenant. Hebrews 9:8-9 refers to the age that was passing away as the new covenant was being established (Hebrews 8:13).

In a sense, the veil was symbolic of Christ Himself as the only way to the Father (John 14:6). This is indicated by the fact that the high priest had to enter the Holy of Holies through the veil. Now Christ is our superior High Priest, and as believers in His finished work, we partake of His better priesthood. We can now enter the Holy of Holies through Him. Hebrews 10:19-20 says that the faithful enter into the sanctuary by the "blood of Jesus, by the new and living way which he opened for us through the veil, that is, through his flesh." Here we see the image of Jesus" flesh being torn for us just as He was tearing the veil for us.

The veil being torn from top to bottom is a fact of history. The profound significance of this event is explained in glorious detail in Hebrews. The things of the temple were shadows of things to come, and they all ultimately point us to Jesus Christ. He was the veil to the Holy of Holies, and through His death the faithful now have free access to God.

The veil in the temple was a constant reminder that sin renders humanity unfit for the presence of God. The fact that the sin offering was offered annually and countless other sacrifices repeated daily showed graphically that sin could not truly be atoned for or erased by mere animal sacrifices. Jesus Christ, through His death, has removed the barriers between God and man, and now we may approach Him with confidence and boldness (Hebrews 4:14-16).

Well done, well done!
You should read Alfred Edershiem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 10:38:14 PM

I should add that this was encouraging.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 1:35:22 AM
At 8/11/2015 10:37:24 PM, ReformedPresbyterian72598 wrote:

Well done, well done!

I did read a book of his once I think. he was a Jew who converted to Christian? the book was something like "The Life of Jesus our Messiah?" why do you like him? God bless.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 2:57:21 AM

Well said. Another connection I thought of with the curtain was Moses.

Exodus 34:29-35
When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the covenant law in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the Lord. 30 When Aaron and all the Israelites saw Moses, his face was radiant, and they were afraid to come near him. 31 But Moses called to them; so Aaron and all the leaders of the community came back to him, and he spoke to them. 32 Afterward all the Israelites came near him, and he gave them all the commands the Lord had given him on Mount Sinai.

33 When Moses finished speaking to them, he put a veil over his face. 34 But whenever he entered the Lord"s presence to speak with him, he removed the veil until he came out. And when he came out and told the Israelites what he had been commanded, 35 they saw that his face was radiant. Then Moses would put the veil back over his face until he went in to speak with the Lord.

People want a veil to separate them from the Truth or from Love.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 3:38:32 AM
At 8/12/2015 1:35:22 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/11/2015 10:37:24 PM, ReformedPresbyterian72598 wrote:

Well done, well done!

I did read a book of his once I think. he was a Jew who converted to Christian? the book was something like "The Life of Jesus our Messiah?" why do you like him? God bless.

Well, seeing as how I'm still early in life, I myself haven't gotten around to truly reading his books. That is a title of one of his accomplishments, and I believe i have heard from it. The one that I've heard from the most, and have loved it when I have, is 'The Temple - Its Ministry and Services'. I have, actually read some, though not all, of this one, though it has been a while. At any rate, it goes into great detail(as the title says) with the Temple and its ministries. He finds the connection to Christ and the gospel with every vessel of the temple, the services in it, and plainly in how it was made. In a similar way, much like what you have written here.
I've been busy bouncing between school, some theology, work and am starting college stuff, and the time to finish some things isn't always at hand. However, would highly recommend this one. I know its on iBooks.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 4:21:42 AM

Oh puhhhleeease, the veil is a symbol of the priesthoods superiority, that which separates them from the peasants they rule, a symbol of the priesthoods closeness to god as opposed to every other human, much like our devout christians like to claim on here.
The veil was and is a symbol of religious hubris just as the religious claims to superiority are today.
BTW does anyone have ex biblical support for the rending of the veil?
We know that there isn't any for an earthquake or zombie invasion.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 8:44:28 PM
At 8/12/2015 4:21:42 AM, bulproof wrote:

Oh puhhhleeease, the veil is a symbol of the priesthoods superiority, that which separates them from the peasants they rule, a symbol of the priesthoods closeness to god as opposed to every other human, much like our devout christians like to claim on here.
The veil was and is a symbol of religious hubris just as the religious claims to superiority are today.

yes...and the tearing of it opened up God to everybody, not just the priests and Rabbis. you know, kinda like I said. thank you though.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 8:49:09 PM
At 8/12/2015 8:44:28 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

yes...and the tearing of it opened up God to everybody, not just the priests and Rabbis. you know, kinda like I said. thank you though.

Not the story, but hey believe what you will. There are no laws against stupidity, so go for it.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 8:51:19 PM
At 8/12/2015 8:49:09 PM, bulproof wrote:

Not the story, but hey believe what you will. There are no laws against stupidity, so go for it.

from an article on the site "what Christians need to know".........

Jesus died at the exact moment that the sacrifice for Passover was held. At that same time that Jesus breathed His last breath, the temple veil was rent. The veil"s being torn, by God Himself, symbolized the fact that mankind"s separation from God had been removed by Jesus" supreme sacrifice at Calvary. Since Jesus was without blemish, without sin, and kept the Law perfectly for us, His death was the propitiation or satisfaction of the wrath of God against humanities sins. Isaiah 59:2 declares that "your iniquities [or sins] have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear you." Now that Jesus" once and for all sacrifice was given, we now have access to the very throne of God. Before, He would not even hear us, not to mention allow us to approach Him.

Read more: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 8:56:58 PM
At 8/12/2015 8:51:19 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/12/2015 8:49:09 PM, bulproof wrote:

from an article on the site "what Christians need to know".........

Jesus died at the exact moment that the sacrifice for Passover was held. At that same time that Jesus breathed His last breath, the temple veil was rent. The veil"s being torn, by God Himself, symbolized the fact that mankind"s separation from God had been removed by Jesus" supreme sacrifice at Calvary. Since Jesus was without blemish, without sin, and kept the Law perfectly for us, His death was the propitiation or satisfaction of the wrath of God against humanities sins. Isaiah 59:2 declares that "your iniquities [or sins] have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear you." Now that Jesus" once and for all sacrifice was given, we now have access to the very throne of God. Before, He would not even hear us, not to mention allow us to approach Him.

Read more: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com...

We know of course that jesus was not without sin, so the story is specious and any god that demands a human sacrifice is of course as evil as it is possible to be.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 11:19:37 PM
What is the significance of the Tearing of the Temple Curtain?

The Romans went further and destroyed the temple altogether and instead of being rewarded it was prophesied Rome would fall. Again paradoxically Islam brought about Rome's destruction and fulfilled the prophesies. But the Roman Catholic Church prospered at the expense of the Jews the chosen people Jesus was sent to save as their messiah. There is confusion in Paradise. What are they smoking there?