Jump to topic:

Hello Atheist pt 2

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 4:36:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Atheism is rarely aligned beyond the "No God doctrine" and usually a secular agenda. I dislike organised religion so I think this is a bad idea. I like the idea of ordained Atheist ministers and organising an Atheist society of sorts but not a Church of Atheism.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 4:39:19 PM
At 9/3/2010 4:36:18 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Atheism is rarely aligned beyond the "No God doctrine" and usually a secular agenda. I dislike organised religion so I think this is a bad idea. I like the idea of ordained Atheist ministers and organising an Atheist society of sorts but not a Church of Atheism.

Why does Atheism need ministers and a society?(Don't get angry people just gathering information. No butt hurt atheist please)
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 4:50:15 PM
At 9/3/2010 4:39:19 PM, MarquisX wrote:

Why does Atheism need ministers and a society?(Don't get angry people just gathering information. No butt hurt atheist please)

So they can legally marry. And as for a society, religion offers community, which Atheism doesn't. Remove the communal advantage of religion and Atheism is more attractive.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 4:52:15 PM
Why would atheism need a church? What are we worshiping? Absolutely ridiculous.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 4:58:29 PM
At 9/3/2010 4:55:58 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 9/3/2010 4:33:48 PM, MarquisX wrote:
http://firstchurchofatheism.com...

What are your thoughts?
That is like water made of fire.

My thoughts exactly which is why I posted here.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:15:48 PM
At 9/3/2010 4:52:15 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Why would atheism need a church? What are we worshiping? Absolutely ridiculous.

i like the idea of being able to get ordained to perform weddings and suchlike, but i will admit the first thing i thought when i saw the page was "hopefully also the last church of atheism". it doesn't make much sense.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:20:05 PM
I like the idea of a "church" of Atheism. The ceremonial and communal aspects of church are a good thing, except an Atheist church would be grounded in truth, not fairy tale.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:28:00 PM
At 9/3/2010 8:20:05 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I like the idea of a "church" of Atheism. The ceremonial and communal aspects of church are a good thing, except an Atheist church would be grounded in truth, not fairy tale.

mindless ritual= good now? :/
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:33:53 PM
At 9/3/2010 8:28:00 PM, belle wrote:

mindless ritual= good now? :/

What's mindless? Ceremony/Ritual is symbolic.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:41:04 PM
At 9/3/2010 8:33:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

sure, in principle, but after doing it multiple times it just becomes a series of actions performed on autopilot. they lose meaning rather quickly.

even beyond that i don't really see the point- what would an atheistic ritual be like?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:45:30 PM
Some atheists would plausibly have use for churches, yeuch though it may be.
But it makes no sense for them to be "churches of atheism."

Church of society worship, church of selfishness for the poor fellows who can't DIY the matter, church of not sticking your neck out-- the possibilities are endless, but you need some doctrine more substantive than "God doesn't exist." At the very least "Church of yelling at people who think God does exist."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:49:11 PM
At 9/3/2010 8:41:04 PM, belle wrote:
At 9/3/2010 8:33:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

sure, in principle, but after doing it multiple times it just becomes a series of actions performed on autopilot.

You mean like church every Sunday? That's not what I had in mind.

they lose meaning rather quickly.

I don't understand the reasoning behind this assertion.

even beyond that i don't really see the point- what would an atheistic ritual be like?

The same, but without references to God, maybe professions of existentialist philosophy.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:53:13 PM
At 9/3/2010 8:49:11 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

The same, but without references to God, maybe professions of existentialist philosophy.

That's a church of existentialism, not a church of atheism. It may be atheist, but it's atheism is not the motive power of the church.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:54:25 PM

Lol.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:56:59 PM
At 9/3/2010 8:49:11 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I don't understand the reasoning behind this assertion.

the more often you do something, the less you think about it while doing it or even notice that you are doing it. since the essence of a ritual is performing the same action repeatedly, such actions tend to become mindless.

i'm also still having trouble with this atheist ritual idea, since all the rituals i can think of involve either appeal to superstitions (if i do x, y will magically happen) or professions of faith. the LAST thing the world needs is atheists professing "faith" to science. and ritual obviously fails to make any magic happen. so whats the point?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 8:59:00 PM
i'm also still having trouble with this atheist ritual idea, since all the rituals i can think of involve either appeal to superstitions (if i do x, y will magically happen) or professions of faith.

It can also be "if I do x, I'll get my blood boiling from the sheer awesomeness of x, and be motivated to get to work making y happen."

That's the reasoning behind Laveyan Satanism's rituals anyway.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 9:05:35 PM
At 9/3/2010 8:54:25 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Lol.

I did too :)

any unqualified professions of "Truth" are, in my mind, evidence of Religiousy conviction.

(unqualified... like asserting it absolutely... not like without reasoning)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 1:06:59 AM
At 9/3/2010 4:33:48 PM, MarquisX wrote:
http://firstchurchofatheism.com...

What are your thoughts?

Hilarious, I am going to get ordained and start a non-holy war.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 1:07:31 AM
At 9/3/2010 4:39:19 PM, MarquisX wrote:

We don't.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 1:25:30 AM
At 9/4/2010 1:20:29 AM, innomen wrote:
Should they have a tax exempt status?

Finally a valid reason for such a Church.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 1:30:46 AM
At 9/4/2010 1:25:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Hey, I'm all for anything that can be deemed tax exempt; i should investigate a church of Innomen to get such a status. However, an atheist church that gets tax exempt status would also have the status of being a religion by such classification. Is such a status acceptable to an atheist?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 1:38:02 AM
At 9/4/2010 1:30:46 AM, innomen wrote:

Hey, I'm all for anything that can be deemed tax exempt; i should investigate a church of Innomen to get such a status. However, an atheist church that gets tax exempt status would also have the status of being a religion by such classification. Is such a status acceptable to an atheist?

The whole idea is absurd, atheism is an intellectual position. Why would I want to form a community or a 'faith' predicated on a single issue. What next, the Church of Euro-skepticism, the Church of Rather liking the idea of Stem cell research?

What would we do on Sundays, slag of the Pope, worship a photograph of Dawkins and then have a great big circle jerk?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 1:42:15 AM
At 9/4/2010 1:38:02 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

The whole idea is absurd, atheism is an intellectual position. Why would I want to form a community or a 'faith' predicated on a single issue. What next, the Church of Euro-skepticism, the Church of Rather liking the idea of Stem cell research?

What would we do on Sundays, slag of the Pope, worship a photograph of Dawkins and then have a great big circle jerk?

Don't ask me it's your church not mine. We have enough of our own problems going on in our church than to worry about what goes on in yours. ;-)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 1:44:06 AM
At 9/4/2010 1:42:15 AM, innomen wrote:

Don't ask me it's your church not mine. We have enough of our own problems going on in our church than to worry about what goes on in yours. ;-)

Hey it's not my Church, I was only going to join because I thought it was a joke!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 1:45:57 AM
At 9/4/2010 1:44:06 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/4/2010 1:42:15 AM, innomen wrote:

Hey it's not my Church, I was only going to join because I thought it was a joke!

Cafeteria atheist.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 9:32:12 AM
At 9/4/2010 1:45:57 AM, innomen wrote:

Cafeteria atheist.

Hehe.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 11:15:26 AM

Church of profit.

The beliefs are that people should make profitable businesses and be exempt from taxes on the profits, on the capital gains of shareholders, the incomes of employees, etc.