annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 8:30:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/26/2015 8:24:02 PM, dhardage wrote:
http://www.msn.com...

That whole story is a joke. Tithing was a national tax imposed on the Jews for the support of their religious/civil state. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the church or Christian benevolence.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 8:43:15 PM

seems to be about? for who? for her? for some church goers who need to find better and more Christian churches? Maybe. It has certainly noy been my experience.

Oh yeah...you're an idiot. almost forgot. a Cherry picking idiot. To come on here and cherry pick ONE instance of a woman's bad experience with her church when there are millions of us who attend every Sunday and love our Churches and find them fulfilling and enriching. what purpose do you think your post serves? confirms your own bias? maybe. that's about it. you're not proving a thing except how little you know about satisfying religious experiences. Or about us who love our churches. Oh, your smarmy little post might get a smiling nod of agreement from some of your fellow atheists who say "yeah another reason religion sucks" but this just shows you guys are in agreement about things you know little about. since you guys never had satisfying Churches you don't know, and think they're all like yours. this is contempt without investigation. and some dude once said that was the biggest type of ignorance there is.
I won't argue that point.
If I did a post on a scientist who just had his theory debunked after years and years and posted it and said "this is what science is ALL about" you atheists would pitch a fit and accuse me of cherry picking.
quid pro quo.

God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 9:40:48 PM
At 8/26/2015 8:43:15 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

seems to be about? for who? for her? for some church goers who need to find better and more Christian churches? Maybe. It has certainly noy been my experience.

Oh yeah...you're an idiot. almost forgot. a Cherry picking idiot. To come on here and cherry pick ONE instance of a woman's bad experience with her church when there are millions of us who attend every Sunday and love our Churches and find them fulfilling and enriching. what purpose do you think your post serves? confirms your own bias? maybe. that's about it. you're not proving a thing except how little you know about satisfying religious experiences. Or about us who love our churches. Oh, your smarmy little post might get a smiling nod of agreement from some of your fellow atheists who say "yeah another reason religion sucks" but this just shows you guys are in agreement about things you know little about. since you guys never had satisfying Churches you don't know, and think they're all like yours. this is contempt without investigation. and some dude once said that was the biggest type of ignorance there is.
If I did a post on a scientist who just had his theory debunked after years and years and posted it and said "this is what science is ALL about" you atheists would pitch a fit and accuse me of cherry picking.
quid pro quo.

God Bless.

Ah, the wonderful Christian habit of name calling anyone who doesn't like them. Sorry you can't do better than act like a child and, if you read the article, you saw that it was more than one person. Churches are becoming more and more like businesses every day and if you aren't aware of that then you're just out of touch with reality. As for idiot? Well, I'll match my IQ against yours and I an retain my sense of civility even when I don't agree. Somehow I find my response a bit more mature.

If you did post such an article then I'd agree, that is what science is about. Theories are constantly being tested and when one is demonstrated to be invalid,. it is updated or even replaced. Sorry you think that's a problem.

Did you know delusions of grandeur, such as being 'chosen' by God, are classic symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 9:55:49 PM

A copy of the letter of removal can be found here: [http://40.media.tumblr.com...]. I excerpt below:

This is to certify that you Josephine King has [sic] shown Non support for First African Baptist Church in Bainbridge, Georgia and are in violation of the policy 3 membership section 1. Josephine King has shown non support in the area of consistent and constant financial and physical participation with church activities and functions. It has been properly documents [sic] that because of this constant and consistent non support, The First African Baptist Church of Bainbridge, Georgia in conjunction with Derek Mike pastor whom [sic] has been given full charge of all administrative, executive, and pastoral decisions on behalf of First African Baptist Church of Bainbridge, Georgia does implement the following actions: removal from active status or what is considered in the Missionary Baptist Church as Suspension of Active Membership.

So perhaps this church does good works... but not for long-serving members no longer able to tithe or get around much.

Is this the church supporting members, or members supporting clergy?

Have I mentioned lately how egregious it is to claim authority from theology, and how corrupt are the people doing so?

Now would seem a good time to mention it.

[Also... I despair of clergy ever understanding science, when some don't even get grammar. :p]
harvester
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 11:27:12 PM
At 8/26/2015 9:55:49 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

A copy of the letter of removal can be found here: [http://40.media.tumblr.com...]. I excerpt below:

This is to certify that you Josephine King has [sic] shown Non support for First African Baptist Church in Bainbridge, Georgia and are in violation of the policy 3 membership section 1. Josephine King has shown non support in the area of consistent and constant financial and physical participation with church activities and functions. It has been properly documents [sic] that because of this constant and consistent non support, The First African Baptist Church of Bainbridge, Georgia in conjunction with Derek Mike pastor whom [sic] has been given full charge of all administrative, executive, and pastoral decisions on behalf of First African Baptist Church of Bainbridge, Georgia does implement the following actions: removal from active status or what is considered in the Missionary Baptist Church as Suspension of Active Membership.

