Total Posts:355|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

'Most Spiritual' discusses Spirituality!

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:09:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
In a recent shock announcement in the Nominations thread [http://www.debate.org...], our beloved colleague, the sensitive, compassionate and humble Harikrish revealed:

At 8/21/2015 10:12:35 PM, Harikrish wrote:
Even if I was nominated I would have to decline because I don't fit in any of the categories listed. What is missing is 6. Most spiritual member.
As a Vedantist raised in the Vedantic tradition and trained in the reading of esoteric scriptures, Christian Theology and Islamic fundamentalism. My spiritual aura alone would blind my detractors.

Since spirituality is a concern to many members in the Religion thread, I would like to cordially invite our Most Spiritual Member to explain it to us. In particular:

* What is spirituality?
* Is it inborn or developed? Can you improve it? How?
* How can we recognise just how spiritual a member is? Frankly, Hari, you knocked my socks off when you explained that you'd appraised everyone and pronounced yourself spiritually superior to us all. I didn't even know one could do that over the Internet. Please explain all!
* What is an 'aura'? How can it be detected?
* Just how bright does it have to be to blind you; is the blindness permanent or (hopefully) only just passingly impressive? Which part of the body is actually blinded, and is there any lasting damage?
* Does one have to learn Islamic fundamentalism to be spiritual? Does studying the Qur'an but taking a liberal interpretation on it count?
* Which esoteric scriptures are recommended, just how does one make any sense of them, and how can one be sure one's sense is correct?
* Universal Theologian has previously argued that atheists aren't spiritual. Would you agree, Hari? Is my aura depleted? And should that concern me? Why or why not?

I'm so very much looking forward to an education on this.
all-in-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:22:04 AM
At 8/22/2015 12:09:59 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
In a recent shock announcement in the Nominations thread [http://www.debate.org...], our beloved colleague, the sensitive, compassionate and humble Harikrish revealed:

Even if I was nominated I would have to decline because I don't fit in any of the categories listed. What is missing is 6. Most spiritual member.
As a Vedantist raised in the Vedantic tradition and trained in the reading of esoteric scriptures, Christian Theology and Islamic fundamentalism. My spiritual aura alone would blind my detractors.

Since spirituality is a concern to many members in the Religion thread, I would like to cordially invite our Most Spiritual Member to explain it to us. In particular:

* What is spirituality?
* How can we recognise just how spiritual a member is? Frankly, Hari, you knocked my socks off when you explained that you'd appraised everyone and pronounced yourself spiritually superior to us all. I didn't even know one could do that over the Internet. Please explain all!
* Just how bright does it have to be to blind you; is the blindness permanent or (hopefully) only just passingly impressive? Which part of the body is actually blinded, and is there any lasting damage?
* Does one have to learn Islamic fundamentalism to be spiritual? Does studying the Qur'an but taking a liberal interpretation on it count?
* Which esoteric scriptures are recommended, just how does one make any sense of them, and how can one be sure one's sense is correct?
* Universal Theologian has previously argued that atheists aren't spiritual. Would you agree, Hari? Is my aura depleted? And should that concern me? Why or why not?

I'm so very much looking forward to an education on this. : :

I love your wisdom Ruv.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:53:15 AM

* What is spirituality?

Nah I doubt you really want to learn anything my friend, I've seen enough of your posts to know you are in deep, it's going to take some serious work to pull you out of your mindset, but not likely. You are a dirty little man Draba, you can pretend to be a nice old fella but you are not fooling me, I see right through all of it, I am the core analyzer and you would be better off being real with us and take off the sheep clothing.
I noticed the people from which you are geographically located have much deeper atheistic roots than others, I wonder why that is....
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:56:54 AM
At 8/22/2015 12:53:15 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

* What is spirituality?

Nah I doubt you really want to learn anything my friend, I've seen enough of your posts to know you are in deep, it's going to take some serious work to pull you out of your mindset, but not likely. You are a dirty little man Draba, you can pretend to be a nice old fella but you are not fooling me, I see right through all of it, I am the core analyzer and you would be better off being real with us and take off the sheep clothing.
I noticed the people from which you are geographically located have much deeper atheistic roots than others, I wonder why that is....

http://www.debate.org...
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:59:45 AM
At 8/22/2015 12:56:54 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

* What is spirituality?

