Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 5:29:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A question to Christians.

Jesus told this to Mary.

John 20:17
Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Here he says not to make contact with him because he is not gone to his Father.

But here Thomas did get his proof not just by seeing him but also touching his wounds.

24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: [then] came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace [be] unto you.
27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust [it] into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed [are] they that have not seen, and [yet] have believed.

So in one Jesus stated not to hold/touch him because he has not returned to the FATHER. As the other he did allow himself to be touched so Thomas could believe that HE is HE.

So I'm guessing that with Thomas he had already gone to the Father and come back to visit them. And that is the answer or is there something else that I'm not understanding?

Maybe he was just in a spiritual body with Mary and her hand would just go through him at the time? Not sure. Thanks for your time.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 7:44:26 PM
At 8/29/2015 5:29:15 PM, seeu46 wrote:

Jesus told this to Mary.

Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

But here Thomas did get his proof not just by seeing him but also touching his wounds.

24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: [then] came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace [be] unto you.
27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust [it] into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed [are] they that have not seen, and [yet] have believed.

So in one Jesus stated not to hold/touch him because he has not returned to the FATHER. As the other he did allow himself to be touched so Thomas could believe that HE is HE.

So I'm guessing that with Thomas he had already gone to the Father and come back to visit them. And that is the answer or is there something else that I'm not understanding?

Maybe he was just in a spiritual body with Mary and her hand would just go through him at the time? Not sure. Thanks for your time.

Hey See! Good to SEE you. This is a great great question. We actually talked about it once in my Church, in fact, just a couple weeks ago. (Here we go again...God working his Wonders and Signs!!!)
So maybe I can try to give you my humble opinion on tius passages.......

In John 20:17, the word translated "touch" is a Greek word which means "to cling to""..So this wasn"t just a touch; it was a grip. And then when Mary recognized Jesus, she immediately clung to Him. (If you check out Matthew, that book also has the other women doing the same thing when they saw the resurrected Christ.

So I think that Mary"s reaction was motivated, by a few things here. One yeah, COULD be her loving to the Lord. See....she's overwhelmed by the events of the morning, and as her grief turns to joy, she naturally embraces Jesus. BUT....yet another motivation is Mary"s desire to restore the fellowship that JCs death had broken.---yeah...she had lost Him once, and she was going to make sure she didn"t lose Him again!! she wanted to keep Jesus with her always.
but it was never JCs" plan to stay in this world forever, and His resurrection was not to be seen as His promised return!! (Many Cjhristians get this wrong).. Thas why He tells Mary of the ascension----His plan was to ascend to the Father and then send the Holy Spirit. Fellowship with Jesus would continue, but it would be a spiritual communion and not a physical presence.

so In loosening Mary"s hold on Him, Jesus was basically saying "I know you desire to keep Me here, always present with you. I know you want everything to be just the same as before I died. But our relationship is gonna change. I"m going to heaven, and youll have the comfortor (Holy Spirit) in My place. You need to start walking by faith, Mary, not by sight."

Faith, bro!!! what do you think of this interpetation! Let me know. hope this helps..and thansk for the thread!! God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
skinker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 8:11:54 PM
While on earth, Jesus Christ was the Son of Man, i.e. the earthly Messiah who follows the heavenly Messiah in its spiritual relationship to God Most High, Jesus' heavenly Father. But once ascended to heaven there is a spiritual melding of Father and Son, God and Messiah, so that Jesus actually becomes One with God Most High. When he descends again to earth he addresses the disciples as a father would saying "My children..."

Father Jesus guides me while Grandfather EL Elyon guides Father Jesus who is sitting at His right hand side when duty calls.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 9:42:03 PM

Jesus told this to Mary.

you might enjoy this debate between Ahmed Deedat and Bishop General Wakefield the subject is - Was Jesus Christ Crucified?

"for I am not yet ascended to my Father" meaning he didnt die yet, if he did he would be seen by his disciples as a spirit because men only die once after that they get spiritualize, and if u read the story before that incident when Jesus went to the upper room the disciples were frightened because they tought he was a spirit, but Jesus assured them the contrary, thomas wasnt there in the room so he think he was a spirit (Jesus), so now Jesus tells him for his assurance to touch him because u cant touch a spirit, meaning he didnt die! great debate btw u should watch it...
Never fart near dog
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 9:42:33 PM
At 8/29/2015 9:42:03 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:

Jesus told this to Mary.

you might enjoy this debate between Ahmed Deedat and Bishop General Wakefield the subject is - Was Jesus Christ Crucified?

