1. You believe in the drivel on evilbible.com

How straightforward.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2015 1:18:39 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
An atheist for decades, and strongly opposed to claiming authority for theology for nearly all that time, I have never read evilbible.com, and only just now opened the web-site.

Unfortunately, it's not in a format or tone I found particularly readable, some of the points it raises on its landing page are familiar criticisms of Christian theology, and some I think are overstated.

Thank you for the reference anyway, Leugen. I think it's useful to subject all human thought to scrutiny; else one is blindly adhering to fundamentalist zealotry, yes?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2015 1:21:45 AM
At 8/25/2015 12:53:39 AM, Leugen9001 wrote:
10. You believe in the drivel on evilbible.com
9. You believe in the drivel on evilbible.com
8. You believe in the drivel on evilbible.com
7. You believe in the drivel on evilbible.com
6. You believe in the drivel on evilbible.com
5. You believe in the drivel on evilbible.com
4. You believe in the drivel on evilbible.com
3. You believe in the drivel on evilbible.com
2. You believe in the drivel on evilbible.com

Yea, this is not in my list of go-to sites. Thanks for the link, I guess, but you sure have missed the target with your list.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2015 4:49:04 AM

And if you believe the drivel at bible.com ...?
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2015 8:24:13 AM

Oh, the Bible alone is enough to make any sane person a fundamental atheist. Don't mind that kind of webpages.
Leugen9001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 11:59:10 PM
At 8/25/2015 8:24:13 AM, Otokage wrote:

Oh, the Bible alone is enough to make any sane person a fundamental atheist. Don't mind that kind of webpages.

11. You think that you know more about the Bible than a Christian because you know how to read out of context quotes from evilbible.com
:) nac
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2015 1:23:07 PM
At 8/26/2015 11:59:10 PM, Leugen9001 wrote:

11. You think that you know more about the Bible than a Christian because you know how to read out of context quotes from evilbible.com

Well I know the same about the Bible as a Christian. Anyone these days can read the Bible, it is an easy to get book, it is cheap, and it is on the internet for free. What I do different from a Christian, is that I look at the Bible as I look at any other book, and the base for my critique is the same base for any other book. Christians are, sadly, unable to do it. If they did, well they would most likely become atheists :)
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 7:44:02 PM
At 8/27/2015 1:23:07 PM, Otokage wrote:

Well I know the same about the Bible as a Christian. Anyone these days can read the Bible, it is an easy to get book, it is cheap, and it is on the internet for free. What I do different from a Christian, is that I look at the Bible as I look at any other book, and the base for my critique is the same base for any other book. Christians are, sadly, unable to do it. If they did, well they would most likely become atheists :)
What an absurd claim. I did not convert to Christianity because I blindly accepted the Bible without thoroughly studying criticisms. You may know the same amount of information about the Bible as a 'Christian' (rather vague since not all Christians have the same level of knowledge on Biblical topics), but that does not mean that all atheists do. In fact, most I have encountered have a very limited understanding of the Holy Scriptures.
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 9:09:44 PM
At 8/28/2015 7:44:02 PM, tstor wrote:

What an absurd claim. I did not convert to Christianity because I blindly accepted the Bible without thoroughly studying criticisms. You may know the same amount of information about the Bible as a 'Christian' (rather vague since not all Christians have the same level of knowledge on Biblical topics), but that does not mean that all atheists do. In fact, most I have encountered have a very limited understanding of the Holy Scriptures.

You converted? That's nice. What were you before converting?
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 2:43:56 PM
At 8/28/2015 9:09:44 PM, Otokage wrote:

I went from Atheist >> agnostic >> Christian
"The afternoon came down as imperceptibly as age comes to a happy man. A little gold entered into the sunlight. The bay became bluer and dimpled with shore-wind ripples. Those lonely fishermen who believe that the fish bite at high tide left their rocks, and their places were taken by others, who were convinced that the fish bite at low tide." (John Steinbeck; Tortilla Flat, 1935)
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 3:05:07 PM
At 8/29/2015 2:43:56 PM, tstor wrote:
At 8/28/2015 9:09:44 PM, Otokage wrote:

I went from Atheist >> agnostic >> Christian

The Bible is not a difficult book to understand for any adult, in fact, it is a rather easy to get fiction mixed with some easy to get philosophy. Why do you thibk I would have problems understanding it?

But anyway, point being the Bible is extremely difficult to criticize for a christian, while atheists find it easy to elaborate biblical critique, as easy as a critique to any other book. This is somethig religious people really need to improve at, but of course the book itself prevents christians from doing critiques (ie, it is a sin to criticize it, etc) and so this is not really helpful to develop christians' critical thinking, is it?
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 3:38:42 PM
At 8/29/2015 3:05:07 PM, Otokage wrote:

The Bible is not a difficult book to understand for any adult, in fact, it is a rather easy to get fiction mixed with some easy to get philosophy. Why do you thibk I would have problems understanding it?
I did not say that you would. I am saying that many people do. Even Christians. Most atheists I have met claim to understand the Bible, yet they ask questions like: "Why don't Christians hate shellfish like they do homosexuals?"
Neither of which I hate.