Wow, a stupid pretend thread where you think I'm gonna play your little games, we've all seen that so what?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 1:02:40 AM
At 8/22/2015 12:59:45 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

* What is spirituality?

Wow, a stupid pretend thread where you think I'm gonna play your little games, we've all seen that so what?

Sorry, I thought from your post here, you would be eager to attempt to define spirituality, so I brought up that thread again for your attention.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 1:08:36 AM
At 8/22/2015 1:02:40 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

* What is spirituality?

Sorry, I thought from your post here, you would be eager to attempt to define spirituality, so I brought up that thread again for your attention.

No, not eagerly for you, already been defined, you are an atheist and do not accept it, so what? what's new? an atheist won't accept the term "spirit" lol, does that surprise you?

Atheists only believe in a material existence, that is not something I can change.
all-in-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 1:16:04 AM
At 8/22/2015 1:08:36 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

* What is spirituality?

No, not eagerly for you, already been defined, you are an atheist and do not accept it, so what? what's new? an atheist won't accept the term "spirit" lol, does that surprise you?

Atheists only believe in a material existence, that is not something I can change. : :

What does SPIRIT mean?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 1:19:09 AM

* What is spirituality?

Since you have to ask what is spirituality . It is obvious you do not know what it is nor have you experienced it, which implies all your knowledge comes from cerebral activity. It is all mind and no personal transcendental experience.
Aura is the radiance that is generated from someone who is both healthy and spiritually at peace. It has a glow and can easily be detected on a person who is healthy, happy and comfortable in ones skin. It radiates confidence. There is even technology that can capture a persons aura.
Spirituality is transcending of the physical boundaries that limit our bodies and minds. The spiritual realm has no need for material or physical pleasures or possession, which are only distractions that prevent us from reaching our ultimate goal which is our larger consciousness of the universe and the need for harmony with it.
The products of spirituality is love, kindness and infinite patience. I spend hours in meditation and focus on the goodness that can come from DDO members if they all shared my spirituality. But I accept we are a cloth of many colours and my patience must endure our differences..
Every word that I meditate on is rich with the knowledge you all will someday be enlightened too.
Spirituality is not hope but a disciplined certainty. What you put in you will be enriched proportionately . Consider yourself embraced by my abundance.

http://www.meditationiseasy.com...
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 1:20:37 AM

* What is spirituality?

So...to me, being really Spiritual would prevent somebody from thinking they were superior to others. I think a good part of spirituality is to feel a small but vital part of a larger whole. Like all of Creation, --and to me, God, but this aint necessary. Atheists can be spiritual too. Its just feeling vital and completely happy for your station in this world and the Cosmos, and being spiritual also involves being able to use your senses to the utmost for enjoyment and appreciation of things. Like music; art; nature; even taste! Good food. Being able to be completely absorbed, maybe overwhelmed with the quality of these things. And being also in the moment. In the zone as us athletes say. Buddhists would call it a Zen moment. One with Everything.
I myself add a satisfying relationship with God to this, and feeling His Grace upon me. (This again is only my idea--I might not include it if I had to do an objective and 'clinical" if thats the right word, definition of Spirituality.
At any rate...ego and arrogance is NOT a part of it, and in fact I think those things would prevent Spirituality.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 1:57:18 AM
At 8/22/2015 1:19:09 AM, Harikrish wrote:

* What is spirituality?

Since you have to ask what is spirituality . It is obvious you do not know what it is nor have you experienced it, which implies all your knowledge comes from cerebral activity. It is all mind and no personal transcendental experience.
Aura is the radiance that is generated from someone who is both healthy and spiritually at peace. It has a glow and can easily be detected on a person who is healthy, happy and comfortable in ones skin. It radiates confidence. There is even technology that can capture a persons aura.
Spirituality is transcending of the physical boundaries that limit our bodies and minds. The spiritual realm has no need for material or physical pleasures or possession, which are only distractions that prevent us from reaching our ultimate goal which is our larger consciousness of the universe and the need for harmony with it.
The products of spirituality is love, kindness and infinite patience. I spend hours in meditation and focus on the goodness that can come from DDO members if they all shared my spirituality. But I accept we are a cloth of many colours and my patience must endure our differences..
Every word that I meditate on is rich with the knowledge you all will someday be enlightened too.
Spirituality is not hope but a disciplined certainty. What you put in you will be enriched proportionately . Consider yourself embraced by my abundance.

