Total Posts:123|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Would you teach your child to be ir/religious

joetheripper117
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 10:55:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/16/2015 10:49:09 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Would you?

No, I feel as though that would essentially be the exact same type of indoctrination I went through. If I had a child(and the agreement of my spouse), I would only teach my child to ask questions and to come to his own viewpoint. I would only tell him about my beliefs if he asked me to do so.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
Skepticalone
Posts: 7,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 10:58:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/16/2015 10:49:09 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Would you?

No, that would be indoctrination. I'm for teaching children how to think not what to think.
Science has taught us that, because we have a talent for deceiving ourselves, subjectivity may not freely reign. - Carl Sagan

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
katie.snappy
Posts: 108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 11:00:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
No. I would encourage them to explore different faiths if they expressed interest in a certain religion, but I would not force them into being religious or non-religious.
joetheripper117
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 12:46:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/16/2015 11:03:57 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Am I like the only one who would?

I am sure that there is someone else. Why would push your beliefs upon your child?
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
bsh1
Posts: 29,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 12:49:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/16/2015 10:49:09 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Would you?

I would want them to make religious decisions on their own. I would expose them to a variety of faiths and perspectives, and let them decide for themselves. I don't think it's my place to dictate their faith.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...

29,000th Post & Sort of Farewell: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,622
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 1:12:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'd let them figure it out on their own. I imagine, therefore, that they would end up being atheists or agnostics.
Why?

DDO Risk King
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 1:31:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/16/2015 10:49:09 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Would you?

The greatest gifts a child can receive are security, love and critical thought.

I do not believe teaching a child religion is consistent with teaching critical thought.
August_Burns_Red
Posts: 1,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 1:41:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/16/2015 10:49:09 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Would you?

I would make sure my child is exposed to all of the arguments for and against God and Christianity and then let him decide for himself. To force a child to believe in God or any one school of thought on religion, or especially to raise a kid in fear of a vengeful and punishing God is a form of child abuse. its also not even teaching them the True nature of God, but rather of the highly-personalized and humanly-derived God of the Torah.

God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
bunnyboo101
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 1:52:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
No I do not think children should be part of any religion until at least 16 years of age, as this counts as brainwashing. I do however believe in teaching religious beliefs in schools from a historic stand point and to promote tolerance, but it should never be taught as fact.
Mobutu
Posts: 325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 2:38:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2015 12:46:53 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 8/16/2015 11:03:57 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Am I like the only one who would?

I am sure that there is someone else. Why would push your beliefs upon your child?

Because Christianity is to me the only true faith and my child deserves better than to be subjected to the filth of athiest liberalism.
Mobutu
Posts: 325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 2:41:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2015 1:31:29 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 8/16/2015 10:49:09 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Would you?

The greatest gifts a child can receive are security, love and critical thought.

I do not believe teaching a child religion is consistent with teaching critical thought.
How is religious teachings equal to lack of critical thought?
ReformedPresbyterian72598
Posts: 337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 2:49:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/16/2015 10:49:09 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Would you?

I would train my child in the way of the Lord. Help him/her understand the doctrines of Scripture and to act according to the law. If he/she should go down another path, then I will let them be. It will not be not my duty to fix their hearts. I will guide them, however, when they are young, in, and with, what Scripture teaches. The heart and mind will either shake it off, or embrace it and love it. Depends on what they truly believe in the end.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 3:00:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2015 2:41:24 AM, Mobutu wrote:
At 8/17/2015 1:31:29 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 8/16/2015 10:49:09 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Would you?

The greatest gifts a child can receive are security, love and critical thought.

I do not believe teaching a child religion is consistent with teaching critical thought.
How is religious teachings equal to lack of critical thought?

Learning the history of religions is not incompatible with critical thought, but teaching a child to believe what others believe simply because they believe it is teaching a child to abandon critical thought.
dee-em
Posts: 8,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 3:05:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2015 2:38:47 AM, Mobutu wrote:
At 8/17/2015 12:46:53 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 8/16/2015 11:03:57 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Am I like the only one who would?