"for I am not yet ascended to my Father" meaning he didnt die yet, if he did he would be seen by his disciples as a spirit because men only die once after that they get spiritualize, and if u read the story before that incident when Jesus went to the upper room the disciples were frightened because they tought he was a spirit, but Jesus assured them the contrary, thomas wasnt there in the room so he think he was a spirit (Jesus), so now Jesus tells him for his assurance to touch him because u cant touch a spirit, meaning he didnt die! great debate btw u should watch it...

https://www.youtube.com...
Never fart near dog
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 2:19:58 PM
At 8/29/2015 7:44:26 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Jesus told this to Mary.

Hey See! Good to SEE you. This is a great great question. We actually talked about it once in my Church, in fact, just a couple weeks ago. (Here we go again...God working his Wonders and Signs!!!)

In John 20:17, the word translated "touch" is a Greek word which means "to cling to""..So this wasn"t just a touch; it was a grip. And then when Mary recognized Jesus, she immediately clung to Him. (If you check out Matthew, that book also has the other women doing the same thing when they saw the resurrected Christ.

So I think that Mary"s reaction was motivated, by a few things here. One yeah, COULD be her loving to the Lord. See....she's overwhelmed by the events of the morning, and as her grief turns to joy, she naturally embraces Jesus. BUT....yet another motivation is Mary"s desire to restore the fellowship that JCs death had broken.---yeah...she had lost Him once, and she was going to make sure she didn"t lose Him again!! she wanted to keep Jesus with her always.
but it was never JCs" plan to stay in this world forever, and His resurrection was not to be seen as His promised return!! (Many Cjhristians get this wrong).. Thas why He tells Mary of the ascension----His plan was to ascend to the Father and then send the Holy Spirit. Fellowship with Jesus would continue, but it would be a spiritual communion and not a physical presence.

so In loosening Mary"s hold on Him, Jesus was basically saying "I know you desire to keep Me here, always present with you. I know you want everything to be just the same as before I died. But our relationship is gonna change. I"m going to heaven, and youll have the comfortor (Holy Spirit) in My place. You need to start walking by faith, Mary, not by sight."

Faith, bro!!! what do you think of this interpetation! Let me know. hope this helps..and thansk for the thread!! God Bless.

Wow. Thank you for that. I really appreciate you taking the time to write your analysis for that.

Something also that I believe, is that Jesus knew she needed to see and hear this. That HE goes back to the FATHER. A power that HE alone knows to change her faith to the next level if you will. To truly believe in his name and know that he is the savior of the world(The Christ). Just like Thomas who made his faith into knowledge for himself, to truly believe by seeing and testing the Christ by examining the wounds and feeling the wounds.

Unfortunately this cross carrying is a heavier work, for those that have seen HIM. For they have a much greater responsibility, then those that are blessed by just believing without seeing HIM. What do you think? How did you come to the living GOD? I would like to know and hear your testimony. When did you truly believe and you knew HE got you.
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 4:14:38 PM

Jesus told this to Mary.

Clearly this is another sign from God. I mean it just weeks ago when this same topic was discussed in your church, so obviously God does not work in mysterious ways, because God is constantly manifesting His will; like that time in the park when the pages of your Bible stopped blowing in the wind, or the burning bush event that had your curtains on fire while flaming manifestations of the Most High spoke to you, or maybe it was the alcohol and careless use of matches, but nevertheless -- God exists.

August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 2:45:13 AM
At 8/30/2015 4:14:38 PM, Serato wrote:

Jesus told this to Mary.

Clearly this is another sign from God. I mean it just weeks ago when this same topic was discussed in your church, so obviously God does not work in mysterious ways, because God is constantly manifesting His will; like that time in the park when the pages of your Bible stopped blowing in the wind, or the burning bush event that had your curtains on fire while flaming manifestations of the Most High spoke to you, or maybe it was the alcohol and careless use of matches, but nevertheless -- God exists.

ad!! God Bless.

Yes I agree with you, Serato. God does indeed Exist and has shown me His Wonders more than once. He has bent His Will for me. For that I am truly in awe and humbled and grateful. As far as the Curtains Splitting in My Room, allow me to gently correct you just a little: they didn't exactly catch fire, it was more like how they would look if somebody was cutting them with a laser, or even one of those mini-torches, from the other side. There WAS a blanket sort of glow frombehind them.When I first saw it, it just annoyed me and I thought it was some sort of street light or spot light shined at my window. So i got up to drop the blind. Then once I got close I was like "WTF?" and saw this thin, intense line of light (fire") tracing aperfect seam in them from top to bottom. This made me step back, and I turned to the table by the bed to grab a pitcher of melted ice water to douse them with. I was thinking maybe there was a fire on the outside of the wall or something, creeping into my room.
I soon saw this was NOT the case. The light extended form the bottom of the curtian, across the sill, acorss the table to the bed and to the bible that was laying on my bed. This TRACE was not as intense, more like just a flashlight beam, but an oraange.gold color.It lit-up the Bible and the page, from mattew and the scene of the Tearing of the Temple Veil as JC expired on the Cross. (The Bible was closed and face down before. As I had dleiberately dlammed it down in disgust. I had tried to read a little after the Angel gave it to me and said "You will need this." But then thought, "BS." And tossed oit down, with the back cover facing up.

