Jump to topic:

Sex and Money

drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 2:02:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
You know when i look at Christianity and the other Abrahamic faiths there are a lot of good qualities but these religions cross the line when it comes to money and sex. The only sin in consensual sexual acts between two or even more loving or even casual people (straight or gay) is the idea that something so wonderful can in any way be a sin.

Including sex on the pile of evil acts is in my opinion evil.

Then their is the idea of money and power, that the rich, the powerful are in some way already corrupted, this is the type of thinking that holds people back from their potential to impact the world. I personally think the people who are doing well are receiving the blessings of God. Typically because they have chosen to try to have an impact on the world. There are obviously the wealth smucks out there, but they tend to get what is coming to them.

I doubt god cares if you are gay or straight, a spend thrift or frugal, a prude or swinger. I am pretty sure that the primary rule is try not to hurt any one if you can avoid it.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 2:24:41 AM
At 8/21/2015 2:02:00 AM, drpiek wrote:
You know when i look at Christianity and the other Abrahamic faiths there are a lot of good qualities but these religions cross the line when it comes to money and sex. The only sin in consensual sexual acts between two or even more loving or even casual people (straight or gay) is the idea that something so wonderful can in any way be a sin.

Then their is the idea of money and power, that the rich, the powerful are in some way already corrupted, this is the type of thinking that holds people back from their potential to impact the world. I personally think the people who are doing well are receiving the blessings of God. Typically because they have chosen to try to have an impact on the world. There are obviously the wealth smucks out there, but they tend to get what is coming to them.

I doubt god cares if you are gay or straight, a spend thrift or frugal, a prude or swinger. I am pretty sure that the primary rule is try not to hurt any one if you can avoid it.

Your last paragraph sums it all up nicely. God doen't care about petty things like sexual preferences as long as its consentual adults and is done out of true love and passion. The Song of Soloman spoke of this. And yes you remember what jesus said the Greatest Commandment of All was. Many Chrisitans also mininterpet the quote of it being easier for a camel to go thru the eye of a needle than a rich man to heaven. It is NOT being rich that blocks us from God, but sometimes its the Love of Money above Love of your Brothers and Sisters and God that can block us from Knowing His Will for Us. Many welathy people are good people and theres a lot of bad poor people. finances are beside the point here. another triviality not worth God's Thoughts and Hopes for us.
God bless...that was a fine post my Brother!
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
deadeye
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 1:32:15 PM
At 8/21/2015 2:24:41 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Your last paragraph sums it all up nicely. God doen't care about petty things like sexual preferences as long as its consentual adults and is done out of true love and passion. : :

God is concerned about everything that He created. In fact, He was concerned about the tiny details in your burning curtain story to call you out with His beast. Then He placed you in Christianity where the beast runs rampant in the minds of heathens, the one's who suggest you become a minister or other type of slave to their system.

You have no knowledge of God at this moment and the only way to that knowledge is to listen to His voice, but only if you're chosen to do so. If you continue to reject His voice, you will remain a very deceived Christian.

The Song of Soloman spoke of this. And yes you remember what jesus said the Greatest Commandment of All was. Many Chrisitans also mininterpet the quote of it being easier for a camel to go thru the eye of a needle than a rich man to heaven. It is NOT being rich that blocks us from God, but sometimes its the Love of Money above Love of your Brothers and Sisters and God that can block us from Knowing His Will for Us. Many welathy people are good people and theres a lot of bad poor people. finances are beside the point here. another triviality not worth God's Thoughts and Hopes for us.
God bless...that was a fine post my Brother!
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 1:35:27 PM
I think you are confused about what is a sin (as are many religious Christians).

Sin is not a collection of "bad" behaviors. Sin is the state of mind that often (but not always) results in bad/hurtful behaviors. It is not a sin to steal something because we stole something. It is a sin because we coveted that thing more than we cared about how taking it would effect others.

Sin is the state of mind and spirit that causes us to become willing to do harm to each other. Whether or not we actually do harm is irrelevant to our own sinfulness. It's relevant to our repentance, because we must make amends for what we have done to others through our sin, as we repent. But our sins aren't based on our our actions, they're based on our desire and intent.

To engage in sexual intercourse with another human being is not a sin. It only become sinful if we do so selfishly, and carelessly of others. The sin occurs within the heart, not the genitals.
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 10:50:33 PM

I agree. That's one reason that I will never follow any religion. 90% of them have a problem with money and sex. They really go over the top when they try to tell people that the fiery flames of hell are going to lick at their butts if they fornicate. I personally don't understand why a person should wait. It makes no sense. What if your wife has the ugliest body on the planet, with like a wart the size of a banana on her panty line, and it makes you want to vomit every time you see it. I'd just run and have my marriage annulled. What if the guy has a one inch penis and the girl can't believe that she has to have sex with it for the rest of her life. What if the sex is just downright horrible. I don't know about you, but I'd run. So throw me in hell, Jesus, if you want. I don't care. Ain't no way in hell that I'm going to marry a woman that I haven't even had sex with yet.
And then there's that money thing. Don't Christians know that money represents your dreams? So what you're saying is that you're dreams are evil? Listen folks, let me enlighten you...without money..no house...without money...bad drug ridden neighborhood...without money...no trips, none, not even to your grandma's house in upstate New York...no money...no Broncos games, no job security, no way to get that surgery, no way to have anything.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 11:02:17 PM
The only sin in consensual sexual acts between two or even more loving or even casual people (straight or gay) is the idea that something so wonderful can in any way be a sin.