But anyway, point being the Bible is extremely difficult to criticize for a christian, while atheists find it easy to elaborate biblical critique, as easy as a critique to any other book. This is somethig religious people really need to improve at, but of course the book itself prevents christians from doing critiques (ie, it is a sin to criticize it, etc) and so this is not really helpful to develop christians' critical thinking, is it?
I agree that many Christians do lack critical thinking when it comes to religion. It is like they leave their brains at the door of the church. I can't say I can relate to Christians in that aspect.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 2:10:00 AM
At 8/29/2015 3:38:42 PM, tstor wrote:
At 8/29/2015 3:05:07 PM, Otokage wrote:

I did not say that you would. I am saying that many people do. Even Christians. Most atheists I have met claim to understand the Bible, yet they ask questions like: "Why don't Christians hate shellfish like they do homosexuals?"
Neither of which I hate.

Oh but there's quite a big difference between understanding a book, and understanding christian behaviour. I admit I can not understand some christians and I bet we would probably need a psychologist to get why they do/think some things.

I agree that many Christians do lack critical thinking when it comes to religion. It is like they leave their brains at the door of the church. I can't say I can relate to Christians in that aspect.

That's very nice. I suppose you believe in the christian God because it makes sense to you after puting your critical thinking to work. In other words, it makes scientific sense for you that God exists. Correct?
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 2:16:55 AM
At 8/30/2015 2:10:00 AM, Otokage wrote:
"Why don't Christians hate shellfish like they do homosexuals?"
Neither of which I hate.

Oh but there's quite a big difference between understanding a book, and understanding christian behaviour. I admit I can not understand some christians and I bet we would probably need a psychologist to get why they do/think some things.
Indeed. However, the law about shellfish is no longer binding. Well, neither is the Leviticus verse on homosexuality, despite it being commonly quoted. Homosexuality is still a sin according to the New Testament, but we should still respect them and love them as anyone else.

However, I agree that it is hard to understand most Christians.

That's very nice. I suppose you believe in the christian God because it makes sense to you after puting your critical thinking to work. In other words, it makes scientific sense for you that God exists. Correct?
Yes, the Bible makes sense to me. Can you clarify what you mean by 'scientific sense'? I do not want to prematurely agree to anything.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 2:19:35 AM
At 8/30/2015 2:16:55 AM, tstor wrote:
At 8/30/2015 2:10:00 AM, Otokage wrote:
"Why don't Christians hate shellfish like they do homosexuals?"
Neither of which I hate.

Indeed. However, the law about shellfish is no longer binding. Well, neither is the Leviticus verse on homosexuality, despite it being commonly quoted. Homosexuality is still a sin according to the New Testament, but we should still respect them and love them as anyone else.

However, I agree that it is hard to understand most Christians.

Yes, the Bible makes sense to me. Can you clarify what you mean by 'scientific sense'? I do not want to prematurely agree to anything.

Of course. By scientific sense, I mean you don't believe in God out of faith (only), but because the natural world (the world that science can measure) makes more sense to you if there's a God, than if there is not a God.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 2:22:51 AM
At 8/30/2015 2:19:35 AM, Otokage wrote:

Of course. By scientific sense, I mean you don't believe in God out of faith (only), but because the natural world (the world that science can measure) makes more sense to you if there's a God, than if there is not a God.
No, I do not have blind faith. The Bible has archaeological support and is, in some instances, historically accurate. So I believe int he Bible based on various elements outside of faith. Obviously, the supernatural bit requires faith. As for understanding the natural world in light of a higher power, yes it makes more sense to me.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 2:31:22 AM
At 8/30/2015 2:22:51 AM, tstor wrote:
At 8/30/2015 2:19:35 AM, Otokage wrote:

No, I do not have blind faith. The Bible has archaeological support and is, in some instances, historically accurate. So I believe int he Bible based on various elements outside of faith. Obviously, the supernatural bit requires faith. As for understanding the natural world in light of a higher power, yes it makes more sense to me.

And is there like a... "inflection point" in which you say: ok, this atheist worldview doesn't make sense, christians must be right? I mean when and why did you think this at a time on your life?
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 2:36:07 AM
At 8/30/2015 2:31:22 AM, Otokage wrote:

No, I do not have blind faith. The Bible has archaeological support and is, in some instances, historically accurate. So I believe in the Bible based on various elements outside of faith. Obviously, the supernatural bit requires faith. As for understanding the natural world in light of a higher power, yes it makes more sense to me.