So perhaps this church does good works... but not for long-serving members no longer able to tithe or get around much.

Is this the church supporting members, or members supporting clergy?

Have I mentioned lately how egregious it is to claim authority from theology, and how corrupt are the people doing so?

Now would seem a good time to mention it.

[Also... I despair of clergy ever understanding science, when some don't even get grammar. :p] : :

Christians don't know that Jesus preached an invisible church called the Word of God. If they understood the Beast that influences their minds, they would never build another church building again or worship a dead Jesus.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2015 5:30:18 PM

I have never tithed in to a church, I give an offering when ever I go, I have never ever be told I am not welcome in any fellowship I have been too...
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2015 6:50:34 PM
At 8/27/2015 5:30:18 PM, graceofgod wrote:

I have never tithed in to a church, I give an offering when ever I go, I have never ever be told I am not welcome in any fellowship I have been too...

There is no such thing as "tithing" in Christian benevolence. I don't know where that came from, unless they are hearkening back to Judaism. I'd as soon impose any other legalism of the Jewish state upon Christians as advocate "tithing."
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
TheWORDisLIFE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2015 7:20:24 PM

That is exactly what churches are about today. If churches were of God, they'd know that tithes was not money, tithes were crops.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2015 10:01:00 PM
At 8/26/2015 9:40:48 PM, dhardage wrote:

quid pro quo.

God Bless.

Ah, the wonderful Christian habit of name calling anyone who doesn't like them. Sorry you can't do better than act like a child and, if you read the article, you saw that it was more than one person. Churches are becoming more and more like businesses every day and if you aren't aware of that then you're just out of touch with reality. As for idiot? Well, I'll match my IQ against yours and I an retain my sense of civility even when I don't agree. Somehow I find my response a bit more mature.

If you did post such an article then I'd agree, that is what science is about. Theories are constantly being tested and when one is demonstrated to be invalid,. it is updated or even replaced. Sorry you think that's a problem.

Did you know delusions of grandeur, such as being 'chosen' by God, are classic symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia?

Again you cherry pick by claiming that ALL churches are becoming more like businesses. Really? Oh yeah? Which ones? Tell me, with all your vast knowledge. Tell me about MY church, Unity. Come on, man. let's go: tell me that I am wrong when I say that many churches out there still remain pure and simple and True to Christ's Word.
I'm not denying that some organized Religion strays from the Message and gets corrupted. As do ALL man-run things. Again I ask: so what? If that's your point than sure we're in agreement. If though you claim that ALL Christian denominations and churches ARE corrupt or run like businesses and are not following God's Will or Jesus' Teachings, then I say you are wrong. And need to get out more. Don't believe everything yo read, bro. All authors have an agenda, even the ones who are supposed to be objective.

As far as schizophrenia, actually your showing your knowledge of psychology is on par with you knowledge of the state of ALL Christian religion. Paranoid schizophrenia would describe somebody who thinks God is Persecuting or Punishing Him. Delusions of Grandeur are the COMPLETE opposite of that. And are not a part of the Schizophrenic spectrum. Schizo implies a total separatoin from reality--the word means "split mind." Delusions of Grandeur can be nothing more than an oversized ego, or something called narcisistic Personality Disorder.
Just so ya know.

God Bless.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2015 10:20:48 PM
At 8/27/2015 10:01:00 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

quid pro quo.

God Bless.

Again you cherry pick by claiming that ALL churches are becoming more like businesses. Really? Oh yeah? Which ones? Tell me, with all your vast knowledge. Tell me about MY church, Unity. Come on, man. let's go: tell me that I am wrong when I say that many churches out there still remain pure and simple and True to Christ's Word.
I'm not denying that some organized Religion strays from the Message and gets corrupted. As do ALL man-run things.

Unity is based on the writings of the Fillmore's, which are the very definition of Magical Thinking, if not outright deception, fraud, and nonsense. The Fillmore's were business people out to make serious money, and appear to have fabricated their personal "healings".

Unity is decentralized, but the local churches can operate like a personality cult. There is a recent example of a Unity leader, who was busted for having sex with many of his female parishioners, sometimes even have oral sex with them in the Unity prayer/treatment room, and then accepting a "donation" to the church after the prayer/treatment/oral sex session!
(this guy must think he is the Unity Midnight Cowboy).
This same man was also busted for taking money from the local Unity church which was falling apart, and Abundantly building himself a massive house!

But guess what? The local board is controlled by his cronies, so he was never fired, and is still there, still in control. After the sex-money scandal, many people left the local Unity church, but some stayed, and then they just start over again.

I know those who believe in Unity consider Unity to hold the Truth. But Unity appears to be based on a fraud and is basically a big moneymaking machine.
Unity may seem benign for those who choose not to look deeper, but the facts show that Unity, even though is decentralized, is pretty much rotten to the core.
Power and Money corrupt, and Unity is no exception.

