Jump to topic:

Speaking in 'tongues'

JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 1:43:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I wondered how many people have had experience of people speaking in so called 'tongues', or have actually indulged in it themselves?

It was a Sunday morning feature of my childhood. Two members of the congregation of the Elim Pentecostal church we attended, would suddenly feel impelled to spout gobbledegook, often during a prayer or the sermon! It was totally crazy and many of us tried to stifle giggles, including my mother.

As you would expect I am of the opinion that this nonsense is an aberration of the human brain and nothing to do with any deity, unless it enjoys watching people make total cretins of themselves. The notorious 'Toronto Blessing' where people actually barked liked dogs just goes to prove how totally idiotic this activity is.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 2:26:39 PM
Yes, glossolalia is one of the more bizarre (and mirth inducing) practices of some Christian sects. It goes with the mindset, I suppose.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 3:51:25 PM
At 8/18/2015 2:26:39 PM, dee-em wrote:
Yes, glossolalia is one of the more bizarre (and mirth inducing) practices of some Christian sects. It goes with the mindset, I suppose.

True!
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 3:54:34 PM
At 8/18/2015 2:26:39 PM, dee-em wrote:

Seems more like a complete lack thereof.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
SevenDust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 5:03:14 PM
At 8/18/2015 1:43:26 PM, JJ50 wrote:
I wondered how many people have had experience of people speaking in so called 'tongues', or have actually indulged in it themselves?

It was a Sunday morning feature of my childhood. Two members of the congregation of the Elim Pentecostal church we attended, would suddenly feel impelled to spout gobbledegook, often during a prayer or the sermon! It was totally crazy and many of us tried to stifle giggles, including my mother.

As you would expect I am of the opinion that this nonsense is an aberration of the human brain and nothing to do with any deity, unless it enjoys watching people make total cretins of themselves. The notorious 'Toronto Blessing' where people actually barked liked dogs just goes to prove how totally idiotic this activity is.

JJ,
IMHO, I feel that speaking in tongues is based more on emotionality than anything else. I associate it the way a child would when waking up on Christmas morning and seeing the one thing he/she wanted more than anything, talk about gobbledygook. I myself grew up, not with religious parents, but with religious grandparents so I was exposed to this monstrosity also. With that said, my own belief about speaking in tongues is that it is based on speaking a different language. Because if Christians are supposed to preach to the four corners of the earth, than surely he/she needs to properly speak that language, cause if I hear a language I have never heard before, I would probably give strange looks to.
Morality is of the highest importance - but for us, not for God.
Albert Einstein
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 5:30:35 PM

Pentecostalists do that kind of crazy things on a daily basis. The thing goes from complete hoaxes, to invented nonsensical words, to actual sounds that "sound like X or Y tongue" but if listened carefuly are not even words.

I have a psicologist friend, and some years ago when he was still on the university, he joked about this mental illness exam he had. In his notes, under the heading of "personality disorders" he had this "demonpathogenic personality disorder" or something like that was the name, which was described as a rare personality disorder in which the victim speaks unintelligible languages, has a deliberately evil and violent behavior, and, in summary, appears to be possesed like in a hollywood movie. Crazy stuff lol
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 6:05:53 PM
Saint Fred Flintstone started the tongue waggin' movement at the water buffalo lodge in Bedrock a kazillion years ago.

It's a much older religion then that of Admiral Noah or Yomamma.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
lemano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 9:45:25 PM

As you would expect I am of the opinion that this nonsense is an aberration of the human brain and nothing to do with any deity, unless it enjoys watching people make total cretins of themselves. The notorious 'Toronto Blessing' where people actually barked liked dogs just goes to prove how totally idiotic this activity is. : :

Power of suggestion ( hypnosis ) works very well in some religious groups.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 12:25:15 AM

Corinthians 14:27-28

"27. If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret; 28. but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God"
Leugen9001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 12:39:17 AM

Considering that no one understood those supposed tongues, they probably were not saying anything coherent, or anything that Christians would understand as tongues. The Bible says that tongues have to be interpreted in order to mean anything, as far as I know.
:) nac
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 2:31:57 AM

