Jump to topic:

Something that came up earlier.

Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2010 8:53:33 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was chatting with a friend earlier and the subject of deities came up, and he theorised that if mankid truly had control over deities then mankind would be inclined to make deities that confom to them and used the example of the Norse Gods being worshipped by the Vikings, I disagreed, saying we were more likely to create gods that we couldn't control and had to adapt to because humans are voyeurs for spectacle and there's nothing spectacular about a god that's totally cool with everything you're already doing.

So, which do you think, assuming mankind has direct control over what "gods" exist and what "gods" don't, what do you think the end result would be?

Note: This is not to imply that man created god or vice versa, this is a matter of opinion on man's relationship WITH god.

Discuss.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2010 9:02:19 AM
Our heads lead us to believe in Gods that are independent of our wants and needs, our hearts tells us that God is what we want him to be.

Look at pretty much every Christian here for an illustration of that.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2010 9:06:28 AM
At 8/31/2010 8:53:33 AM, Veridas wrote:
I was chatting with a friend earlier and the subject of deities came up, and he theorised that if mankid truly had control over deities then mankind would be inclined to make deities that confom to them and used the example of the Norse Gods being worshipped by the Vikings, I disagreed, saying we were more likely to create gods that we couldn't control and had to adapt to because humans are voyeurs for spectacle and there's nothing spectacular about a god that's totally cool with everything you're already doing.

So, which do you think, assuming mankind has direct control over what "gods" exist and what "gods" don't, what do you think the end result would be?

Note: This is not to imply that man created god or vice versa, this is a matter of opinion on man's relationship WITH god.

Discuss.

Religion is a dogma based on societal standards. In this way, one could say that a God likely conforms to the expectations of a given society.

Alternately, it appears as though gods always seem to contradict some facet of human nature in order to uphold those standards. For example, the Norse gods conflicted with self preservation.

Perhaps this could be a way to distinguish gods that are more viable or likely to exist.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2010 10:18:04 AM
At 8/31/2010 9:06:28 AM, Ren wrote:
At 8/31/2010 8:53:33 AM, Veridas wrote:

Discuss.

Religion is a dogma based on societal standards. In this way, one could say that a God likely conforms to the expectations of a given society.

Alternately, it appears as though gods always seem to contradict some facet of human nature in order to uphold those standards. For example, the Norse gods conflicted with self preservation.

Perhaps this could be a way to distinguish gods that are more viable or likely to exist.

How does that show which god[s] are more likely to exist? If it goes against the norms?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2010 10:23:42 AM
At 8/31/2010 10:18:04 AM, lovelife wrote:

How does that show which god[s] are more likely to exist? If it goes against the norms?

Because a god that does not conflict with human preservation but still upholds moral standards that are conducive to a healthy society is likely more valid than one that does not fulfill those specifications.