Jump to topic:

Raising a child(ren) in a monotheistic house

ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 7:37:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So, if I were to find a soulmate who is Jewish (i'm Jewish) and we have a kid, does DDO think that i'm immoral/doing a disservice to my child by requiring him/her to take part in our religious activities (such as taking my child to the synagogue, celebrating Sabbath Friday night, and so forth)?

If we have to let our children decide what they want to believe in from the start, does this mean we must exclude them from all of our religious practices? I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to teach different faiths or religions to my child, as I wouldn't have the knowledge to do so anyway.

So: how do we reconcile living a life partly influenced by religion without imparting some of that religiosity onto our children? I'd consider it bad parenting to purposefully exclude my child from any of our religious activities as that would create a barrier in communication and understanding between parent and child, stifling growth of the parent-child relationship.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 8:06:36 PM
At 8/18/2015 7:37:03 PM, ben2974 wrote:
So, if I were to find a soulmate who is Jewish (i'm Jewish) and we have a kid, does DDO think that i'm immoral/doing a disservice to my child by requiring him/her to take part in our religious activities (such as taking my child to the synagogue, celebrating Sabbath Friday night, and so forth)?

If we have to let our children decide what they want to believe in from the start, does this mean we must exclude them from all of our religious practices? I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to teach different faiths or religions to my child, as I wouldn't have the knowledge to do so anyway.

So: how do we reconcile living a life partly influenced by religion without imparting some of that religiosity onto our children? I'd consider it bad parenting to purposefully exclude my child from any of our religious activities as that would create a barrier in communication and understanding between parent and child, stifling growth of the parent-child relationship.

On the contrary, you would be establishing an honest relationship with respect, understanding and integrity if you didn't involve your children in YOUR religious activities. What would make you think they want anything to do with it?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 8:19:12 PM
At 8/18/2015 8:06:36 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

On the contrary, you would be establishing an honest relationship with respect, understanding and integrity if you didn't involve your children in YOUR religious activities. What would make you think they want anything to do with it?

What would make you think they want anything to do with anything? And how am I establishing a relationship of understanding by excluding my child from activities? A healthy parent-child relationship would involve pursuing activities together, creating a bond through shared experience.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 8:25:41 PM
You will not get perfect parenting advise from here, but I would suggest that you involve your children in your religious activities. As you mentioned, it will create a common ground and an area that is easy to bond over. Finally, wouldn't it be wrong to not teach your kids what you believe to be truthful and lifesaving?
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
Nicoszon_the_Great
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 8:34:07 PM

I wouldn't say NEVER expose them to your faith. The more important distinction is that you make it clear to them that they aren't Jewish unless they want to be. Then also allow them to explore other faiths or ideas without the threat of ostracism and try to educate them as unbiased as you can. Of course that could be difficult depending on how pious you and/or your wife are.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 8:35:33 PM

Hi Ben good to see ya. I dont have kids but I think the way to go on this is to expose them to your beliefs, yes, but also to others. Do the Christmas deal too along with Hannukah and Passover and Purim. give the kids a delicatessan style menu of those beliefs and then let them decide for themselves. to force any sort of religious belief on kids is just not fair. and its messed up many a child before. God doesn't want this anyway--he want the little ones to be loved and raised well by their parents and exposed to as many of the different schools who seek to Find Him as possible. Then if the kids pick one they can go their journey on their own. It IS a journey and should be done of one's own free will. God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 8:51:05 PM
At 8/18/2015 8:19:12 PM, ben2974 wrote:

What would make you think they want anything to do with anything?

Simple. They have their own minds, needs, wants and desires that most likely have very little to do with yours.

And how am I establishing a relationship of understanding by excluding my child from activities? A healthy parent-child relationship would involve pursuing activities together, creating a bond through shared experience.

Camping, swimming, cycling, playing with the dog, these are bonding activities. What you're suggesting is nothing more than the propagation of bronze age myths and superstitions, hardly something that is an activity that would spawn a relationship of understanding.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 9:23:55 PM
At 8/18/2015 8:51:05 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Simple. They have their own minds, needs, wants and desires that most likely have very little to do with yours.

This critique can be applied to everything you listed below.

And how am I establishing a relationship of understanding by excluding my child from activities? A healthy parent-child relationship would involve pursuing activities together, creating a bond through shared experience.

Camping, swimming, cycling, playing with the dog, these are bonding activities. What you're suggesting is nothing more than the propagation of bronze age myths and superstitions, hardly something that is an activity that would spawn a relationship of understanding.