Hey JJ good to see ya! Ya know right after I was Saved about 16 months ago I began attending a local Pentecostal Church. They also call 'em Charismatic and boy howdy it sure was! Lots of speaking in tongues, though I never had the Holy Spirit descend on me n quite that way. I have no doubt that some of those people were sincere and were not faking it. they at least believed they were posessed with the Spirit of the Pentecost. I was told that its not always jibberish,some of them have been heard to speak in Aramaic--the language Jesus spoke which is a dialect of Hebrew. A friend of mine who's a linguistics major and knows a bit of Aramaic told me this. but I have only his word to go on, as I dont speak it. (But I DID read it once, very accurately,which I took as a similar type of gift from the Holy Spirit. Thats another story, though.)
The Pentecostals were good people and certainly rabid in their beliefs and I have n doubt some of them were in God's Grace. there were also some who were full of doggie doo doo. like anywhere. Overall I have nothing bad to say about them and the Church I went to. but after a few months I switched to Unity and felt it was a more serene and stable and better-grounded place for me. I had already recieved my own Revelation from God when I was Saved--one of Biblical Imagery and Power, so I really didnt need (I thought) all that the Charismatics were offering. God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
lemano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 2:43:37 AM
At 8/19/2015 2:31:57 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Hey JJ good to see ya! Ya know right after I was Saved about 16 months ago I began attending a local Pentecostal Church. They also call 'em Charismatic and boy howdy it sure was! Lots of speaking in tongues, though I never had the Holy Spirit descend on me n quite that way. I have no doubt that some of those people were sincere and were not faking it. they at least believed they were posessed with the Spirit of the Pentecost. I was told that its not always jibberish,some of them have been heard to speak in Aramaic--the language Jesus spoke which is a dialect of Hebrew. A friend of mine who's a linguistics major and knows a bit of Aramaic told me this. but I have only his word to go on, as I dont speak it. (But I DID read it once, very accurately,which I took as a similar type of gift from the Holy Spirit. Thats another story, though.)
The Pentecostals were good people and certainly rabid in their beliefs and I have n doubt some of them were in God's Grace. there were also some who were full of doggie doo doo. like anywhere. Overall I have nothing bad to say about them and the Church I went to. but after a few months I switched to Unity and felt it was a more serene and stable and better-grounded place for me. I had already recieved my own Revelation from God when I was Saved--one of Biblical Imagery and Power, so I really didnt need (I thought) all that the Charismatics were offering. God Bless. : :

All Christians are under the influence of the Beast who makes them believe in all sorts of pagan ideas.

If we saints were made to speak in tongues to His chosen believers, none of them would learn about the future or what the Beast is.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 3:27:33 AM

The term "speaking in tongues" actually means "speaking in another language".
Pentecostals have misinterpreted it to make their members believe it is some angelic language which is unknown by the whole world and cannot be interpreted in the normal way people interpret languages. They like to believe it can only be interpreted by divine revelation.
That gives them the "faith" and courage to speak random gobbledegook nonsense in public and gives some other brave person who wants to appear superspiritual with the gift of interpretation of tongues to make up some more random gobbledegook nonsense in English to keep the "spiritual acts" alive as they pretend to have something they do not.

I was involved with a pentecostal church for many years. I have first hand experience with them and their religious antics.
I am glad to be free from all that nonsense now.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 3:33:14 AM
At 8/19/2015 2:43:37 AM, lemano wrote:

The Pentecostals were good people and certainly rabid in their beliefs and I have n doubt some of them were in God's Grace. there were also some who were full of doggie doo doo. like anywhere. Overall I have nothing bad to say about them and the Church I went to. but after a few months I switched to Unity and felt it was a more serene and stable and better-grounded place for me. I had already recieved my own Revelation from God when I was Saved--one of Biblical Imagery and Power, so I really didnt need (I thought) all that the Charismatics were offering. God Bless. : :

All Christians are under the influence of the Beast who makes them believe in all sorts of pagan ideas.

If we saints were made to speak in tongues to His chosen believers, none of them would learn about the future or what the Beast is.

You are under the influence of the beast yourself Brad. You follow your own delusions and deceptions and voices in your head. They are leading you astray. You are no saint. You are a mentally unstable person. You need help.
There is no supernatural character any place who has chosen any humans for anything. Humans choose to be deluded and deceived by their own minds and follow the fantasy characters which their own minds convince them have chosen them to be something special.

I hope Ms sanity chooses you to become sane one day.
lemano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 3:33:40 AM
At 8/19/2015 3:27:33 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Pentecostals have misinterpreted it to make their members believe it is some angelic language which is unknown by the whole world and cannot be interpreted in the normal way people interpret languages. They like to believe it can only be interpreted by divine revelation.
That gives them the "faith" and courage to speak random gobbledegook nonsense in public and gives some other brave person who wants to appear superspiritual with the gift of interpretation of tongues to make up some more random gobbledegook nonsense in English to keep the "spiritual acts" alive as they pretend to have something they do not.

I was involved with a pentecostal church for many years. I have first hand experience with them and their religious antics.
I am glad to be free from all that nonsense now. : :

It's no wonder you don't believe in a Creator who has taught me everything He wanted me to know before this age ends. He taught me that the gift of tongues comes from His Beast like all false gods, languages, mathematics and religions.
lemano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 3:34:37 AM
At 8/19/2015 3:33:14 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 8/19/2015 2:43:37 AM, lemano wrote:

You are under the influence of the beast yourself Brad. You follow your own delusions and deceptions and voices in your head. They are leading you astray. You are no saint. You are a mentally unstable person. You need help.
There is no supernatural character any place who has chosen any humans for anything. Humans choose to be deluded and deceived by their own minds and follow the fantasy characters which their own minds convince them have chosen them to be something special.

