Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

Have your relgious views shifted in anyway. .

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 6:01:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Have your religious views shifted in anyway since joining debate.org? If so specify how. If not, specify why.
"Change your sig."
~YYW
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 7:01:34 PM
At 8/21/2015 6:01:09 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Have your religious views shifted in anyway since joining debate.org? If so specify how. If not, specify why.

My religious view, as in my religious position? Well I am still irrelegious, or atheist. But I would now just identify as secular. Since I associate religion as a collection of acts or beliefs and ideologies, and not simply a belief in God. So, my position has been increasingly a-ideological, since ideologies are essentially an opinion - and claiming to have the right opinion makes absolutely no sense to me.

As for my position about religion in general, I am increasingly apathetic except where religion actually has an effect on the public sphere with demonstrable consequences.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 5:29:13 PM
At 8/21/2015 7:01:34 PM, Envisage wrote:

My religious view, as in my religious position? Well I am still irrelegious, or atheist. But I would now just identify as secular. Since I associate religion as a collection of acts or beliefs and ideologies, and not simply a belief in God. So, my position has been increasingly a-ideological, since ideologies are essentially an opinion - and claiming to have the right opinion makes absolutely no sense to me.

Well simply having a "belief" in some god changes absolutely nothing for the believer (and that's fine, if that's really what you want), but when you apply acts, principles, spiritual elements to ones life it becomes something tangible rather than just some label or idea. Jesus was a master at expressing practicality and relaying simple paths to connect with the spirit. This becomes something that has real weight in your life, something you can build on and observe. Ideologies and theories in and of themselves are really nothing, but when examined, applied and observed you have a chance to separate the wheat from the chaff, moving with what is true and what is not.

As for my position about religion in general, I am increasingly apathetic except where religion actually has an effect on the public sphere with demonstrable consequences.
hardin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 9:15:43 PM
At 8/22/2015 5:29:13 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 8/21/2015 7:01:34 PM, Envisage wrote:

Well simply having a "belief" in some god changes absolutely nothing for the believer (and that's fine, if that's really what you want), but when you apply acts, principles, spiritual elements to ones life it becomes something tangible rather than just some label or idea. Jesus was a master at expressing practicality and relaying simple paths to connect with the spirit. This becomes something that has real weight in your life, something you can build on and observe. Ideologies and theories in and of themselves are really nothing, but when examined, applied and observed you have a chance to separate the wheat from the chaff, moving with what is true and what is not.

As for my position about religion in general, I am increasingly apathetic except where religion actually has an effect on the public sphere with demonstrable consequences. : :

John 6
63 The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you"they are full of the Spirit[e] and life.
64 Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him.
65 He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them."
66 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

What is true is the spirit. What is not our true reality is the flesh that perishes in this world.