When I saw the curtain werent really burning--but there WAS smoke--it smelled like incense!! I didnt splash the water. When the manager came in later after the smoke detector went off, he also accused my of lighting incense. Thought I did NOT, and I NEVER burned it, and had none in the room. he could find none. But he smelled the incense. He admitted he couldnt figure out how the curtains were burnt since it was ssuch a perfect seam. He said something about it looking like somebody took a soldering iron to them. They edges were melted smooth almost like a factory hem!!
the Bible page was slightly singed on its edges as well, and a little crispy. After my deep sleep the next morningI woke up and the Bible was on the nightstand turned to that same Fateful Page!! But here's the deal on THAT: after this Vision and I was blessed with this crazy, warm, euphoric feeling that all my troubles were over and a new life had begun, I read a couple psalms, and then very slowly and deliberately shut the bible, ran my hands over the covers, kissed it, and put it in the drawer of the nightstand, with my wallet and car keys, and gun, on top!
Next morning, Bible is out of the drawer and opened on top of the nighstand.
ALSO: my gun was empty of ammo, and I could never find it. I searched the entire room! It was of course full and locked and loaded when I arrived in the room the previous evening.

As far as the alcohol....why would even mention it? if i was making thus all up? since it is obviously a red flag for the truth of the story to anyobdy reading that I admitted having two drinks? LOL. I would not mention ANY booze! But I DID since I tried to relate the story to the very best of my memory. I had exactly two drinks--probably a total of four ounces of vodka, which at that time in my life was nothing. I could drink a pint and function perfectly--and DID all the time. I was in no way shape or form anywhere near inebriation, or even diminished thought.

thank you for your reply, and agreeing with me about God existing!!! I am happy for you that He is in your life as well!!

God Bless
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 3:34:58 AM
At 8/31/2015 2:45:13 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
Serato wrote:

Yes I agree with you, Serato. God does indeed Exist and has shown me His Wonders more than once. He has bent His Will for me. For that I am truly in awe and humbled and grateful. As far as the Curtains Splitting in My Room, allow me to gently correct you just a little: they didn't exactly catch fire, it was more like how they would look if somebody was cutting them with a laser, or even one of those mini-torches, from the other side. There WAS a blanket sort of glow frombehind them.When I first saw it, it just annoyed me and I thought it was some sort of street light or spot light shined at my window. So i got up to drop the blind. Then once I got close I was like "WTF?" and saw this thin, intense line of light (fire") tracing aperfect seam in them from top to bottom. This made me step back, and I turned to the table by the bed to grab a pitcher of melted ice water to douse them with. I was thinking maybe there was a fire on the outside of the wall or something, creeping into my room.
I soon saw this was NOT the case. The light extended form the bottom of the curtian, across the sill, acorss the table to the bed and to the bible that was laying on my bed. This TRACE was not as intense, more like just a flashlight beam, but an oraange.gold color.It lit-up the Bible and the page, from mattew and the scene of the Tearing of the Temple Veil as JC expired on the Cross. (The Bible was closed and face down before. As I had dleiberately dlammed it down in disgust. I had tried to read a little after the Angel gave it to me and said "You will need this." But then thought, "BS." And tossed oit down, with the back cover facing up.

When I saw the curtain werent really burning--but there WAS smoke--it smelled like incense!! I didnt splash the water. When the manager came in later after the smoke detector went off, he also accused my of lighting incense. Thought I did NOT, and I NEVER burned it, and had none in the room. he could find none. But he smelled the incense. He admitted he couldnt figure out how the curtains were burnt since it was ssuch a perfect seam. He said something about it looking like somebody took a soldering iron to them. They edges were melted smooth almost like a factory hem!!
the Bible page was slightly singed on its edges as well, and a little crispy. After my deep sleep the next morningI woke up and the Bible was on the nightstand turned to that same Fateful Page!! But here's the deal on THAT: after this Vision and I was blessed with this crazy, warm, euphoric feeling that all my troubles were over and a new life had begun, I read a couple psalms, and then very slowly and deliberately shut the bible, ran my hands over the covers, kissed it, and put it in the drawer of the nightstand, with my wallet and car keys, and gun, on top!
Next morning, Bible is out of the drawer and opened on top of the nighstand.
ALSO: my gun was empty of ammo, and I could never find it. I searched the entire room! It was of course full and locked and loaded when I arrived in the room the previous evening.