Now we're talkin my friend... I like the underlined but the "aura" thing you need to work on as "comfort" has little to do with change and acceptance and even spirituality. Sounds kinda generic and atheists will have no idea what the heck you mean.

EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 2:07:16 AM
At 8/22/2015 1:16:04 AM, all-in-one wrote:

* What is spirituality?

Atheists only believe in a material existence, that is not something I can change. : :

What does SPIRIT mean?

Go play Bog lol. I already know what you think and it doesn't matter what I think to you at all. You will only use this opportunity to proselytize.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 2:13:11 AM
At 8/22/2015 1:57:18 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

* What is spirituality?

Now we're talkin my friend... I like the underlined but the "aura" thing you need to work on as "comfort" has little to do with change and acceptance and even spirituality. Sounds kinda generic and atheists will have no idea what the heck you mean.

An aura is a field of subtle, luminous radiation surrounding a person or object like the halo or aureola in religious art. The depiction of such an aura often connotes a person of particular power or holiness. Wiki.
all-in-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 2:24:16 AM
At 8/22/2015 2:07:16 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

* What is spirituality?

What does SPIRIT mean?

Go play Bog lol. I already know what you think and it doesn't matter what I think to you at all. You will only use this opportunity to proselytize. : :

And you don't talk about what you know to be true or believe? Every religious person in this forum is proselytizing.

Ruv and I would like to know what Spirit means to you?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 3:42:47 AM
At 8/22/2015 2:13:11 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 8/22/2015 1:57:18 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

* What is spirituality?

An aura is a field of subtle, luminous radiation surrounding a person or object like the halo or aureola in religious art. The depiction of such an aura often connotes a person of particular power or holiness. Wiki.

Yes I know what an aura is.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 3:47:01 AM
At 8/22/2015 2:24:16 AM, all-in-one wrote:

* What is spirituality?

What does SPIRIT mean?

Go play Bog lol. I already know what you think and it doesn't matter what I think to you at all. You will only use this opportunity to proselytize. : :

And you don't talk about what you know to be true or believe? Every religious person in this forum is proselytizing.

Actually I was asked nothing by Draba but for you I will say this, why do you care? all you will do is proselytize and tell me how I'm an anti christ and not a chosen believer because I will not head to your nonsense lol, sound about right?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 3:48:53 AM
At 8/22/2015 3:47:01 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 8/22/2015 2:24:16 AM, all-in-one wrote:

* What is spirituality?

What does SPIRIT mean?

Actually I was asked nothing by Draba but for you I will say this, why do you care? all you will do is proselytize and tell me how I'm an anti christ and not a chosen believer because I will not head to your nonsense lol, sound about right?

*heed*.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 5:17:03 AM
* What is spirituality?

Since you have to ask what is spirituality . It is obvious you do not know what it is nor have you experienced it

Hari, thank you for responding.

Regarding my questions, I asked because you seemed confident you knew. From what I've seen, most people who talk about spirituality don't actually agree on what it is, and few can identify a single, independently observable feature that would show someone to be spiritual (or not.)

Which makes me wonder whether claims to spirituality aren't all about superstition, pretension and smug self-satisfaction. And with that as a credible alternative account, how do you know they're not?

Aura is the radiance that is generated from someone who is both healthy and spiritually at peace. It has a glow and can easily be detected on a person who is healthy, happy and comfortable in ones skin.

Sorry to quibble, but are you being poetic, or is this actually detectable light? Is it in the visible spectrum? If not, how do you manage to perceive it? Can you read a book by your own self-confidence? If not, is there anything it actually does, beyond emanating attitude that pronounces to the world, "I'm so awfully impressed by ME"?

