Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Should beliefs be changed if they are xphobic

Mobutu
Posts: 325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 9:36:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
By this I mean do you think religious beliefs that you perceive to be harmful (like homosexual acts are bad) be ignored for fears lf being labeled say "homophobic" (the most common one used).
JJ50
Posts: 2,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 9:43:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2015 9:36:50 AM, Mobutu wrote:
By this I mean do you think religious beliefs that you perceive to be harmful (like homosexual acts are bad) be ignored for fears lf being labeled say "homophobic" (the most common one used).

If a religious belief is harmful to others then of course they should be cracked down on!
Mobutu
Posts: 325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 9:54:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2015 9:43:49 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 8/18/2015 9:36:50 AM, Mobutu wrote:
By this I mean do you think religious beliefs that you perceive to be harmful (like homosexual acts are bad) be ignored for fears lf being labeled say "homophobic" (the most common one used).

If a religious belief is harmful to others then of course they should be cracked down on!

Even if that belief is found within the bible (the word of god)?
PureX
Posts: 1,528
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 2:11:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2015 9:36:50 AM, Mobutu wrote:
By this I mean do you think religious beliefs that you perceive to be harmful (like homosexual acts are bad) be ignored for fears lf being labeled say "homophobic" (the most common one used).

Beliefs that can't be verified, such as our beliefs regarding "God" and the various religious dogmas that go with them, should be carefully monitored for how they effect us. And if they are effecting us in negative ways, I do believe we ought to let them go.

I don't believe in God because I have any special knowledge or proof that God exists. I believe in God because doing so improved the quality of my life, by changing the way I perceive it, and live it. So that if my belief in God did not result in such a positive benefit, it would be both irrational and self-destructive to continue holding to that belief.

And keep in mind that because we cannot verify our god-concepts empirically, but only hold them because of how they effect us in our lives, then we can alter our god-concepts as needed, to improve the effect of those beliefs on our lives.
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 2:23:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
God represents the way things are. It would be stupid to ditch the concept of God. Fear has no place in faith. Faith casts out all fear.

If it is written as being unbeneficial in scripture, there is a good reason. Don't use scripture to govern others, use it as a mirror to the self.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 2:43:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2015 2:23:55 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
God represents the way things are. It would be stupid to ditch the concept of God. Fear has no place in faith. Faith casts out all fear.

If it is written as being unbeneficial in scripture, there is a good reason.

Oh, please! Most of those rules were made by ignorant, superstitious primitives and have little or no bearing on reality.

Don't use scripture to govern others, use it as a mirror to the self.
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 3:12:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2015 2:43:33 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 8/18/2015 2:23:55 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
God represents the way things are. It would be stupid to ditch the concept of God. Fear has no place in faith. Faith casts out all fear.

If it is written as being unbeneficial in scripture, there is a good reason.

Oh, please! Most of those rules were made by ignorant, superstitious primitives and have little or no bearing on reality.


This type of mentality is not conducive to actually understanding things.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 3:16:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2015 2:23:55 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
God represents the way things are. It would be stupid to ditch the concept of God. Fear has no place in faith. Faith casts out all fear.

If it is written as being unbeneficial in scripture, there is a good reason. Don't use scripture to govern others, use it as a mirror to the self.

Again, not a single shred of critical thought. The concept of God IS stupid and does not represent anything other than the weakness of your mind.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 3:21:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2015 3:12:20 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
At 8/18/2015 2:43:33 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 8/18/2015 2:23:55 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
God represents the way things are. It would be stupid to ditch the concept of God. Fear has no place in faith. Faith casts out all fear.

If it is written as being unbeneficial in scripture, there is a good reason.

Oh, please! Most of those rules were made by ignorant, superstitious primitives and have little or no bearing on reality.


This type of mentality is not conducive to actually understanding things.

What type of mentality? The one where we look at the facts and understand how most of what was written as laws of nature were nothing of the kind? It's not my mentality that is deficient, my friend.
UniversalTheologian
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 3:30:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I marvel at how these people expect to be respected when they have none of their own to give.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 4:48:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2015 9:54:56 AM, Mobutu wrote:
At 8/18/2015 9:43:49 AM, JJ50 wrote:
At 8/18/2015 9:36:50 AM, Mobutu wrote:
By this I mean do you think religious beliefs that you perceive to be harmful (like homosexual acts are bad) be ignored for fears lf being labeled say "homophobic" (the most common one used).

If a religious belief is harmful to others then of course they should be cracked down on!

Even if that belief is found within the bible (the word of god)?

How many of you Christians actually believe the Bible is the word of God? Few, if any, evidently. You all cherry pick whatever you personally want to believe and discard the rest, anyways.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 5:00:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2015 3:30:31 PM, UniversalTheologian wrote:
I marvel at how these people expect to be respected when they have none of their own to give.

Respect is earned and making baseless claims of authority and knowledge are not valid currency for such a commodity.