Unity also utterly opposes critical thinking.
But those on the New Thought gravy train, charging people $150 an hour for "treatments" are of course going to want to keep the money flowing in.
Unity is a massive cash-cow for those on the receiving end.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 1:33:11 PM

quid pro quo.

God Bless.

Again you cherry pick by claiming that ALL churches are becoming more like businesses.

I did make a rather broad statement and it is not true for all churches, but this story is not uncommon among all the people I know. I will modify my remark and say that this is what many churches are becoming all about.

Really? Oh yeah? Which ones? Tell me, with all your vast knowledge. Tell me about MY church, Unity. Come on, man. let's go: tell me that I am wrong when I say that many churches out there still remain pure and simple and True to Christ's Word.
I'm not denying that some organized Religion strays from the Message and gets corrupted. As do ALL man-run things. Again I ask: so what? If that's your point than sure we're in agreement. If though you claim that ALL Christian denominations and churches ARE corrupt or run like businesses and are not following God's Will or Jesus' Teachings, then I say you are wrong. And need to get out more. Don't believe everything yo read, bro. All authors have an agenda, even the ones who are supposed to be objective.

As far as schizophrenia, actually your showing your knowledge of psychology is on par with you knowledge of the state of ALL Christian religion. Paranoid schizophrenia would describe somebody who thinks God is Persecuting or Punishing Him. Delusions of Grandeur are the COMPLETE opposite of that. And are not a part of the Schizophrenic spectrum.

You should really read a bit more. Delusions of persecution AND grandeur are part of the symptomology of paranoia and the concept of another personality (God, in this case) constant with you and watching you is clearly a schism in the personality of an individual. This is, according to some schools of thought, why religious people are so offended when their God is criticized, because their God is actually themselves.

Schizo implies a total separatoin from reality--the word means "split mind." Delusions of Grandeur can be nothing more than an oversized ego, or something called narcisistic Personality Disorder.

I agree that narcissism in the extreme can result in overly high opinions of one's importance but that does not imply delusions of any kind.

Just so ya know.

God Bless.

Just so you know.

Think.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 9:01:26 PM
At 8/28/2015 1:33:11 PM, dhardage wrote:

quid pro quo.

God Bless.

Again you cherry pick by claiming that ALL churches are becoming more like businesses.

I did make a rather broad statement and it is not true for all churches, but this story is not uncommon among all the people I know. I will modify my remark and say that this is what many churches are becoming all about.

Really? Oh yeah? Which ones? Tell me, with all your vast knowledge. Tell me about MY church, Unity. Come on, man. let's go: tell me that I am wrong when I say that many churches out there still remain pure and simple and True to Christ's Word.

As far as schizophrenia, actually your showing your knowledge of psychology is on par with you knowledge of the state of ALL Christian religion. Paranoid schizophrenia would describe somebody who thinks God is Persecuting or Punishing Him. Delusions of Grandeur are the COMPLETE opposite of that. And are not a part of the Schizophrenic spectrum.

You should really read a bit more. Delusions of persecution AND grandeur are part of the symptomology of paranoia and the concept of another personality (God, in this case) constant with you and watching you is clearly a schism in the personality of an individual. This is, according to some schools of thought, why religious people are so offended when their God is criticized, because their God is actually themselves.

Schizo implies a total separatoin from reality--the word means "split mind." Delusions of Grandeur can be nothing more than an oversized ego, or something called narcisistic Personality Disorder.

I agree that narcissism in the extreme can result in overly high opinions of one's importance but that does not imply delusions of any kind.

Just so ya know.

God Bless.

Just so you know.

LOL..narcissism IS over-high opinions of one self. And NO it doesn't imply hallucinations like schizophrenia does. AND knowing and Experiencing God also does not entail either of those things. Just because somebody afflicted with Schiz might THINK God id talking to them or punishing them does not mean God does not REALLY do those things. It's like somebody who thinks He's an astronaut. Or a math genius, but is not. Does this mean there are NO astronauts or math geniuses? Nope.

Just so ya know.

God Bless.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 9:18:20 PM
At 8/28/2015 9:01:26 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

LOL..narcissism IS over-high opinions of one self. And NO it doesn't imply hallucinations like schizophrenia does. AND knowing and Experiencing God also does not entail either of those things. Just because somebody afflicted with Schiz might THINK God id talking to them or punishing them does not mean God does not REALLY do those things. It's like somebody who thinks He's an astronaut. Or a math genius, but is not. Does this mean there are NO astronauts or math geniuses? Nope.

Yeah, the problem with your analogy, as is the problem with most analogies like that from believers, is that astronauts and math geniuses are real things, they are people, which you fallaciously are comparing to a god, which has never been shown to exist. If you want your analogy to be valid, you need to compare your god with any other mythical characters, like Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy.

So yes, that could be an indication of schizophrenia and hallucinations.

Glad to have helped. Carry on.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth