Jump to topic:

Religions are fairy tales for adults. Should

GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 7:29:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Religions are fairy tales for adults. Should we encourage them to grow up?

My mind set is close to Daniel Dennett as far as what religious people / theist should become after they grow up.

Personally, I like a lot of the social functions and appeasement of our need for fellowship, hivishness and tribalism offered by religious institutions.

https://www.youtube.com...

So I do not want to kill all religions but just encourage them to be more moral, tolerant and give equality to women and gays.

Having said the above, People and recent trends to read scriptures literally have cause many to forget that religions were invented as theatre and myth and were never meant to be read or taken literally. They were designed to seek God, not to find one.

http://www.pbs.org...

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about literal reading.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

As you can see from the following, religions and temples have always been about entertainment and fellowship.

If Christianity and Islam could return to the old way of seeking God instead of idol worshiping false Gods, perhaps jihadists and other fundamental believers might chill and get along the way they have at some points in our past history.

Religions are fairy tales for adults. If this is a truth, we should encourage Christianity and Islam as well as all other religions to grow up and return to their better past of seeking God instead of idol worshiping Yahweh and Allah. Both of them are mythical and manmade Gods.

To just leave Christians and Muslim idol worshipers to continue as is means that we may never rid ourselves of their institutionalized homophobia and misogyny. The kind and moral thing to do is to try to correct our immoral religious friends to recognize their myths as fairy tales for adults. Do you agree?

Regards
DL
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 8:47:26 PM
At 8/18/2015 7:29:16 PM, GreatestIam wrote:

My mind set is close to Daniel Dennett as far as what religious people / theist should become after they grow up.

Personally, I like a lot of the social functions and appeasement of our need for fellowship, hivishness and tribalism offered by religious institutions.

So I do not want to kill all religions but just encourage them to be more moral, tolerant and give equality to women and gays.

Having said the above, People and recent trends to read scriptures literally have cause many to forget that religions were invented as theatre and myth and were never meant to be read or taken literally. They were designed to seek God, not to find one.

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

As you can see from the following, religions and temples have always been about entertainment and fellowship.

If Christianity and Islam could return to the old way of seeking God instead of idol worshiping false Gods, perhaps jihadists and other fundamental believers might chill and get along the way they have at some points in our past history.

Religions are fairy tales for adults. If this is a truth, we should encourage Christianity and Islam as well as all other religions to grow up and return to their better past of seeking God instead of idol worshiping Yahweh and Allah. Both of them are mythical and manmade Gods.

To just leave Christians and Muslim idol worshipers to continue as is means that we may never rid ourselves of their institutionalized homophobia and misogyny. The kind and moral thing to do is to try to correct our immoral religious friends to recognize their myths as fairy tales for adults. Do you agree?

Regards
DL

I dont underastand your theology. seems to be contradictive. a mixed bag. you first call religion fairy tales and then you recommend that we stick to fundamentalist readings and beliefs? LOL. really? you then quote an Orthodox Rabbi-then you say your go to guy is Dan Dennet? Do you believe in God or not? what do tou think of Jesus of Nazareth? Is the bible the word of God? Or just a bunch of fables? Do you believe God listens when you pray to him? please answer these and I can give you a opinion on how I think we should go about Seeking God and living the life he wants for us.
God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
lemano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 9:34:13 PM
At 8/18/2015 8:47:26 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Regards
DL

I dont underastand your theology. seems to be contradictive. a mixed bag. you first call religion fairy tales and then you recommend that we stick to fundamentalist readings and beliefs? LOL. really? you then quote an Orthodox Rabbi-then you say your go to guy is Dan Dennet? Do you believe in God or not? what do tou think of Jesus of Nazareth? Is the bible the word of God? Or just a bunch of fables? Do you believe God listens when you pray to him? please answer these and I can give you a opinion on how I think we should go about Seeking God and living the life he wants for us.
God Bless. : :