And the the issue I see with this is that you're singling out religion as inherently bad. By doing so we're sending a message to our kids about religion, that it is something not to be meddled with, which is also unfair. Like any affair, it deserves exposure if it has personal significance to the parent, just as learning to swim and bike. So, again, how do we (well I guess you) reconcile this?
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 9:39:06 PM
At 8/18/2015 8:34:07 PM, Nicoszon_the_Great wrote:

I wouldn't say NEVER expose them to your faith. The more important distinction is that you make it clear to them that they aren't Jewish unless they want to be. Then also allow them to explore other faiths or ideas without the threat of ostracism and try to educate them as unbiased as you can. Of course that could be difficult depending on how pious you and/or your wife are.

And how do we figure out what faith they want to follow, if any? I mean, how old does a son/daughter have to be to actually make that decision. In Judaism boys and girls are expected to be bar/bat mitzvah'd by age of 13 and 12. I was raised very leniently with regards to religion. I did go to a Jewish private school for 5 years and I had my bar mitzvah (Jewish school from grade 4 to 8 - transferred to a public high school after that). All of that was forced on me. But after my bar mitzvah, my dad basically went hands off since then. I'm now 22 (no soulmate or kids btw, this was a typical hypothetical) and don't practice my religion almost at all, save for a few Jewish traditions. Is that really so bad. To be honest the more i'm writing about my upbringing, the more I respect my dad for raising me like this. He basically gave me a Jewish foundation and then let me go.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 9:46:54 PM
At 8/18/2015 9:23:55 PM, ben2974 wrote:

And the the issue I see with this is that you're singling out religion as inherently bad. By doing so we're sending a message to our kids about religion, that it is something not to be meddled with, which is also unfair. Like any affair, it deserves exposure if it has personal significance to the parent, just as learning to swim and bike.

LOL. Sorry, but propagating myths and superstitions from the bronze age into the minds of children is far from swimming and biking, not even remotely relevant.

So, again, how do we (well I guess you) reconcile this?

There's nothing to reconcile.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 10:17:44 PM
At 8/18/2015 9:46:54 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

And the the issue I see with this is that you're singling out religion as inherently bad. By doing so we're sending a message to our kids about religion, that it is something not to be meddled with, which is also unfair. Like any affair, it deserves exposure if it has personal significance to the parent, just as learning to swim and bike.

LOL. Sorry, but propagating myths and superstitions from the bronze age into the minds of children is far from swimming and biking, not even remotely relevant.

You've evaded my point entirely.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 10:19:58 PM
At 8/18/2015 10:17:44 PM, ben2974 wrote:

I did not see you make a point. Where is it?
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 10:28:09 PM
At 8/18/2015 10:19:58 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Namely that which is bolded above. You've failed to recognize this dilemma, and simply, or arrogantly, responded by categorically rejecting religion on any ground.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 10:42:29 PM
At 8/18/2015 10:28:09 PM, ben2974 wrote:
At 8/18/2015 10:19:58 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Namely that which is bolded above. You've failed to recognize this dilemma, and simply, or arrogantly, responded by categorically rejecting religion on any ground.

Sorry, but those are YOUR words, not mine.
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 11:04:31 PM

Parents are responsible for their children to a certain age in Gods view. Per-se--they ride on the parents back.
As shown during the flood, Sodom and Gommorah, etc--the children died as well, because their parents were held responsible for them.
In fact it has been satan' #1 tool against mortals--from generation to generation, from parent to child--false god worship and wicked acts are handed down. The ot teaches that the children will be held responsible for the sins of their Fathers( mothers)---not the sin the Fathers do by their own choice, but they hand the same sins down to their children--that is what it meant.
And that is one of the reasons why children died as well back then, but few realize that actually God was sparing all those children from living totally wicked lives like their parents were doing and would have handed it down to the children, so now at judgement, they didn't live those wicked lives and can enter Gods kingdom to learn and apply Gods will and gain life everlasting. Most condemn God for that. Because of a lack of understanding.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 11:08:42 PM
At 8/18/2015 11:04:31 PM, kjw47 wrote:

Parents are responsible for their children to a certain age in Gods view. Per-se--they ride on the parents back.
As shown during the flood, Sodom and Gommorah, etc--the children died as well, because their parents were held responsible for them.
In fact it has been satan' #1 tool against mortals--from generation to generation, from parent to child--false god worship and wicked acts are handed down. The ot teaches that the children will be held responsible for the sins of their Fathers( mothers)---not the sin the Fathers do by their own choice, but they hand the same sins down to their children--that is what it meant.