I hope Ms sanity chooses you to become sane one day. : :

You don't know what the Beast is, Skyangel. That's why you can't teach anything about it in this forum.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 3:51:35 AM
At 8/19/2015 3:33:40 AM, lemano wrote:
At 8/19/2015 3:27:33 AM, Skyangel wrote:

I am glad to be free from all that nonsense now. : :

It's no wonder you don't believe in a Creator who has taught me everything He wanted me to know before this age ends. He taught me that the gift of tongues comes from His Beast like all false gods, languages, mathematics and religions.

Good for you Brad, It is nice to know you have invisible friends teaching you fantasies. I am glad they keep you amused. You obviously have nothing better to do than communicate with your own delusions.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 3:57:25 AM
the mark of the beast is called credit cards and such.

They had their versions of credit since they have had the concept of money.

There are many things that can't be done or are hard to do without credit cards as I should know as I have never had or used them or let credit cards have and use me.

This worldwide society we have in this season of mankind has people and governments in debt to the money lenders.

sounds like a beast as it's mark is in peoples minds and hands.
lemano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 4:04:18 AM
At 8/19/2015 3:57:25 AM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:

There are many things that can't be done or are hard to do without credit cards as I should know as I have never had or used them or let credit cards have and use me.

This worldwide society we have in this season of mankind has people and governments in debt to the money lenders.

sounds like a beast as it's mark is in peoples minds and hands. ::

LOL !!!!!!!! You believe the lies of man.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 6:18:09 AM
from the vibrations of Saint Brad the last Saint besides old Saint Nick who was a merry old soul.and a merry old soul was he.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:55:12 PM
At 8/19/2015 4:04:18 AM, lemano wrote:

Well you know all about lies, being a liar in chief!
all-in-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 2:42:16 PM
At 8/22/2015 12:55:12 PM, JJ50 wrote:

Well you know all about lies, being a liar in chief! : :'

The Spirit of God that I speak for cannot lie but all the flesh of this world are the liars who don't know what Spirit means.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 4:24:02 PM
At 8/22/2015 2:42:16 PM, all-in-one wrote:
At 8/22/2015 12:55:12 PM, JJ50 wrote:

Well you know all about lies, being a liar in chief! : :'

The Spirit of God that I speak for cannot lie but all the flesh of this world are the liars who don't know what Spirit means.

You are a delusional liar!
TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 6:43:34 PM

Speaking in tongues means speaking in different languages; it is not that "hublannalhbihelnahdh" garbage that "Christians" do. That's gibberish, not a language.

Tongue: A particular language.
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 8:24:32 PM
I'm sure you know it is Biblical and supposed to be a gift of the spirit long with prophecy and others listed by the Apostle Paul. Religion must have its miraculous side to attract converts. Spiritualism has the moving glass and talking to the dead.
This all stems from the bicameral mind which Julian Jaynes believes was mans mental state until about 3000 years ago. The hearing of voices from the Gods was common place and humanity did not have self awareness.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 8:43:57 PM

So basically you created a topic for that which you only mock and are uncomfortable with, good job grandma, maybe next time you can be more creative.

Barking like dogs is completely irrelevant to the topic of Biblical "tongues".
hardin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 9:04:44 PM
At 8/22/2015 8:43:57 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

So basically you created a topic for that which you only mock and are uncomfortable with, good job grandma, maybe next time you can be more creative.

Barking like dogs is completely irrelevant to the topic of Biblical "tongues". : :

Jeremiah 5
14 Therefore this is what the Lord God Almighty says:

"Because the people have spoken these words,
I will make my words in your mouth a fire
and these people the wood it consumes.

15 People of Israel," declares the Lord,
"I am bringing a distant nation against you"
an ancient and enduring nation,
a people whose language you do not know,
whose speech you do not understand.

16 Their quivers are like an open grave;
all of them are mighty warriors.
TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 9:41:07 PM
At 8/22/2015 9:04:44 PM, hardin wrote:

Barking like dogs is completely irrelevant to the topic of Biblical "tongues". : :

Jeremiah 5

BOG, your back! You create a new page every hour huh?
hardin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 9:50:11 PM
At 8/22/2015 9:41:07 PM, TheWORDisLIFE wrote:
At 8/22/2015 9:04:44 PM, hardin wrote:

Jeremiah 5

BOG, your back! You create a new page every hour huh? : :

I never left. I told Airmax that I wouldn't stop coming in this forum because of God's chosen believers that are in here. He doesn't seem to be getting the message. I'm here to back up you believers with good meaningful scriptures. Remember, not all Christians are chosen believers my friend.