He doesn't have anymore knowledge of God than you have. Why do you keep buying and selling in the Beast?
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 9:37:26 PM
At 8/18/2015 9:34:13 PM, lemano wrote:

Regards
DL

He doesn't have anymore knowledge of God than you have. Why do you keep buying and selling in the Beast?

hey Brad, you know what? I tried to help you and give you advice for sticking around here, but Im really sick of you telling us all how wrong we are. you were amusing at first, then tiresome and now an annoyance. Bugger off, mate. this will be my final post to you. (LOL--I cant black you since you change accounts like I change my socks!)
lemano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 9:41:55 PM
At 8/18/2015 9:37:26 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/18/2015 9:34:13 PM, lemano wrote:

Regards
DL

hey Brad, you know what? I tried to help you and give you advice for sticking around here, but Im really sick of you telling us all how wrong we are. you were amusing at first, then tiresome and now an annoyance. Bugger off, mate. this will be my final post to you. (LOL--I cant black you since you change accounts like I change my socks!) : :

You are not wrong in your own mind that comes from the Beast. I'm only showing you the way to the Lord who has the knowledge to teach you everything He wants His chosen ones to know before this age ends. If you're not willing to listen to Him, then be on your own and ignore His Voice. I really don't care whether you listen to His Voice now or in the next age when ALL His people will know His Voice.

Jeremiah 31
31: "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,
32: not like the covenant which I made with their fathers when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant which they broke, though I was their husband, says the LORD.
33: But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34: And no longer shall each man teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, `Know the LORD,' for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, says the LORD; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more."

This prophecy is about living in Paradise after this Heaven and Earth has been destroyed.
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 11:57:58 PM

Regards
DL

God Bless.

" then you recommend that we stick to fundamentalist readings and beliefs?"

Not anywhere I can see.

All scriptures are myths and I am a Gnostic Christian.

Let me give you how I recommend people seek and it will answer most of your questions.

Gnostic Christians are perpetual seekers after God. God here I define as the best laws and rules to live life with.

We believe that those laws and rules, as Jesus said, are found in our minds/hearts. I use the following to try to illustrate this notion. A bit of history and then a mindset and method to do what I promote.

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian"s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized to activate your higher mind.

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus, in the esoteric sense.

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, you will begin to know the only God you will ever find. Becoming a God is to become more fully human and a brethren to Jesus.

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 12:02:41 AM
At 8/18/2015 9:41:55 PM, lemano wrote:

This prophecy is about living in Paradise after this Heaven and Earth has been destroyed.

Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect:

Strange that you in all your wisdom have God destroying his perfect works.

You may be as ignorant and stupid as our friend above seems to think.

And you say I know nothing of God.

Regards
DL
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 12:26:43 AM

Religion without theology is just inspirational art. I have no problem with it at all.

However theology itself is grasping, corrupt and crushing intellectual manipulation.

Lacking any authority of its own, it has no place in legislation, should never be inflicted on the vulnerable, should never be a criterion of employment or grounds for dismissal, and anyone upholding theology under professional authority (e.g. legislators, educators, the judiciary or clergy) who can be shown to cause material harm or derive benefit therefrom, should be held professionally liable for negligence.
lemano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 1:21:04 AM
At 8/19/2015 12:02:41 AM, GreatestIam wrote:

Regards
DL : :'

Everything on this earth has been perishing since it was observed by His first people. By the end of this age, everything on the earth will burn up in His fire. This will end the first generation of people.

The next generation of God's people will awaken in new flesh in the New Heaven and Earth.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 2:01:37 AM
At 8/18/2015 11:57:58 PM, GreatestIam wrote:

Regards
DL

God Bless.

Not anywhere I can see.

Let me give you how I recommend people seek and it will answer most of your questions.

Gnostic Christians are perpetual seekers after God. God here I define as the best laws and rules to live life with.

We believe that those laws and rules, as Jesus said, are found in our minds/hearts. I use the following to try to illustrate this notion. A bit of history and then a mindset and method to do what I promote.