I am sure that there is someone else. Why would push your beliefs upon your child?

Because Christianity is to me the only true faith and my child deserves better than to be subjected to the filth of athiest liberalism.

You're 13 and you have a child? Houston we have a problem. Lol.
Fatihah: It's like your mother making spaghetti and after you taste it and don't like it, you say "well my mom must not exist". Not because their is no logical evidence but because she doesn't do what you want.
joetheripper117
Posts: 284
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 3:10:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2015 2:38:47 AM, Mobutu wrote:
At 8/17/2015 12:46:53 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 8/16/2015 11:03:57 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Am I like the only one who would?

I am sure that there is someone else. Why would push your beliefs upon your child?

Because Christianity is to me the only true faith and my child deserves better than to be subjected to the filth of athiest liberalism.

If your religion is actually the only true faith, then shouldn't your child be able to come to that conclusion on their own? Why force it on them?

As a side note, if you are going to throw random insults in my direction, at least spell them correctly.
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
-Richard Dawkins
"The onus is on you to say why; the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."
-Richard Dawkins
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 3:14:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Yes. They'd obviously have the option of ultimately choosing their own faith or lack thereof in life as they matured, but I'd like to instill a pro-faith bias into this process.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
dee-em
Posts: 8,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 3:23:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2015 2:49:08 AM, ReformedPresbyterian72598 wrote:
At 8/16/2015 10:49:09 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Would you?

I would train my child in the way of the Lord. Help him/her understand the doctrines of Scripture and to act according to the law. If he/she should go down another path, then I will let them be. It will not be not my duty to fix their hearts. I will guide them, however, when they are young, in, and with, what Scripture teaches. The heart and mind will either shake it off, or embrace it and love it. Depends on what they truly believe in the end.

The problem is that an adherent of Islam would say exactly the same thing as would an adherent of any other faith incompatible with yours (including other Christian sects).

"Give me a child until he is seven years old, and he is mine for life".
--- Jesuit maxim

This is how the cycle of unsubstantiated belief is perpetuated. It seems to me that if Christians (and all other faiths) had the courage of their convictions they would not indoctrinate their children but instill in them the ability to think critically and rationally. Then when the children were old and mature enough, let them work it out for themselves with some guidance. However, this has never been how religion operates as the quote above demonstrates. They get dragged along to church right from the outset and exposed to theistic propaganda by the authority figures in their lives. Personally I think it is a form of child abuse and should be banned.
Fatihah: It's like your mother making spaghetti and after you taste it and don't like it, you say "well my mom must not exist". Not because their is no logical evidence but because she doesn't do what you want.
triangle.128k
Posts: 4,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:41:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2015 3:14:43 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Yes. They'd obviously have the option of ultimately choosing their own faith or lack thereof in life as they matured, but I'd like to instill a pro-faith bias into this process.

So you don't promote critical thinking regarding religious beliefs?
arnold_torsen
Posts: 25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:47:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/16/2015 10:49:09 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Would you? : :

Now that I understand the Beast, I would never teach my children religious dogma like Christians do.
Otokage
Posts: 2,460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 8:41:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/16/2015 10:49:09 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Would you?

No, I would make sure he knows where to find sensible answers for his curiosity, since I believe the best way to make a child religious, is through the God of the Gaps strategy, that will lose its power as soon as the child learns how to tell a hoax from a real answer.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 11:36:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2015 2:38:47 AM, Mobutu wrote:
At 8/17/2015 12:46:53 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 8/16/2015 11:03:57 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Am I like the only one who would?

I am sure that there is someone else. Why would push your beliefs upon your child?

Because Christianity is to me the only true faith and my child deserves better than to be subjected to the filth of athiest liberalism.