As far as the alcohol....why would even mention it? if i was making thus all up? since it is obviously a red flag for the truth of the story to anyobdy reading that I admitted having two drinks? LOL. I would not mention ANY booze! But I DID since I tried to relate the story to the very best of my memory. I had exactly two drinks--probably a total of four ounces of vodka, which at that time in my life was nothing. I could drink a pint and function perfectly--and DID all the time. I was in no way shape or form anywhere near inebriation, or even diminished thought.

thank you for your reply, and agreeing with me about God existing!!! I am happy for you that He is in

Well that is certainly an interesting story. Did you take any pictures? And if I recall correctly, this was the event that turned you away from being an Atheist, if so, why were you reading the Bible that night? This story of yours is unique in that physical evidence was left behind. I hope pictures were taken. If you have pictures, could you post them?
the_titan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 3:40:40 AM

Jesus told this to Mary.

Maybe he was just in a spiritual body with Mary and her hand would just go through him at the time? Not sure. Thanks for your time. : :

Do you actually believe that story told by the heathens who worship Jesus as their King and Savior?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 1:21:18 PM

Jesus told this to Mary.

That is a load of rubbish. The women were going to anoint Jesus which would involve touching him all over.

Mark 16:Jesus Has Risen
16 When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus" body. 2 Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb 3 and they asked each other, "Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?"

The same excited Mary grabs Jesus's feet.

Matthew 28:8 So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples. 9 Suddenly Jesus met them. "Greetings," he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him. 10 Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me."

The accounts of the resurrection in Mark, Matthew, Luke and John all differ because it is all a lie and made up. That is why the stories are full of inconsistencies.

The stone is moved as they approach the tomb. The tomb is empty, Jesus is gone. They meet him on the way. They touch his feet. He tells them he will be in Galilee.

Matthew 28:28 After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.

2 There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. 3 His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. 4 The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men.

5 The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6 He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. 7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples: "He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him." Now I have told you."

8 So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples. 9 Suddenly Jesus met them. "Greetings," he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him. 10 Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me."
---
The tomb is already open when Mary gets there. Jesus was in the tomb and spoke to Mary. She told the disciples she saw Jesus.

John 20:Jesus Appears to Mary Magdalene
11 Now Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb 12 and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus" body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot.

13 They asked her, "Woman, why are you crying?"

"They have taken my Lord away," she said, "and I don"t know where they have put him." 14 At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus.

15 He asked her, "Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?"

Thinking he was the gardener, she said, "Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him."

16 Jesus said to her, "Mary."

She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, "Rabboni!" (which means "Teacher").

17 Jesus said, "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, "I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.""

18 Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: "I have seen the Lord!" And she told them that he had said these things to her.
----
The tomb is already open when they get there. A messenger told them Jesus was on his way to Galilee and to go tell the disciples. They told no one because they were afraid.

Mark 16:Jesus Has Risen
16 When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus" body. 2 Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb 3 and they asked each other, "Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?"

4 But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away. 5 As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed.

6 "Don"t be alarmed," he said. "You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him. 7 But go, tell his disciples and Peter, "He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.""

8 Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid.[a]

----
The tomb was open. No body found, stone is rolled away. There were several women present who told the disciples about the empty tomb.

Luke 24:24 On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb. 2 They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, 3 but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. 4 While they were wondering about this, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them. 5 In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, "Why do you look for the living among the dead? 6 He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: 7 "The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again." " 8 Then they remembered his words.

9 When they came back from the tomb, they told all these things to the Eleven and to all the others. 10 It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the others with them who told this to the apostles. 11 But they did not believe the women, because their words seemed to them like nonsense. 12 Peter, however, got up and ran to the tomb. Bending over, he saw the strips of linen lying by themselves, and he went away, wondering to himself what had happened.
DavidHenson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 2:10:28 PM
The Greek word translated touch can also mean to cling to, hang on by, lay hold of, grasp, handle. So the NJB, NWT, NEB uses the term "Stop clinging to me." She was trying to prevent him from leaving and his response was to tell her to go inform the disciples, and so encouraging her on his seeing her later. Keep in mind that he had no objection when the other women touched him. Matthew 28:9
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 2:23:37 PM
At 9/1/2015 2:10:28 PM, DavidHenson wrote:
The Greek word translated touch can also mean to cling to, hang on by, lay hold of, grasp, handle. So the NJB, NWT, NEB uses the term "Stop clinging to me." She was trying to prevent him from leaving and his response was to tell her to go inform the disciples, and so encouraging her on his seeing her later. Keep in mind that he had no objection when the other women touched him. Matthew 28:9

Mary is the only one mentioned in all 4 accounts(Luke, Matthew, Mark and John). She was also among the women mentioned in Matthew 28. Who clasped Jesus's feet.

Matthew 28:28 After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.

Matthew 28:8 So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples. 9 Suddenly Jesus met them. "Greetings," he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him. 10 Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me."