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian"s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized to activate your higher mind.

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus, in the esoteric sense.

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, you will begin to know the only God you will ever find. Becoming a God is to become more fully human and a brethren to Jesus.

Regards
DL

You really are confused! LOL. Scripture is myth? LOL. then where did it come from? Also I hate to break it to ya, but the Gnostics have their own Scriptures. Didja ever read Elaine Pagels' "The Gnostic Gospels?" Im guessing not, or oyu would know the Gnostics and the Essenes took to heart a good deal of JC's Teachings.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 2:05:19 AM

Regards
DL

God Bless.

Not anywhere I can see.

Regards
DL

Wrong once again. Men don't become Gods, we can only Hope to Know Him and understand His will for us. And yes, by learning from Jesus' teachings that will help us do so. Along with Good Works and Prayer. You can call Jesus your brother in God if you like, as I DO think He was God's Special Son but He also tried to tell us that we too can become Sons of God. But never at quite His level, nor with His Divine Qualities. We can only aspire to these, but will fall short. But this is OK with God as he doesn't expect us to be as perfect as His Special Son was. God Bless, BROTHER! LOL
lemano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 2:41:13 AM
At 8/19/2015 2:05:19 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Regards
DL

God Bless.

Not anywhere I can see.

Regards
DL

Wrong once again. Men don't become Gods, we can only Hope to Know Him and understand His will for us. And yes, by learning from Jesus' teachings that will help us do so. Along with Good Works and Prayer. You can call Jesus your brother in God if you like, as I DO think He was God's Special Son but He also tried to tell us that we too can become Sons of God. But never at quite His level, nor with His Divine Qualities. We can only aspire to these, but will fall short. But this is OK with God as he doesn't expect us to be as perfect as His Special Son was. God Bless, BROTHER! LOL : :

Jesus was the flesh that our Father used to testify to His knowledge like all the rest of God's saints were used for. Jesus is not any more special than the saint who is writing this post. We are all killed for testifying to the knowledge of our Father.

We testify to the Word ( knowledge ) of God and learn that we're all born in the thoughts of God before any visible kingdom was observed by us. So all His people who were born in this thoughts are called Sons of God, the Righteous ones that you read about in Psalms.

If you listen to the Voice of the Lord ( the gospel we saints preach ), you will learn everything that God has revealed to us in our testimonies.

Since you deny the Voice of the Lord that's being witnessed here in this forum by the one who is writing this post, you will be known as a religious antichrist, like the religious Pharisees who called the saints blasphemers and turned them over to the Roman guards. The Roman guards hauled all the saints off to court where they were convicted of a crime because of the laws of Rome not to preach the true gospel that was contrary to the gospels of Christianity and Judaism. Their crime caused them to be beheaded;

Revelation 20
4: Then I saw thrones, and seated on them were those to whom judgment was committed. Also I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their testimony to Jesus and for the word of God, and who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life, and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5: The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended. This is the first resurrection.
6: Blessed and holy is he who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and they shall reign with him a thousand years. : :

Christian pastors who are all under the influence of the Beast get to retire with benefits in this world. They are not saints who testify to the Word of the Lord and witness to His chosen believers. Christian pastors preach to heathens who have no idea who our Lord is.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 2:42:59 AM
At 8/19/2015 2:41:13 AM, lemano wrote:

Regards
DL

God Bless.

Not anywhere I can see.

Regards
DL

Wrong once again. Men don't become Gods, we can only Hope to Know Him and understand His will for us. And yes, by learning from Jesus' teachings that will help us do so. Along with Good Works and Prayer. You can call Jesus your brother in God if you like, as I DO think He was God's Special Son but He also tried to tell us that we too can become Sons of God. But never at quite His level, nor with His Divine Qualities. We can only aspire to these, but will fall short. But this is OK with God as he doesn't expect us to be as perfect as His Special Son was. God Bless, BROTHER! LOL : :

Jesus was the flesh that our Father used to testify to His knowledge like all the rest of God's saints were used for. Jesus is not any more special than the saint who is writing this post. We are all killed for testifying to the knowledge of our Father.