And is there like a... "inflection point" in which you say: ok, this atheist worldview doesn't make sense, christians must be right? I mean when and why did you think this at a time on your life?
Well, I was an atheist from ages 0-15. At age sixteen I was agnostic and now at age seventeen I am a Christian. In short, I began studying Hinduism at age fifteen and Islam at age sixteen. While studying Islam I began to study Christianity. Somewhere at age sixteen I began to have faith in something higher, but I did not know what. This year I decided that 'what' was Christianity. If you want to add me as a friend on here, I will be more than willing to privately message you a more lengthy breakdown of events.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 2:41:46 AM
At 8/30/2015 2:36:07 AM, tstor wrote:
At 8/30/2015 2:31:22 AM, Otokage wrote:

No, I do not have blind faith. The Bible has archaeological support and is, in some instances, historically accurate. So I believe in the Bible based on various elements outside of faith. Obviously, the supernatural bit requires faith. As for understanding the natural world in light of a higher power, yes it makes more sense to me.

Well, I was an atheist from ages 0-15. At age sixteen I was agnostic and now at age seventeen I am a Christian. In short, I began studying Hinduism at age fifteen and Islam at age sixteen. While studying Islam I began to study Christianity. Somewhere at age sixteen I began to have faith in something higher, but I did not know what. This year I decided that 'what' was Christianity. If you want to add me as a friend on here, I will be more than willing to privately message you a more lengthy breakdown of events.

Oh well, you are still a teen, so I imagine your beliefs as an adult will still change to a degree. I asked because I have never met an atheist that becomes religious, much less christian (I mean the closest thing is this friend of mine which is both buddhist and atheist). I find it difficult that a person turns to christianity if he/she has not been indoctrinated from a young age to be a christian, so I expected that there must be something that, like a revelation, made you change your worldview in such a drastic way.
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 2:44:23 AM
At 8/30/2015 2:41:46 AM, Otokage wrote:

Oh well, you are still a teen, so I imagine your beliefs as an adult will still change to a degree. I asked because I have never met an atheist that becomes religious, much less christian (I mean the closest thing is this friend of mine which is both buddhist and atheist). I find it difficult that a person turns to christianity if he/she has not been indoctrinated from a young age to be a christian, so I expected that there must be something that, like a revelation, made you change your worldview in such a drastic way.
Perhaps my beliefs will change. Though right now I feel fairly sure about them.

No, I did not receive a revelation. I have never even had a supernatural experience or 'sign'.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 2:47:52 AM
At 8/30/2015 2:44:23 AM, tstor wrote:
At 8/30/2015 2:41:46 AM, Otokage wrote:

Perhaps my beliefs will change. Though right now I feel fairly sure about them.

No, I did not receive a revelation. I have never even had a supernatural experience or 'sign'.

Yeah, revelation was just a metaphor, I wasn't insinuating you had an actual one :) I just think there must be something you discovered at that age, that you said: hey this doesn't make any sense! oh wait, if I add God to the equation, then suddenly this is more clear than ever. Get my point?
tstor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 2:54:13 AM
At 8/30/2015 2:47:52 AM, Otokage wrote:

Yeah, revelation was just a metaphor, I wasn't insinuating you had an actual one :) I just think there must be something you discovered at that age, that you said: hey this doesn't make any sense! oh wait, if I add God to the equation, then suddenly this is more clear than ever. Get my point?
Oh yes, I understand what you are getting at. In fact, I have been meaning to articulate a good response for a while now. With that said, I still have yet to do that. One day it just all clicked for me. I would probably not be a Christian if I had just studied Christianity without first looking at Islam and Hinduism. They really promoted the idea of a higher being for me. Perhaps it was the way they were written. The Bible was really the more logical one though (to me), especially when you throw out all the illogical doctrines and dogmas that have created many preconceived ideas for people.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 10:45:44 AM

"out of context" means what, exactly? Lets play a little game here, and see exactly how many times a quote is out of context when used for atheist purposes in this forum, vs how many times its used "in" context by a non-atheist, shall we?

As a for instance, were I to talk about the Flood, on the whole, being immoral, is that in context or out?

If you simply state "The fool in his heard has said there is no God", is that in context, or out?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 6:23:37 PM

Wonder how most people became Christians in the first place?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 6:43:48 PM
At 9/3/2015 6:23:37 PM, ethang5 wrote:

That would make a great poll, and its results might be equally telling.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 6:48:32 PM

They liked the idea a Jew was killed for their sins. And there were a few million more Jews that could be sacrificed now that God made it a fashionable way to earn atonement for their sins.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 6:53:58 PM
At 9/3/2015 6:43:48 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

The results certainly would be telling for Otokage.
SimplyAidan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 6:54:28 PM
At 9/3/2015 6:43:48 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

I went, Christian>Agnostic>Atheist>Agnostic>Paganist>Satanist>Christian.
Hmmm, entropy