There is even technology that can capture a persons aura.
Does this technology work for anyone, or only for believers? And what independently-confirmable properties of character can it accurately predict?

Spirituality is transcending of the physical boundaries that limit our bodies and minds.
Does that mean spiritual people are able to lift more, can balance better on tightropes, and are less forgetful in old age? If not, then what are you actually talking about?

The products of spirituality is love, kindness and infinite patience.
So... where do you export your product? I haven't seen you express many of these virtues on DDO, who who are the beneficiaries?

Is there a way of opting out? I'm sincere in saying that my personal vision of a rich and meaningful life is to spend as little of it like a superstitious, self-satisfied twat as one can. It rather distresses me to think that might be my destiny regardless.

Might I opt out of that too? I had a fat uncle who used to embrace me with his abundance. I'd rather not have that experience again either.

I suppose what I'm asking is: allowing that you are self-admittedly overwhelmed by your own magnificence and can't imagine anyone else seeing differently, nevertheless, what on earth has that to do with the happiness, development or fulfillment of any other human being, or your supposed expertise to advise them on same?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 5:50:30 AM

* What is spirituality?

I've seen enough of your posts to know you are in deep

...into critical thought, and zero tolerance for unsubstantiated claims to authority, yes -- guilty as charged.

But I'd hope everyone on a debating site supported those things, EV. I'm not clear on what a debate should do if not strongly critique ill-reasoned, overstated ideas delivered with false assurances of authority.

(Er... what else should it do?)

You are a dirty little man Draba

Does that mean you're convinced I am an atheist? If so, that's a relief! Hari and Augie are both convinced I'm not, but I've never heard a person of faith call an agnostic 'dirty' before, so I'll take that as one vote to me.

Thank you for hating me to the degree appropriate for my theological stance, EV; it's a great weight off my mind, I can tell you!
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 7:30:22 AM

* What is spirituality?

Spirituality IS religion, despite the various and sundry protestations otherwise. If not, they are so similar that we might as well lump them together. As most of you know, Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous have long made the claim, "We are spiritual - not religious." The trouble with that is: every time forced attendance is challenged in court, the court always finds them to engage is religious activity.

IMO, the two (spirituality and religion) are artificially separated in order to create confusion - or to attempt to create it.

I will quote District Judge John Shabaz of Wisconsin who examined one such case:

"Alcoholics Anonymous materials and the testimony of the witness established beyond a doubt that religious activities, as defined in constitutional law, were a part of the treatment program. The distinction between religion and spirituality is meaningless, and serves merely to confuse the issue."

The underlined portion expresses my sentiments exactly.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:49:22 PM
At 8/22/2015 1:20:37 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

* What is spirituality?

So...to me, being really Spiritual would prevent somebody from thinking they were superior to others. I think a good part of spirituality is to feel a small but vital part of a larger whole. Like all of Creation, --and to me, God, but this aint necessary. Atheists can be spiritual too.

Augie, I wanted to thank you for this post.

I recognise that 'spiritual' can mean whatever the speaker wants it to mean, but to the extent I as an atheist speak of someone's 'spirit', I speak of their values, their passions, their concerns and their commitment to advancing those things -- in sacrifice, if need be.

And in that sense, to me, 'spiritual' just means being mindful about those things, and keeping them relevant and balanced between ourselves, the people we deal with, and the place we live in.

You can tell by the tone of my original post that I'm not at all impressed by the idea of someone using 'spirit' as a form of status. I view that as religious pomposity, and the only way I think Hari will get off the hook for adopting such a conceited pretense is to either recant such a ludicrous claim, or demonstrate something substantive that upholds it.

As will be obvious from context, Hari isn't one of my favourite members. I often find him brutally cruel with no regard for his impacts on others, and with very little constructive to say. However for me, this claim is something of a pinnacle of conceit. I can't imagine any person really needing to believe such self-important baloney, and can only hope he might begin to see how laughably disrespectful such vanity is.

Or at least, how unsupportable it is to claim it.

At any rate...ego and arrogance is NOT a part of it, and in fact I think those things would prevent Spirituality.