We testify to the Word ( knowledge ) of God and learn that we're all born in the thoughts of God before any visible kingdom was observed by us. So all His people who were born in this thoughts are called Sons of God, the Righteous ones that you read about in Psalms.

If you listen to the Voice of the Lord ( the gospel we saints preach ), you will learn everything that God has revealed to us in our testimonies.

Since you deny the Voice of the Lord that's being witnessed here in this forum by the one who is writing this post, you will be known as a religious antichrist, like the religious Pharisees who called the saints blasphemers and turned them over to the Roman guards. The Roman guards hauled all the saints off to court where they were convicted of a crime because of the laws of Rome not to preach the true gospel that was contrary to the gospels of Christianity and Judaism. Their crime caused them to be beheaded;

Revelation 20
4: Then I saw thrones, and seated on them were those to whom judgment was committed. Also I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their testimony to Jesus and for the word of God, and who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life, and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5: The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended. This is the first resurrection.
6: Blessed and holy is he who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and they shall reign with him a thousand years. : :

Christian pastors who are all under the influence of the Beast get to retire with benefits in this world. They are not saints who testify to the Word of the Lord and witness to His chosen believers. Christian pastors preach to heathens who have no idea who our Lord is.

thought I todlja too bugger off, Bradley?? Will I burn in Hell for saying that to a Saint? Gu
lemano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 2:47:20 AM
At 8/19/2015 2:42:59 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/19/2015 2:41:13 AM, lemano wrote:

Christian pastors who are all under the influence of the Beast get to retire with benefits in this world. They are not saints who testify to the Word of the Lord and witness to His chosen believers. Christian pastors preach to heathens who have no idea who our Lord is. : :

thought I todlja too bugger off, Bradley?? Will I burn in Hell for saying that to a Saint? Gu : :

Your flesh will perish before you learn anything that God has revealed to us about the future, the past, the present strong delusion ( The tree of the knowledge of good and evil ) and how He created everything within the Tree of Life.
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 1:35:54 PM
At 8/19/2015 1:21:04 AM, lemano wrote:
At 8/19/2015 12:02:41 AM, GreatestIam wrote:

Regards
DL : :'

Everything on this earth has been perishing since it was observed by His first people. By the end of this age, everything on the earth will burn up in His fire. This will end the first generation of people.

The next generation of God's people will awaken in new flesh in the New Heaven and Earth.

Thanks for sharing your delusion and ignoring what scriptures say.

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 1:41:11 PM
At 8/19/2015 12:26:43 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

Religion without theology is just inspirational art. I have no problem with it at all.

However theology itself is grasping, corrupt and crushing intellectual manipulation.

Lacking any authority of its own, it has no place in legislation, should never be inflicted on the vulnerable, should never be a criterion of employment or grounds for dismissal, and anyone upholding theology under professional authority (e.g. legislators, educators, the judiciary or clergy) who can be shown to cause material harm or derive benefit therefrom, should be held professionally liable for negligence.

I agree and wish I could make it so. I have pushed for such things and more are coming on board all the time but it is a tough go when the majority claim to be religious.

If they were not lying then the non-believer demographic would not be the fastest growing demographic.

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 1:43:50 PM
At 8/19/2015 2:01:37 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Regards
DL

God Bless.

Not anywhere I can see.

Regards
DL

You really are confused! LOL. Scripture is myth? LOL. then where did it come from? Also I hate to break it to ya, but the Gnostics have their own Scriptures. Didja ever read Elaine Pagels' "The Gnostic Gospels?" Im guessing not, or oyu would know the Gnostics and the Essenes took to heart a good deal of JC's Teachings.

Did you not see me do the same in that link?

You did not even look at it did you?

Go away. You are not worth my time.

Regards
DL