In modern advertising, food and sex can be used to create anxieties and desires that can then be exploited financially.

In religion this is done routinely too.

Very few theologies that contain no proscriptions around food and sex. Since food and sex invoke some of the stronger human emotions, any attempt to control people emotionally must involve controlling these impulses.

And naturally, being told you are morally uplifted for donating your cash to clergy is a fine money-spinner too.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 11:09:08 PM

Remember the scriptures deal with intentions not just the surface of words, many immoral acts have been committed in the name of money and sex and I'm sure you can guess why, anyone who would deny that must be completely insane.
These things become an obstacle for spiritual growth, that is why Jesus reveals the nature of our thoughts and how to control ungodly desires.

Intentions my friend, God created sex but within appropriate context, it was never supposed to be about gratifying only the flesh but serves as a binder in marriage.

Intentions and priorities, you are putting too much focus on words, it's not words but ones intentions. There is nothing wrong with wealth and I can show you in the scriptures that it is good, but it is the intentions behind these things God wants us to be aware of and control.

God cares about what He intended for us as creation. God created sex to produce offspring while at the same time binding us through desires for our partner, so that the two are complete with one another.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 11:15:50 PM
At 8/21/2015 11:09:08 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Remember the scriptures deal with intentions not just the surface of words, many immoral acts have been committed in the name of money and sex and I'm sure you can guess why, anyone who would deny that must be completely insane.
These things become an obstacle for spiritual growth, that is why Jesus reveals the nature of our thoughts and how to control ungodly desires.

And it's not evil dude to include it at all, consider the pain and sorrow of some of the most gruesome acts committed such as rape, incest, molestation ect... these things begin with lust and they are not controlled, the end result is death (destruction). Many many many victims have been destroyed by acts of lust that have gone uncontrolled. I can share many stories from some of my most closest people in my life including myself, it can be much worse than you could imagine.

Intentions my friend, God created sex but within appropriate context, it was never supposed to be about gratifying only the flesh but serves as a binder in marriage.

Intentions and priorities, you are putting too much focus on words, it's not words but ones intentions. There is nothing wrong with wealth and I can show you in the scriptures that it is good, but it is the intentions behind these things God wants us to be aware of and control.

God cares about what He intended for us as creation. God created sex to produce offspring while at the same time binding us through desires for our partner, so that the two are complete with one another.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 11:25:20 PM
Jesus listed two commandments as the most important: "Love the LORD they God with all your heart..." and "love thy neighbor as yourself". Certain acts (such as consenting sex) might do nothing to violate the latter. However, even if no human being is harmed it's a violation of the former. Doing no evil against God is every bit as important as doing no evil against man.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 11:41:25 PM
At 8/21/2015 11:15:50 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

And it's not evil dude to include it at all, consider the pain and sorrow of some of the most gruesome acts committed such as rape, incest, molestation ect... these things begin with lust and they are not controlled, the end result is death (destruction). Many many many victims have been destroyed by acts of lust that have gone uncontrolled. I can share many stories from some of my most closest people in my life including myself, it can be much worse than you could imagine.

And BTW, if I have to supply examples to why money could become an evil then I'm done lol, sometimes it can get real ridiculous around here but think about this..... bank robbery, mafia, government, corrupt religions, thieving ect ect... I mean the list could just go on and on and on about how money could become an evil.....
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 3:38:16 PM

And it's not evil dude to include it at all, consider the pain and sorrow of some of the most gruesome acts committed such as rape, incest, molestation ect... these things begin with lust and they are not controlled, the end result is death (destruction).

Complete nonsense, all research and studies shows that lust has nothing to do with those atrocities. It is all about power and violence.

Many many many victims have been destroyed by acts of lust that have gone uncontrolled.

No, those victims were the result of power and violence of others, not lust. Try and get your facts straight.

I can share many stories from some of my most closest people in my life including myself, it can be much worse than you could imagine.

In other words, you're going to make up stuff and align it with your irrational religious beliefs, even though they don't align at all.

Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 3:49:41 PM
At 8/22/2015 3:38:16 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

And it's not evil dude to include it at all, consider the pain and sorrow of some of the most gruesome acts committed such as rape, incest, molestation ect... these things begin with lust and they are not controlled, the end result is death (destruction).