I don't have great problems with ego in its place. we live in a world of threat, and ego helps protect us. However, a mind dominated by ego can't really see much else... it's not a mindful mind... and so under the definition I proposed, egotism would seem to be an impediment to the kind of spirituality I think we're both talking about.

Again, thanks for such a constructive and thoughtful post. :)
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 1:06:40 PM
At 8/22/2015 7:30:22 AM, annanicole wrote:
* What is spirituality?

Spirituality IS religion, despite the various and sundry protestations otherwise. If not, they are so similar that we might as well lump them together.

I will quote District Judge John Shabaz of Wisconsin who examined one such case:

"Alcoholics Anonymous materials and the testimony of the witness established beyond a doubt that religious activities, as defined in constitutional law, were a part of the treatment program. The distinction between religion and spirituality is meaningless, and serves merely to confuse the issue."

Thanks for this contribution, Annanicole.

Like a lot of atheists, I have many friends of disparate faiths -- from people of traditional Roman Catholic and Protestant rites, through to Hindus, Buddhists and New Agers; and people who've adopted ideas that I consider religious even if they don't (like astrology, say.)

Virtually all of them talk about 'spirit' at times, and when they do they often seem to mean different things:

1) What I might call 'character' -- values, passions, attitudes and integrity, and the way they influence relationships;
2) Mystical agency -- something I don't believe in at all;
3) Sensitivity to the mystical agency of others, and of the universe -- ditto;
4) Appreciation of the numinous -- I see that more as a quirk of character; and
5) Artistic inclination.

In certain circles, I'd agree that 'spiritual' invariably means religiosity. We see that usage in this forum often enough. On at least two occasions I've seen a member challenged to explain what 'spirit' means, and they've responded with what to me looks like theological submission.

But in broader circles, I think it can mean a bunch of other stuff.

Regarding the cult-like behaviour of AA and NA... I think they're unquestionably religious; they're just not theological. I agree that they've misrepresented 'religious but not theological' as 'spiritual but not religious'.

Anyway, in the broader, non-religious sense (say -- 1, 5 and possibly 4), I see no reason anyone can't claim spiritual interests if they choose.
all-in-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 1:13:41 PM
At 8/22/2015 12:49:22 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 8/22/2015 1:20:37 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

* What is spirituality?

So...to me, being really Spiritual would prevent somebody from thinking they were superior to others. I think a good part of spirituality is to feel a small but vital part of a larger whole. Like all of Creation, --and to me, God, but this aint necessary. Atheists can be spiritual too.

Augie, I wanted to thank you for this post.

I recognise that 'spiritual' can mean whatever the speaker wants it to mean, but to the extent I as an atheist speak of someone's 'spirit', I speak of their values, their passions, their concerns and their commitment to advancing those things -- in sacrifice, if need be.

And in that sense, to me, 'spiritual' just means being mindful about those things, and keeping them relevant and balanced between ourselves, the people we deal with, and the place we live in.

You can tell by the tone of my original post that I'm not at all impressed by the idea of someone using 'spirit' as a form of status. I view that as religious pomposity, and the only way I think Hari will get off the hook for adopting such a conceited pretense is to either recant such a ludicrous claim, or demonstrate something substantive that upholds it.

As will be obvious from context, Hari isn't one of my favourite members. I often find him brutally cruel with no regard for his impacts on others, and with very little constructive to say. However for me, this claim is something of a pinnacle of conceit. I can't imagine any person really needing to believe such self-important baloney, and can only hope he might begin to see how laughably disrespectful such vanity is.

Or at least, how unsupportable it is to claim it.

I don't have great problems with ego in its place. we live in a world of threat, and ego helps protect us. However, a mind dominated by ego can't really see much else... it's not a mindful mind... and so under the definition I proposed, egotism would seem to be an impediment to the kind of spirituality I think we're both talking about.

Again, thanks for such a constructive and thoughtful post. :) : :

The Spirit that's used in the Bible refers to our Creator's thoughts. Everything visible and invisible in our universe began in the thoughts ( mind ) of a Creator who spoke those thoughts into a program called Eternal Life.