A Pew study shows that 19 percent of Americans identifying as conservative are also atheist, while 14 percent of atheists identify as conservative. [http://www.christianpost.com...]

Also, as others have pointed out, it's not spelled 'thiest', so it's not spelled 'athiest'. :)

Just saying.
Greg4586
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 11:50:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
No. I believe it is morally wrong to force a religious belief into a child by ingraining it into their brain at a young age. I will do my best to foster them to be able to make their own decisions and decide what to believe.
Greg4586
Posts: 30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 11:53:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2015 2:41:24 AM, Mobutu wrote:
At 8/17/2015 1:31:29 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 8/16/2015 10:49:09 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Would you?

The greatest gifts a child can receive are security, love and critical thought.

I do not believe teaching a child religion is consistent with teaching critical thought.
How is religious teachings equal to lack of critical thought?

Well to give an answer you are teaching them an answer to complex, critical life questions that don't really make sense and asserting that they are facts and practically forcing them to believe it by enforcing it on them at a young age,
JJ50
Posts: 2,145
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 1:06:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
My husband and I had religion forced down our throats as kids, so when our own children came along we let them decide for themselves. They have gone down the path of Christianity, the eldest girl is an Anglican Priest. Fortunately none of them are Biblical literalists, which would be hard to stomach.
Mobutu
Posts: 325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 2:19:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2015 3:10:33 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 8/17/2015 2:38:47 AM, Mobutu wrote:
At 8/17/2015 12:46:53 AM, joetheripper117 wrote:
At 8/16/2015 11:03:57 PM, Mobutu wrote:
Am I like the only one who would?

I am sure that there is someone else. Why would push your beliefs upon your child?

Because Christianity is to me the only true faith and my child deserves better than to be subjected to the filth of athiest liberalism.

If your religion is actually the only true faith, then shouldn't your child be able to come to that conclusion on their own? Why force it on them?

As a side note, if you are going to throw random insults in my direction, at least spell them correctly.

I would like my (future) child to be able to accept god on their own but because of liberal filth prevelant in western media like: Its okay to be gay and we should all accept atheism as fact I see the need to raise my (future) child as a christian conservative.
Mobutu
Posts: 325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 2:22:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2015 1:52:57 AM, bunnyboo101 wrote:
No I do not think children should be part of any religion until at least 16 years of age, as this counts as brainwashing. I do however believe in teaching religious beliefs in schools from a historic stand point and to promote tolerance, but it should never be taught as fact.

Why shouldn't children be indoctrinated into the faith? I see it as the only way to keep Christianity going on for the future.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 13,644
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 2:24:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2015 2:22:30 PM, Mobutu wrote:
At 8/17/2015 1:52:57 AM, bunnyboo101 wrote:
No I do not think children should be part of any religion until at least 16 years of age, as this counts as brainwashing. I do however believe in teaching religious beliefs in schools from a historic stand point and to promote tolerance, but it should never be taught as fact.

Why shouldn't children be indoctrinated into the faith? I see it as the only way to keep Christianity going on for the future.

That's exactly the reason why children should not be indoctrinated into the faith, especially if it's one of the only ways to keep Christianity alive. It then deserves to perish.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
There would be peace if you obeyed us.~Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Mobutu
Posts: 325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 2:26:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2015 2:24:44 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 8/17/2015 2:22:30 PM, Mobutu wrote:
At 8/17/2015 1:52:57 AM, bunnyboo101 wrote:
No I do not think children should be part of any religion until at least 16 years of age, as this counts as brainwashing. I do however believe in teaching religious beliefs in schools from a historic stand point and to promote tolerance, but it should never be taught as fact.

Why shouldn't children be indoctrinated into the faith? I see it as the only way to keep Christianity going on for the future.

That's exactly the reason why children should not be indoctrinated into the faith, especially if it's one of the only ways to keep Christianity alive. It then deserves to perish.

Christianity is a vital component to the culture of the west that is one of the reasons it must be preserved it is also the one true faith.