You can't hand sins down to your children.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 11:17:38 PM
At 8/18/2015 11:08:42 PM, annanicole wrote:

Are you a Christian? then you obviously believe the muslims are wrong, serving a false god--they hand it down to their children--is it a sin to serve a false god and participate in ungodly practices?
Many children today, watch their parents--cheat on one another, get drunk, do illegal drugs, etc,etc,etc--- where do you think children learn?
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 11:20:27 PM

I have seen parents hand down hatred of human beings because their skin is a different color--- what world do you live in Annanicole? Jesus said this world is ruled by satan--he is 100% correct--generation to generation, from parent to child= satans #1 tool.
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 11:45:17 PM

You would explain to them that you and their mother are Jewish. You would explain what you believe and that not everyone believes this. You would allow them to look into any other religion, or way of thinking and not insist that they believe exactly what you do.

I am a Panentheist raise catholic
My wife is non denominational raised Jehovah Witness
My son is undecided at 12
My Daughter is Roman Catholic at 9
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 4:54:16 AM
At 8/18/2015 11:17:38 PM, kjw47 wrote:

Are you a Christian? then you obviously believe the muslims are wrong, serving a false god--they hand it down to their children--is it a sin to serve a false god and participate in ungodly practices?

Many children today, watch their parents--cheat on one another, get drunk, do illegal drugs, etc,etc,etc--- where do you think children learn?

So? One still cannot pass along sins - the guilt of sins - like a piece of property.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 4:55:10 AM
At 8/18/2015 11:20:27 PM, kjw47 wrote:

I have seen parents hand down hatred of human beings because their skin is a different color

Again, that's not passing down sin itself.
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 8:08:06 PM
At 8/19/2015 4:55:10 AM, annanicole wrote:

I have seen parents hand down hatred of human beings because their skin is a different color

how sad it is speaking to you. If I would say red is red you would say it is green. And here I always believed all were made in Gods image--the ability to love and reason---you don't seem to be able to reason properly--this is why-2Cor 4:4--I guess that is why its ok to you that you reject the teachings of Jesus I showed you--because you wont even listen to God who said--This is my son the beloved in whom I am well pleased--listen to him--- so when Jesus teaches something in opposition to what your teachers teach--a true follower is wise enough to believe Jesus first. I will pray that soon you can see Annanicole.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2015 8:28:29 PM

If yu can inculcate a love for God in your children, that is always a good start.

Unfortunately, as far as Jehovah is concerned the Jewish faith is a dead faith since they have failed to move forward with the progress of his plan to restore the earth, and humanity, back to it's original state.

Judaism is stuck in the middle phase, still reliant on a law they have no way of living up to, whereas Jeremiah 31:33, in their own scriptures, shows that the time would come when Jehovah's people would live by principle, having the law in their hearts, not written down in a law book and rigidly applied.

Christ started the fulfilment of that prophecy, by teaching us how to extend what the law teaches into our hearts, but unfortunately the faith he taught got corrupted by the end of the first century, and has only in the last 150 years or so been revived.

The so-called Christian faith, went one way, and the Jews stayed where they were, meaning both groups were separated from God who moves ever on to the completion of his plan,, and still are.

However through his, and his only begotten son's, modern day followers, the JWs, he invites all, including the Jews and those who call themselves Christian, to learn how to"catch up" with the plan and get themselves on course also.

That would be the greatest gift we could ever give our children, because it leads to eternal life for them and us to enjoy together.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 2:42:56 AM

I have seen parents hand down hatred of human beings because their skin is a different color--- what world do you live in Annanicole?

Certainly, not that world. I would recommend you move to a different neighborhood. There are many parents who do not hand down such hatred.

Jesus said this world is ruled by satan--he is 100% correct--generation to generation, from parent to child= satans #1 tool.

Don't be ridiculous, that's just paranoia, it won't lead to anything good. The world has many good people, don't let some ancient myth tell you otherwise.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 10:40:15 AM
At 8/20/2015 2:42:56 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

I have seen parents hand down hatred of human beings because their skin is a different color--- what world do you live in Annanicole?

Certainly, not that world. I would recommend you move to a different neighborhood. There are many parents who do not hand down such hatred.

Jesus said this world is ruled by satan--he is 100% correct--generation to generation, from parent to child= satans #1 tool.