Computer programmers of this world can speak commands into a voice recognition program to design computer programs today. However, our Creator's technology is way more advanced than the computers that he taught his people to build during this first age.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 1:27:26 PM
At 8/22/2015 1:13:41 PM, all-in-one wrote:
The Spirit that's used in the Bible refers to our Creator's thoughts. Everything visible and invisible in our universe began in the thoughts ( mind ) of a Creator who spoke those thoughts into a program called Eternal Life.

Computer programmers of this world can speak commands into a voice recognition program to design computer programs today. However, our Creator's technology is way more advanced than the computers that he taught his people to build during this first age.

As a former computer programmer myself, it'd be nice to have a creator in the same profession. :)

And I think there have been several philosophies that see our reality as a dream (simulation, artefact) of some great Creator's thoughts, Brad. Empirically, I can't discount that, however I have some reservations about your particular claims:

1) I think the Bible is not terribly consistent with that view, and in itself is an ill-conceived soup of unconnected ideas that people keep trying to unsuccessfully reconcile. I think you'd get further linking (say) Hinduism, Buddhism or Jainism to that view, since they already reference illusion, while the Bible tends to treat the world as real;

2) If you want to posit that the universe is synthetic, I have no philosophical objection. However from this particular synthetic universe, inferring a compassionate, intelligent designer seems to me an injection of assumptions and not a valid conclusion. You could equally argue that this universe was created parametrically from a template by a rather stupid and lazy child who doesn't value anything in the universe at all. Really, the conjecture of creation doesn't buy you much. It certainly doesn't buy you a metaphysical father-figure, an objective morality or a promise of afterlife. I don't think it even buys you the idea of spirituality, in the sense I defined it above.
all-in-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 2:05:49 PM
At 8/22/2015 1:27:26 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

As a former computer programmer myself, it'd be nice to have a creator in the same profession. :)

And I think there have been several philosophies that see our reality as a dream (simulation, artefact) of some great Creator's thoughts, Brad. Empirically, I can't discount that, however I have some reservations about your particular claims:

1) I think the Bible is not terribly consistent with that view, and in itself is an ill-conceived soup of unconnected ideas that people keep trying to unsuccessfully reconcile. I think you'd get further linking (say) Hinduism, Buddhism or Jainism to that view, since they already reference illusion, while the Bible tends to treat the world as real;

I was taught directly from our Creator so I didn't need to read the religious philosophies of men who produced the Bible and other books of this world. The Bible consists of two different kinds of thoughts and that's the reason no man can interpret it correctly.

The original writings of prophets and saints came into being as our Creator put words in the minds of these men, including me, who witnessed those words they wrote. It's similar to how inventors, architects, painters, musicians, poets, writers, etc. experience in their minds.

However, the thoughts that our Creator puts in the minds of us saints and prophets are to teach us who we are and how he created everything. He also teaches us his plans for the future by using the visible objects of this world that he taught man to build with their human hands. This is why he has to teach us about the Beast that is written about in the biblical books of Daniel and Revelation. Read this; http://www.debate.org...

The thoughts that inventors, architects, musicians, poets and other writers get are about this world that we're all experiencing as one big world, even though each one of us only gets a tiny portion of those experiences through our own individual senses. The only reason our world gets bigger is because of shared experiences between us individuals.

I can use many biblical prophecies to show you how it fits into a virtual world, especially information about the future that couldn't be possible in a real world with real time. No Creator could tell you about future events unless he has already created it. Like my future death for example. I have witnessed my death in a dream and then was taught by our Creator that the dream is my future. This would only be possible in a virtual program where he can take a segment out of that program and play it in my mind.

2) If you want to posit that the universe is synthetic, I have no philosophical objection. However from this particular synthetic universe, inferring a compassionate, intelligent designer seems to me an injection of assumptions and not a valid conclusion. You could equally argue that this universe was created parametrically from a template by a rather stupid and lazy child who doesn't value anything in the universe at all. Really, the conjecture of creation doesn't buy you much. It certainly doesn't buy you a metaphysical father-figure, an objective morality or a promise of afterlife. I don't think it even buys you the idea of spirituality, in the sense I defined it above. : :

The spirit of God is his thoughts ( information ). That's all it means. So the Kingdom of the Spirit is our Creator's collective thoughts spoken into a computing language called waves that consists of a program called Eternal Life. It's not much different than the information in a CD-ROM where a virtual program called "The Sims" is contained. That's why our Creator used the Sims simulation game to teach me exactly who we are as characters in the program.