Complete nonsense, all research and studies shows that lust has nothing to do with those atrocities. It is all about power and violence.

Many many many victims have been destroyed by acts of lust that have gone uncontrolled.

No, those victims were the result of power and violence of others, not lust. Try and get your facts straight.

I can share many stories from some of my most closest people in my life including myself, it can be much worse than you could imagine.

In other words, you're going to make up stuff and align it with your irrational religious beliefs, even though they don't align at all.

You don't understand how things work do you? Lust is not the only element involved in criminal activity but to deny it's involvement is nothing short of well, I'll leave you to your own ignorance.
Do you always know why a father would rape his own daughter, why an uncle would molest his niece? why the teen bully rapes the girl at the prom? sure about the time one sets out to commit an atrocity the root has grown into many branches, including "power" and "violence" and whatever else comes with the territory but guess what ding dong, it began with lust.

Lust-is an emotion or feeling of intense desire in the body. The lust can take any form such as the lust for knowledge, the lust for sex or the lust for power. It can take such mundane forms as the lust for food as distinct from the need for food. Lust is a psychological force producing intense wanting for an object, or circumstance fulfilling the emotion.[1]

You want to deny anything the scriptures say, doesn't matter what it is you have to deny it, that's what atheists do lol.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 4:26:23 PM
At 8/22/2015 3:49:41 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

You don't understand how things work do you?

Yes, I do, but you clearly do not.

Lust is not the only element involved in criminal activity but to deny it's involvement is nothing short of well, I'll leave you to your own ignorance.

It is your ignorance to say lust has anything to do with criminal activity. Research and studies do not agree with you.

Do you always know why a father would rape his own daughter, why an uncle would molest his niece?

Because, they are sick, they have mental disorders.

why the teen bully rapes the girl at the prom?

Yes, it's about power and violence, these are what have been attributed to psychological analysis by professionals, not dim-witted believers on an internet forum.

sure about the time one sets out to commit an atrocity the root has grown into many branches, including "power" and "violence" and whatever else comes with the territory but guess what ding dong, it began with lust.

No, it didn't begin with lust, ding dong.

Lust-is an emotion or feeling of intense desire in the body. The lust can take any form such as the lust for knowledge, the lust for sex or the lust for power. It can take such mundane forms as the lust for food as distinct from the need for food. Lust is a psychological force producing intense wanting for an object, or circumstance fulfilling the emotion.[1]

Funny, how you don't even notice that nothing there agrees with you.

You want to deny anything the scriptures say, doesn't matter what it is you have to deny it, that's what atheists do lol.

It's not about denying bronze age myths and superstitions, it's about understanding current scientific research, which clearly you are completely devoid of.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 4:30:36 PM
At 8/22/2015 4:26:23 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Lust is not the only element involved in criminal activity but to deny it's involvement is nothing short of well, I'll leave you to your own ignorance.

It is your ignorance to say lust has anything to do with criminal activity. Research and studies do not agree with you.

Do you always know why a father would rape his own daughter, why an uncle would molest his niece?

Yes, it's about power and violence, these are what have been attributed to psychological analysis by professionals, not dim-witted believers on an internet forum.

sure about the time one sets out to commit an atrocity the root has grown into many branches, including "power" and "violence" and whatever else comes with the territory but guess what ding dong, it began with lust.

It's not about denying bronze age myths and superstitions, it's about understanding current scientific research, which clearly you are completely devoid of.

So in other words you have no idea what lust is, got it.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 5:57:09 PM
At 8/22/2015 4:30:36 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Of course, I do. What you don't seem to understand is scientific information regarding the topic. You would much prefer to wallow in the guesswork of bronze age goat herders.
UniversalTheologian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 6:09:33 PM
Through sex and money, people are constantly bribed away from being honest and doing the right thing.

Lets not kid ourselves.
"There are trivial truths and the great truths. The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false. The opposite of a great truth is also true." ~ Niels Bohr

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 6:15:01 PM
At 8/22/2015 5:57:09 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 8/22/2015 4:30:36 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Of course, I do. What you don't seem to understand is scientific information regarding the topic. You would much prefer to wallow in the guesswork of bronze age goat herders.

No you didn't, it's obvious in your silly responses you had no idea what I was saying, or what lust even covers, it's just another scriptural term you really are ignorant of, thanks for admitting I was right ding dong.
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 5:50:19 PM
At 8/21/2015 11:25:20 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Jesus listed two commandments as the most important: "Love the LORD they God with all your heart..." and "love thy neighbor as yourself". Certain acts (such as consenting sex) might do nothing to violate the latter. However, even if no human being is harmed it's a violation of the former. Doing no evil against God is every bit as important as doing no evil against man.

I am Panenthiest so to me everything is a manifestation of God. The only way I can do evil to God, is to do something either I or the other person does not want. Consensual between two adults is in no way an insult to God. Abstinence on the other hand could be considered an insult to god, so could considering such a gift as sex to be sinful.