Don't be ridiculous, that's just paranoia, it won't lead to anything good. The world has many good people, don't let some ancient myth tell you otherwise.

Far from paranoia, besides, just because we are paranoid does not mean Satan isn't out to get us.

If you truly understood the power of Satan, and the hatred he has in his heart for all who support Jehovah and Christ, you would be far more than paranoid.

It is self evidence that an evil power runs this world, you only have to see what people do to each other to know it cannot be natural.

we are all one people, one race, the human race, why should we be divided as we are?

We should not, we should be united, realising that there is no superiority of one over another.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 10:43:47 AM
At 8/19/2015 8:08:06 PM, kjw47 wrote:
At 8/19/2015 4:55:10 AM, annanicole wrote:

how sad it is speaking to you. If I would say red is red you would say it is green. And here I always believed all were made in Gods image--the ability to love and reason---you don't seem to be able to reason properly--this is why-2Cor 4:4--I guess that is why its ok to you that you reject the teachings of Jesus I showed you--because you wont even listen to God who said--This is my son the beloved in whom I am well pleased--listen to him--- so when Jesus teaches something in opposition to what your teachers teach--a true follower is wise enough to believe Jesus first. I will pray that soon you can see Annanicole.

When you stop to think about it, which obviously you do, but not ones such as Anna, there is no reason why any one race should feel superior to any other.

We were never meant to be divided as Satan has got us, were are in reality only one race - the human race.

You only have to read how often Anna calls people "tards" to realise how superior she wants to think she is to any who disagree with her, a very Satanic trait.

She is to be pitied really.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 2:09:21 PM
At 8/20/2015 10:40:15 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Far from paranoia, besides, just because we are paranoid does not mean Satan isn't out to get us.

That would be insanity as well as paranoia, especially in your case.

If you truly understood the power of Satan, and the hatred he has in his heart for all who support Jehovah and Christ, you would be far more than paranoid.

I could care less about your imaginary boogie man. Grow up, small boy.

It is self evidence that an evil power runs this world, you only have to see what people do to each other to know it cannot be natural.

People are compassionate and kind to one another, this is the world I see. You probably need to move to a better neighborhood.

we are all one people, one race, the human race, why should we be divided as we are?

Your religion divides people.

We should not, we should be united, realising that there is no superiority of one over another.

Your religion has decided it is superior. But, we know it's all just pure insanity.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 6:44:05 PM
At 8/20/2015 2:09:21 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

People are compassionate and kind to one another, this is the world I see. You probably need to move to a better neighborhood.

Your religion has decided it is superior. But, we know it's all just pure insanity.

No. Our God is superior, we are merely human, and are selected precisely because we are not in the least superior.

1 Corinthians 1:26-30
ASV(i) 26 For behold your calling, brethren, that not many wise after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27 but God chose the foolish things of the world, that he might put to shame them that are wise; and God chose the weak things of the world, that he might put to shame the things that are strong; 28 and the base things of the world, and the things that are despised, did God choose, yea and the things that are not, that he might bring to nought the things that are: 29 that no flesh should glory before God. 30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who was made unto us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption:

Would you be happy to be classified as the sort of person Jehovah selects? I suspect not.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 7:09:22 PM
At 8/20/2015 6:44:05 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 8/20/2015 2:09:21 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

No. Our God is superior, we are merely human, and are selected precisely because we are not in the least superior.

Your God is impotent and your boasts are those blown from a bumbling used car salesman trying to sell a pigs ear as a purse.

1 Corinthians 1:26-30
ASV(i) 26 For behold your calling, brethren, that not many wise after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27 but God chose the foolish things of the world, that he might put to shame them that are wise; and God chose the weak things of the world, that he might put to shame the things that are strong; 28 and the base things of the world, and the things that are despised, did God choose, yea and the things that are not, that he might bring to nought the things that are: 29 that no flesh should glory before God. 30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who was made unto us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption:

Would you be happy to be classified as the sort of person Jehovah selects? I suspect not.

If reasonable, rational and logical are strong traits of Jehovah and his selection classification process, your sage advice on these matters, He'll surely ignore.
kjw47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 8:09:30 PM

their were many good people in Noahs day too--they were mislead--that is all it takes.
Satan transforms into an angel of light( 2Cor 11:12-15) and uses love-sharing, whatever it takes to mislead. Many good hearted people are being mislead into serving false gods--breaking Gods #1 commandment daily.