There's a reason why our Creator compares us people to grass and the other beasts of this world. He values His whole program, not the individual blades of grass and the bodies of his men and beasts.

The first part of his program was to teach us who we are and the other details he wanted us to know before it ends. In the next part of the program, we will experience life much differently with all the rules of the game changed from the rules ( laws ) that govern our experiences during this first age. This means we'll be flying, floating, and walking through other images that we can't do today.

We'll be experiencing life in many different types of bodies. Our Creator used game simulations and computer aided movies to show me the possible bodies we'll have in Paradise. He used a dream I had in high school of being a crop-spraying airplane. Not the pilot of the plane but the plane itself was my body. It was the most exhilarating experience I have ever had in my entire life.

Whatever you can imagine in your mind today is possible to happen in your future. There is no limit to what our Creator can form as visible objects with His computing language, which is much more advanced than our limited binary code we use in our computers.

Think of one wavelength of a vibration as a bit of information like the 0 and a 1 are in a binary computer code. Can you see the infinite possibilities that can be created by using wavelengths of vibrations rather than our computer binary code?

Physicists are talking about future quantum computing technology but our Creator's technology is beyond that already.
JJ50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 2:35:32 PM
At 8/22/2015 2:05:49 PM, all-in-one wrote:

I was taught directly from our Creator so I didn't need to read the religious philosophies of men who produced the Bible and other books of this world. The Bible consists of two different kinds of thoughts and that's the reason no man can interpret it correctly.

The original writings of prophets and saints came into being as our Creator put words in the minds of these men, including me, who witnessed those words they wrote. It's similar to how inventors, architects, painters, musicians, poets, writers, etc. experience in their minds.

However, the thoughts that our Creator puts in the minds of us saints and prophets are to teach us who we are and how he created everything. He also teaches us his plans for the future by using the visible objects of this world that he taught man to build with their human hands. This is why he has to teach us about the Beast that is written about in the biblical books of Daniel and Revelation. Read this; http://www.debate.org...

The thoughts that inventors, architects, musicians, poets and other writers get are about this world that we're all experiencing as one big world, even though each one of us only gets a tiny portion of those experiences through our own individual senses. The only reason our world gets bigger is because of shared experiences between us individuals.

I can use many biblical prophecies to show you how it fits into a virtual world, especially information about the future that couldn't be possible in a real world with real time. No Creator could tell you about future events unless he has already created it. Like my future death for example. I have witnessed my death in a dream and then was taught by our Creator that the dream is my future. This would only be possible in a virtual program where he can take a segment out of that program and play it in my mind.

2) If you want to posit that the universe is synthetic, I have no philosophical objection. However from this particular synthetic universe, inferring a compassionate, intelligent designer seems to me an injection of assumptions and not a valid conclusion. You could equally argue that this universe was created parametrically from a template by a rather stupid and lazy child who doesn't value anything in the universe at all. Really, the conjecture of creation doesn't buy you much. It certainly doesn't buy you a metaphysical father-figure, an objective morality or a promise of afterlife. I don't think it even buys you the idea of spirituality, in the sense I defined it above. : :

The spirit of God is his thoughts ( information ). That's all it means. So the Kingdom of the Spirit is our Creator's collective thoughts spoken into a computing language called waves that consists of a program called Eternal Life. It's not much different than the information in a CD-ROM where a virtual program called "The Sims" is contained. That's why our Creator used the Sims simulation game to teach me exactly who we are as characters in the program.

There's a reason why our Creator compares us people to grass and the other beasts of this world. He values His whole program, not the individual blades of grass and the bodies of his men and beasts.

The first part of his program was to teach us who we are and the other details he wanted us to know before it ends. In the next part of the program, we will experience life much differently with all the rules of the game changed from the rules ( laws ) that govern our experiences during this first age. This means we'll be flying, floating, and walking through other images that we can't do today.

We'll be experiencing life in many different types of bodies. Our Creator used game simulations and computer aided movies to show me the possible bodies we'll have in Paradise. He used a dream I had in high school of being a crop-spraying airplane. Not the pilot of the plane but the plane itself was my body. It was the most exhilarating experience I have ever had in my entire life.

Whatever you can imagine in your mind today is possible to happen in your future. There is no limit to what our Creator can form as visible objects with His computing language, which is much more advanced than our limited binary code we use in our computers.

Think of one wavelength of a vibration as a bit of information like the 0 and a 1 are in a binary computer code. Can you see the infinite possibilities that can be created by using wavelengths of vibrations rather than our computer binary code?

Physicists are talking about future quantum computing technology but our Creator's technology is beyond that already.

More garbage from brad!
all-in-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 2:38:58 PM
At 8/22/2015 2:35:32 PM, JJ50 wrote:
At 8/22/2015 2:05:49 PM, all-in-one wrote:

More garbage from brad! : :

What you consider garbage is our true created existence my friend. It's too bad you're left out of this information with your disbelief. Most religious Jews, Christians and Muslims are left out with their religious dogma they believe in. The Jesus of the New Testament has deceived more people from the Truth than anyone on this planet because no reader of the New Testament knew who our Creator was.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 3:07:43 PM
At 8/22/2015 1:06:40 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
* What is spirituality?

Spirituality IS religion, despite the various and sundry protestations otherwise. If not, they are so similar that we might as well lump them together.

Thanks for this contribution, Annanicole.

Like a lot of atheists, I have many friends of disparate faiths -- from people of traditional Roman Catholic and Protestant rites, through to Hindus, Buddhists and New Agers; and people who've adopted ideas that I consider religious even if they don't (like astrology, say.)

Virtually all of them talk about 'spirit' at times, and when they do they often seem to mean different things:

1) What I might call 'character' -- values, passions, attitudes and integrity, and the way they influence relationships;
5) Artistic inclination.

In certain circles, I'd agree that 'spiritual' invariably means religiosity. We see that usage in this forum often enough. On at least two occasions I've seen a member challenged to explain what 'spirit' means, and they've responded with what to me looks like theological submission.

But in broader circles, I think it can mean a bunch of other stuff.

Then they are using a different definition of the word. Even a horse might be described as "high-spirited" (attitude)
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 4:43:13 PM
At 8/22/2015 3:07:43 PM, annanicole wrote:
* What is spirituality?

5) Artistic inclination.
Then they are using a different definition of the word. Even a horse might be described as "high-spirited" (attitude)

Yes, but they are old alternative definitions. 'Spirit' comes from Latin spiritus, which was used to translate Greek pneuma and Hebrew ruah. The term has meant 'breath', 'breath of life', 'life' and a range of dispositions like 'character; high spirit, vigor, courage; pride, arrogance' since at least the 12th century. [http://www.etymonline.com...]

So we've been stuck with these overlaid meanings for most of the history of English -- and this might explain some of the confusion in modern usage. :)

(It also might help explain Harikrish's usage at top. :p)
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 4:46:25 PM
At 8/22/2015 4:43:13 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 8/22/2015 3:07:43 PM, annanicole wrote:
* What is spirituality?

5) Artistic inclination.

Yes, but they are old alternative definitions. 'Spirit' comes from Latin spiritus, which was used to translate Greek pneuma and Hebrew ruah. The term has meant 'breath', 'breath of life', 'life' and a range of dispositions like 'character; high spirit, vigor, courage; pride, arrogance' since at least the 12th century. [http://www.etymonline.com...]

So we've been stuck with these overlaid meanings for most of the history of English -- and this might explain some of the confusion in modern usage. :)

(It also might help explain Harikrish's usage at top. :p)

Well, one good thing: by those definitions, even the most ardent, outspoken atheist could be very, very "spiritual", all the while denying that he even has a spirit. Somehow that doesn't make much sense.